• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Plus, I think it makes more sense to pick someone young to groom for 2024.
You're putting someones political career on hold for eight years while they attend funerals and are attached to an Administration they can't buck easily.

That's why there's never been an inexperienced Vice President successfully "groomed" into becoming the next President.

Meanwhile, every other Governor, Senator, etc. is out there making a name for themselves, and themselves alone, and cultivating ties outside the Clinton camp.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The GOP is already shattered on the national level. 25-30% of their base is an extremely vocal and powerful far right group, the Tea Party is still powerful within the party, and the rest get pulled along for the ride.

In 2020, they'll continue on the same path and push for somebody more conservative.

Trump will be campaigning hard in the Rust Belt forcing Hillary to play Defense in her own zone.

Hillary realizes the folley of her coal workers comments. Damage control mode

Geez oh man! How many states will vote to legalize medical marijuana in November? What about recreational? When does the federal levee break?

Long overdue, in my opinion. Having Obama take whatever small actions he can on the executive level would be the ultimate lame fuck move. I'm not counting on it, though.

I don't even smoke, I just think it's really, really stupid the way it's been treated legally in this country. People need to get over it.

Do you know in how many states it is on the ballot?

Okay...

Did you know that my man, Dr. Ben Carson, has a shrine dedicated to just him, and a painting of him chilling with Jesus. Also instead of Proverbs, he has Poverbs.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...en-carson-house-homage-to-himself-in-pictures

I did! I seem to remember that being a pretty funny story back when Carson was ascendant against Trump. Alas, the American people didn't want poverbs.

Do I wait till the convention to short Trump winning on PredictIt? I've got 1 grand I want to put in these shares and if I invest it all I'll make 1.5k in profits.

Fascinating.

Long overdue, in my opinion. Having Obama take whatever small actions he can on the executive level would be the ultimate lame fuck move. I'm not counting on it, though.

I don't even smoke, I just think it's really, really stupid the way it's been treated legally in this country. People need to get over it.

Do you know in how many states it is on the ballot?
It's not decided yet. At least in my state, they are still collecting signatures.

I'm kind of glad people are freaking out about Trump. Certainly preferable to mass complacency.
I just said the same thing in the Rasmussen thread.

Diablos

Fascinating.
Well it's true. Garland is a pretty good deal for Republicans. If Trump happened to win, then he would still have the opportunity to solidify the court as right wing. Garland would be in the liberal minority wing of the court, and would also be up for replacement in a good 10 to 15 years which is very short. Great deal for the GOP and if they lose their SCOTUS prospects are fucked anyway. They're stubborn to the point of being stupid as usual.

CCS

Banned
Yes.

This is starting to feel like a high stakes election. And it should. Because it is.

Bang on. Obviously, each election seems vital at the time, but it's been a while since the Republicans have put forward such a dangerous candidate.

I'm kind of glad people are freaking out about Trump. Certainly preferable to mass complacency.

Agreed. I also like that the House is close. I mean, I don't think it'll flip, but I think it's just out of reach. Just tantalizing enough that the party will work for it. And I want them to work.

CCS

Banned
Agreed. I also like that the House is close. I mean, I don't think it'll flip, but I think it's just out of reach. Just tantalizing enough that the party will work for it. And I want them to work.

I think there is a chance for the House, especially if Hillary's attack dogs can find some really juicy buried secrets to go after Trump with.

Maxim726X

Fighting Obama's nominee is going to look really stupid once Hillary picks someone much younger. I don't know what McConnell was thinking.

I think the GOP has made it quite obvious- They believe their constituency wants them to fight the Emperor God King at every turn, no matter what.

They really have no choice but to stick to the narrative... So when the time comes for re-election, they can tell their constituents that at least they tried to stop the liberal takeover of Washington. It's all about narrative to them now.

I think there is a chance for the House, especially if Hillary's attack dogs can find some really juicy buried secrets to go after Trump with.

There's a chance, but I view it the same way I viewed the chance of the Senate in 2014. Technically possible, and maybe something crazy will happen, but not really worth personally getting excited about.

But get the margin to within a few representatives and maybe Paul Ryan will take advantage of the opportunity to build himself a reputation as a Speaker who works across the aisle to help the American people. I don't know if that story will help him at all, but it's a story plenty of politicians have tried to use to define themselves before, and if he goes the same route, maybe we'll actually see some things passed.

NeoXChaos

Democrats are likely to be far more unified, creating a vivid contrast:

It will also be remarkable to see a very popular set of Democratic leaders – Biden, Bill Clinton, both Obamas, Sanders, the Vice President – standing alongside and campaigning with Secretary Clinton in the months ahead. That image of a powerful team lead by an experienced leader (and first woman!) will not be easily answered by an unpopular, isolated Trump and a deeply unpopular party….An unprecedented “Democratic Team” that includes two former Presidents could end up being an extraordinary advantage for her this fall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...e-gop-awakens-to-a-trump-nightmare-come-true/

CCS

Banned
There's a chance, but I view it the same way I viewed the chance of the Senate in 2014. Technically possible, and maybe something crazy will happen, but not really worth personally getting excited about.

But get the margin to within a few representatives and maybe Paul Ryan will take advantage of the opportunity to build himself a reputation as a Speaker who works across the aisle to help the American people. I don't know if that story will help him at all, but it's a story plenty of politicians have tried to use to define themselves before, and if he goes the same route, maybe we'll actually see some things passed.

That's probably a good way of looking at it. Don't know if I have that much faith in Ryan though :p

thefro

MSNBC now floating Mitch Daniels and Robert Gates for Trump VP? Wat

Zero chance Mitch Daniels takes it.

Daniels also has the skeleton in his closet that hasn't came out yet. (he has another son that was conceived outside of his marriage per what I heard from someone who was on Daniels' staff).

I mean, it's not a big deal compared to what Trump's done, but he doesn't want to drag his family through that, and he certainly wouldn't sign up for that for a "lost cause" of losing with Trump.

That's probably a good way of looking at it. Don't know if I have that much faith in Ryan though :p

I think he's still too afraid of the Freedom Caucus. My hope is just informed by my naiveté. I've got this vision in my head of two reasonable enough political parties in 8 years that are able to occasionally reach concensus without feeling the need to abuse every parliamentary procedure they can find over disagreements. I think Ryan is in a position to be the leader of that new party. But there's a greater chance that it won't happen anything like what I'm imagining, because I actually have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about.

Diablos

Zero chance Mitch Daniels takes it.

Daniels also has the skeleton in his closet that hasn't came out yet. (he has another son that was conceived outside of his marriage per what I heard from someone who was on Daniels' staff).

I mean, it's not a big deal compared to what Trump's done, but he doesn't want to drag his family through that, and he certainly wouldn't sign up for that for a "lost cause" of losing with Trump.
Sounds like he'd be right at home in a Trump campaign.

Well Ayotte says she is supporting Trump, let the games begin.
You've got to be kidding me. Kiss your Senate career goodbye.

Also, I feel like I've seen a lot of posters say "Bernie should drop out now, he's hurting the party" who then say "Why should Hillary give any policy concessions to Sanders? He lost, he has no negotiating power!" I'm not sure how someone can simultaneously hold both of those positions. If there's a thing that you want someone to do, they pretty much have negotiating power by definition. I'm sure if one gave Sanders enough concessions, one could get him to bow out quickly and gracefully, with an endorsement.

royalan

My prediction: Trump is going to choose someone young(er) and attractive, physically and to his base. Someone with a bit of political clout, certain more than him, but not so much political clout that they'd be afraid of attaching themselves to a Trump presidency. Someone who'll be eager to trade it all away for a lucrative career in entertainment after Trump goes down and the dust settles. You were Trump's VP. Every network is going to want you.

I don't know who this person is. But I expect them to have these qualities.

Bowdz

MSNBC now floating Mitch Daniels and Robert Gates for Trump VP? Wat

You've gotta love how Robert Gates' name keeps coming up. If anyone actually read his memoir or listened to him in any interview, they'd know he HATES politics and has ZERO desire to be on a political ticket. Not gonna happen.

teiresias

Gotta love the number of Bernie supporters in that OT GE polling thread that are more concerned with how "shamed" Hillary supporters would feel if Trump won rather than, you know, the good of the country and minorities that live in it. The sooner the old man starts talking sense to these people the better
I'm well aware he's likely got no sense himself

Bowdz

Also, I feel like I've seen a lot of posters say "Bernie should drop out now, he's hurting the party" who then say "Why should Hillary give any policy concessions to Sanders? He lost, he has no negotiating power!" I'm not sure how someone can simultaneously hold both of those positions. If there's a thing that you want someone to do, they pretty much have negotiating power by definition. I'm sure if one gave Sanders enough concessions, one could get him to bow out quickly and gracefully, with an endorsement.

According to The Hill, Bernie's dream concession is making breaking up the big banks part of the Democratic platform. That is not going to happen because it is a toxic and stupid proposal. I personally don't think Sanders will drop even if he got that as a concession.

According to The Hill, Bernie's dream concession is making breaking up the big banks part of the Democratic platform. That is not going to happen because it is a toxic and stupid proposal. I personally don't think Sanders will drop even if he got that as a concession.

I agree. That's a stupid concession. I can only hope that they could persuade him by offering reasonable things. I'd be open to making changes to the primary process, for example, but I don't want the party to adopt his anti free trade language. I do think he has power, and again, maybe it's my naiveté, but I think he's more willing to negotiate on these things than Ted Cruz might be.

royalan

Yeah, this is why I think working with Bernie is going to prove difficult.

Hillary and Bernie aren't much different ideologically. And where they DO differ has a lot to do with Hillary understanding what can actually be accomplished versus Bernie's head being in the clouds. Her ideas ARE his ideas...just doused in a coating of realism.To take on most of his main campaign proposals would be exchanging her ideas for something she knows won't work.

Jarmel

Banned
My prediction: Trump is going to choose someone young(er) and attractive, physically and to his base. Someone with a bit of political clout, certain more than him, but not so much political clout that they'd be afraid of attaching themselves to a Trump presidency. Someone who'll be eager to trade it all away for a lucrative career in entertainment after Trump goes down and the dust settles. You were Trump's VP. Every network is going to want you.

Rubiooooo

Bowdz

I agree. That's a stupid concession. I can only hope that they could persuade him by offering reasonable things. I'd be open to making changes to the primary process, for example, but I don't want the party to adopt his anti free trade language. I do think he has power, and again, maybe it's my naiveté, but I think he's more willing to negotiate on these things than Ted Cruz might be.

Yeah, I really hope that Sanders' anti free trade views stay away from the platform. I could see Clinton agreeing about campaign finance reform and possibly about rule changes eliminating superdelegates or at least reduce their numbers but I don't think that would be enough to cause him to drop out early.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Little Marco

Yeah, I really hope that Sanders' anti free trade views stay away from the platform. I could see Clinton agreeing about campaign finance reform and possibly about rule changes eliminating superdelegates or at least reduce their numbers but I don't think that would be enough to cause him to drop out early.

You might be right. I just figure that, while he's got a lot of issues he's super passionate about, campaign finance reform has always seemed to be his number one. Maybe that and single payer healthcare. I think some olive branches could be found there.

andthebeatgoeson

Is there anyway to keep up with this thread, besides reading for 4 hours, each day? Or just skip multiple pages?

This thread decimates my need to 100% threads.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There's going to be a lot of discussion in the next month or so about who did or didn't successfully call Trump grabbing the nomination, and I think there's a couple important distinctions to be drawn within that conversation: namely the difference between Trump getting the most votes, and Trump getting the nomination.

Many of us here, myself included, saw Trump getting the most votes as far back as...well, September really. Not with 100% certitude obviously, but Trump winning became my "expected result" pretty quickly once I saw what was happening. What wasn't clear to anyone, analysts included, is just how much fuckery the GOP would or wouldn't get up to to stop him. No-one could really predict that, because it lies in the hands of a (relative) handful of people.
That's maybe the most shocking thing to me about Cruz's concession. I fully believe that if he thought he had a chance at duking it out at the convention he'd still be in it. I think he got word from somewhere that whatever support he was counting on going into the convention just wasn't coalescing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Trump has no path to victory. Right? This shit is terrifying.

He theoretically could redraw the map in any number ways. Something like this was promoted on CNN.

But this ignores his demographics problems with women and almost turning the hispanic vote into something as partisan as the white male vote. He also has a lot of work just to bring together republican voters who think he's not christian or corporatist enough.

It also ignores the general fundamentals of Obama being favorable, and the economy being fairly good, which tends to predict the president's party winning.

You can write any electoral map you want, but Trump needs to be a lot closer in the nationwide vote to make any of that possible, and that seems unlikely right now.

Is there anyway to keep up with this thread, besides reading for 4 hours, each day? Or just skip multiple pages?

This thread decimates my need to 100% threads.
It's hard with the yas queen jokes.

I was thinking of doing a weekly "What You Missed" for people who don't necessarily want to see every single poll that comes out.

In fact, if someone wants to do this with me, we can split the week. You do Monday-Wednesday, I cover Th-Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom