• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy burfday!

I'm also curious what exactly happens if first round delegates defy the rules, that is, what happens if all the Cruz delegates who are supposed to vote for Trump simply vote for Cruz? What is the process for handling rule-breaking?

NeoXChaos

so when they get on that marine One plane in January its not to Chicago? so I guess it means they will wave goodbye by car to some house in DC?

pigeon

Banned
Happy burfday!

I'm also curious what exactly happens if first round delegates defy the rules, that is, what happens if all the Cruz delegates who are supposed to vote for Trump simply vote for Cruz? What is the process for handling rule-breaking?

The votes of bound delegates are actually just ignored and the secretary records the bound vote instead.

I'm infinitely more certain that Hillary will bomb the hell out of these dinners regarding jokes than Bernie ever wearing a tux or not.

She was not made for this stuff.

At the same time, when Obama dropped the mic last night all I could think was that I really will miss him...

Clinton will just need different jokes written for her. Obama was amazing at jokes that hung on the tone of his delivery. Clinton does better with old school Catskill-type jokes. Good writers will be able to prop her up.

The Keeping it 1600 podcast had a really great insight into the joke writing process the other day.

In just over 6 months, we can add another venture Trump drove into the sh*tter:
-The Party of Lincoln.

https://twitter.com/JayCostTWS/status/726784492015353857

Do Republicans actually think that "Party of Lincoln" meant anything after Goldwater? Nixon was a traitor, war criminal, and massive racist. Reagan got famous for praising Goldwater for promoting freedom even though Goldwater was only nominated because he hated black people. Reagan even nominated Trump's main ally and gigantic racist, Jeff Sessions, to the Alabama district court. GW Bush started a war on shaky intelligence that killed 500k just because he was mad at Saddam for trying to kill his dad. And Jerry Ford pardoned Richard Nixon.

For fuck's sake, do you really think that "The Party of Lincoln" would get <10% of the black vote election after election?

Sibylus

Banned
Tuxedos are whatever, but Bernie comes off as seriously uptight about the whole thing. Just crack a joke and let it pass, dude. Defensiveness into a sales pitch of your political experience makes you look like seven flavors of crotchety.

FsU6ThUh.jpg
It would have been so simple and elegant to just etch their campaign logos onto their sails, rather than doodle their names onto banners as though advertisement planes. Fucking political cartoonists.

At least they didn't label the shark "Trump"

The hair piece was enough, but too many cartoonists seem to like to assume people are morons and can't figure out simple symbols.

The awkward truth of 'make America great again'

Didn't quote the entire piece so please go read it. I thought this is an interesting opinion piece from CNN. Basically, I find the interesting part to be about such a shift in policies in the Republican side. Look at past Republican presidents like mentioned in the article. They were quite progressive on many things. Chaired Planned Parenthood, established Environmental Policy Act/Clean Air Act, supported Assault Weapon Ban... etc etc. I cannot dream of a modern Republican politicians supporting any of those. Bipartisan teamwork seems to be the norm on most things, you know. Oh, and guess what ? Republican poster boy Reagan supported those progressive policies AND worked with far higher income tax rate. For somebody like Ted Cruz who mentions Reagan at every opportunity he can, why does he not seem to support a single policy that Reagan supports ? Why is it that if Reagan runs for a presidential campaign today, he'd be blasted by the Republican base ? What the heck happened ?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Reagan, if he ran today he'd be running on a much more conservative platform than he was back in the 80s.

Sibylus

Banned
Also love how they didn't even deign to scribble HILLARY onto the banner after the first panel.

"Just crosshatch the shit out of it, readership has rocks for brains anyway."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-changing-outlook-for-black-voters/403975/

Their concluding paragraphs mention that more black people voted for Romney than for McCain, wow, sounds important.

McCain black vote: 4%
Romney black vote: 6%

How do people publish these things?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Reagan, if he ran today he'd be running on a much more conservative platform than he was back in the 80s.

Reagan started in politics by claiming that Civil Rights, Social Security, and Medicare were evil. He could pretty easily turn on the fucking wackjob stuff.

It would have been so simple and elegant to just etch their campaign logos onto their sails, rather than doodle their names onto banners as though advertisement planes. Fucking political cartoonists.
See how long it takes after posting a political cartoon for someone to complain about the labeling, this bandwagon is getting old. If the shark had big block letters on its side saying TRUMP I'd agree with you, but the sails? This is nitpick territory, friend.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks increasingly likely Plinko can stop worrying about Cruz and celebrate the reality of Trump as the nominee.

Joyous and yet frighting times coming for the fall.

If you think BernieGAF vs HillaryGAF was nasty wait for TrumpGAF vs HillaryGAF. Its going to be a barn burner.

$46000 in student loans that will be eliminated by the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program in less than four years. I am 100% a president Cruz would have repealed that immediately.

This presidential election means more to me than any other. Bring on Queen Hillary.

Macho Madness said:
I always thought this was a Trump state but everyone kept trying to tell me Cruz had a shot.

Cruz was close before the "alliance" garbage. I also got some really effective pro-Trump mailers this week about how Cruz is a "DC Job Destroyer" that I was sure would help Trump.

User1608

Banned
If you think BernieGAF vs HillaryGAF was nasty wait for TrumpGAF vs HillaryGAF. Its going to be a barn burner.
It's going to be a long, treacherous time for Trump supporters. Hard to defend or make excuses for a bigot who runs on a racist platform and agenda.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Diablos

Well he's right -- the state of US news media is abhorrent.

Thank goodness we have net neutrality. For as much bullshit it allows, it also is the last hope for finding out what is really going on in your country and the world.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-changing-outlook-for-black-voters/403975/

Their concluding paragraphs mention that more black people voted for Romney than for McCain, wow, sounds important.

McCain black vote: 4%
Romney black vote: 6%

How do people publish these things?

Reagan started in politics by claiming that Civil Rights, Social Security, and Medicare were evil. He could pretty easily turn on the fucking wackjob stuff.

He'd be the king of that shit. He'd out Trump Trump and out Cruz Cruz

NeoXChaos

Oh Nate I feel so bad for you. You have to walk this back in 5 weeks.

Stage 6: Endgame

When it happens: June through Republican National Convention, July 18-21
Potential threat to Trump: The Republican Party does everything in its power to deny him the nomination.

If Trump makes it past Stage 4, we&#8217;ll have to consider his campaign successful, up to a point. He&#8217;ll have gotten further than any similar candidate has in the past. But he&#8217;d still be a long way from winning the nomination, and the final two stages might be his hardest yet.

The Republican Party&#8217;s delegate selection rules are straightforward in some states but byzantine in others, especially in caucus states where delegates are sometimes not formally pledged to the candidate who apparently earned their support on election night. Furthermore, about 7 percent of delegates to the RNC are party leaders &#8212; what Democrats would call &#8220;superdelegates&#8221; &#8212; who are usually not bound by the results of the popular vote in their states at all.

This introduces a little bit of slack into the system. It works in favor of establishment-backed candidates, or those who have an intricate understanding of the delegate rules. And it works against candidates like Trump.

Regular FiveThirtyEight readers will be familiar with &#8220;The Party Decides&#8221; paradigm of the nomination process. It posits that the nominee represents the consensus choice of influential members of the party, and that rank-and-file voters serve mostly to vet and validate the candidates in the event of a close call.

Much of the party&#8217;s influence consists of what you might call &#8220;soft power,&#8221; the ability to influence outcomes by persuasion rather than coercion. But the party also has some &#8220;hard power&#8221;: It literally makes the rules. It can rule against candidates it doesn&#8217;t like in the event of delegate-counting disputes. It can probably even change the rules midstream. There isn&#8217;t a lot of precedent to worry about violating, since it&#8217;s been 40 years since Republicans came close to a brokered convention.

If Trump made it this far, the Republican Party would go to extraordinary lengths to avoid nominating him. In &#8220;The Party Decides&#8221; view, parties are basically looking for two things from their nominees: They want them to be reliable (meaning, they can be counted on to enact the Republican agenda once in office), and they want them to be electable (meaning, they can win in November). It&#8217;s hard to think of a candidate who does worse on those two measures than Trump. He&#8217;s exceptionally unpopular among independent voters. But he also has a checkered political past that includes once having supported abortion rights and universal health care. For the Republican Party, he&#8217;s the worst of all possible worlds.

So, how do I wind up with that 2 percent estimate of Trump&#8217;s nomination chances? It&#8217;s what you get3 if you assume he has a 50 percent chance of surviving each subsequent stage of the gantlet.4 Tonight&#8217;s debate could prove to be the beginning of the end for Trump, or he could remain a factor for months to come. But he&#8217;s almost certainly doomed, sooner or later.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

I love how Nate is already planting the seeds for a "the media is responsible for Trump winning" argument.

Just admit you were wrong, Nate.

I don't see the problem with his take. He has admitted he was wrong. His job requires leveraging historical data. The media has demonstrable treated Trump differently than any other candidate in history. The whole thing is a Black Swan type event.

When you are a statistician and you get caught out, your instinct should be to figure out why. I think his approach is more constructive than people pointing at him and calling him mad.

The media isn't at fault for Trump, the GOP base is. So many people just refuse to see the obvious: a large portion of the GOP base doesn't care about their issues, they're just racist.

I wonder how far Nate Silver is willing to take "the media is terrible!" thing. Because Marco Rubio put together the worst set of policies of any presidential candidate since Alan Keyes. Rubio's signature campaign promises were cutting capital gains taxes to 0 while starting a civil war in Iraq and annulling gay marriage. Literally no one in the media covered any of Rubio's terrible policies. Ted Cruz dropped heavy praise on Sisi (murdered hundreds of protesters for fun) and Jesse Helms (the most hardcore racist in Congress other than Strom Thurmond), and has basically every religious psychopath in the world on his side. And Ted Cruz literally wants to bring back the policy that caused the Great Depression (gold standard) while raising taxes on seniors to cut taxes on Wall Street. No one in the media covered this. John Kasich wants to start three simultaneous ground wars in the Middle East and is a massive misogynist. No one in the media is covering this. Chris Christie flip-flopped on every issue in the world while basically running on the campaign of "I will call Rubio and Obama racial slurs over and over again." No one in the media cared.

I mean, does the "if the media were good at their jobs" universe lead to Pataki winning the nomination or what?

Sibylus

Banned
See how long it takes after posting a political cartoon for someone to complain about the labeling, this bandwagon is getting old. If the shark had big block letters on its side saying TRUMP I'd agree with you, but the sails? This is nitpick territory, friend.
Political cartoonists are a pet hate of mine, bandwagon or no.

I love how Nate is already planting the seeds for a "the media is responsible for Trump winning" argument.

Planting the seeds? He's been banging that drum for months.

It's especially funny when people complain about Trump signs on vehicles and such, when branding his property with huge signs of his name is what Trump became famous for.

The Alt-Right basically controls internet comment sections at this point which is why internet comment sections should be shut down:

https://twitter.com/OldNavy/status/726063493955342336

Probably. I could live with Pataki if the Dems lost, he wasn't a good governor but he wasn't a total fucking psycho.

I mean, Pataki is okay and basically a RINO, but I'm just interested to hear how Nate Silver thinks the nomination process would go in the mystical "media good at jobs" universe. Because Rubio, Cruz, Christie, and Kasich got incredibly favorable coverage that made no sense.

Why would he have to walk any of that stuff back re the stages of Trump's candidacy? That article essentially argues exactly what is happening now, particularly re: shadow delegate slate elections and such.

I mean, it is true that large parts of the GOP are capitulating to Trump, but not the whole party, and Cruz is racking up pro-Cruz delegates. He just did it again in Arizona. That is what Nate is talking about in regards to this upcoming stage.

Anyway, the bagging on Nate Silver is tiresome, and I say this as someone who thinks that he's a shitty pundit and should stick to running statistical models. He made a reasonable assessment about Trump's chances based on historical data and current-day GOP primary rules and got caught in a rare year where a party's coalition is in the process of destroying itself. If that event were obviously going to happen, more people would have guessed correctly about it.

Trump has taken advantage of the media needing to fill segments of their shows. He's far more accessible, they call him and he accepts. Hillary Clinton on the other is far less accessible.

It's a convenient marriage that helps Trump (free publicity, he doesn't really get challenged with his phone-ins) and the media (higher ratings).

He's essentially carpet-bombed his message for free.

The Alt-Right basically controls internet comment sections at this point which is why internet comment sections should be shut down:

I mean, Pataki is okay and basically a RINO, but I'm just interested to hear how Nate Silver thinks the nomination process would go in the mystical "media good at jobs" universe. Because Rubio, Cruz, Christie, and Kasich got incredibly favorable coverage that made no sense.
Shut Twitter down. We don't need it anymore.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump has taken advantage of the media needing to fill segments of their shows. He's far more accessible, they call him and he accepts. Hillary Clinton on the other is far less accessible.

It's a convenient marriage that helps Trump (free publicity, he doesn't really get challenged with his phone-ins) and the media (higher ratings).

He's essentially carpet-bombed his message for free.

He's taken advantage of the 24-hour news cycle in a way no one else has until now, the whole system needs an overhaul. CNN and the others should be looking to NY1 to see what they should look like.

pigeon

Banned
I think Nate is fine but I think he's pretty dumb about this media thing. I think the media actually did a bang up job covering and broadcasting all the things that make Trump completely unelectable and a bad choice for President, which is theoretically the media's job during the election season. If a Presidential candidate uses misogynistic language, encourages violence, proposes absurd and unpopular policies, etc., and the media didn't cover it, that would pretty clearly be a media failure.

It's not the media's fault that the GOP base has lost interest in winning elections!

He's taken advantage of the 24-hour news cycle in a way no one else has until now, the whole system needs an overhaul. CNN and the others should be looking to NY1 to see what they should look like.

Yep, and their excuse is "hey, we invited all of them!".
That doesn't make them objective and impartial.

I don't think the Democrats should let Trump dominate the airwaves.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/726781324254654465

"Republicans hate people of color more than I thought." included in 1 or no?

3 is just Nate Silver being so mad all the time still, lol.
Lol at that Jeff Jarvis tweet. I hope ProfJeffJarvis never changes his name

We need to learn to stop being so outraged at Internet comments. It's so cost free I doubt much of it is actually real.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yep, and their excuse is "hey, we invited them all!".
That doesn't make them objective and impartial.

I don't think the Democrats should let Trump dominate the airwaves.

The problem CNN has is one of structure, until they change it they're doing the best job they can. The media has actually done a good job covering Trump's dumpster fire of a campaign, they've given everyone else a free ride. The reason Trump has done well is less the media and more what the GOP base finds acceptable.

johnsmith

remember me
which Obama was the result of.

You know, in decade now that Obama's been a known public figure, it never once crossed my mind to even think about it, but I wonder if that fact drives some of the hatred against him. Like they wouldn't hate him quite as much if he had a black mother.

Star Tribune/Mason-Dixon Minnesota General Election

Clinton 48
Trump 35

Is there any point in posting the numbers for anyone else? (serious question)

Pretty much, there was an article on Think Progress about the harassment of a young 5 year trans kid and how her parents supported her and how she's happier for it, and the comment section (one of those Facebook integrated ones) was 99% transphobic nonsense calling for her parents to be arrested for child abuse and the kid to be put in foster care because they were just part of the LGBT indoctrination squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom