• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The GOP fell prey to game theory. Everyone was waiting for everyone else to drop out so that they could get the unified anti-Trump GOP vote. Since no one did until it was too late; Trump secured his path. The flaw was assuming the GOP leaders had actual control of their party. They obviously did not.

But I thought individual self intrest and greed always leads to a better outcome than the one with outside influence from the governing roles.

NeoXChaos

Congrats to the winners below of our PoliGAF 2016 Republican Nomination Game.

Plinko
B-Dubs
Poodlestrike
Jack Remington
Makai
SourShoes
Aaron Strife
Fenderputty
HylianTom
RastaMentality
brainchild
Melkr_
RustyNails
Avon Barksdale
tanod
eBay Huckster
Coriolanus
zou
NsQuote
Samarecarm
Ecotic
SL128
Brookshi

studyguy

I have a feeling r/politics is exactly where it will be the entire general right now.

Basically a huge mess of pro-Trump, anti-Hillary, with some reasonable articles, Bernie being entirely ignored, and random special snowflakes who feel the need to post "I'm voting Stein" in every single thread.

Good times are coming.

Social media at large will get bored of it eventually. It's already happening with Bernie. I'd imagine the Trumpisms will endure though, but will the newstories hit the front page or trend on twitter every day post July? Probably not.

What is this?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think Trump's are going to get much lower. I mean, I don't want to sell the man short. He could totally manage to piss off more people...but I doubt it.

Hillary's also winning Independents in the CNN poll. By a healthy margin.

Hehehehehehe.

Heh, it is hard to see Trump's favorables getting lower at least in the short term; but Trump's always been full of surprises.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on GE polls at this point; as stated by Hillary-GAF all the time when it came to Sanders v Trump versus Clinton v Trump; they are meaningless at this point. ;-)

But I thought individual self interest and greed always leads to a better outcome than the one with outside influence from the governing roles.

:D

NeoXChaos

Social media at large will get bored of it eventually. It's already happening with Bernie. I'd imagine the Trumpisms will endure though, but will the newstories hit the front page or trend on twitter every day post July? Probably not.

What is this?

They picked Trump as winning the Republican Nomination as far back as August 2015. Deadline to pick was October 2015.

I think Clinton should start by offering Sanders the Secretary of Labor position in collaboration with stronger pro-union and pro-labor stances within the party platform.

Doing that, I think, would get him to budge on the banks. Especially if she also offers him a seat in discussing the next Bureau of Consumer Protection after Cordray. Giving Sanders a cabinet position is also a viable bargaining chip as Vermont has a Dem governor and is likely to elect another one when Shumlin steps down at the end of this year.
I don't think Hillary is interested in offering Bernie anything. At a certain point she 100% would have. But after he's made demands and held his support hostage saying he won't commit to the party or support her unless she meets certain conditions. Nah. Not happening.

I actually feel a little bad for Bernie. He won last night, beating polls. And while it doesn't help him at all, it's still an accomplishment.

But nobody cares and it isn't being brought up or mentioned in the news because now all eyes are on Trump vs Hillary. Not even r/politics cares about Bernie anymore, which kind of shows how loyal his hardcore base was.

It feels like Bernie is kind of alone off doing his own little thing while people only casually check in on him to see what the old man is ranting about today. Everyone else has moved on with their lives.

Will the mainstream media turn on Trump now that he's the nominee? Or will they keep tossing him softballs through November?
If they haven't turned on him now, then they're never going to. He'll continue to get softballs and they won't care as long as the ratings are high.

studyguy

I actually feel a little bad for Bernie. He won last night, beating polls. And while it doesn't help him at all, it's still an accomplishment.

But nobody cares and it isn't being brought up or mentioned in the news because now all eyes are on Trump vs Hillary.

I really just feels like Bernie is kind of alone off doing his own little thing while people only casually check in on him to see what the old man is ranting about today.

Do you feel bad for Kasich in the same way though? That's simply the natural flow of those who get pushed out via delegate count. The media can only push a horserace for so long before everyone knows they've been gamed. Bernie will continue to California, maybe the convention, call his moral victory then disappear to Vermont.

I'm genuinely curious to see if he does more thank a token campaign for Hillary to bridge the gap. I don't see it by the way he's been speaking.

Do you feel bad for Kasich in the same way though? That's simply the natural flow of those who get pushed out via delegate count. The media can only push a horserace for so long before everyone knows they've been gamed. Bernie will continue to California, maybe the convention, call his moral victory then disappear to Vermont.

No, because Kasich is a bland bowl of pudding. I can't even think of one thing that sets him apart from any generic Republican governor.

I think Warren will be the key to bridging the gap. Not as VP or anything, but just as someone on the trail with Hillary and supporting her. I think Warren supports Hillary over Benie, and has for awhile, but doesn't want to make it public because idiots would drop her, despite all the good she's done.

Kasich is a mess.

Reid J. Epstein ‏@reidepstein 41m41 minutes ago
Reporters at the John Kasich press conference were just told not broadcast images of the place where the event is taking place.

(in Dulles)

Reid J. Epstein ‏@reidepstein 38m38 minutes ago
So folks, the John Kasich campaign scheduled an press conference at a spot where reporters are told they cant broadcast live shots or images

Reid J. Epstein ‏@reidepstein 37m37 minutes ago
And to top it off, John Kasich is still on the ground in Columbus at the hour when his press conference was due to begin.

Reid J. Epstein ‏@reidepstein 31m31 minutes ago
Kasich official orders reporters to move live shots outside of terminal. But apparently it is still OK do broadcast Kasich presser live

Ben Kamisar ‏@bkamisar 7m7 minutes ago
The private jet terminal hosting Kasish just gave the campaign a 1 pm deadline for him to get here. Cc @reidepstein

Reid J. Epstein ‏@reidepstein 3m3 minutes ago
And now Kasich airport presser cancelled. He's doing a statement in Columbus at 5.

Major GarrettVerified account
‏@MajorCBS
So... @JohnKasich cancels morning presser, his team is oddly silent & now 5 pm statement in Columbus, Ohio. The end appears nigh.

Is he dropping out today?

But nobody cares and it isn't being brought up or mentioned in the news because now all eyes are on Trump vs Hillary. Not even r/politics cares about Bernie anymore, which kind of shows how loyal his hardcore base was.

It feels like Bernie is kind of alone off doing his own little thing while people only casually check in on him to see what the old man is ranting about today. Everyone else has moved on with their lives.

Is beating polls an achievement though, really? Indiana was a state he should have been winning and he did.

He's won precisely zero of the states demographically favorable to Clinton. She's won a number of states demographically favorable to Sanders, but you never hear about those as upsets. Winning a state 538 projected Clinton to win in their delegate targets based on demographics would be an upset. Beating a poll is just out performing inaccurate math (or in this case, falling within the margin of error).

All three of his 'upsets' were states 538 had him down as winning in their delegate goals. In all three, Clinton still hit her goals. None of them appear to have given him any kind of momentum.

royalan

I'm not sure what "policy" concessions could even be adopted that would be tenable for the Party in the GE.

Arbitrarily break up the banks? Not a chance.
No new trade deals, roll back trade deals? Nope.
Immediate attempt at massive health care overhaul? Ha.
Exactly. The reason Bernie has failed to accrue meaningful support is because his policies are dumb, to put it simply.

I honestly don't know how she placates him going forward. And honestly, I don't want her to try too hard: HER ideas are why she's winning. Why I voted for her. I don't want Sanders' nonsense shaping her campaign.

If Kasich drops out, that means he's going to stay in Ohio. :(

Damn. I wanted him to keep up his Greatest Eats tour just to keep him the fuck out of Ohio. Haven't we suffered enough?

I almost feel like mine shouldn't even count. I originally put Jeb and changed it after realizing Jeb was flopping, but I still didn't really think it would be Trump. I just didn't know who could stop him.

PBY

Banned
fucking LOL at the GOP getting their nomination process wrapped up before the dems.

What a mess if it is indeed is a "contested convention"

Maledict

Everyone needs to remember that Kasich's campaign manager is John Weaver. The guy is an appalling self-serving reptile who will keep the campaign going for as long as possible to earn as much as possible. Even among republican operatives he has a bad reputation - and he doesn't care, so party pressure isn't going to mean anything for him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom