• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, sometimes the stars do align?

But seriously, implement basic income, you can even get rid of things like minimum wage. The primary reason minimum wage exists is to give the employee a degree of leverage, basically a written agreement that nobody will work for less than X number of dollars. Basic income would replace that leverage. Because, if someone wants to pay you 3 dollars an hour to work at something, and you don't like it, you don't have to take the job to survive. Shit, you can could probably even reduce workplace regulations to a degree because employees have the ability to leave if they don't feel safe. Don't get me wrong, not all regulations should go though ;)

It will get complicated though when it comes to determine what the amount should be combined with the differences in cost of living. Some of those differences should probably not be reflected as higher base income.

I'm out for the evening, so no more replied for awhile. Basic income is interesting to consider, and the ramifications of such a plan could be significant. But shit, it's 4:20 EST...
No. You don't get rid of minimum wage. No way.

This isn't an excuse to roll back worker's rights. Otherwise people will just sit at home. That's not the goal.

Bowdz

Don't know if it's been posted but from Stephen Byne

CjqnnBvVAAALKdP.jpg

That can't be a Trump rally. There is way too much diversity.

Makai

"What has upset me, and what I think is -- I wouldn't use the word 'rigged' because we knew what the rules were -- but what is really dumb, is that you have closed primaries, like in New York State, where three million people who were Democrats or Republicans could not participate," Sanders added. "You have a situation where over 400 super delegates came on board Clinton's campaign before anybody else was in the race, eight months before the first vote was cast. That's not rigged, I think it's just a dumb process which has certainly disadvantaged our campaign," he said.

Sanders says primary system isn't rigged, just dumb.

The pace of this thread, overnight on a weekend, is scary.

Two things:

1) A third party run would hand Hillary the presidency, but it would also drive conservative turnout and help down ticket. Don't hope for this. Also expect it to be used to de-legitimize her in public discourse for 4 years. Some people still try to pull that shit on Bill (when it wasn't really true) and it will actually have substance this time. But mostly, don't hope for something that will drive up GOP turnout.

2) Everyone is right about Mags being there, and especially next to Red Skull. Even Joker hates the Red Skull. Where's Darkseid? He should be a big fan.

Farmboy

The pace of this thread, overnight on a weekend, is scary.

Two things:

1) A third party run would hand Hillary the presidency, but it would also drive conservative turnout and help down ticket. Don't hope for this. Also expect it to be used to de-legitimize her in public discourse for 4 years. Some people still try to pull that shit on Bill (when it wasn't really true) and it will actually have substance this time. But mostly, don't hope for something that will drive up GOP turnout.

I'm in two minds on this. On the one hand I agree with you that it could help the GOP down ticket. On the other, it may intensify their 'civil war'.

Following the conservative blogosphere right now (mostly for the schadenfreude but also to get a bead on their thinking on this), there's some #nevertrumpers who would love a candidate to believe in, but also a lot of folks going 'well, I don't like Trump at all but stopping Hillary and saving the SCOTUS is now the priority'. Those in the latter camp are already writing how Romney and Kristol should just shut up and go away now. If an actual candidate is announced, they might well be as mad about it as Trump supporters.

There's no telling what the infighting will lead to, but there's certainly a scenario where it would actually depress turnout and turn off GOP-leaning undecideds.

A well known republican making a third party run would make the electoral victory a lot more than it would be in any other situation.

But it would save down ticket Republicans. Which is why I don't want it to happen.

Don't give house Republicans an outlet to save face. Force them into a position that would make them endorse Trump or turn on there base. Trump alone is the best scenario.

Agreed. A strong Republican in everything but name third party run would lead to an Electoral College blowout, just as it did in 1912. But I suspect it would help Republicans downballot by getting some conservatives voters to the polls who would otherwise stay home and making it easier for candidates to distance themselves from Trump (though it might still be a tough balancing act not to antagonize Trump voters). I'm not sure this would be a good thing.

dramatis

Success of Jerry Brown, and California, Offers Lesson to National Democrats [NY Times]
As the Democratic presidential primary nears in California, it is easy to find in Mr. Sanders the kind of populist appeal that has long animated Mr. Brown, who ran for president in 1992 on a “We the People” pledge to accept no contribution over $100. But it is just as easy to find in Hillary Clinton, Mr. Sanders’s opponent, the kind of political moderation and fiscal restraint that has come to define Mr. Brown’s tenure as governor.

Mr. Brown is in many ways a blend of these two very different candidates, having created a style that has made him an enduringly popular and successful California governor. And it is not only Mr. Brown: The California Democratic Party stands as a model of electoral success and cohesion, in contrast to national Democrats struggling through a divisive primary and debate about an uncertain future.

California is one of the few states in the country, and easily the largest, where Democrats are completely in control, holding every statewide office as well as overwhelming majorities in the Assembly and the Senate, not to mention both United States Senate seats. Mr. Brown and his party are using that power to try to enact legislation — on guns, tobacco, the environment, the minimum wage and immigrant rights — that suggest the kind of agenda that has eluded national Democrats.
The divergent fortunes of state and national Democrats go beyond voter registration. California Democrats have a bench of younger candidates waiting to step up as its older leaders — Mr. Brown, 78; and Senators Barbara L. Boxer, 75; and Dianne Feinstein, 82 — approach retirement. By contrast, the choice of Mrs. Clinton, 68, and Mr. Sanders, 74, is a reminder of the absence of fresh players prepared to take the national field.
“Jerry Brown is a unique combination of the leadership qualities of Hillary and Bernie,” said Gavin Newsom, the lieutenant governor, who is running to succeed Mr. Brown when his term ends in early 2019. “Jerry is extraordinarily adept at populism. But he also has the hardheaded pragmatism that comes with experience, wisdom — and age.”

It certainly seems appealing to California voters: According the latest Field Poll in April, 55 percent approved of his performance. But he has not endorsed anyone in the presidential primary on June 7, and it is difficult to say whether voters prefer the Sanders or the Clinton side of their governor. A poll last week by the Public Policy Institute of California found Mr. Sanders and Mrs. Clinton essentially tied, a surprise to Mrs. Clinton who had expected California to be a relatively easy win. As a result, both candidates are making frequent appearances here, and are advertising on television, in advance of the primary.
But you know, California could maaaaaybe go for Trump.

ampere

Trump doesn't believe in nerdy stuff like analytics or offices in battleground states, so that saves him the hassle of hiring so many people

Also, don't believe what his people say, only him!

Emarv

Corey Lewandowski alone is worth at least 100 employees. Maybe 200 if he marathons through all of Harry Stamper's scenes in House of Cards for the 5th time this summer.

Why is Red Skull with Joker? Some kind of DC vs Marvel special or something?

Joker having a line he won't cross feels really out of character. Maybe it's just because I've been binge watching the DCAU the last few months, but Joker is a complete lunatic with no lines or any shred of morality, let alone patriotism.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That moment when everyone else had a ti-89 and you still had a ti-82 from your brother's class five years ago

Agreed. A strong Republican in everything but name third party run would lead to an Electoral College blowout, just as it did in 1912. But I suspect it would help Republicans downballot by getting some conservatives voters to the polls who would otherwise stay home and making it easier for candidates to distance themselves from Trump (though it might still be a tough balancing act not to antagonize Trump voters). I'm not sure this would be a good thing.

I don't see it happening though. Republicans still more or less dominate in the state and local level and they will swallow a Trump presidency if it means the Senate and Supreme Court are still in their hands.

Teggy

Hey look, the National Review thinks Trump isn't that bad after all.

Clinton's Deceptions Are Worse Than Trumps

I can't believe The Baltimore Sun published this trash.

The State Department's inspector general released a report last week concluding that Hillary Clinton is a breathtakingly brazen and consistent liar.

No, that's not a direct quote. Bureaucrats don't talk that way under the best of circumstances -- and this IG, Steve Linick, is an Obama appointee whose report is about the apparent Democratic nominee for president.

I'm really surprised no one ever asks details about the TEMPORARY Muslim ban from Trump.

This would be pure, crystallized fuckery that would create a good amount of hits. Trying to get Trump to explain how he would deal with people that claimed to have converted to Christianity from Islam would be fucking amazing.

This seems like a huge missed opportunity from the WaPo and Times.

I'm really surprised no one ever asks details about the TEMPORARY Muslim ban from Trump.

This would be pure, crystallized fuckery that would create a good amount of hits. Trying to get Trump to explain how he would deal with people that claimed to have converted to Christianity from Islam would be fucking amazing.

Trump has already said the Muslim ban was "just a suggestion". Heck, in a debate, he said we just kind of needed "a something". What appeals to his supporters is not the specific policy of banning Muslims, but the fact that he SAYS it and thereby signals that he believes Muslims are a threat worth dealing with. It's the prejudice of the policy, not its specific proposed mechanism, that appeals.

gaugebozo

Details?

"I have lots of top men on it. It'll be so successful you'll be tired of how safe we are."

Something like that.

studyguy

Details?

"I have lots of top men on it. It'll be so successful you'll be tired of how safe we are."

Something like that.

Didn't he also call his earlier primary claims 'suggestions' recently or something to that effect? As in he was looking into but not committed to those stances? I seem to recall him backing away like that from some of his nonsense.

Someone at the BBQ I went to yesterday said that if his daughter didn't break up with her boyfriend he was going to "Put the fear of Trump" into him.

Is...is this a thing now? Ugh.
This could mean so many things. Universal disgust from minorities? Will she go bankrupt three times? Does she have a hairstyle that has had more jokes made about it that rod blagojevich's?

Reading itwasmeantobe19s article, is anyone actually surprised that Florida is 49th in the nation in mental health funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom