• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cruz is going to win in 2020 and we will be stuck with him for eight years =(...Clinton is Carter =(

Honestly I could see this happening.

Thankfully, the GOP is never letting this idiot get anywhere near the nomination again, so probably not. This probably explains why he's shooting his wad right now with this VP pick like he was back in a Harvard dorm room rubbing up against a body pillow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You know, the real best case scenario for the Dems would be Trump hitting 1237, and still getting it stolen from him. There's nothing that says the GOP can't change that rule about binding the party to the first ballot, or anything of the sort. They don't have to listen to the old rules going into the convention.

I said this a few days ago as well. We even had a RNC official say the 1237 number didn't mean anything.

I said this a few days ago as well. We even had a RNC official say the 1237 number didn't mean anything.
It is the best case scenario.. I still don't think they would have the balls to do it. It will fracture the party on the national level and it will be insanely difficult to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

studyguy

Work is awful today and OT is equally as bad.
Dropped my work phone during a critical week where people are out too so I'm double fucked. Triple fucked because I got shit to do later today and no time to be here. At least I still have Ted/Fiorina to laugh at.

FUCK

tmarg

Trump would certainly run 3rd party, but I'm not sure that's the best case scenario. Just trump or just Cruz would probably be better for down ballot contests.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In retrospect that moment on stage where they made everyone pledge to "support the Republican nominee" is the most amazing backfire in major politics in...decades

Emarv

How much longer does Trump have to get the paperwork necessary to even run 3rd party? The deadlines have to be soon.

I guess he could always run on the Constitution Party ticket if they let him.

studyguy

angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

The goalpost might start flying soon too.

I'm beginning to think that I want Trump to be about fifty or fewer delegates out from the nomination going into the convention, where Cruz wins the nomination via multi-ballot process. I think the down ballot wreckage for the GOP would be almost as bad because they'd turn off their voters, and Cruz doesn't have Trump's weird charisma to help save him (and neither does Fiorina).

That's splitting hairs, though because either Trump or Cruz after the first ballot looks utterly toxic and liable to hand the Senate back to the Democratic Party. But yeah, Cruz might actually be the better opponent based on the current conditions of the race.

ampere

Someone on my twitter feed is trying to argue that Jill Stein is a better candidate than Clinton. I know we spent a few pages shitting on Stein but does anyone have a summary? I don't want to have to search through a bunch of pages from a few days ago.

She thinks nuclear power plants are literally nuclear bombs lol

"Doctor"

Bowdz

It doesn't matter what one official has to say. I would bet everything on them not changing the rules and stealing it from him if he gets to 1237 especially so they can just give it to Ted Cruz. It won't happen because it is the only scenario that would be worse than Trump being the nominee. It would shatter the party beyond repair and make them lose any semblance of legitimacy. Officials and rulemakers can get away with saying that now because Trump is not at 1237 yet. Once he gets their, this type of chatter will disappear.

Oh please oh please let the RNC take the nomination from Trump. I'm more convinced then ever he would run third party
There is no way that after all the bullshit that they have done and still he ends up with the nomination and then they fuck him.

That would be a guarantee that he would a way to fuck them over.

How much longer does Trump have to get the paperwork necessary to even run 3rd party? The deadlines have to be soon.

That probably will be the strategy.

The deadlines are largely past, any third party run from anyone will require an existing party with ballot access to take over. The time to start an independent run was around the time Bloomberg made that announcement that he wouldn't run.

How about this scenario? Trump gets to 1237, but the RNC tries to steal the nomination from him via rules changes and fails. They'd be saddled with Trump as their nominee and have to deal with the fallout of openly trying to steal the nomination.

Enough of this revisionist bullshit with George H. W. Bush. The very name makes my blood boil. During his presidency we funneled arms and support to Iraq for fighting against Iran and even allowed him to purchase materials and equipment necessary to start a nuclear program (this is public, declassified information). And then he decided to start a war that put my dad in the Persian Gulf. Suddenly all the veterans proud of serving under Reagan were fighting against Iraqis. I guarantee you Clinton wouldn't have made the same idiotic decision of weaponizing a rogue dictator (I will eat crow if he has).

If you guys want to give that asshole a free pass because he made the brain dead simple decision of raising taxes during a recession + deficit then be my guest but I will never praise the man for anything he did because he doesn't deserve it.

I don't really get why Cruz is damaging his future chances with this buffoonery. The 2016 primaries are all but over, but the guy should at least be trying to avoid tainting his image by doing stupid and desperate moves that people will remember,

PBY

Banned
I don't really get why Cruz is damaging his future chances with this buffoonery. The 2016 primaries are all but over, but the guy should at least be trying to avoid tainting his image by doing stupid and desperate moves that people will remember,

But, that's like Ted Cruz's thing.

Holmes

Trump will be a massive failure and he wants to be the hero in 2020 who will be able to say that he fought him until the bitter end.

PBY

Banned
Trump will be a massive failure and he wants to be the hero in 2020 who will be able to say that he fought him until the bitter end.

I love the immediate we need to go FURTHER to the right! talk that stirs up after these losses.

GOP will never learn.

Gravis is the ABSOLUTE WORST pollster there is.

Back in January, Gravis conducted a poll for former state Del. Michael Smigiel, who was challenging Rep. Andy Harris in the GOP primary in Maryland’s conservative 1st Congressional District. Smigiel's poll gave him an impossible 58-29 lead on Harris, and we knew, just knew, that those numbers had to be total bullshit, but we didn't find out why until Politico's Steve Sheppard discovered that Gravis had conducted a so-called "informed ballot" poll.

In such a poll, respondents are given information about each candidate before asking which they'd prefer in a direct matchup. That's contrasted with an "initial ballot" test, where voters are asked for their preferences without hearing any candidate information; usually you ask both, with the initial ballot, as you'd expect, coming first.

Informed ballots are common practice, but if you're releasing informed ballot numbers, you simply have to explain that that's what they are. Ordinarily, in fact, we wouldn't even bother to assess how well informed ballots stack up against actual election results, since they represent some Platonic ideal of a campaign rather than reality. We also usually don't evaluate polls taken four months before Election Day. But we're making an exception here.

That's because Smigiel went out of his way to conceal the fact that this was not an initial ballot test. Indeed, in his press release, he present his numbers as though they were totally normal. The fact that they weren't only surfaced after Sheppard went digging. This sort of shenanigan would have prompted any legitimate pollster to flip its lid and cut ties to such a shady client, but Gravis did no such thing. So that means this poll is on Gravis, and they have to live with the results.

And the results were beyond brutal. Harris wound up obliterating Smigiel by a 78-11 margin, a net clobbering of 67 points. Remember, though, that Gravis showed Smigiel ahead by 29 points. That means they were off on the final margin by that astounding figure: 96 points. To put this tire fire in context, the worst poll we've ever come across prior to Tuesday was a 52-point miss.

THEY WERE OFF BY 96 POINTS. 96. POINTS. 96.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ter-blew-a-race-by-96-points-on-Tuesday-night

PBY

Banned
Sam Wang ‏@SamWangPhD 18s19 seconds ago
Trump doesn't need Indiana any more. Likely wins in WV, CA, and NJ should do it. Without Indiana, median=1284.

Ironically enough, all he's accomplishing is splitting the anti-Trump vote.
No but don't you see, having two candidates run half-assed campaigns in half the states is clearly the best way to go here

Not say, having one of them drop out so the other can consolidate their support. That would be dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom