• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I a bad person because I get a little pleasure of how much existential pain that an 8 year Hillary Clinton Presidency will cause Freddie DeBoer, even when she does stuff I also disagree with?

you'd think that after a year of this race, two senate races, and 16 years in the public eye after the first election as NY's senator, someone would have even a hint of an actual quid pro quo on clinton's part

benjipwns

Banned
I think I'll trust the informed commenters over a paid shill in the lamestream media.
Marion Duignan
Hey! Politico - WAKE UP and stop SHILLING for Hillary. There's going to be a CONTESTED convention AND California is just waiting to seal the deal for Bernie Sanders - that will mean MORE for him than any "super delegate" count.
Rebecca Stanton · ESL Educator at Community Health Academy
Sad if it is true. It seems to me he is our best chance at beating Trump, and his policies are what I think our country needs. Perhaps we do not deserve him. frown emoticon
Dave Ring · Ball State University
Clinton can't get there either!!!
James Bonney
It is mathematically impossible for Hillary to win in the general election, because half of all voters are independent, and they won't be voting for anestablishment candidate.
Bruce Shaw · Owner at ShawNuff Productions
Bernie only needs ~40% to keep her from locking pre-convention. She's laundering campaign money while Bernie still has legit donors. Bernie's got until June to show skills at eviscerating Trump. Superdelegates will be watching. He'll shape the platform at worst.
Michael Olden · UCLA and UC Berkeley
How much do the clintons pay this shill reporter?
Brenda Ray · The City College of New York
It's also impossible for Hillary to win wih pledged delegates. That's been Bernie's point all along but no one wants to listen to him or they just want to spin it their way or Hillary's way. That's exactly why he's been saying he's going all the way to the convention. Because neither will have enough pledged delegates to get to the 2,383 number to win with pledged delegates. So, he's taking it to the convention, and say, "Hello, Superdelegates, now let's rock and roll!". Go Bernie, go!!!!

Sianos

I guess it wasn't going to really hit me until one of them got nominated.

But I kinda laughed and shrugged off Donald Trump for a while. I thought he was a buffoon (a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, nationalistic buffoon) who would ultimately get crushed in the race for the presidency. I didn't do anything necessarily to help him (I haven't even voted yet!), but I definitely wanted him to win the nomination because I believed he would have the greatest chance to do the worst against Hillary.

I still believe all of this above. But there was a sobering moment when Cruz dropped out that I realized that this is happening. It's not just speaking in abstract terms about a possible Trump vs. Hillary election. This is real. This is happening. This is going to be the two people on the ballot come November. And it's a moral obligation to do whatever we can to make sure that Trump never ends up in the Oval Office.

I don't think he'll win. But I can't look into the future and say for certain. And I know that there will be two people on the ballot in November
that are not Jill Stein or Gary Johnson
who will be POTUS. One of those will be Trump. He's closer to being the leader of the free world than anyone else right now, besides Hillary. And that's terrifying.

I had a somewhat similar reaction - I briefly thought as it dawned on me that this was actually happening, that it was almost too surreal and that the Republican party would not fail this spectacularly. No justification, except for my own fear. It was one thing to abstractly talk about how signs pointed towards this happening, to abstractly speak of the sort of rhetoric and patterns in the lines of thought that were convincing self-proclaimed conservatives I knew to cheer on hypothetical liberal policy as long as I cast it in nationalistic terms signaled this shift. It's another now that Frankenstein's monster is actually at my door.

Wilsongt

After Bernie's win, I decided to check if our favorite Kool-Aid drinking HA, That's a good one, man, posted anything.

Democrats Must Rally Around Bernie Sanders Before Clinton Faces Possible Espionage Act Indictments

What hte fuck is this guy smoking?

CCS

Banned
The abuse of mathematics, statistics, and probability this election makes me very sad. Please respect numbers.

Like seriously. What is with the California delusion? Bernie hasn't won a single state that looks even remotely as diverse as California... but he's going to win it by 40 points even though he's behind by 10+ I mean... Sure?

You're not correct, but truth be told, queer issues in politics aren't something that I base most of my voting decisions on. Partially, it's because I'm in such a minority, that only 1 state has even acknowledged specific protections. In other words. I'll keep it in mind obviously because it is important to know of things that affect not just me but those around me, but at the same time, I can't put it so high on the list of personal voting concerns because it's such a log-shot in my case.

Apologies for my mistake.

CCS

Banned
Like seriously. What is with the California delusion? Bernie hasn't won a single state that looks even remotely as diverse as California... but he's going to win it by 40 points even though he's behind by 10+ I mean... Sure?

To be fair, he's ahead in a landslide with people who totally have like, 10 friends who are all voting and no one they know is a Hillary supporter and see through the lies of the lamestream media.

I think I'll trust the informed commenters over a paid shill in the lamestream media.
I'd venture not a single one of these people was alive the last them there was an actual "contested convention," and have been woefully misinformed as to what that term means (for Democrats in particular). Have yet to see any official polling as to what % of the most dedicated Sanders supporters--Reddittors as an example--Have gone through an open primary season before. My guess would be <25%.

It pains me that the final GOP contender surrendered due to science before the final Democrat did.

CCS

Banned
Given the rate of increase in its use this year, presumably by next election every reddit post will just be the word shill over and over again.

Tubie

The memes I've seen say Bernie just needs to win Cali by the same % as Washington state.

Maybe they think it's possible due to proximity?

That of course means they ignore just how incredibly different the demos in those states are.

The memes I've seen say Bernie just needs to win Cali by the same % as Washington state.

Maybe they think it's possible due to proximity?

That of course means they ignore just how incredibly different the demos in those states are.

I'd have loved to see whata Washington State primary had looked like. Probably would have been less of a blow out. Guess we'll get an idea after Oregon.

I love this idea that Washington and California are somehow similar.

I'd have loved to see whata Washington State primary had looked like. Probably would have been less of a blow out. Guess we'll get an idea after Oregon.

I love this idea that Washington and California are somehow similar.
In 2008, Washington had both a caucus and a primary. Obama won the caucus 67/31 but he only won the non binding primary 51/46.

benjipwns

Banned
Washington's long run a beauty contest primary. But it cancelled it in 2012 to save money. I assume they didn't reverse that.

In 2008 for example, the primary was on a different date from the caucus. (Ten days later.)

And neither one decided the delegate allocation anyway.

Acosta

Say hi to your next vice-president:

donald-trump.png

WWE Hall of Famer Donald Trump is going to be candidate for president. What a time to be alive!

Try to imagine the 20 of January like this:

VGz10i.gif

pigeon

Banned
Washington's long run a beauty contest primary. But it cancelled it in 2012 to save money. I assume they didn't reverse that.

In 2008 for example, the primary was on a different date from the caucus. (Ten days later.)

And neither one decided the delegate allocation anyway.

It's so weird to me that any states have primaries that don't decide delegate allocation. Sounds cargo cult to me.

I feel like the lesson of this year is not that American primary systems are rigged but that they're mostly nonfunctional.

benjipwns

Banned
It's so weird to me that any states have primaries that don't decide delegate allocation. Sounds cargo cult to me.

I feel like the lesson of this year is not that American primary systems are rigged but that they're mostly nonfunctional.
Good god man, are you suggesting we turn over the selection of nominees even more to the voters?

This year already destroyed what we once knew as the invisible primary, what's next? Directly electing candidates in a national STV primary?

It's true, Democrats do hate democracy and America. No wonder we need someone to make it great again.

Chichikov

For all the talk of being non-functional, in the modern era the person who got most votes always won (2008 is an exception, but that was because of the Michigan shenanigans).
I'm not saying the system shouldn't be fixed, it most certainly should, but bizarrely enough, that weird ass system we got in place right now manage to actually be pretty functional .

benjipwns

Banned
In the modern era there's only been like four borderline competitive primaries past Super Tuesday. 1984 for the Democrats, 2008 for the Democrats and this year for both parties.

So, I'm not sure the eventual total popular vote is a good measure.

In the modern era there's only been like four borderline competitive primaries past Super Tuesday. 1984 for the Democrats, 2008 for the Democrats and this year for both parties.

This primary stopped being competitive 3 weeks ago. Bernie is too old, senile and stupid to realize it.

Chichikov

Can you think of a primary in the modern era that the person that led the national polls didn't win?
I'm honestly asking, I might be forgetting something.

benjipwns

Banned
In 2008, Johm McCain got 9.9 million votes, 46.7% of the total.

2.63 million of those votes came from Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, Indiana and North Carolina. Which all held their primaries after he was declared the presumptive nominee.

In the last two he got 78% and 74% respectively vs. 7% for Ron Paul in both. The rest went to dropped out candidates. But there were still a total of a million votes cast in the Republican primaries for those two states combined.

People are weird.

EDIT:
Can you think of a primary in the modern era that the person that led the national polls didn't win?
I'm honestly asking, I might be forgetting something.
Led in the national polls when? After they had already started winning? Before any other candidates dropped out? Before any voting took place?

BanGy.nz

Banned
Really it goes back even further to South Carolina.
... We can probably go back to when she dominated the money primary to such a degree that she scared away everyone expect a murderer, a guy who's dad died, a guy with abs and an angry old man who hates millionaires and billionaires.

Well obviously she wasn't going to scare herself off.
How dear you!
She's a mass murderer unlike that weakling Webb.

The one thing that I'm publicly admitting that I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around is this: the idea that changing the rules and allowing a brokered convention would do LESS damage than just letting Trump have the nomination. That ANYBODY with power, clout, or a future in the Republican party could believe that.

Then again, there are some enormous fucking idiots in the RNC.

You're fucked, mates.

Acosta

This is the first comment in a WSJ piece:

All predictions about Trump have been grossly wrong. Trump himself said he is unpredictable. His foreign policy will be unpredeictable (No enemy will know our moves. Obama announces when he would send troops and when he would withdraw. He tells publicly that he will not send ground force.). Because Trump is really unpredictable, we should be careful not to make any predictions about Trump. Wrongs:

1. Trump is not serious and will not run.
2.Trump will not run as a GOP candidate.
3.Trump will run as an Independent.
4.Trump cannot win Primaries. Do not believe the polls.
5. Trump has only support of 30%. (he has exceeded 60%)
Now more than 50% of Republicans support his nomination.
6.Trump has not advocated his foreign policy
7.Trump has not discussed domestic policies
8.Trump does not have support of women (Women voted for him)
9.Trump hates muslims (Largest muslim community in America in Michigan voted for Trump)
10. Trump does not know how to debate (He won all debates)
11. Trump has many scandals (So far none discovered)

May I appeal to the pundits and journalists not to predict about Trump? It is possible that Trump could win landslide against Hillary, if she is the candidate. If Sanders is the candidate, Trump could be defeated.

Between Trump and the pissed off Bernie fans, this is going to be a hell of election to follow. I wish patience and templance to Hillary (and supporters), they are going to need them.

CCS

Banned
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of salt, I shall fear no angry young white guys, for thou art with me; thy polls and thy campaign staff comfort me.

benjipwns

Banned
The one thing that I'm publicly admitting that I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around is this: the idea that changing the rules and allowing a brokered convention would do LESS damage than just letting Trump have the nomination. That ANYBODY with power, clout, or a future in the Republican party could believe that.

You're fucked, mates.
Trump's win and Cruz's withdrawal has basically eliminated the brokered convention possibility. It still exists, same as Bernie's nomination if a fair ballot was held, but the odds are incredibly small.

They'd have to effectively change the rules to unseat bound to Trump delegates. And then find someone who hasn't even participated in the primaries to accepted the tainted nomination.

You ride it out with Trump on the hopes that he doesn't hurt you too much down ballot. I can't imagine they'd want him to actually beat Hillary unless they could get a better idea of what role they'd play in a Trump Administration.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You're fucked, mates.
Just let Trump get the nom and pivot to the midterm elections.

CCS

Banned
Now THIS is irony. I think.

Also... I legit nearly snorted my drink when I read this. @_@

I'm not entirely sure, I'm glad you enjoyed it though :p

Man, I'm drowning in poorly written thinkpieces. Please someone remind journalists that they do actually have brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom