• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
PAT BUCHANAN RETURNS TO THE MCLAUGHLIN GROUP
Pat Buchahan (Phil Hartman) endures barbs over his failed Republican presidential campaign from John McLaughlin (Dana Carvey) although the other panelists (Kevin Nealon, Mike Myers, Chris Farley) aren't as cruel. [Season 17, 1992]

forgot about this one lol

edit: omg totally forgot about the band ... WRONG!

Pat Buchahan (Phil Hartman) endures barbs over his failed Republican presidential campaign from John McLaughlin (Dana Carvey) although the other panelists (Kevin Nealon, Mike Myers, Chris Farley) aren't as cruel. [Season 17, 1992]

Late 80's to mid 90's SNL run was the peak of amazing and Dana Carvey is imo the best SNL member. There was a slight bump in the early 00's but since mid 00's its been on a really bad decline.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

edit: omg totally forgot about the band ... WRONG!

Dana Carvey was an SNL treasure. Also amusing the 30% protest vote mention.
Unfortunately that was before my time, and I don't get most of the references and people.
That ending how Dana kept his composure when the band mistook the start. That's just amazing.

Seriously, that taco bowl thing was straight out of the Onion's playbook!

Are we going to need a new version of G/A/F? Trump says "Bullshit" Onion/Real?

Zeke

You guys really think Ryan will be running in the next election? I thought he was done after his Romney vp stint?

I think it's ~possible~ but he's going to need to do impossibly well as speaker in the meantime.

:)
I dont think you can use speakership as a springboard to run for president and I doubt you will find many in history. Being in public eye over partisan battles you wage in congress against the President ruins whatever "i will bring this country together" qualities.

Seriously, that taco bowl thing was straight out of the Onion's playbook!

One isn't so funny the next day ;)

I couldn't have come up with that taco bowl thing on my own. Seriously. It's too absurd to even be parody...yet it was real. I just...I can't.

Do ya'll think Trump will agree to debate Queen? I mean....I feel he has to, but I also know how he operates.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I couldn't have come up with that taco bowl thing on my own. Seriously. It's too absurd to even be parody...yet it was real. I just...I can't.

Do ya'll think Trump will agree to debate Queen? I mean....I feel he has to, but I also know how he operates.

I mean, he has to...but it is Trump. So who knows what he'll do.

ampere

Usually being Speaker means you give up the hope to ever be president, I don't think Ryan's situation is any different.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wouldn't want to take Hillary's time in the kitchen cooking for Bill away from her, so I'm sparing her the embarrassment of having to decline. I love the women

He'd throw in something about Bill being vegan now, otherwise that's close.

benjipwns

Banned
Dana Carvey was an SNL treasure. Also amusing the 30% protest vote mention.
Unfortunately that was before my time, and I don't get most of the references and people.
Jack Germond is dead, but Pat Buchanan and Eleanor Clift are still regulars on McLaughlin. While Mort Kondracke and Fred Barnes were regulars on Special Report with Brit Hume/Bret Baier on Fox News until a few years ago.

McLaughlin actually does/did give Buchanan a hard time on the show because they've been off-air buds for like 40+ years. And often disagrees with the entire panel and cuts them off. And at the time of the sketches he would give nicknames when introducing the guys. Just not to the extent that Carvey does in the sketches obviously.

McLaughlin also adopted some of the stuff from the first one as catch phrases or references to the sketches. He's in one of the sketches too.

EDIT: This is the one:
THE MCLAUGHLIN GROUP HALLOWEEN COLD OPEN
The McLaughlin Group reconvenes for a special Halloween edition in which John McLaughlin (Dana Carvey) dresses as the grim reaper and cuts off his panelists (Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon) before they can speak. [Season 17, 1991]

WRONG! This is the first (and best imo) one:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mclaughlin-group/n9987

gcubed

He'd throw in something about Bill being vegan now, otherwise that's close.

I'm sure he'd add the shame of only birthing a single child. Sad!

Back in liberal utopia, I "accidentally" stayed in Denver's first pot friendly hotel when I was here for business. What a world

Zeke

I dont think you can use speakership as a springboard to run for president and I doubt you will find many in history. Being in public eye over partisan battles you wage in congress against the President ruins whatever "i will bring this country together" qualities.
Pretty much what I thought. He might be able to rile up whatever is left of the base but he would be a hard sell in the general.

benjipwns

Banned
Usually being Speaker means you give up the hope to ever be president, I don't think Ryan's situation is any different.
Henry Clay, John Bell, James K. Polk, and James G. Blaine are the only Speakers to become a major party's nominee. Polk became President.

James Nance Garner was Speaker and FDR's first VP. (He then ran against FDR, who dumped him in response, for the third term.)

There's only four living former Speakers, same number as Presidents. Newt, Hastert, Pelosi and Boehner.

LBJ and Bob Dole are the only Senate Majority or Minority Leaders to ever become their party's nominee, and only Dole was it at the time. Though Charles Curtis and Alben Barkley became VP.

James Garfield is the only sitting Representative to ever be elected President.

Benjamin Harrison, Warren G. Harding, John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama are the only sitting Senators to ever be elected President. (Andrew Jackson's last elected office had been Senator but he had been gone from it for three years when elected President.)

The best single chance of becoming President actually probably is being VP. Even though only four have ever been elected to the Presidency (and two of those are John Adams and Thomas Jefferson and shouldn't count), nine have gotten to it by way of the President dying or resigning.

Bowdz

Considering Ryan's name alone got booed at a Trump rally tonight, I think it's safe to say today's maneuver alone is enough to piss off the base. He's fucked with the current party makeup.

University of Utah gave an honorary doctorate to a board member of the World Congress of Families, wheeeee.

Their defense was that they didn't research her that much before giving her an honorary doctorate degree which is, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

benjipwns

Banned
It's all worth it for this statement:
"Ms. Gay has been affiliated with two organizations whose involvement in anti-LGBTQ campaigns around the world does not reflect the values of the University of Utah. They were not part of the honorary degree committee's deliberations in selecting Ms. Gay for the honorary degree."

mmm comments
Vanceone
Provo, UT
Remember folks, same sex marriage would never, ever impact anyone in a negative way.

They promised us. Now, as many warned and were mocked for a "slippery slope", we can see yet another example that the left will tolerate anything except thinking differently. Diversity never, ever means "disagree with the left."
Citizen Kane
Philomath, OR
Two things continue to astonish me about the LGBT (QRSTUV...) movement:
- that in the name of "tolerance" they can exhibit such blatant and obvious intolerance, and
- that the organizations and people they target yield, presumably because of concern about media exposure

Whatever happened to academic freedom? Award the doctorate, and ignore the attempt to politicize it.
Yorkshire
City, Ut
Wow.
I am very troubled that an honorary degree is considered so important that someone would give up something they feel is important in their life --and betters th elives of families and children around the world-- just to assure they receive the degree.

Really, I am so surprised.
Seems very much worrying about 'worldly honors' instead of being true to yourself and the causes you support---just to get the 'honors and praise of me'. :(

Maybe she devoted her life to attacking gay people after being viciously mocked as a child by her peers for her last name.

"When we're deciding whether or not to honor someone, we just don't take into account the amount of hate groups they a part of."
That's not relevant to the honorary degree process. It's about academic contributions.

Maybe she devoted her life to attacking gay people after being viciously mocked as a child by her peers for her last name.

That's not relevant to the honorary degree process. It's about academic contributions.

... She had no academic contributions. It was a honorary degree just for her humanitarian work.

Holmes

OH MY GOD I DON'T EVEN POST ABOUT POLITICS ON FACEBOOK AND MY SISTER-IN-LAW JUST POSTED A US UNCUT ARTICLE ON MY WALL I'M

benjipwns

Banned
She did have a bit of a contribution:
Gay's work also has ties to Utah's flagship university. Ten years ago, she and her husband founded what would become the Ensign College of Public Health in Ghana, for which she's now working to establish as an extended campus for the U., according to university leaders.
I assumed when you guys were talking about academic contributions you meant something like this and not like...a paper or research or something.

benjipwns

Banned
OH MY GOD I DON'T EVEN POST ABOUT POLITICS ON FACEBOOK AND MY SISTER-IN-LAW JUST POSTED A US UNCUT ARTICLE ON MY WALL I'M
US Uncut is a decentralized direct action group in the United States established in February 2011 to combat corporate tax avoidance and highlight cuts to social spending and public sector jobs.[1] It draws its name, organizing structure, and tactics from UK Uncut, a movement that began four months earlier in London, England.
Lame, I thought it was going to be an anti-circumcision group.

"It’s a Doberman— let it have its ears."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The news of Nintendo not bothering to provide even a Direct this year, coupled with Aaron's decision to buy SM64 DS for thirty bucks is a double whammy of depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom