• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man what a weekend. A predominantly white crowd at a Bernie rally in Oakland starts singing We Shall Overcome, Bernie fell asleep at a memorial day event, Trump goes to war with a Judge of latin heritage and Bill Kristol is trying to run a zombie Reagan for 3rd party.

Is this true?! If so, then this angers me on some many different levels.

Is this true?! If so, then this angers me on some many different levels.

This is a stupid criticism. Was Johnson wrong to use that in his speech?

Attacking his voters when they support civil rights and criminal justice reform is silly. Especially when sanders does have a fair number of minority supporters. This isn't a good look from clinton supporters.

Man what a weekend. A predominantly white crowd at a Bernie rally in Oakland starts singing We Shall Overcome, Bernie fell asleep at a memorial day event, Trump goes to war with a Judge of latin heritage and Bill Kristol is trying to run a zombie Reagan for 3rd party.
Who thought that was a good idea..

Taiser

Wow, that basketball. Cringey. He could have at least dressed the part. Dammit, man, how badly do you want California? Try harder! Christie failed when he forgot to wear something to that Cowboy's game, too. Classic. If only both teams could have lost that playoff game. Oh well.

This is how I define it as pandering: What's the percentage chance the candidate would actually do such a thing, were they not involved in an election? It is 0%? Then it's pandering. Even if it's 1%, I'll cut them a little slack, but I've never heard of Bernie being a basketball (or sports of any type) fan, and sure as hell not the type with a bucket list item of "see a game in every NBA arena." Christie's thing, yeah, I can at least imagine that he'd actually have fun at an NFL game, and he's there courting campaign money face-to-face. Moreover, is it a thing they could be doing privately to express support for? If yes but are choosing to do so in public then that's also pandering. Christie is up on the owner's booth not at all trying to hide it. Bernie just being at the game wouldn't be interesting enough, but he just had to be seen among the masses
of people who paid thousands of dollars for tickets

Please tell me we have footage of Sanders chanting along to some 1990's jock jams track. Might as well salvage this.

Typical disclaimer if anyone wanted to ask: Yes, I would groan just as loudly if Hillary were at that game. Please tell me she wasn't. She's better than that. Or at least smart enough to know to hide in a luxury box that doesn't have a camera pointed straight at it the whole game. Or at bare minimum, if she was there, that we have some embarrassing footage of her, too. I'd be cool with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6QFRTZ4JEWA#t=77

studyguy

Yo, Politico's nerdcast is awful.
Like absolute awful, I felt like I was listening to a TMZ tier tabloid show the way they gossip about insignificant shit.

Maledict

Reporter changes topics and asks Trump about the Gorilla story.

Ok, yeah, the media is terrible.

To be fair, the American media has often been supine. They honestly just don't know how to deal with an interview subject who won't answer the question. You need someone like Jeremy Paxman or Jon Snow to interview Trump - you can guarantee he'd walk off set within 10 minutes.

But that's the beauty of public funded broadcasting - they don't need to worry as much about ratings, so they can literally attack on the same single question 7 times in a row to demonstrate what's wrong.

(Not saying our media is perfect, but you just don't get that type of hostile questioning in the states it seems because if people refuse to be interviewed you lose ratings).

Now hold on a second..

PBY

Banned
Yo, Politico's nerdcast is awful.
Like absolute awful, I felt like I was listening to a TMZ tier tabloid show the way they gossip about insignificant shit.

Yep. Its just weird how they frame these huge critical issues as "lets geek out over political nerdery and treat this only as a horse-race to be observed"

also this trump presser is off the rails

Slayven

Please tell me you are joking

Please tell me you are joking

The millions of admirers of the TV presentation of ‘Roots’ didn’t include Ronald Reagan, who said, ‘Very frankly, I thought the bias of all the good people being one color and all the bad people being another was rather destructive.’ He added that he was impressed by the huge audience the series attained, but ‘I didn’t know there was anyone who could stay home eight nights in a row.’

Raygun would have turned on the crazy so well that he would have won the nomination in modern times, don't worry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-about-roots-in-1977-including-ronald-reagan/

Emarv

Press asks Trump "is this contentious relationship with the press what a Trump presidency will be like?" "Yeah, it is."

Man, that was great. Hopefully this causes a lot of reporters to buckle down and accept reality.

You have to be approved for a WH tour? Back when I was a kid my parents and I just did it one afternoon while visiting family in DC. Got to wander around Bill's White House.

Actually, given the time frame when I was there, some hanky panky might have been going on in the Oval Office, right when I was there! That's kind of freaky to think about.

Slayven

You have to be approved for a WH tour? Back when I was a kid my parents and I just did it one afternoon while visiting family in DC. Got to wander around Bill's White House.

Actually, given the time frame when I was there, some hanky panky might have been going on in the Oval Office, right when I was there! That's kind of freaky to think about.

You went on the common people tour, Y2Kev was going to get the Platinum tour

What I got out of that is that Trump expects the media to not demand answers of a President. So lol? He knows that's just going to make them push back even harder, right?
I'm not claiming she doesn't pander. Oh lord she does. But such a painfully blatant situational mysteriously convenient plant? No. Even that Yankees example isn't raw pandering since, you know, she was Senator of that state at the time. Sanders sure isn't a Senator from California.

Owzers

Press asks Trump "is this contentious relationship with the press what a Trump presidency will be like?" "Yeah, it is."

Man, that was great. Hopefully this causes a lot of reporters to buckle down and accept reality.

Wolf won't stand for this.

studyguy

I can't stand watching Trump rallies any longer, just feels like a waste of time. Also no press is going to buckle down until the DNC mobilizes and starts slinging shit his way. As it's been mentioned on a number of news outlet podcasts, if you press Trump too hard apparently he just blacklists the reporter.

Emarv

Kate Bouldan and Dana Bash legitimately upset on CNN right now at Trump's comments. Pushing back and getting flustered. Good stuff.

this is serious slayven, you know what kind of uphill battle it is for an old white guy to become president
Jews are not white.

VVU0MxQ.gif

Can a white guy do that?

HylianTom

Banned
Kate Bouldan and Dana Bash legitimately upset on CNN right now at Trump's comments. Pushing back and getting flustered. Good stuff.
Similar line of questions on MSNBC right now; you could tell that Mitchell was a bit perturbed.

Now they're discussing how he possibly keeps the party united. I kinda wonder if the wheels will fall off of the GOP unity wagon if polls start showing him consistently behind after Hillary wraps-up her nomination.

Seriously Trumps view and actions towards the press are the most disqualifying thing about him to me. His racism stuff can be struck down by congress and the courts. But if you don't fellate him he'll wage war against you.

That's scary. He wants a north korea-type press.

Plus the whole lawsuit threats, thiel's support, etc

studyguy

The jewish led Anti Defamation League and civil rights leaders have a long, long history of partnership. Was hearing this on my drive to work this morning regarding how the ADL is trying to keep up with current trends. That past actions hold little water with the current breed of activists as they're finding themselves more in line with different groups, specifically Palestinian activists.

"Increasingly, we've seen folks on campuses say, [with regard to] this intersectionality ... 'If we believe black lives matter, we therefore also must be anti-Israel and pro-Palestinian,' " he says. " 'Because we are for, you know, reproductive rights, we are against Israel.' I mean, generally speaking, I find that specious. I think we need to look at each issue on its own and consider it on its own."

"New anti-racism activists aren't impressed by, 'We marched with you in Selma,'" she says. "It doesn't go anywhere. It's a long time ago."

Emarv

Seriously Trumps view and actions towards the press are the most disqualifying thing about him to me. His racism stuff can be struck down by congress and the courts. But if you don't fellate him he'll wage war against you.

agreed. it's the most directly fascistic part of him that you can tell is at his core. even his racism and misogyny aren't as deeply rooted as his hatred for the Free Press.

The jewish led Anti Defamation League and civil rights leaders have a long, long history of partnership. Was hearing this on my drive to work this morning regarding how the ADL is trying to keep up with current trends. That past actions hold little water with the current breed of activists as they're finding themselves more in line with different groups, specifically Palestinian activists.

Because we are for, you know, reproductive rights, we are against Israel

What the hell is this?

HylianTom

Banned

I'll note this:
Remember the press always having about various complaints about how Hillary interacts with the press? Is it me, or has that become more muted now that Trump has, err.., changed the game a bit?

I think they have valid points on how she acts (or how she doesn't interact), but he's been quite a perspective check.

I'll note this:
Remember the press always having about various complaints about how Hillary interacts with the press? Is it me, or has that become more muted now that Trump has, err.., changed the game a bit?

I think they have valid points on how she acts (or how she doesn't interact), but he's been quite a perspective check.

They just talked about it on CNN.

She interacts with the press all the time just not press conferences. She gives tons of interviews

HylianTom

Banned
They just talked about it on CNN.

She interacts with the press all the time just not press conferences. She gives tons of interviews
Glad to hear. I remember the whining being pervasive at some points.

---

Also: NBC/WSJ/Marist California poll results coming tomorrow.

The press is always always going to regress back to meta-horse-race "analysis" instead of being directly challenging and adversarial because it's the safest easiest and most "neutral' option. They will literally have arms-length discussions about "whether" Trump's relationship with the press will affect the polls because heaven forfend they actually say something that might affect the polls.

It's a Bernie rally?

This "only white people" stuff is annoying. Not only is it wrong and directly contradicted by tons of evidence, it hurts unity. You can pretend to be morally superior in other ways

You can talk about his demographic problem without erasing his supporters of color of which he has a lot of (less than clinton to be sure but they exist in large numbers, especially the youth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom