• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

Lol you don't get to supporte an extreme sexist/racist candidateand get to play it off as no big thing. So yes supporting Trump is wrong.
I've only Supported Sanders, I've only voted for Sanders. I've rooted for Trump, and would prefer him to Clinton if it came down to it, and I even like some of his stances, some not all mind you, but that doesn't mean I have to like, support, or condone everything he is for. I haven't given any money to the Trump campaign.

I am hoping Trump picks Carson.
*dies*

This would be soooooooo goooooood. And, frankly, given how crazy all his other decisions have been thusfar, he's as likely a pick as anyone else. Personally I'm hoping he goes all out on the "theoretically most awesome Republican ever"-- A lesbian minority woman, small business owner, veteran, with adopted children. Ticks all the boxes of "OMG WE'RE INCLUSIVE, LOOK!" Do any of these people actually exist? Surely 1 or 2! Get searching, Trump!

pigeon

Banned
I've only voted for Sanders. I've rooted for Trump, and would prefer him to Clinton if it came down to it, and I even like some of his stances, some not all mind you, but that doesn't mean I have to like, support, or condone everything he is for.

Actually, voting for Trump over Clinton does require you to condone all his stances. That's literally what condoning means!

CCS

Banned
Well, wasn't expecting Cruz to just give up like that. GG Republicans, please don't come back again in 2020.

Shows how stubborn Bernie's being by clinging on. He's got less chance of winning the nomination than Cruz did, even after Indiana, the right thing to do would be to pull out to preserve party unity against Trump.

benjipwns

Banned
The fact that Cruz saw thr writing on the wall before Sanders is pretty amusing.
I think it's not entirely a fair comparison though. Sanders is technically not eliminated, he's not going to win but there's a legitimate yet hypothetical and unlikely way he could still win outright.

Cruz lost the math for himself on the delegates weeks ago under even hypotheticals, and this was his one shot to deny The Donald a clear path to 1237 and he got his shit kicked in despite having Carly Fiorina, whose daughter died from marijuana, on board to assist the campaign like she did her own campaigns and HP.

The Cruz camp was also burning out financially and organizationally at a tepid pace because they never wound down since they were trying to snag those handfuls of delegates from conventions.

ugh benji staphp

So there are still 176 supers who have not endorsed yet. Hillary needs 182 more delegates to take her over the finish line.

Let's give her 4 delegates (of 7) in Guam and 10 delegates (of 29) in West Virginia. She'll need 168 more delegates to clinch the nomination. Even though she's winning nearby counties, let's say she loses Kentucky (I actually am bullish on her chances there, but okay). 45% would give her ~25 delegates. Let's say she takes 35% of the vote in Oregon even though it's a closed primary. ~21 delegates.

She could conceivably roll out 120+ endorsements on May 17th to put her over the edge and end this.
Yea that's the same scenario I came up with earlier. It's smart and lets her end this whole thing by letting Bernie stay in and she's can safely ignore him. She'd be the presumptive nominee and Bernie can talk about whatever he wants about making her non viable in California or whatever the math is now.

Crocodile

All this talk about VPs and I still haven't the faintest idea who Trump may pick. It's going to be crazy.

I think Trumps VP will be a women from outside politics. If he is smart.

VP Omarosa incoming #Kappa

I've only Supported Sanders, I've only voted for Sanders. I've rooted for Trump, and would prefer him to Clinton if it came down to it, and I even like some of his stances, some not all mind you, but that doesn't mean I have to like, support, or condone everything he is for. I haven't given any money to the Trump campaign.

Not condemning overt racism/sexism/etc. (which is what a vote fro Trump means in its most beneficial interpretation) is not really all that different from supporting it. I'm not sure why this has been a difficult concept for some people in here recently.

IrishNinja

FL does not love trump; maybe parts of hicksville, northern FL do but no one cares about them, not even the south

speaking of my home state: over/under on trump actually picking Rick Scott? i mean, he can't be that dumb - Scott brings literally noting to the ticket, and definitely not FL - but man oh man, would i love to see dude go down in the flames there as well

*edit also that alarmist "CRUZ WILL BE BACK IN 2020" article doesn't scare me; did Romney do much here this time? no, if they're gonna take on incumbent hilldawg, it'll damn sure have to be someone more electable. he'd be a 2nd round KO in the primaries next time, i bet. i mean, does anyone think he'dve been around this long if it wasn't for trump?

studyguy

The man lost the wheels once he hitched the car to the establishment agreement with Kasich. I'm sure that move alone did him in with a ton of his constituents, but all the same. He was a mess before then.

Anyhow Sanders not dropping as I mentioned isn't a thing I worry about any longer. The super funded zombie campaign can keep limping on and nibble on a few states and delegates here and there but otherwise he's as inconsequential as 08 hillary.

The question is what he does once he pulls out. I very much doubt he'd jump in and do the full song and dance Hillary did for Obama. Either way. What a fun start to the month. CA is gonna be super boring now and here I thought we might matter for once.

Pardon the spelling on mobile.

HUELEN10

FL does not love trump; maybe parts of hicksville, northern FL do but no one cares about them, not even the south

speaking of my home state: over/under on trump actually picking Rick Scott? i mean, he can't be that dumb - Scott brings literally noting to the ticket, and definitely not FL - but man oh man, would i love to see dude go down in the flames there as well
Florida: Our Govenor Is Literally Voldemort
VP Omarosa incoming #Kappa

Not condemning overt racism/sexism/etc. (which is what a vote fro Trump means in its most beneficial interpretation) is not really all that different from supporting it. I'm not sure why this has been a difficult concept for some people in here recently.
I personally do not believe or agree with the notion of equating not condemning to supporting, that's like saying that if you don't do something good, you're doing something bad, no it simply means you're not doing something good. That is a big difference.
I'm shocked Trump hasn't announced some reality show to pick his Veep.
why would he? He isn't doing this for money, he is doing it for power and because he believes he can lead the nation. Compare him to other candidates, he's clearly not doing this for money or fame, he already has it in spades. Realizing this, why would you be surprised he is not doing a show or a book tour?

Tubie

So his racism and sexism isn't a big enough deal for you that you can just put all that aside and vote for him anyway because of a few things you do like.

You are literally condoning racism and sexism. You are literally saying you don't care for the harm Trump will do to minorities and women if you vote for him.

Hexa

It's like I can't share anything with you guys with being made fun of or taking it personally. I am just a Trump or Sanders voter that wants Sanders to win... Is that so wrong? :( sorry that the article was posted before, at least mine is he original URL.

I'll, I'll be okay, but I'm with Sanders until he says it is over.

There'll always be people that hate every political stance. Don't take it personally. You do you.

Mary Fallin is the worst, he's got to pick her.

That names been floated around before and alt right seemed to like her.
She doesn't seem any better or worse to me than most other Republicans.

They really seem to love the thought of him picking Jim Webb though. That would be interesting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's pretty hilarious, really. The conservative Republicans think that Trump isn't as conservative as he says, and the moderate Republicans think that Trump is more conservative (or as conservative) than he says he is.

It'll be interesting going forward how Trump uses this nebulous position ambiguity strategy, how he modifies it, and if it works as well on the general populace as it does on Republican primary voters.

benjipwns

Banned
*edit also that alarmist "CRUZ WILL BE BACK IN 2020" article doesn't scare me; did Romney do much here this time? no, if they're gonna take on incumbent hilldawg, it'll damn sure have to be someone more electable. he'd be a 2nd round KO in the primaries next time, i bet. i mean, does anyone think he'dve been around this long if it wasn't for trump?
Romney ran in an open race for both sides in 2008 and lost to a candidate conservatives didn't trust.

Romney then ran again four years later and won the nomination to challenge a sitting President. And won according to the unskewed exit polls.

I mean, if we're going to use the Romney = Cruz thing.

IrishNinja

Romney ran in an open race for both sides in 2008 and lost to a candidate conservatives didn't trust.

Romney then ran again four years later and won the nomination to challenge a sitting President. And won according to the unskewed exit polls.

I mean, if we're going to use the Romney = Cruz thing.

damn, i always forget about his round 1....still, if cruz hypothetically gets the nom in 2020? he's a hardcore conservative that even his own base doesn't like. at best, he follows the '04 Kerry model on some "#AnybodyButClinton" shit, and meets the same fate.

mind you, this shit-talking is comfortably done from the here & now, with the fractured and possibly broken state of the GOP. god knows they could very well be a slightly different beast by that point, but a) i doubt they'l take away the right lessons from all this, and b) even in that parallel universe, cruz is still a terrible candidate

Outside of not being part of the establishment, Trump doesn't align with any of the issues you've discussed with us.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you've said you're a queer woman, correct? You don't have to be convinced by me or anyone else, but during his presidency, Trump would help elect candidates and fill positions in such a way that would hurt you.

The man lost the wheels once he hitched the car to the establishment agreement with Kasich. I'm sure that move alone did him in with a ton of his constituents, but all the same. He was a mess before then.

Anyhow Sanders not dropping as I mentioned isn't a thing I worry about any longer. The super funded zombie campaign can keep limping on and nibble on a few states and delegates here and there but otherwise he's as inconsequential as 08 hillary.

The question is what he does once he pulls out. I very much doubt he'd jump in and do the full song and dance Hillary did for Obama. Either way. What a fun start to the month. CA is gonna be super boring now and here I thought we might matter for once.

Pardon the spelling on mobile.

The Republican race was largely sealed by the time the primaries started. I don't think the Cruz/Kasich agreement really moved the needle much. Trump was going to win by that point.

In the future, Republicans need to mimic the current Democratic primary system if they want to keep out people like Trump.

He's a quantum conservative.
Exists in all forms of conservatism and none at once.
Can we invent some sort of theorem along these lines? Something like, Trump approaches a podium. Which Trump is going to open its mouth as he speaks? Is there a moment where both Trumps exist, as we cannot know which neurons will fire? Is there an alternate reality where Trump gave a different speech and did (or didn't) offend other persons? Multiple realities?

Schrödinger's... Podium?

HUELEN10

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you've said you're a queer woman, correct? You don't have to be convinced by me or anyone else, but during his presidency, Trump would help elect candidates and fill positions in such a way that would hurt you.
You're not correct, but truth be told, queer issues in politics aren't something that I base most of my voting decisions on. Partially, it's because I'm in such a minority, that only 1 state has even acknowledged specific protections. In other words. I'll keep it in mind obviously because it is important to know of things that affect not just me but those around me, but at the same time, I can't put it so high on the list of personal voting concerns because it's such a log-shot in my case.
Trump is picking Rubio. Mark it.

That... That actually would make a lot of sense. Maybe could appease and help gain the Latino vote?

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure we can screw up Cleveland somehow. There's always the Browns season to ruin everything.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9459655/cleveland-browns-fan-takes-last-shot-team-obituary
Scott E. Entsminger, 55, of Mansfield, Ohio, died on July 4. Entsminger, a Columbus native, was a musician and a Browns season-ticket holder who wrote a song for the team each year and sent it in, along with his advice on how to run the team.

According to his obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, Entsminger also "respectfully requests six Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time."

Hexa

You're not correct, but truth be told, queer issues in politics aren't something that I base most of my voting decisions on. Partially, it's because I'm in such a minority, that only 1 state has even acknowledged specific protections. In other words. I'll keep it in mind obviously because it is important to know of things that affect not just me but those around me, but at the same time, I can't put it so high on the list of personal voting concerns because it's such a log-shot in my case.

That... That actually would make a lot of sense. Maybe could appease and help gain the Latino vote?

Nah. That would be the dumbest option I think. He has a chance of pandering to pretty much every other demographic still I think, except for Latinos. That ship has sailed.

IrishNinja

if rubio couldn't even get conservative abuelas out here in south florida to vote for him, what hope does he have nationwide? it's the most transparent kind of pandering, and i can't see either of them wanting that.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Now, its time for the cognitive dissonance. I live in Indiana so I get to see this often. How did Trump become Republican nominee and someone gets to say that your god wanted him to be that and everything happens for a reason. What a time to be alive.

studyguy

They specifically changed it this cycle to give the voters a greater say in the process.

Whoops.
Didn't they they changed how earlier states doled delegates out proportionally? I forget but it feels like the GOP has basically had one backfire after another all year.

Also Rubio will probably just roll into the private sector just fine. Sadly we probably won't see him on dancing with the stars.

There'll always be people that hate every political stance. Don't take it personally. You do you.

That names been floated around before and alt right seemed to like her.
She doesn't seem any better or worse to me than most other Republicans.

They really seem to love the thought of him picking Jim Webb though. That would be interesting.

Fallin's last major bill bans abortion in Oklahoma (sure to be overturned, but the spirit is what matters) and her current crusade is to execute a man who she's 50/50 on committing the crime even though her state is so incompetent that it keeps ordering the wrong murder drugs.

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections almost used the wrong drug in an execution scheduled for September 2015 — more than six months after it was informed it had done the same thing in an execution it carried out earlier that year.

The state medical examiner’s office provided the corrections department with Charles Warner’s autopsy in April 2015, BuzzFeed News has learned, giving the department clear evidence it had used the wrong drug in Warner’s January execution. Despite that, the state once again obtained the wrong drug in September for the planned execution of Richard Glossip. The mistake was caught at the last minute by the doctor overseeing the scheduled execution.

BuzzFeed News discovered this, and several other key facts not previously made public in the 15 months since Oklahoma executed Charles Warner on Jan. 15, 2015, through a review of state emails obtained this week.

The grand jury, which has been investigating the subject behind closed doors since this past October, is meeting again currently and could release a report as soon as this week.

Since the grand jury investigation began more than six months ago, no information has been provided about the specifics of the investigation.

In January 2015, Oklahoma executed Charles Warner for raping and murdering an 11-month-old child in 1997. The state was supposed to inject him with potassium chloride, but instead injected him with potassium acetate, according to the autopsy report. Among Warner’s last words were “My body is on fire.”

In late September, the state intended to execute Richard Glossip for arranging the murder of his boss, but had to call the execution off at the last minute after discovering officials had received the wrong drug. Executioners “briefly considered” using the wrong drug again.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismcdan...up-months-earl?utm_term=.hfAagMykY#.hp0Mz97Dl

Buried in a stack of bills signed into law, Governor Mary Fallin approved a law on Tuesday that would do away with one of the largest problems facing the death penalty in Oklahoma; storing the lethal drugs used in executions.
The new law, formerly SB884, allows the Department of Corrections to obtain federal and state licenses to store controlled substances, like medical narcotics but also those used in the state executions.

http://m.news9.com/story.aspx?story=31774822&catId=112032

And Richard Glossip is sentenced to death based on a guy who committed the murder saying that Glossip ordered the murder to get less than the death penalty and that's literally it, but Fallin is determined to kill this man.

She brings the religious right together with Trump while being able to be supported by the bloodthirsty monsters aligned with Trump.

royalan

I'm getting sick of media pundits acting like this is the first election they've ever covered.

"Bernie won Indiana tonight! What a vindication for his message! Hillary can't pivot to the general just yet!"

Bernie winning Indiana, by 5 points, when he's over 300 pledged delegates behind? That's a vindication for his message?

Somewhere, in a luxury hotel in Somewhere, Ohio, Hillary Clinton yawned as CNN projected Bernie the winner of Indiana and went back to bed, blissful dreams of plotting against Trump in the war room awaiting her.

benjipwns

Banned
Didn't they they changed how earlier states doled delegates out proportionally? I forget but it feels like the GOP has basically had one backfire after another all year.
That didn't really backfire too much, if the March states had been mostly WTA Trump would have just eliminated everyone right off the bat because his 30-40% share was more than enough to win. This was sorta what McCain did in 2008.

The interesting thing is that it didn't keep candidates in longer. There weren't really any good reasons to drop out before March 1st. Yet everybody but Trump, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio and Carson did.

Wilsongt

I'm getting sick of media pundits acting like this is the first election they've ever covered.

"Bernie won Indiana tonight! What a vindication for his message! Hillary can't pivot to the general just yet!"

Bernie winning Indiana, by 5 points, when he's over 300 pledged delegates behind? That's a vindication for his message?

Somewhere, in a luxury hotel in Somewhere, Ohio, Hillary Clinton yawned as CNN projected Bernie the winner of Indiana and went back to bed, blissful dreams of plotting against Trump in the war room awaiting her.

Media can't come off as being too biased and smart, then they'd get called out for being too biased.

Why pander the truth when you can hype up something that won't happen?

Nate Silver and 538's write up on what they got wrong about the Republican primaries

To me, the most surprising part of Trump’s nomination — which is to say, the part I think I got wrongest — is that Trump won the nomination despite having all types of deviations from conservative orthodoxy. He seemed wobbly on all parts of Reagan’s three-legged stool: economic policy (he largely opposes free trade and once advocated for a wealth tax and single-payer health care), social policy (consider his constant flip-flopping over abortion) and foreign policy (he openly mocked the Bush administration’s handling of the Iraq War, which is still fairly popular among Republicans).

Previous insurgent Republicans, such as the tea party candidates of 2010 and 2012, had run both as “anti-establishment” candidates and as more conservative than their rivals. Trump kept the anti-establishment branding, although this was also a selling point for Cruz, who often ran neck-and-neck with Trump among voters who said they felt “betrayed” by the Republican Party in exit polls.

But whereas Cruz offered a mix of anti-establishmentism and movement conservatism — and whereas Marco Rubio offered movement conservatism plus a strong claim to electability — Trump’s main differentiator was to double-down on cultural grievance: grievances against immigrants, against Muslims, against political correctness, against the media, and sometimes against blacks and women. And the strategy worked. It’s a point in favor of those who see politics as being governed by cultural identity — a matter of seeking out one’s “tribe” and fitting in with it — as opposed to carefully calibrating one’s position on a left-right spectrum.

What’s much harder to say is whether Trump is a one-off — someone who defied the odds because a lot of things broke in his favor, and whose success will be hard to repeat — or if he signifies a fundamental change in American politics. Trump hasn’t brought a wave of tea party candidates success in gubernatorial and senate primaries; in Indiana, in fact, the same voters who elected Trump also gave establishment-friendly U.S. Representative Todd Young a 67-33 victory in the state’s senate primary over the tea-party-aligned Marlin Stutzman. And the Democrats have had a relatively orderly nomination process. Still, it’s hard to imagine that American politics will ever be quite the same after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom