• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
RBG is fucking 83. As badass as she is, she's not gonna live forever unfortunately. Love the woman but any more time is basically waiting for a Scalia situation. Kennedy is 79 as well then Breyer at 77. They're getting up there for sure

My last post doesn't let me edit for whatever reason so posting this here.
Yup. I hope that Bill's appointees recognize that 2017-2019 would be the ideal window for replacement. In a way, Scalia's passing may have renewed the need for prudence on their behalf.

Kennedy isn't young either. He'll be 80 in July. It's not entirely far-fetched for us to potentially enter Hillary's term as a 4-4 court, only to exit in 2021 with a very young majority-liberal 6-3 court. Yuge. Truly.

@HarryEnten:
I feel like I'm in some time warp to 2012 when vast majority of polls said Dem was winning & Rasmussen had GOP winning. #Rasmussenwaswrong

Bowdz

You really think they all die/retire in 4 years?

They should if they are at all interested in the longevity of their legal worldview. They have the opportunity to ensure that the court has a liberal majority or neutral majority for a generation which could have significant consequences to the application of law in this nation.

Armaros

RBG is fucking 83. As badass as she is, she's not gonna live forever unfortunately. Love the woman but any more time is basically waiting for a Scalia situation. Kennedy is 79 as well then Breyer at 77. They're getting up there for sure

My last post doesn't let me edit for whatever reason so posting this here.

She is also a cancer survivor. She deserves the ability to retire on her terms.

kess

Completely anecdotal, but I'm kind of astonished how much Sanders has poisoned the well and dimmed the confidence for Clinton among the people I talk to, to the point of making rationalizations for Trump. This has gone way beyond 2008 levels of stupidity at this point.

lol Rasmussen, the pollster with the most idiotic metric of determining presidential approval ever

studyguy

Yup. I hope that Bill's appointees recognize that 2017-2019 would be the ideal window for replacement. In a way, Scalia's passing may have renewed the need for prudence on their behalf.

Kennedy isn't young either. He'll be 80 in July. It's not entirely far-fetched for us to potentially enter Hillary's term as a 4-4 court, only to exit in 2021 with a very young majority-liberal 6-3 court. Yuge. Truly.

If the dems go back to back two terms then I'd absolutely expect a replacement from those 3. It's gonna be interesting as all hell either way in the next decade.

pigeon

Banned
This Sullivan article strikes me as concern trolling that we would dump on if it showed up on PoliGAF. White straight men have been marginalized by the left, they're turning to Trump, Trump is going to moderate for the general and Hillary's voters are unexcited. Yawn emoji.

I think it is more or less accurate (and already documented) that Trump is the American face of fascism. Which doesn't necessarily mean he's currently fascist at this moment, but an American fascist movement would start pretty much the way Trump did. (Except you'd really need an Iraq War veteran.) But I think, contra Sullivan, that we're not particularly well-prepared for a fascist movement right now. There aren't any external threats, there's no revanchism, there's no global sense of instability. I don't really see Americans choosing now to become fascists.

Wilsongt

Haven't heard anything from Jim Deminted in a while.

When it comes to voter ID laws, conservative leaders can’t seem to stick to the “voter fraud” script.

Jim DeMint, the president of the conservative Heritage Foundation and former senator from South Carolina, became the latest in a growing list of Republican lawmakers who have admitted the real intention of voter ID laws. In an interview last week, the Tea Party leader asserted that the laws have shifted elections toward conservative candidates because they are blocking Democratic voters.

Though most conservatives will state publicly that the intention of these laws is to combat purported “voter fraud,” study after study and multiple investigations have found that voter fraud is virtually non-existent. Meanwhile, voter ID laws are proven to keep people — disproportionately minorities, young voters, and low-income people — from the polls.

While DeMint and the Heritage Foundation usually use the “voter fraud” talking point, DeMint went off script with St. Louis radio host Jamie Allman and acknowledged that the laws suppress Democratic voters, according to Right Wing Watch.

“It’s something we’re working on all over the country, because in the states where they do have voter ID laws you’ve seen, actually, elections begin to change towards more conservative candidates,” he said.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/05/02/3774447/jim-demint-voter-id/

It's the old cult mentality: the more people leave the group, the more insane the remaining members are on average. In this case, most reasonable Bernie supporters still support him but have accepted that Hillary is going to win and are willing (although not necessarily happy) to vote for her. As more and more of his reasonable supporters accept this, so increasingly the only ones left will be the more vitriolic and extreme ones.

That's a more succinct way of putting it. Anyway, interesting phenomenon.

sangreal

While they're full of shit, I don't actually see this as an inconsistency in their internal logic. Their whole claim is that Democrats only win because of votes from illegal immigrants, dead people, and other ineligible people. So of course cracking down on voter fraud will help conservatives! If anything, I think the fact that Republicans do better in those contests makes them believe even stronger that voter fraud is a real problem

johnsmith

remember me
Somebody thread the "China us raping us" comment. I would but I've made away too many trump threads.

And Ted Cruz is getting clowned on live tv right now by Trump supporters.

ampere

http://images.dailykos.com/images/245708/large/LDnation.png?1461932728[img]

and

[img]http://images.dailykos.com/images/245709/large/LDflorida.png?1461933197[img]

and oh yes

[img]http://images.dailykos.com/images/245713/large/LDstates.png?1461933991[img]

November is going to be brutal for the GOP.[/QUOTE]

Why does Cruz do so much better than Trump?? I guess there's no "build a wall" and "mexican rapists" rhetoric, but come on. Guy is literally evil

[quote="Crayons, post: 202443437"]oshit back after a week of partying and I find out Fiorina is VP? Awaiting glorious .gifs[/QUOTE]

This one is all you need

[quote="Goodstyle, post: 202405031"][IMG]http://i.sli.mg/euHfi7.gif

That New York Magazine article did a good job scaring the shit out of me. Now I feel like I need to do something in the fight to prevent Trump from reaching the White House.

While they're full of shit, I don't actually see this as an inconsistency in their internal logic. Their whole claim is that Democrats only win because of votes from illegal immigrants, dead people, and other ineligible people. So of course cracking down on voter fraud will help conservatives! If anything, I think the fact that Republicans do better in those contests makes them believe even stronger that voter fraud is a real problem

I guess the logic is that voter ID laws scare away those dead/illegal/etc people? Because there aren't any stories held up of people catching them en masse.

Bowdz

LMAO, holy shit, Cruz just confronted Trump supporters in IN on CNN. They where calling him Lyin Ted to his face and told him to take his own advice and drop out since he was mathematically eliminated. Fucking lol son.

sangreal

I guess the logic is that voter ID laws scare away those dead/illegal/etc people? Because there aren't any stories held up of people catching them en masse.

Yes, I am not saying it makes any sense. We know from every study that in-person voter fraud is not a thing. I'm just saying that pointing out republicans going 'Look, they're working, we're getting more votes!' is not some gotcha to them

Lyin' Ted is probably the best thing Trump has come up with this primary. Such a simple nickname that both aptly describes Cruz and gets his supporters pumped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88Gtsr4mzI

Arkansas Senate Ad by Democratic candidate.
GODDAAAAAAMN

Every Senate/House election needs an ad like this. Even if the Republican has said they won't support Trump or whatever because they all are enablers if not outright supporters of his proposals, just not his rhetoric.

Eldridge is a really solid recruit but Arkansas is pretty far gone at this point. If things get really nuts though it's good to have an A-lister rather than hope for a some dude to be swept in by the tide.

studyguy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDEGN4Js40

5cda8a42f3cfbfaec5768dcc88c368e2.262x200x37.gif

yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This is amazing for real.
The birth certificate and shooting the shit with Boehner good fucking god

Sanders Press Release: "Politico Exposes Clinton Campaign ‘Money-Laundering’ Scheme"

https://berniesanders.com/press-release/politico-exposes-clinton-campaign-money-laundering-scheme/

BURLINGTON, Vt. – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign manager, Jeff Weaver, on Monday criticized a Hillary Clinton campaign fundraising scheme that state party leaders told Politico has been used as a self-serving “money-laundering” conduit.

Despite Clinton’s pledges to rebuild state parties, Politico found that less than 1 percent of the $61 million raised by the Victory Fund has stayed in the state parties’ coffers.

“Secretary Clinton is looting funds meant for the state parties to skirt fundraising limits on her presidential campaign,” Weaver said. “We think the Clinton campaign should let the state parties keep their fair share of the cash.”

Fuck off Bernie. Fuck off Jeff

I still can't believe the race is going to be effectively over on the Republican side come tomorrow.
The amazing thing is that even if Trump does lose IN it won't be that big of a deal for him.

It was like in 2012 when Republicans were kicking and screaming over the early Ohio call when Romney had already been blocked from 270 (Colorado was called around then as well, along with Iowa and Nevada) so who cares.

gcubed

Clinton did the kicking and screaming in 08. Let Bernie whine. It'll be over in 5 weeks.

eh, that was fine last month. By this point she stopped the stupid shit and rode it out. I don't give a shit if Bernie stays in until the convention... why not. Just want him to stop the utter bullshit.

I'm assuming that he is getting absolutely nowhere in driving any kind of conversation with the DNC and the party platform, so he is being a baby.

When even international news sources know r/politics is messed up

The idea that someone actually wrote an article about Bernie spam on reddit is pretty funny.

r/politics has become an embarrassment.

wow, that subreddit...

NeoXChaos

To all the Hillary gloaters, i’ll tell you one thing. r/politics is, and always will be, Bernie territory. OUR territory. The mods of r/politics have formally endorsed Senator Sanders for president. We will continue to control the front page with positive Bernie news. So before you start talking shit and bragging about your bitch’s win, I’ll have you know that we’re well versed in downvote brigades. Say RIP to your karma if you try anything cute. Assholes.

lol

The Sanders campaign's willingness to use criminal terminology like fraud, bribery, and now money laundering really pisses me off. Money laundering is an actual crime, and this isn't that,evwn at its worst interpretation.

Good news for Strickland in that PPP Ohio poll is that there are more undecided Democrats (25%) than Republicans (17%). Should give him a hand.

I think going from some uni-kids spout some hateful and racist bullshit in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to Ken Livingstone is an anti-semite is a bit of a leap.
I don't know man, there are racist people out there for sure, some of them are in the labour party for sure, but I'm really not sure I'm seeing a whole lot of convincing evidence that labour has an anti-semitism problem (outside this PR issue which is real of course).
And I certainly can't think of a single policy that Labour passed or advocated that could be considered remotely anti-semitic.

Like, how do you think it would manifest itself if they were ever put into power?
Sure, they might be less pro-Israel, they're almost certainly will be less lenient with the settlements and the occupation of the West Bank, but I think if you believe these are wrong positions to take you should argue that point on its merit, not because you think some people advocate that due to racism, especially when you have very little evidence to support that.

That's a lot more than college kids being mean. We wouldn't characterize this if it was anti black, anti-lgbt, etc.

To many people handwave away antisemitism because either "Jews don't have it that bad" or "your just trying to change the subject"

I mean, Palestine is the only ongoing, very slow genocide that's explicitly aided and abetted by the West. Sure, there are some genocides we don't talk about, but that's the only one we're generally in favor of. I don't really think there's anything comparable.
Genocide?

This I think was what makes people question the lefts obsession over other issues.

It's a ethnic/group being denied civil rights with periodic violence.

It's an important issue but there are reasons for its outsized influence in the global conscious

studyguy

Well this was an... Interesting exchange between cruz and a trump supporter (starts at around 1:50)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tOLb0p7Eu_Y

I love how Cruz said he's gonna carpet bomb ISIS instead of women and children, I'd imagine a LOT of women and children will get caught in the crossfire of carpet bombing...

Pretty sure he was the one who said he wanted to bomb the middle east till the sands glowed from that one debate. If I recall the whole discussion was a weird roundtable of one-upmanship where it went from Ted 'Bomb the sands till it glows,' Carson saying children dying is just a means of ending suffering before it begins and Trump coming out saying, yeah fuck it I'm gonna bomb everyone...man, woman and children.

Those of you who have been missing Andrew Sullivan this year should check out his article in NYMag today. The basic thesis is similar to that of Fareed Zakaria's The Future of Freedom, which is to say that our political system and media environment have become "democratic" to a fault - to the point where a demagogue can seize power.

I'm only going to quote the last bit - it touches on too many points to find excerpts. You should really read the whole thing:

America has never been so ripe for tyranny

I disagreed with pretty much the whole premise of this article. I stopped reading his blog completely after his meltdown during the first Obama/Romney debate. This article pretty much validates my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom