• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing one notices at these events is the cnn poeple are really tired of being the whipping boy for all of journalism. By now its become a path well worn to go for the lol cnn joke (you see it in poligaf most often in the form of sarcastic DEAD HEAT posts) and obama got the ohhhhs of hurt for his jake tapper joke. Larry was straight out booed for his one.
Yeah the morning joe joke was the highlight of wilmore's routine, christie got fawkin buried

3phemeral

6BAlAbr.gif

zQh9RK0.gif

That morning Joe burn. My god.

Might have to start watching Larry's show now. That was really great.

So good.

Larry had good lines, but he kinda sucks on delivery.

I do think that he could stand to polish up his delivery a bit more, but I don't think that it was bad. It was sufficient.

I think that Tapper joke was the harshest/best. Willmore was good, but it's still not enough to make me watch his show.

Oh yeah, that Morning Joe joke was good too.

Yeah, not really feeling his show as a whole, but it does have its moments.

Another thing one notices at these events is the cnn poeple are really tired of being the whipping boy for all of journalism. By now its become a path well worn to go for the lol cnn joke (you see it in poligaf most often in the form of sarcastic DEAD HEAT posts) and obama got the ohhhhs of hurt for his jake tapper joke. Larry was straight out booed for his one.
Yeah the morning joe joke was the highlight of wilmore's routine, christie got fawkin buried

In my opinion, the palpable hateration evident amongst the crowd, ESPECIALLY from CNN literally made the whole thing worth watching. You could fill a crater with all of the salt coming off of that crowd.

I wonder what CNN's salt tastes like? :p

Well if youve never had salt before neil it's hard to describe but, basically very sharp and bitter and it dries your mouth out
*tousles hair aggressively* You got fuckin pranked bro

I don't care what percentage of Obama's stuff is prepped for him, but his timing is soooo good. That'd be almost impossible to do if he hadn't gone over it at least once ahead of time. Based on the recorded skits you could tell he was having fun with it. Would pay good money to see Obama do standup if he could deliver like that on his own.

Willmore wasn't bad, but he had a tough act to follow. It felt like that material was written for that audience of course, but stylized in a way that would be more befitting his show that's hard to convey properly in that sort of setting. I saw the internet in general gave far better marks than the audience did.

A note about Bernie-- Although I respect his "every man" attitude, dude, just wear a tux. It's an official Presidential function and you know you're going to be featured because you're on the VIP list. In fact, the donation joke seemed like it was written on the assumption he'd be in a tux. At minimum, something black with matching tie. Much respect to the man in general for actually attending mid-campaign, though.

Would sell my soul to attend one of these things.

I don't care what percentage of Obama's stuff is prepped for him, but his timing is soooo good. That'd be almost impossible to do if he hadn't gone over it at least once ahead of time. Based on the recorded skits you could tell he was having fun with it. Would pay good money to see Obama do standup if he could deliver like that on his own.

Willmore wasn't bad, but he had a tough act to follow. It felt like that material was written for that audience of course, but stylized in a way that would be more befitting his show that's hard to convey properly in that sort of setting. I saw the internet in general gave far better marks than the audience did.

A note about Bernie-- Although I respect his "every man" attitude, dude, just wear a tux. It's an official Presidential function and you know you're going to be featured because you're on the VIP list. In fact, the donation joke seemed like it was written on the assumption he'd be in a tux. At minimum, something black with matching tie. Much respect to the man in general for actually attending mid-campaign, though.

Would sell my soul to attend one of these things.

I agree with everything but the bolded.

First of all, I don't think Bernie even owns a tux, but even ignoring that, he probably finds it absurd to RENT a suit for more than $100.

Looking at his boring ass taxes, I get the impression that Bernie is pretty frugal and just doesn't give a fuck about fancy shit in general. In fact, he looked pretty uncomfortable at the dinner, as if he was embarrassed by showing up to a black tie event in the first place.

I think Bernie attended the dinner purely for more exposure, as sad as that sounds.

Havoc2049

Lolololololololololol

The awkward truth of 'make America great again'

Didn't quote the entire piece so please go read it. I thought this is an interesting opinion piece from CNN. Basically, I find the interesting part to be about such a shift in policies in the Republican side. Look at past Republican presidents like mentioned in the article. They were quite progressive on many things. Chaired Planned Parenthood, established Environmental Policy Act/Clean Air Act, supported Assault Weapon Ban... etc etc. I cannot dream of a modern Republican politicians supporting any of those. Bipartisan teamwork seems to be the norm on most things, you know. Oh, and guess what ? Republican poster boy Reagan supported those progressive policies AND worked with far higher income tax rate. For somebody like Ted Cruz who mentions Reagan at every opportunity he can, why does he not seem to support a single policy that Reagan supports ? Why is it that if Reagan runs for a presidential campaign today, he'd be blasted by the Republican base ? What the heck happened ?

Ehhh....the article cherry picks a lot of things and doesn't go into depth on some. For example, Assault Weapon Ban legislation back in the 20th century is very different from Assault Weapon Ban legislation in the 21st century. Back in the day, assault weapons were things like machine guns, full auto rifles and sub-machine guns, which the majority agreed were not needed in a civilized society. These days, Democrats want to take it a step further and ban some semi-auto weapons that many people would consider defensive weapons, thus infringing on the 2nd Amendment.

Eisenhower's plan to deal with illegal immigration was far more aggressive and offensive than even Donald Trump's plan.

To confuse things even more, Donald Trump supports Planned Parenthood and even praised them in a debate.

I think Donald Trump is very much a northeastern Teddy Roosevelt type Republican, who also created many of the National Parks that American's enjoy.

Looking at his boring ass taxes, I get the impression that Bernie is pretty frugal and just doesn't give a fuck about fancy shit in general.

I think Bernie attended the dinner purely for more exposure, as sad as that sounds.
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on this, but I sorta agree. If he really wanted to fit in as part of the show he would have blended in. Instead he made it loud and clear that it was The Bernie Sanders attending. I don't at all doubt that he doesn't care about the formalities, of course. There's a few different ways to look at Obama's shout out to him, too. "Fresh face of the party"? Is that an age joke? Because he was on a string of jokes about how old he was. Some of /r/s4p, for example, are calling it a compliment. Can't say I agree. Not an insult, either, but definitely an age joke.

But hey, it's nowhere near as awful as the ridiculous stuff Kasich has been pulling for attention the past month. That's a man entirely out of touch with reality. Wonder if he was even invited...

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on this, but I sorta agree. If he really wanted to fit in as part of the show he would have blended in. Instead he made it loud and clear that it was The Bernie Sanders attending. I don't at all doubt that he doesn't care about the formalities, of course. There's a few different ways to look at Obama's shout out to him, too. "Fresh face of the party"? Is that an age joke? Because he was on a string of jokes about how old he was. Some of /r/s4p, for example, are calling it a compliment. Can't say I agree. Not an insult, either, but definitely an age joke.

But hey, it's nowhere near as awful as the ridiculous stuff Kasich has been pulling for attention the past month. That's a man entirely out of touch with reality. Wonder if he was even invited...

It definitely wasn't a compliment, but calling it an insult at a roasting would be ridiculous. It's all in good fun.

My take on the "fresh face" joke was that Obama was touching on the conversation about how Bernie is or isn't a real Democrat, considering that he just joined the party a year ago after serving as an independent for decades.

But it works as an age joke as well. Maybe I was giving the joke more nuance than it deserved.

danm999

Ok, Obama asking Reince Priebus if he really felt he deserved a night off after the job he's done running the Republican nomination process got a huge laugh from me.

These responses from Bernie regarding the WHCD events concern me

TIME: As President you have to preside over state dinners. You have to host the White House Correspondents’ dinner —

Sanders: Ah! Not that! Oh please.

TIME: You have to wear a tuxedo and black ties.

Sanders: O.K., let’s set the record straight. I’m not aware in the Constitution — you may be more of a constitutional scholar than I am — I don’t recall the black ties.

TIME: What about pardoning turkeys? Do you have to pardon a turkey?

Sanders: Turkeys, we can pardon. Let me go on record, you’ve got a scoop, you ready for this? I do not own a tuxedo. Never have I worn a tuxedo.

TIME: Have you ever pardoned a turkey? And would you if elected?

Sanders: No, I like turkey very much, so I’d eat the turkey.

TIME: You’d eat the turkey and pardon another.

Sanders: I’m not against pardoning turkeys.

TIME: These are things that I know from covering you, I can imagine you find frivolous, extraneous to being President.

Sanders: I don’t want to shock you. It’s going to be a rough afternoon for you here. I have been in politics and elected official for 25 years in Congress and eight years before that as a mayor of the largest city in the state of Vermont. So I do know something about what elected officials are supposed to do. These issues are not new to me. I presided over city for eight years, house for 16 and the Senate for nine, so I think I can handle all the ex officio duties that come with being President of the United States.

http://time.com/4183883/bernie-sanders-tuxedo-never-worn/

Would a president Sanders call for a ban on all black tie events in the country? :p

Absolutely disgusting.

I cannot in good conscience support a candidate with such extreme and unacceptable views on formal evening wear.

:p

In all seriousness, he is way too extreme on this issue, IMO. I get why he does it and will defend his right to do so, but I don't personally identify with his philosophy on formalities at all, and I make a fraction of what he makes in a year.

CCS

Banned
In all seriousness, he is way too extreme on this issue, IMO. I get why he does it, but I don't identify with his philosophy on formalities at all, and I make a fraction of what he makes in a year.

I'm with you. Formalities are the heart and soul of civilization.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Holmes

"Talk about your all-time backfires." -- Happy Gilmore

This whole "alliance" thing is going to be etched in history as what not to do when running for president.
That and picking a running mate when you're in a distant second.

I won't be able to make it to chat on Tuesday guys. My mom is visiting and we'll be I'm San Francisco. But it's looking good for queen in Indiana.

ampere

Larry had good lines, but he kinda sucks on delivery.

Generally agree. He didn't know when to stop on a few jokes, but the awkwardness in his delivery where he's stumbling and laughing at his own jokes hurt the performance the most.

He did get Don Lemon and Fox News all pissed off though, props to that.

I loved Obama's "at least Joe didn't shoot anyone in the face" line.

Generally agree. He didn't know when to stop on a few jokes, but the awkwardness in his delivery where he's stumbling and laughing at his own jokes hurt the performance the most.

He did get Don Lemon and Fox News all pissed off though, props to that.

I loved Obama's "at least Joe didn't shoot anyone in the face" line.
Not sure why they went with him. Judging by Gaf response Sam Bee was an infinitely better choice. You need deadpan delivery. Even Obama is good at it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"Talk about your all-time backfires." -- Happy Gilmore

This whole "alliance" thing is going to be etched in history as what not to do when running for president.
It stunk. Every yokel in the world knows what desperation feels like.

I hope Ted drops out.

ivysaur12

Banned
So crazy. Indiana should've been an easy win for Cruz and Sanders. Maybe Bernie still pulls it off, but the Cruz campaign messed up so much this past week for the supposed "disciplined" campaign. Sad!

PBY

Banned
Chuck Todd: If it's a time for choosing as you say. For Trump or against him as nominee?
Cruz: Trump is lying to his supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom