• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem CNN has is one of structure, until they change it they're doing the best job they can. The media has actually done a good job covering Trump's dumpster fire of a campaign, they've given everyone else a free ride. The reason Trump has done well is less the media and more what the GOP base finds acceptable.

Some have been honest and straightforward (WaPo, NYT), others not much (CNN).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did people forget that the media went bonkers over the KKK thing and also way overreacted to Wisconsin? The media isn't good, yes, but it's not pro-Trump.

Did people forget that the media went bonkers over the KKK thing and also way overreacted to Wisconsin? The media isn't good, yes, but it's not pro-Trump.

If the media went out of their way to help anyone it was Rubio. But Nate just looks at the amount of coverage Trump gets. That mentality is also what led him to call Rubio's "attack Trump's dick size" strategy a brilliant one.

Brinbe

The media isn't pro anyone. It's pro-horserace. A settled nomination fight is bad for business.

And that's genuinely something to fear this fall in terms of how the media covers Clinton V. Trump. She's gonna be running away with this race by all accounts, but how does the media effectively portray that without tanking their own interests in making this seem as competitive as possible? That's potentially gonna be a real problem. She's gonna be genuinely leading in the EV race into the 300+ range and that may not bear out in how the media covers things.

If the media went out of their way to help anyone it was Rubio. But Nate just looks at the amount of coverage Trump gets. That mentality is also what led him to call Rubio's "attack Trump's dick size" strategy a brilliant one.

Silver is a libertarian and thus is dumb and subscribes to internet edgelord theory of "all attention is good attention!"

It's almost like getting attention just exposes your ideas to voters! It's almost like Ben Carson getting attention for being a fraud that thinks that the pyramids were used to store grain or the media showing Rubio's flushing his image into the toilet weren't helpful even though they got a lot of media attention!

tmarg

The media isn't pro anyone. It's pro-horserace. A settled nomination fight is bad for business.

Ordinarily yes, but Trump is good ratings regardless of the state of the race.

Still, I think they've been relatively fair in covering him. People say they gave him too much air time, but are they really supposed to not cover the crazy shit he says?

NeoXChaos

And that's genuinely something to fear this fall in terms of how the media covers Clinton V. Trump. She's gonna be running away with this race by all accounts, but how does the media effectively portray that without tanking their own interests in making this seem as competitive as possible? That's potentially gonna be a real problem. She's gonna be genuinely leading in the EV race into the 300+ range and that may not bear out in how the media covers things.

Im tweeting this to nate cohn and harry, probably sean too to see what they think.

royalan

I actually think this is a good thing for the GE. Keeping the stakes high will help bolster turnout. If the only message put out is "Clinton will win this in a landslide!" a lot of people could stay home.

Maledict

Well we've been here before. 2012 was exactly the same - every single piece of independent evidence we had was telling us Obama was winning in a blow out, and yet the media continued to call it tight, continued to say either could win, and even ran with the usual stories about Pennsylvania being in play at the end.

It didn't change the result - indeed, it might actually help Clinton because it will motivate people to get out and vote if they think it might be close rather than staying at home because she has it locked up.

Effect

I love how Nate is already planting the seeds for a "the media is responsible for Trump winning" argument.

Just admit you were wrong, Nate.

He's not wrong in this situation though. The media (well in this case it might mainly be cable media) has given him tons of free air time all becuase as a side show he gives them ratings. They've given expoentially more free advertising to him then anyone else running by huge margins. It's not even fucking close. This has been proven. Had they not done that he would have faded away the way everyone though he would. They gave him an open platform to spew his grabage even when he's clearly saying racist, bigoted, and sexist things with no push back or correction. There is a reason he didn't have to spend any of his own money or even fundraise. Everytime he opened his mouth there were the news crews to broadcast what he wanted to say anywhere he was. Remember that press conference where he was just advertising the new hotel that had his name or when he was claiming that Trump steaks still existed? Yes even after that bullshit, after it was completely clear he was just using them and they were the butt of the joke they still followed him around like love sick puppies.

I do not believe he will win. However how far Trump has gotten is 100% on them. Everytime they interrupt something to show his rallies when they don't for others they 100% are aiding him. Everytime they try to "give both sides of the story" after he's said something that was by the book racist and/or sexist they are 100% aiding him by even pretending there is another valid side. Everytime he says something 100% untrue or just completely and factually wrong with no correction they're aiding him.

Still, I think they've been relatively fair in covering him. People say they gave him too much air time, but are they really supposed to not cover the crazy shit he says?
Is it the media's fault that there are a lot of people who nod their heads at the terrible shit Trump espouses?

Getting pundits to opine over Trump calling Kasich a "slob" is not coverage, it's a political reality show.

Serious new outlets wouldn't spend more than a minute over that.

Edit: Or Trump's hands at the debate. "Line of the debate!".

I think this is super interesting/telling.

FAVORABLE/UNFAVORABLE

Bernie Sanders 76% 11%
Hillary Clinton 69% 17%

Q6. (Asked of self-identified Democratic respondents) Which of the following
candidates would you most like to see get the Democratic nomination for president?

Hillary Clinton 54%
Bernie Sanders 39%
Undecided 7%

I think this is super interesting/telling.

FAVORABLE/UNFAVORABLE

Bernie Sanders 76% 11%
Hillary Clinton 69% 17%

Q6. (Asked of self-identified Democratic respondents) Which of the following
candidates would you most like to see get the Democratic nomination for president?

Hillary Clinton 54%
Bernie Sanders 39%
Undecided 7%

Wake the fuck up, people. Jesus.

EDIT:

Happy B-day, Holmes.

Brinbe

Media has already started... look at this bullshit.
DcBhSrr.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Happy birthday Holmes

I do not believe he will win. However how far Trump has gotten is 100% on them. Everytime they interrupt something to show his rallies when they don't for others they 100% are aiding him. Everytime they try to "give both sides of the story" after he's said something that was by the book racist and/or sexist they are 100% aiding him by even pretending there is another valid side. Everytime he says something 100% untrue or just completely and factually wrong with no correction they're aiding him.

All that Trump coverage would have killed him had a large swath of the GOP base not been racist assholes. They had him on TV being a hateful demagogue for months and it only helped his numbers. The media deserves some blame yes, but most of the blame goes to the GOP electorate for being hateful racists.

Ugh

Bernie said:
There are a total of 4,766 Democratic delegates – 4,047 pledged, 719 super delegates. A candidate needs 2,383 votes to win. Let’s be clear. It is virtually impossible for Secretary Clinton to reach the majority of convention delegates by June 14 – the end of the primary season – with pledged delegates alone. She will need super delegates to take her over the top at the convention in Philadelphia. In other words, it will be a contested convention.

New Mexico, Nevada, and Florida are definitely swing states. It's going to be really easy for the "They're rapists." candidate to win those areas. After all, non-white people don't exist.

Armaros

New Mexico, Nevada, and Florida are definitely swing states. It's going to be really easy for the "They're rapists." candidate to win those areas. After all, non-white people don't exist.

Florida is going to be determined by turnout vs how much voter suppression the GOP can hammer through. Expect more 8-10 hr voting lines. Same for Ohio.

royalan

I imagine a lot of outrage. Bernie isn't exactly doing a great job of winding things down.

Exactly. People refuse to realize that, unless it's a sheer blowout which is almost impossible with the Democratic primary system, the system is working exactly as it was designed to. Superdelegates are SUPPOSED to be the tipping point. The public vote/pledged delegates get you to the hall, and the superdelegates crown you. But that doesn't make it a contested convention.

A Bernie should know better. He does know better.

tmarg

Getting pundits to opine over Trump calling Kasich a "slob" is not coverage, it's a political reality show.

Serious new outlets wouldn't spend more than a minute over that.

Edit: Or Trump's hands at the debate. "Line of the debate!".

The fact that an official Republican Party Presidential Debate turned into a proxy argument about the size of their wangs is actually news worthy.

Glenn greenwald is making sure to remind people the Osama bin Laden raid was horrible illegitimate US imperialism and something something intial reports were wrong so the whole thing is US gov lies

why do people keep hating on political cartoons in this thread, did you guys hate on them before you talked about them online

besides, political cartoons are for the masses not exactly always work of arts

Fell like adding some words to my avatar "don't fall, head slice, wall jump!, run, run run"

ivysaur12

Banned
Glenn greenwald is making sure to remind people the Osama bin Laden raid was horrible illegitimate US imperialism and something something intial reports were wrong so the whole thing is US gov lies

I don't really understand why it's that surprising that initial reports in a firefight that are then updated as a more coherent picture comes in? That's noteworthy?

Maledict

I'm just pissed he's still giving speeches like this

https://berniesanders.com/remarks-national-press-club/

Yeah, this is ridiculous at this point. Still pushing the "superdelegates should vote for me in states I won, and in states I didn't win they should vote for me anyways!".

I understand it's a campaign that's losing and winding down, but they do really need to shift in tone like Clinton did and start focussing on message and not illegitimating Clinton's victory by comparing apples to oranges and weird contradictory hypocritical arguments. The more he does this, the less he's going to get at the convention...

Interesting that they have Indiana and North Carolina both leaning towards Trump when Sabato has NC Lean D and IN Likely R.

Seems to me like they just went "Derr, went for Obama in 08/Romney in 2012, Lean R, everything else Safe R"

Like it's based more on historical records rather than any actual modern political observation. Like who has NM as a swing state anymore? But it went for Bush in 04 so it must be one right?

There is no reason Indiana shouldn't be Likely R. All of the polls showing Trump and Cruz beating Hillary are outside of the margin of error in the state. It's not going blue this year.

AZ and GA though

Bernie Sanders said:
Secondly, and extremely importantly, Secretary Clinton and I have many differences on some of the most important issues facing the American people. We disagree on trade, on breaking up Wall Street banks, on raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour, on imposing a carbon tax to combat climate change, on insisting that the wealthy and large corporations pay their fair share of taxes, on fracking and on a number of other issues.

But where Secretary Clinton and I agree and where every delegate to the Democratic convention agrees is that it would be a disaster for Donald Trump or some other right-wing Republican to become president of the United States.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon every super delegate to take a hard and objective look at which candidate stands the better chance of defeating Donald Trump. And in that regard, I think the evidence is extremely clear that I would be the stronger candidate to defeat Trump or any other Republican. This is not just the subjective opinion of Bernie Sanders. This is based on virtually every national and state poll done in the last several months.

Look at some of the very recent national polls.

In a Morning Consult survey, we beat Trump by 16. She beats him by seven.

An Investor Business Daily poll, we beat Trump by 12. She beats him by seven.

In the USA Today poll, we beat Trump by 15. She beats him by 11.
A George Washington University poll, we beat him by 10. She beats him by three.

Fox News, we beat Trump by 14. She beats him by seven

And it’s the same story in battleground state after battleground state. In Arizona, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina and many other states we defeat Trump by larger numbers than she does.

Ugh I'm so done with this.

"Hillary is a neocon and I don't agree with her on anything except that we both agree that I'm the better chance at beating Trump so subvert the will of the people!"

Perhaps the most baffling one there is New Mexico. Is there any reason to believe Trump won't be trounced there?

And I mean besides Bush winning it 12 years ago because that's irrelevant

Exactly. People refuse to realize that, unless it's a sheer blowout which is almost impossible with the Democratic primary system, the system is working exactly as it was designed to. Superdelegates are SUPPOSED to be the tipping point. The public vote/pledged delegates get you to the hall, and the superdelegates crown you. But that doesn't make it a contested convention.

A Bernie should know better. He does know better.
Tad needs his millions.

#27$HaircutSkippedToEnsureTadsMillions

NeoXChaos

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 7m7 minutes ago Washington, DC
No one has ever done a better job at getting people to ignore that he's losing by 15 points than Bernie Sanders. Just amazing

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 8m8 minutes ago Washington, DC
Sanders would obviously still trail by a huge margin, even if every super delegate from the states won by him flipped to him

@BernieSanders: Superdelegates should reflect the will of the voters in their state.

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 5m5 minutes ago Washington, DC
Nate Cohn Retweeted Yamiche Alcindor
Does this mean Sanders thinks Super Delegates in states won by Clinton should go for her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom