• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Miss Turkey "convicted" of insulting Erdogan, she'll face 14 months in prison if she "reoffends"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...for-insulting-erdogan-instagram-a7057281.html

But Erdogan wasn't done today.

A proposed German law to label the 1915 mass killings of Armenians a genocide would damage ties between Ankara and Berlin, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday, comments that could further inflame his European critics.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-turkey-armenia-idUSKCN0YM1RP

Can someone drop this guy off a ledge and break his legs already?

I think the point they are making is that it appears being anti-Israel is becoming part of the platform of being progressive.

Therefore, if you support progressive values, you must be anti-Israel.

Their thoughts, not mine.

I get that but the fact that people tie the two issues together? What? I don't get

And I don't like the kind of "slate progressivism." Real people don't think like that and its gonna hurt progressivism if you have to sign up for 100%.

This isn't only about israel. We have to tolerate some heterodoxy in certain areas to get a majority.

That's the bases for the attack? How can you tell whose there? This is weak and a horrible look.

Its unnecessary, divisive and wrong.
Im not attacking lol. Its just a weird juxtaposition of a young predominantly white crowd chanting the hymn. Unless it was a civil rights leaders speaking/rally.

2006 Miss Turkey "convicted" of insulting Erdogan, she'll face 14 months in prison if she "reoffends"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...for-insulting-erdogan-instagram-a7057281.html

But Erdogan wasn't done today.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-turkey-armenia-idUSKCN0YM1RP

Can someone drop this guy off a ledge and break his legs already?
Erdogan has lifted his country out of military dictatorships and repressed economy into the modern global economy. He's a conservative, and many Turks in the heartland are alson conservative. His autocracy moves are alarming, no doubt. But some people are calling for murder, coup and all sorts of nonsense.

Another reason why Erdogan is popular because his opposition is fractured, laughable and constantly infighting. After decades of instability, Turks want political and economic stability more than anything else. Erdogan gives it to them. His positions get misrepresented as well. Every democratic country wants their population to grow because it increases the GDP. He wasnt saying you wimmenz stay home and make babies. He worded it in conservative-speak. He understands the importance of businesses and no way he wants effectively half the workforce out of it. The western European countries are going to face a severe manpower shortage and their economies will stagnate without massively boosting immigration. Canada is already on the program.

bananas

Banned
damn now obama will never get his neogaf account approved.
Obama's got connections higher up.

sZVvI54.gif

Gotchaye

I get that but the fact that people tie the two issues together? What? I don't get

And I don't like the kind of "slate progressivism." Real people don't think like that and its gonna hurt progressivism if you have to sign up for 100%.

This isn't only about israel. We have to tolerate some heterodoxy in certain areas to get a majority.

I don't think that some on the left are leery of the ADL because out of the many things they do they're not as pro-Palestinian as they'd like. My sense is that the ADL is seen as primarily being concerned with providing cover for Israeli treatment of Palestinians. That makes them a group that needs to be strongly opposed; you probably don't want to lend them legitimacy by letting them make token gestures in support of other issues. This seems rather different from requiring that everyone you work with agree with you 100%. Lots of people probably wouldn't want to sign up with an anti-gay group to work on fixing police brutality. I mean, it's great if they do something on their own but it gets a bit awkward when the people you're trying to work with to fight injustice are very actively working to perpetuate some other injustice.

I don't think that some on the left are leery of the ADL because out of the many things they do they're not as pro-Palestinian as they'd like. My sense is that the ADL is seen as primarily being concerned with providing cover for Israeli treatment of Palestinians. That makes them a group that needs to be strongly opposed; you probably don't want to lend them legitimacy by letting them make token gestures in support of other issues. This seems rather different from requiring that everyone you work with agree with you 100%.

Oppose the ADL?

This is exactly why Anti-israel stuff always becomes anti jewish.

This is the ADLs mission statement:
The Anti-Defamation League was founded in 1913 "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all." Now the nation's premier civil rights/human relations agency, ADL fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and protects civil rights for all.

They are not AIPAC, they are not anti-palestinian, they are an organization to defend Jews. If that is something the left doesn't want to stand for then screw them.

And the ADL isn't like some "anti-gay group" and to compare them in that way is frankly worrying as if they are even comparable. They are a civil rights group who, at times defends israel. One issue they differ from many activists on. The rest? probably 95% agreement. They constantly stand for civil rights for all and issued a scathing statement on trumps muslim ban. If they're thrown out of progressivism because on this one issue than progressiveism is doomed to failure and rightfully so.

Gotchaye

Oppose the ADL?

This is exactly why Anti-israel stuff always becomes anti jewish.

This is the ADLs mission statement:

They are not AIPAC, they are not anti-palestinian, they are an organization to defend Jews. If that is something the left doesn't want to stand for then screw them.

I don't follow. The ADL isn't Jewish people collectively. It's an organization with a mission. I said that my sense is that its mission is perceived to be providing cover for Israeli policy. If that's right, then people who think that Israeli policy regarding Palestinians is deeply immoral have a reason to oppose the ADL.

Edit: I mean, lots of organizations have mission statements that I would say are not actually accurate portrayals of what they do. I can think of a bunch that exist to do things like protect the family and the Constitution and babies. I oppose many such organizations. That doesn't make me anti- family or the Constitution or babies.

Toxi

Banned
I decided to take a glance at the r/politics front page to see what it was like.

Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen that level of tunnel vision.

Rolling Stone Interview with Bernie

RS: You've been criticized – including in Rolling Stone – for not putting more specifics behind what the political revolution means as a form of governing—

BS: Well, I—

RS: Can I ask the question? To put it in terms that you were talking about tonight at the rally, I think the critique is not blaming Bernie Sanders for thinking too big, but critiquing Bernie Sanders for sweeping the "unpleasant truths" of our political system right now – the way it ties everything up in knots – "under the rug." Many people say you're right as rain on the policy and the objectives, but "Boy, I just don't think he can do it."

BS: Yes ...

RS:So how do you do it? What are the specifics that allow you to—

BS: What are the specifics about how I, personally, all by myself, do what nobody in American history has done? And I'm being criticized? Why don't you do it? Why doesn't the editor of Rolling Stone do it? Look. You know. With all due respect, that's an absurd question.

Hopefully, we will end up winning the nomination and winning the general election. If we don't do that, which is certainly a possibility, we will have accomplished an enormous amount. Could we have done better? Could I do better? Of course.

The fuck answer is that

Cjy3fLzUYAE3eYz.jpg

Teggy

Glenn Beck was suspended for going along with a caller who wanted to assassinate Trump, lol.

During Wednesday’s “Glenn Beck Radio Program,” fiction writer Brad Thor said he “guarantees” Trump would temporarily suspend the Constitution during his possible presidency and is a “danger to America.”

“With the feckless, spineless Congress we have, who will stand in the way of Donald Trump overstepping his constitutional authority as President?” Thor said. “If Congress won’t remove him from office, what patriot will step up and do that if he oversteps his mandate as President, his constitutional-granted authority, I should say, as President.”

Conservatives believe Trump is more dangerous than Obama. This shit is amazing.

I don't follow. The ADL isn't Jewish people collectively. It's an organization with a mission. I said that my sense is that its mission is perceived to be providing cover for Israeli policy. If that's right, then people who think that Israeli policy regarding Palestinians is deeply immoral have a reason to oppose the ADL.

Edit: I mean, lots of organizations have mission statements that I would say are not actually accurate portrayals of what they do. I can think of a bunch that exist to do things like protect the family and the Constitution and babies. I oppose many such organizations. That doesn't make me anti- family or the Constitution or babies.

The ADL is supported almost universally by every jewish person I know. And its mission statement is exactly what they do. They are not AIPAC.

Look at their news room, its dominated by progressive causes, not "palestinians aren't people"

I'm literally shocked that someone would say opposed the ADL because they hold different views on Israel, as if the issue is black and white all around.

And again comparing them to those hate groups. I'm not sure you realize it but as a Jew these posts are deeply disturbing for what they represent, especially with the rise of Trump. I posted a few weeks ago about a visceral antisemitic incident. We need the ADL. And what I'm hearing is "well whatever forget that and all their work, they don't back Palestine 100% and oppose Israel so they need to go"

Dierce

I decided to take a glance at the r/politics front page to see what it was like.

I wouldn't be surprised if those people are being instigated by conservative groups. My theory is that conservatives want to fracture the social progressive movement by redirecting the focus away from social issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if those people are being instigated by conservative groups. My theory is that conservatives want to fracture the social progressive movement by redirecting the focus away from social issues.

They are. Trump's subreddit constantly trolls r/politics. They've also attracted karma thieves who want easy internet points, so they just post the same Bernie articles every few days that dubious sources print for cheap clicks.

It's a mess and the mods don't care because they're hardcore Bernie supporters.

They are. Trump's subreddit constantly trolls r/politics. They've also attracted karma thieves who want easy internet points, so they just post the same Bernie articles every few days that dubious sources print for cheap clicks.

It's a mess and the mods don't care because they're hardcore Bernie supporters.
Not entirely true. That subreddit has a blacklist for "repost sites".

Man what a weekend. A predominantly white crowd at a Bernie rally in Oakland starts singing We Shall Overcome, Bernie fell asleep at a memorial day event, Trump goes to war with a Judge of latin heritage and Bill Kristol is trying to run a zombie Reagan for 3rd party.

Well, if they were predominantly white then there were probably correct. ;)

Rolling Stone is right behind Jacobin as the most pro-Bernie American media outlet so if he's bombing interviews with them... lol

I wouldn't say he's bombing interviews. Overall the Rolling Stone piece was fine. It's more Bernie being Bernie. If you don't like Bernie you aren't going to start liking Bernie when he continues to give Bernie answers.

In this example, that answer was:

"So what's the strategy? The strategy – which is unprecedented, and this is where we're talking about thinking outside the box – is to have a president who actually, vigorously goes around the country and rallies the American people, who are in favor of this idea. This is not some sort of fringe idea. The American people want it. And [the president] rallies the American people and makes it clear that people in the Republican Party – or Democratic Party – who are not sympathetic will pay a political price. That changes the dynamics.

Everything that I campaign on – they're not fringe ideas. They're not radical ideas. They're ideas that the American people support. What we've got to do now is close the gap that currently exists between the American people over here [gestures to one side of the table], who have needs and goals and desires, and a Congress [gestures to other side], which in almost every instance is ignoring what the American people want.

Now, is it easy to do? No. How do you do it? It's a good question. And the truth is, right now I'm a bit busy running for president to have figured that out, other than to tell you that it requires a mass-based political effort bringing millions of people together to stand up and fight back. Unions could play an important role. Environmental groups, women's groups – groups that are already actively involved. We're going to bring people together to effectively organize and put pressure on Congress to do the right thing."

Which isn't a policy answer, it's an idealistic answer. Some people are comfortable with that others aren't.

Not entirely true. That subreddit has a blacklist for "repost sites".

The same "Bernie is beating Trump in such and such poll" reposts make the front page every single day for the last three months. It's even become a running joke on reddit that these same stories make the front page every single day.

If they have some kind of filter, it's terrible and needs to be adjusted.

They're even posted by people with names like "Bernie4karma" or dumb stuff like that, and they still make the front page.

First, crucial information for any independents in California, who registered accordingly as having No Party Preference (NPP), and want to cast a vote in the Democratic primary:

• Your vote will only be counted if you vote using a Democratic Crossover Ballot, or Democratic ballot, that has the candidate names printed on them.

If you received a NPP ballot in the mail that requires you to "write in" the name of your candidate, you would need to exchange that for a Democratic Crossover Ballot, at your polling station or County Registrar's Office etc.

Assuming you are registered to vote, you are entitled, by law, to vote in the Democratic primary, and under no circumstances accept a provisional ballot, as your vote will not be counted.
Also, apparently in CA, you can take two hours paid leave to vote in the primary, at the beginning or end of your shift. You just need to give your employer at least three days notice.

As for the voter suppression in CA, they are apparently throwing everything at this, and a lawsuit was filed earlier this month (LA Times article) to try and address the confusion created over the deadline for requesting an absentee crossover ballot, by extending the deadline to election day on June 7th. The lawsuit is being heard tomorrow on Wednesday June 1st.

James Reguski, whose web site has been documenting the evidence, and court case, etc, has the latest:

So, although the lawsuit is primarily concerned with how NPP voters have been mislead and misinformed, there is also documentation of Democrats registrations being changed to another party, or lost entirely, and in Orange County, poll workers were being trained, in no uncertain terms, to hand out provisional ballots to NPP voters, despite the handbook clearly mentioning crossover ballots:

Wallach

Yeah, they've been abusing the upvote/downvote system so badly there that it spawned another subreddit called "enoughsandersspam". Which, despite being kind of a shitty subbreddit itself, does have a pretty funny image in its sidebar:

imDRkUT.jpg

Someone explain to me the Israeli conflict. I don't get it. The government of Israeli does not want a two state solution. So they want one state. But then why can't the people of Palestine vote in Israeli elections?

Armaros

The same "Bernie is beating Trump in such and such poll" reposts make the front page every single day for the last three months. It's even become a running joke on reddit that these same stories make the front page every single day.

If they have some kind of filter, it's terrible and needs to be adjusted.

They're even posted by people with names like "Bernie4karma" or dumb stuff like that, and they still make the front page.

Or when you see half the top threads are all the same anti-hillary story from 10 random sites, all mass upvoted.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wouldn't say he's bombing interviews. Overall the Rolling Stone piece was fine. It's more Bernie being Bernie. If you don't like Bernie you aren't going to start liking Bernie when he continues to give Bernie answers.

In this example, that answer was:

Which isn't a policy answer, it's an idealistic answer. Some people are comfortable with that others aren't.

Which is a bit of a problem when a major critique is that he's not well versed in policy. He's just playing into the critique at this point and not even trying to improve.

Someone explain to me the Israeli conflict. I don't get it. The government of Israeli does not want a two state solution. So they want one state. But then why can't the people of Palestine vote in Israeli elections?

Because then they'd run the show since I'm pretty sure there's more of them. A two state solution is the only one that's going to work, Bibi needs to dig his head out of his ass and admit this to himself.

Wilsongt

There should seriously be rules against doctors making you wait for an appointment in the waiting room for 30+ minutes after your scheduled time. I can see now why people with jobs don't go to the doctor. It can be an all morning/all afternoon affair.

The ADL is supported almost universally by every jewish person I know. And its mission statement is exactly what they do. They are not AIPAC.

Look at their news room, its dominated by progressive causes, not "palestinians aren't people"

I'm literally shocked that someone would say opposed the ADL because they hold different views on Israel, as if the issue is black and white all around.

And again comparing them to those hate groups. I'm not sure you realize it but as a Jew these posts are deeply disturbing for what they represent, especially with the rise of Trump. I posted a few weeks ago about a visceral antisemitic incident. We need the ADL. And what I'm hearing is "well whatever forget that and all their work, they don't back Palestine 100% and oppose Israel so they need to go"

Yeah, treating the ADL like some kind of hardcore anti-Palestine organization is surreal to me. They operate almost entirely on striking back at anti-Semitism and advancing civil rights causes in general.

Okay, so, 5000 years ago, this guy named Abraham had some kids and things pretty much went downhill from there.

Or when you see half the top threads are all the same anti-hillary story from 10 random sites, all mass upvoted.

It certainly made me appreciate the subreddits I usually post on. Cooking, Parrots, Aquariums, TF2, Dota 2 and Smash Bros.

Even if those subreddits might have their faults, they're nothing at all like the garbage pile at r/politics. It's pretty much grown into the asylum of reddit, I even went to r/conspiracy just to take a peek, and it was downright reasonable. And when a forum dedicated to nothing but conspiracy theories is more reasonable on certain topics, you know you've got a mess on your hands.

There should seriously be rules against doctors making you wait for an appointment in the waiting room for 30+ minutes after your scheduled time. I can see now why people with jobs don't go to the doctor. It can be an all morning/all afternoon affair.

My grandparents had an appointment awhile ago my mom took them to that was 2 hours late from the appointment time. They eventually just left, my mom had to pick up my brother from school. Then the doctor had the audacity to charge my grandparents money for canceling the appointment.

They never paid and changed doctors after that.

studyguy

Just don't get sick. EASY.

On the real though I have to schedule a doctor's appointment, I feel like my tonsil is probably swollen. Had that cold a while back, but this feeling that my tonsils are still enlarged (the left one anyway) stuck beyond the symptoms of the cold. Feels like I'm stuck with a rock in my throat in the morning.

I mean thats the conflict right there to put it tersely. Giving the Palestinians a vote would mean they will lose the Jewish majority in the parliament. You want to know Israel's end goal here? The goal is to maintain status quo. Boogeymans the Hamas. Exercise military options to garner support and polarize the hawks. Keep occupying territories thats outside the 67 borders. Keep demolishing Arab farms, houses and businesses and parachute settlers there. Play the anti semite card at every turn.

Wilsongt

Just don't get sick. EASY.

On the real though I have to schedule a doctor's appointment, I feel like my tonsil is probably swollen. Had that cold a while back, but this feeling that my tonsils are still enlarged stuck beyond the symptoms of the cold.

The sad thing is, I'm not sick. It's just a check up to ask about some asthma medicine. I don't have anything urgent to do, but I just get super antsy and agitated while waiting.

Yeah, treating the ADL like some kind of hardcore anti-Palestine organization is surreal to me. They operate almost entirely on striking back at anti-Semitism and advancing civil rights causes in general.

I don't think Gotchaye means or intends this at all but with all of this hardening around Israel even with things that aren't related all I hear is "we don't care about jewish issues/jews are on their own"

To be honest that's kinda the history of Jews though :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom