• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren offers nothing to the ticket and would be a terrible selection. I'd agree with with Palin comparison in the sense that if you're losing and your only hope to win is to maximize your base...sure, maybe picking her works. But as the electoral map stands Hillary will not need help with democrat turnout.

IMO it's going to be Tim Kaine or Mark Warner. Kaine is the superior pick. Former governor, actually has a personality unlike Warner, speaks Spanish, relatively young, likable, Obama ally, etc.

Vendetta's wants in order.

1)Warren
2) Howard Dean
3) Al Franken
4) Tom Perez
5) Biden Third Term

what we'll get.

Tim Kaine.

Which is fine. But ehhhh.. not too exciting.

HylianTom

Banned
Al Franken.. hnnnngg..

FrankenVulture.gif

(GOP oppo research would have fun watching his old material..)

NeoXChaos

Theres not a 40 something aside from Castro that's credible? Man 2010 and 2014 really did a number on us.

Warner aint going to be picked. Don't need 2 senate seats up in 2018. Rule out senators who will be picked by Republican Govs like Brown, Booker.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Agreed. Strategically, she should probably pick a white guy from Virginia or Florida

Except we know that the "VP will help me win a state" pick is bupkus

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...verrated-vice-presidential-home-state-effect/

Picking a poor VP to try to win a state has been, and still is, mostly a giant waste of time.

I can see Warren being very effective bringing on Bernie supporters. But what about actual moderate Democrats, and left-leaning Independents who voted Bernie because he's not Hillary but could be swayed by a VP that appeals to them? I don't know what Hillary stands to gain by picking someone even further left than she is, other than potentially winning over Bernie's most fervent, which might not even be that big a group.

In a Trump or Cruz v Clinton race - the VP is getting almost no one to vote for a candidate. This race is polarized. People are going to have to choose their sides.

But progressives are already in the camp for the same reason. Someone that can run in 2024 is the most important thing.

You mean like Biden in 2016? :D

EDIT: Also, outside of Perez, what succession planning? Castro's the Democrat Marco Rubio. He would get destroyed if even slightly held up to the fire.

Obama as a relatively green Senator with little foreign policy experience needed someone like Biden.

No one needs Elizabeth Forma as VP, the once and future progressive.

Ecotic

Someone that can run in 2024 is the most important thing.
Is this really vital? I'm coming around to believing shoehorning a nominee yields a less competitive nominee in the fall. The uncompetitive invisible primary this time around was really disheartening for primary morale.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The VP pick isn't ultimately going to swing anything for the most part.

Succession planning.

Pretty much. In the case of Hillary she should be thinking about a rising star who can run in 4-8 years. Obama needed someone with experience in areas he lacked it, hence Biden. Hillary doesn't have that problem.

Is this really vital? I'm coming around to believing shoehorning a nominee yields a less competitive nominee in the fall. The uncompetitive invisible primary this time around was really disheartening for primary morale.

Hillary Clinton was a different beast altogether. Pretty much the only one capable of actually challenging her was Biden and he sat it out.

Perez is the obvious VP pick. Harmless to the ticket, smart, articulate, and can speak Spanish unlike that Castro fraud. Having someone of Hispanic origin on the ticket while Trump bloviates is just too good of a political set up. I don't know if he is presidential material enough to warm the bench down the road, but everything I've heard is positives. Also relatively young (54).

She needs a proven progressive on the ticket. Picking the VP due to age/ethnicity/demographic would be stupid because her opponent is Donald Trump, minorities are already in her camp.

I'm drinking, but how about...Nina Turner?

She's currently not in office. She has progressive bonafides, obviously. She's not ancient. She's black.

Crayons

Banned

She's currently not in office. She has progressive bonafides, obviously. She's not ancient. She's black.

dude she has been campaigning for sanders

I literally just saw her like a week ago at the nyc rally. she is bae, btw

Primary morale has nothing to do with general election votes.

Basically.

post-11694-Harrison-Ford-Who-Gives-a-Shit-ziGh.gif

ampere

The VP pick isn't ultimately going to swing anything for the most part.

Succession planning.

This

It's about bringing someone up to be a future leader of the party

Young, progressive, female, PoC or Hispanic. Hispanics are going to become a huge % of the population as time continues to pass so it might make sense to try to get a strong party leader

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
dude she has been campaigning for sanders

I literally just saw her like a week ago at the nyc rally. she is bae, btw

Plus she has no real experience. She was a state senator and that was it, that's nothing. The only reason she's a thing is that she stumped for Bernie and his fans elevated her profile. She'd be the worst pick, bar none.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
She needs to pick someone to help her with "working class whites".

I say she should pick like

Um

A republican

3phemeral

I can see Warren being very effective bringing on Bernie supporters. But what about actual moderate Democrats, and left-leaning Independents who voted Bernie because he's not Hillary but could be swayed by a VP that appeals to them? I don't know what Hillary stands to gain by picking someone even further left than she is, other than potentially winning over Bernie's most fervent, which might not even be that big a group.

Not sure how prominent this line of thinking is, but it I'm reading a lot of comments in articles that involve her where Bernie supporters are almost on the verge of dropping her simply because she hasn't endorsed Bernie yet.

I love the idea of a Warren VP but I'm wondering where loyalties will sway - will they think she sold out or will they truly support her should she be chosen? I think that by the time it matters, they'd unite for the General but with this kind of vitriol I'm seeing, I don't know how you go back from that.

ampere

She's been pretty negative on Hillary during the primaries, though that could end up water under the bridge but idk. You might want someone who there's no animosity between as your VP

She needs to pick someone to help her with "working class whites".

I say she should pick like

Um

A republican

She already a republican tho

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not sure how prominent this line of thinking is, but it I'm reading a lot of comments in articles that involve her where Bernie supporters are almost on the verge of dropping her under simply because she hasn't endorsed Bernie yet.

I love the idea of a Warren VP but I'm wondering where loyalties will sway - will they thinks he sold out or will they truly support her should she be chosen? I think that by the time it matters, they'd unite for the General but with this kind of vitriol I'm seeing, I don't know how you go back from that.

This. She won't win back the Bernie voters who would be unwilling to vote for Hillary. Those guys have already thrown her under the bus. Trying to win the Bernie or Bust crowd is a mistake and can't be done because they don't really care, they just got swept up in the cult of personality.

Oh Tulsi's done. She spurned Debbie and broke off the chains of DNC. She's in Bernie's wagon and it's going to be surrounded soon.

Plus she's horrible.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I seriously don't get why people try and make Nina Turner a thing. She was a state senator who got her ass kicked when she tried running for state-wide office. The only reason people talk about her is that she's one of the few people who endorsed Bernie.

Azealia Banks is trying (on Twitter) to explain to DeRay (who is gay) that "faggot" isn't a word that is offensive to gay people while yelling at DeRay.

>.<

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Obama as a relatively green Senator with little foreign policy experience needed someone like Biden.

No one needs Elizabeth Forma as VP, the once and future progressive.

Nah - he ended up grabbing Clinton as SoS and calling it good. :-D

Personally I'm a fan of Tom Perez; but since we're talking about female VP picks, I think out of the options, and with assuming Trump or Cruz facing Clinton (and thus a race to the middle not particularly happening) - Warren might be the best option. Bring out the base when you have the demographic advantages. Voter turnout is a card that the Dems have the advantage on.

If Sanders can motivate his base to come out for Clinton outside of a VP pick; then you go elsewhere. I don't know if Gillebrand works; she might fall afoul of the "VP can't be from same state as President" rule. (Not sure where Clinton has her legal residence now a days).

I don't see many up and coming Dems, tbh. Worried about Castro being Rubio 2.0, and Booker being Christie 2.0 (see Newark, craptons of corruption)

NeoXChaos

Attention HillaryGAF:

In honor of our queens upcoming coronation. We will be wearing Hillary avatars for June 7th when she becomes the Presumptive Nominee & the week of the convention.

Attention TrumpGAF(Game):

If Trump so happens to clinch the nomination on June 7th: you will be featured in the opening of each thread starting with PoliGaf 2016 |OT7| or |OT8|. B-dubs will also feature you in the RNC convention thread this summer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nah - he ended up grabbing Clinton as SoS and calling it good. :-D

Personally I'm a fan of Tom Perez; but since we're talking about female VP picks, I think out of the options, and with assuming Trump or Cruz facing Clinton (and thus a race to the middle not particularly happening) - Warren might be the best option. Bring out the base when you have the demographic advantages. Voter turnout is a card that the Dems have the advantage on.

If Sanders can motivate his base to come out for Clinton outside of a VP pick; then you go elsewhere. I don't know if Gillebrand works; she might fall afoul of the "VP can't be from same state as President" rule. (Not sure where Clinton has her legal residence now a days).

I don't see many up and coming Dems, tbh. Worried about Castro being Rubio 2.0, and Booker being Christie 2.0 (see Newark, craptons of corruption)

Clinton's still based in NY (I think) otherwise I could see her picking Gillibrand or Cuomo.

[...] and she'll need someone with credibility to combat such.

Someone like, say, Tom Perez. Or Tim Kaine.

Or Xavier Becerra. Who has all the pluses of Castro, none of the minuses, and CA-34 is about as safe a seat as possible.

e: Holmes, you're my fave.

She voted in New York. So I bet it's not her legal residence. Hillary4Prison.

Castro is a shit pick.
Warren remains a shit pick.

Also, I was reading the Economist today.

20160423_USP001_0.jpg

I'd build his wall. Or some other innuendo that actually makes sense.

Paskil

Can my avatar be Hillaryfied in some way?

I got an RSVP to a Women for Hillary for some Breaking Down Barriers thing. I wish I could to go DC. Kirsten Gillibrand gonna be there. :(

TyrantII

Can somebody from Mass explain to me how they can be such a Dem stronghold but keep electing Republican Govs?

The state establishment nominated Martha Coakley. Twice. Same lady that sent Scott Brown to the Senate in Ted Fucking Kennedys seat.

A combination of the party trying to push through a hack loyalist who's "time it was" and it happening during low turnout special and midterm elections.

I'd vote either Bernie or Hillary, and I couldn't vote for Coakley. Shes a pretty aloof politician and honestly Baker was easily more qualified than she was.

The state party, surprisingly, doesn't have a deep bench. They rely on their Union and local machine support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom