• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splendor

The last page proves that Trump's biggest problem is not that he is a horrible bigot who has no idea what he is doing.

It is that he is an uggo.

Wait, two people from the same state can't have their electors vote for them both for POTUS and VP? What?

They are prohibited from doing so by the 12th Amendment.

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves...

There was a similar prohibition in Article II, Section 1, Clause 3, which was superseded by the 12th Amendment.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves...

Our obsession with states is dumb

I can kind of get it in the context of the 1780s. There wasn't as much of a national identity at the time and the original procedure for the Electoral College had each elector cast two votes for President with the winner becoming President and the runner up becoming Vice President. In that context, I can understand why you'd want to force electors to cast at least one vote for someone from a different state.

FyreWulff

Our obsession with states is dumb

It's my own opinion that I really think the concept of states as separate legal entities withing the structure of of the United States is outdated and should be dissolved.

Hell, counties barely justify their existence as it is.

ampere

It's my own opinion that I really think the concept of states as separate legal entities withing the structure of of the United States is outdated and should be dissolved.

Hell, counties barely justify their existence as it is.

Yeah but what if Vermont wants to label GMOs or Mississippi wants to deny trans people's rights?

So many possibilities! States rights

Maybe there are some legit good reasons for states as separate legal entities, but I'm not sure off the top of my head. Just part of hierarchical government structure I guess.

FyreWulff

Yeah but what if Vermont wants to label GMOs or Mississippi wants to deny trans people's rights?

So many possibilities! States rights

Maybe there are some legit good reasons for states as separate legal entities, but I'm not sure off the top of my head. Just part of hierarchical government structure I guess.

I mean, I see why they exist. When the colonies started they were de facto solo countries that had to do things for themselves, so the whole states rights thing was to keep the existing people in power, well, in power and ensure the country would get off to a start by placating the existing infrastructure.

There's no real need for that anymore.

ivysaur12

Banned
She voted in New York. So I bet it's not her legal residence. Hillary4Prison.

Castro is a shit pick.
Warren remains a shit pick.

Also, I was reading the Economist today.

20160423_USP001_0.jpg

I'd build his wall. Or some other innuendo that actually makes sense.

We're not quoting this enough tbh

User1608

Banned
All this Massachusetts talk reminds me painfully of how incompetent Martha Coakley was. Ughhhhhh. Baker is okay, but eeeeh, super sore on his non-answers and lack of commitment on expanding transgender protections.

This plan to have Cruz control the loyalties of the delegates is really not going well:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ernor-over-delegate-carve-up?CMP=share_btn_tw

I mean, he is getting loyal delegates, but the bad press is helping Trump's votes.

So the GOP has come up with a plan that will give Trump 1237 while allowing Cruz to control the rules for the convention and that's honestly the worst possible outcome they could have happened upon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All this Massachusetts talk reminds me painfully of how incompetent Martha Coakley was. Ughhhhhh. Baker is okay, but eeeeh, super sore on his non-answers and lack of commitment on expanding transgender protections.

She kept playing the it's my turn next card. I still don't get how she made it out of the primary after the disastrous loss to Scott Walker.

She's just unlikable. She comes off poorly in face to face interactions.

Hell I saw it coming a mile away and still couldn't muster the give a fuck to vote for her that election. I just did a write in instead.

ivysaur12

Banned
I truly believe the person who made yoga pants appropriate social leg wear for women also made tank tops appropriate social top wear for men.

She kept playing the it's my turn next card. I still don't get how she made it out of the primary after the disastrous loss to Scott Walker.

She's just unlikable. She comes off poorly in face to face interactions.

Scott Brown?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I truly believe the person who made yoga pants appropriate social leg wear for women also made tank tops appropriate social top wear for men.

Scott Brown?

Yes, wrong Scott.

One of the reasons he clowned her in that election is that he was one of the first candidates to go heavy into web ads. I remember catching up on Kitchen Nightmare's on Hulu and having his ad play almost non stop during the breaks.

Armaros

I've been arguing with some Bernie supporters I know about his Foreign Policy plans. More specificly about his idea of getting a Muslim coalition to fight ISIS.

Namely Saudi Arabia and Iran, and I couldn't get into their heads why they would never work together due to their histories.

I could barely stop myself from facepalming.

I've been arguing with some Bernie supporters I know about his Foreign Policy plans. More specificly about his idea of getting a Muslim coalition to fight ISIS.

Namely Saudi Arabia and Iran, and I couldn't get into their heads why they would never work together due to their histories.

Yeah, his foreign policy is basically "world peace." Great ideal, but it's a fantasy.

ampere

I want to say I'm surprised, but considering fundamentalist Republicans call abortion doctors "murderers" it's really not surprising. Still awful.

Reading through the pre-NY thread, and boy, some people got really bent out of shape over the details of Bernie's Vatican trip.

Yea, the trip was not a wise decision regarding it's timing, but people got quite obsessed with talking about the whole thing.

Bernie Sanders doesn't have much of one which it is quite common among many of the president candidates. I sometimes wonder why in Bernie's case, many left-leaning people don't particularly care about foreign policy( which doesn't just mean military ). I understand domestic issues should be focused, but many nations focus on both. It is entirely two separated things in the government. The reason certain things the way they are is because of foreign policy like why certain things cost they way they are.

I've also heard it explained that the state likes it as a subtle check on a very liberal state assembly. You're not voting Republican vs. Democrat so much as Moderate vs. Democrat.

And yeah, as was said Coakley just wasn't a very likable candidate. Patrick served two terms.

Basically, this. The Massachusetts legislature is famously corrupt (not quite IL, NY, LA, or RI levels, but ya' know the former House Speaker was related to a mob boss), so people like to elect a non-machine person to the Govenorship. Sometimes, it's a Republican who can put forth a moderate businessguy stance (ie. William Weld, Mitt Romney, Charlie Baker) or in the case of Deval Patrick, it's a Democrat with enough outsider cred.

People on OK with a fairly liberal economic and social policy, they just want someone making sure all the money isn't going out the backdoor to family members of the State House.

Bernie Sanders doesn't have much of one which it is quite common among many of the president candidates. I sometimes wonder why in Bernie's case, many left-leaning people don't particularly care about foreign policy( which doesn't just mean military ). I understand domestic issues should be focused, but many nations focus on both. It is entirely two separated things in the government. The reason certain things the way they are is because of foreign policy like why certain things cost they way they are.

If you're talking about establishing diplomatic relationships, I'm pretty sure that Bernie going to the Vatican had nothing to do with the military, and interestingly enough, Bernie was the candidate that stood out to the academy as a leader whom they felt was most appropriate to speak at the Vatican on the issues of a moral economy and climate change.

Addressing climate change is a global and moral imperative for Bernie, and I'm positive that it would play a huge part in shaping the direction of his foreign policies.

As for his approach to the middle east, I've taken it as his 'end game' goal, not the first step details.

EDIT:

He has also said that he's working on a comprehensive plan for fair trade, though he hasn't given any details on it as of yet.

Armaros

My main problem with Bernie is his complete unwillingness his entire campaign to even learn the rudimentaries of it.

Something that is within completely the Presidents purview to control. And its not something he can just ignore, especially in the current climate. You are running for President, you have to learn at some point Bernie.

My main problem with Bernie is his complete unwillingness his entire campaign to even learn the rudimentaries of it.

Something that is within completely the Presidents purview to control. And its not something he can just ignore, especially in the current climate. You are running for President, you have to learn at some point Bernie.

You have absolutely zero proof that he hasn't learned the basics of foreign policy, and considering that he has a bachelor of arts degree in political science, I'd imagine he has learned a thing or two about it.

Don't conflate your opinion of his statements on foreign policy with his knowledge of foreign policy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You have absolutely zero proof that he hasn't learned the basics of foreign policy, and considering that he has a bachelor of arts degree in political science, I'd imagine he has learned a thing or two about it.

Don't conflate your opinion of his statements on foreign policy with his knowledge of foreign policy.

The only thing we know about his views on issues are what he says when he answers questions in interviews and debates, and frankly those answers don't amount to much.

If you're talking about establishing diplomatic relationships, I'm pretty sure that Bernie going to the Vatican had nothing to do with the military, and interestingly enough, Bernie was the candidate that stood out to the academy as a leader whom they felt was most appropriate to speak at the Vatican on the issues of a moral economy and climate change.

Addressing climate change is a global and moral imperative for Bernie, and I'm positive that it would play a huge part in shaping the direction of his foreign policies.

As for his approach to the middle east, I've taken it as his 'end game' goal, not the first step details.

EDIT:

He has also said that he's working on a comprehensive plan for fair trade, though he hasn't given any details on it as of yet.

It is fine to speak about, but I don't care what he says unless he tangible goals to further ideals on foreign policy( on the terms of foreign policy) and the that bit about the military was a critique on liberals on that - in my view, many liberals many view foreign policy as a military interest which is a only a small part of it. I feel many liberals want to improve the world, but they don't know jack shit on how at least an idea to do so.

Climate change is something that is really important that effects many countries, it is a very real issue, but if the speech is something about climate change is bad and we should fix well he isn't saying anything new. I know he has plans to deal with climate change in the US, but on the subject on foreign policy, if he doesn't have a plan and not the "We should all strive to dwindle the affects of climate change " plan then again it doesn't tell me much. It could be he doesn't have one a this moment though. Moreover, still that just reminds me that Bernie Sanders has a narrow goal. Foreign policy is far more than just climate and wanting countries to have a "moral economy" , but of course he could shaping his message to the audience specifically.

I think concerning Iran and Saudi Arabia idea, he has no real plan, it is just something he can say about. Considering that most Democrats and left-leaning independents don't care about foreign policy I don't think it really harms him, despite the fact it is complete fantasy. I support Hillary because I think she'll be far far more effective when it come to foreign policy, her efforts with the Iran deal should noted and praised. That deal prevented a war and an escalation in the middle east, and not just about Iran getting a nuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom