• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
the obesity argument is secondary, and Kenney has been pretty up front about it. This bill is to fund pre-K using one of the few legal revenue streams available to the city. See the above comment re: Philadelphia not being able to levy local taxes due to Harrisburg.

If it cuts obesity, great- but no one really expects it to make much of a dent. Behavior simply isn't changed that way.

It took not only increasing the cost of cigarettes several hundred percent, but also removing the tobacco industry's ability to advertise in most media and a de facto ban on showing smoking in tv and movies in general AND a massive "stop smoking it will kill you" campaign to get cigarette use to drop. And those things are WIDELY known to be highly addictive, cause lung cancer and a host of other health problems with no positive benefit.

There is absolutely no possibility you're going to be able to penalize the soda industry this way.
You're right....damn you, coca cola.

jiggle

she's like a Leslie knope that loves money
I like it

London is stanning for the Queen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/us/politics/hillary-clinton-vice-president.html

Seems like Castro is falling out of favor.
O'Malley not in consideration huh?
She cares less about ideological and personal compatibility than about picking a winner, someone who can dominate the vice-presidential debate and convince Americans that Mrs. Clinton is their best choice.
Oh

the obesity argument is secondary, and Kenney has been pretty up front about it. This bill is to fund pre-K using one of the few legal revenue streams available to the city. See the above comment re: Philadelphia not being able to levy local taxes due to Harrisburg.

If it cuts obesity, great- but no one really expects it to make much of a dent. Behavior simply isn't changed that way.

It took not only increasing the cost of cigarettes several hundred percent, but also removing the tobacco industry's ability to advertise in most media and a de facto ban on showing smoking in tv and movies in general AND a massive "stop smoking it will kill you" campaign to get cigarette use to drop. And those things are WIDELY known to be highly addictive, cause lung cancer and a host of other health problems with no positive benefit.

There is absolutely no possibility you're going to be able to penalize the soda industry this way.
No. Soda and cigarettes are different. Cigarette consumption is highly inelastic which is why it takes so much effort to curb. Sugar is not.

No. Soda and cigarettes are different. Cigarette consumption is highly inelastic which is why it takes so much effort to curb. Sugar is not.

Soda consumption also isn't likely to change very much, especially among the poor. Note that this isn't just soda, its any sweetened beverage i.e. sweet teas, sports drinks, etc.

The alternatives are pretty much nil. You think people are going to get 40oz buckets of water to go with their popcorn at the local multiplex?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Soda consumption also isn't likely to change very much, especially among the poor. Note that this isn't just soda, its any sweetened beverage i.e. sweet teas, sports drinks, etc.

The alternatives are pretty much nil. You think people are going to get 40oz buckets of water to go with their popcorn at the local multiplex?
Yes. Ban comic book trash and only show foreign language films!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
are you drunk right now? Maybe we should be taxing zima or whatever it is you're high on this morning
cvYzlur.jpg

I'm high on sudsy goodness and experiencing life as a commoner!

thcsquad

If the tax is per ounce (not knowledgeable about the Philly ordinance, just saying in general), wouldn't the main effect be too bring down the average ounceage? That doesn't sound terrible.

cvYzlur.jpg

I'm high on sudsy goodness and experiencing life as a commoner!

the hell? are you in a laundromat? have some self respect, sir

If the tax is per ounce (not knowledgeable about the Philly ordinance, just saying in general), wouldn't the main effect be too bring down the average ounceage? That doesn't sound terrible.

probably not. prepackaged drinks are fixed in size. cans, 16oz bottles, 2L bottles, 1L bottles, sit down restaurant glasses, etc. This is where most of the revenue will be coming from.

Fast food drinks are usually rolled up in a value meal of some sort. a bigger drink usually means more fries, etc. I don't expect too many people to change the ounce sizes here- especially since soda is by far the cheapest part of that meal for the restaurant. it's nearly 100% profit.

movie theatres? same thing. drinks are mostly profit for them, and that's one of the use cases where consumers KNOW they're being bent over on pricing (drink pricing in theatres is insane compared to a grocery store) and don't really care.

I only drink Coke Zero because it's mega healthy. I'd better get taxed zero too!

no sugar in that, no tax.

edit: actually..that might not be true. the tax will be on distributors, not consumers. It's possible they may simply spread the cost of the tax over all drinks, and not just sugary ones. But that's just a hypothetical.

I'm all for Soda Taxes. Always have been. It's about making the healthier option the more affordable choice and generating some revenue at the same time, not squeezing money out of the poor.

With 1% of precincts reporting, we are ready to make a projection and it is that when all the posts are counted in the state of Denial, Y2Kev will pick up what our election desk is calling an overwhelming victory.

royalan

A New Policy Disagreement Between Clinton and Sanders: Soda Taxes

Obviously Hillary was bought out by Bloomberg. More at the link.

By the way, a soda tax worked in Mexico!

“Making sure that every family has high-quality, affordable preschool and child care is a vision that I strongly share,” Mr. Sanders said, in a written statement. “On the other hand, I do not support paying for this proposal through a regressive tax on soda that will significantly increase taxes on low-income and middle-class Americans. At a time of massive income and wealth inequality, it should be the people on top who see an increase in their taxes, not low-income and working people.”

j94sbi9.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I could swear he already has been. I suppose it defends on the fuzzy rules of delegate fuckery.

its possible that if he vastly overperforms in the remaining states AND all of the unbound delegates (there are about 200 of these) back cruz, he could still win-

but this is WILDLY implausible. by any reasonable definition he's done.

hiryu2015

You know Reddit has hit rock bottom when they are upvoting Iranian and Russian State Media articles about Hillary.

SMH.

I was reading one of the Sanders boards and there was a post saying some Sanders supporters are getting booted from r/politics because they have been accusing every post/comment with a hint of pro-Clinton sentiment of being a shill.

This struck me as a bit of genius way to drown out those without much self control. You aren't gonna be able to tone down the rhetoric in an echo chamber but any board/thread claiming to have open discussion now has reason to boot anyone without a lick of proof making accusations towards other posters. You don't even need to have actually paid or hired anyone to do anything.

The Clinton camp doesn't pay me. I pay them.

Iolo

“Making sure that every family has high-quality, affordable preschool and child care is a vision that I strongly share,” Mr. Sanders said, in a written statement. “On the other hand, I do not support paying for this proposal through a regressive tax on soda that will significantly increase taxes on low-income and middle-class Americans. At a time of massive income and wealth inequality, it should be the people on top who see an increase in their taxes, not low-income and working people.”

j94sbi9.gif

I thought that's how his Medicare for All is supposed to work. Increase taxes significantly on lower income people and make up the difference with premium decreases. Also, that image.

Speaking of Nate, this tweet from him yesterday cracked me up.

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 16h16 hours ago
Indiana is becoming must-win for #NeverTrump and #NeverTrump ain't winning it, although suspect it's more a toss-up than lean Trump.

Bold prediction.

I was reading one of the Sanders boards and there was a post saying some Sanders supporters are getting booted from r/politics because they have been accusing every post/comment with a hint of pro-Clinton sentiment of being a shill.

This struck me as a bit of genius way to drown out those without much self control. You aren't gonna be able to tone down the rhetoric in an echo chamber but any board/thread claiming to have open discussion now has reason to boot anyone without a lick of proof making accusations towards other posters. You don't even need to have actually paid or hired anyone to do anything.

The Clinton camp doesn't pay me. I pay them.

It's really bizarre. There's a group on r/politics who, every time someone dares post something positive about Hillary, they did through your entire post history and pull out stuff they object to as proof you're a shill. One idiot went and found me saying "Hillary is basically as close to a Democrat as you can get" as proof I was a paid shill, on that asinine article a week ago about how Hillary was a moderate Republican. Like... lol

Yea, my 4 year old account that also actively posts on r/smashbros, r/tf2, r/parrots and r/dota2 is really a shill account. Oh yea, and r/ashens. Hillary clearly looks for people interested in a British man making fun of cheap toys on the internet to be their paid shills. It's a requirement, actually.

pigeon

Banned
Also, in general, funding policy programs with Pigouvian taxes is kind of dumb for obvious reasons. If universal pre-K works and you make a bunch of smart kids then one thing they might do is recognize the health problems caused by soda and stop drinking it. Then what do you do?

However getting the pre-K is what's important. Once it's in place it'll be easier to pass some other tax to pay for it if the soda tax is insufficient.

royalan

The race on the Dem side is done, also on the Republican side, honestly. Cruz is near mathematically eliminated, and his appeal has peaked. Meanwhile, Trump continues to gain in the polls.

I don't see Trump NOT taking it on the first ballot, at this point. Even if he doesn't get 1,237, if he gets within 100 of that I see him winning enough unbound delegates to get over the line.

This race is boring anyway. Trump is predictably idiotic. Cruz's face keeps making increasingly smarmy shapes. The only interesting thing right now is Kasich, and really only because I think he's about one or two more bad interviews away from actually hitting someone.

Who does Trump pick as a VP?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, in general, funding policy programs with Pigouvian taxes is kind of dumb for obvious reasons. If universal pre-K works and you make a bunch of smart kids then one thing they might do is recognize the health problems caused by soda and stop drinking it. Then what do you do?

However getting the pre-K is what's important. Once it's in place it'll be easier to pass some other tax to pay for it if the soda tax is insufficient.

Once it's enshrined and people are used to it being there, if something pops up to make people stop drinking enough soda they'll be forced to find another revenue stream. Right now getting their foot in the door is the biggest issue.

Holmes

Did you say pierogi?

Makai

The race on the Dem side is done, also on the Republican side, honestly. Cruz is near mathematically eliminated, and his appeal has peaked. Meanwhile, Trump continues to gain in the polls.

I don't see Trump NOT taking it on the first ballot, at this point. Even if he doesn't get 1,237, if he gets within 100 of that I see him winning enough unbound delegates to get over the line.

This race is boring anyway. Trump is predictably idiotic. Cruz's face keeps making increasingly smarmy shapes. The only interesting thing right now is Kasich, and really only because I think he's about one or two more bad interviews away from actually hitting someone.

Who does Trump pick as a VP?
Kasich is the frontrunner for VP. Christie is possible.

Gotchaye

So...wait, what? He's predicting that...someone will win? Or no one? It's a toss up between someone and no one.

"Indiana is becoming a must-win for #NeverTrump" = Kasich/Cruz have to do well in the Indiana primary to stop Trump.

"and #NeverTrump ain't winning it, although suspect it's more a toss-up than lean Trump." = Trump currently leads in the polls, and Silver thinks there's a Trump bias in the polling, but he also thinks that this bias is not large enough to make a Trump loss more likely than not.

Kasich is the frontrunner for VP. Christie is possible.
No and no. Trump's entire game is "these politicians". He's no way in fuck nominating a beltway insider like Kasich. One who's associated with toxifying the party in the first place (W.). Christie is just a fatter Trump but in office. He brings nothing new and daresay might start stealing Trump's thunder schtick. He will nominate a nutso Military general.

Crocodile

Wow, Soda taxes? I haven't heard about those since Bloomberg tried to push it through in New York a while back. Like I can see both sides of the issue. I probably lean on yes to said tax (ideally a Brita Filter on your tap should be able to provide you with all the drinking water you need if not just the tap itself) but I admit I might be privileged in this respect because I've mostly cut Soda out of my diet already of my own volition. So its easy to argue for a tax if you know it won't affect you.

So...wait, what? He's predicting that...someone will win? Or no one? It's a toss up between someone and no one.

He's saying #NeverTrump has to win Indiana but they are very likely to lose. That being said, he thinks it will be a narrow victory for Trump and he still has a chance to lose as opposed to being a given for Trump.

Makai

No and no. Trump's entire game is "these politicians". He's no way in fuck nominating a beltway insider like Kasich. One who's associated with toxifying the party in the first place (W.). Christie is just a fatter Trump but in office. He brings nothing new and daresay might start stealing Trump's thunder schtick. He will nominate a nutso Military general.
He's gotta pick an insider to "join the houses" of the Trump and establishment factions. His best bet is a Senator to help him "make deals."

Maledict

I think if Trump is 100 or so delegates short, he'll offer the VP slot to Kasich to get his delegates behind him. Not sure if Kasich takes it, but it would make sense for Trump to offer that (and get the party establishment behind him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom