• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

Washington Post: Sanders backers worry that Clinton will clinch nomination before California’s polls close

With just one week to go before this state's primary, supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders are starting to ask whether media coverage will skew results by declaring Hillary Clinton the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party.

"Here's what's really bad," said RoseAnn DeMoro, the executive director of the pro-Sanders union National Nurses United, after the candidate held an event with its members. "At 5 o'clock, evidently, there's this plan for the media, if Clinton wins New Jersey, to say: 'This is over. She's got it locked up.' That's a lie. That's a lie."

"It's a lie," a nurse in the audience said loudly.

"It'll depress turnout on both sides," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said in the same MSNBC segment where Matthews explained the probable call. "It'll be an inaccurate description of the race, because all we have from superdelegates is essentially a poll."

"It would be a horrible injustice," said DeAnn McEwen, 64, a nurse who attended Tuesday's event. "It would be like me saying: Okay, you're going into the ER for cancer surgery. We're going to put you through this, but we're not going to be able to get it out."

If Bernie Sanders proposed a massive infrastructure project that would shuttle water from the Cascades in Oregon all across California, he would win this state. That's how important this issue is here. Since pigeon is from this state as well, I would like to hear his opinion on it.

Which is about on the same level of policy proposal as "Mexico will pay for the wall." Oregon wasn't willing to split costs with Washington on a new bridge across the Columbia River at I5; you're daft if you think we're ponying up money to bail out a bunch of midwesterners who don't understand that lawns are a poor choice for a desert climate. There's a lot of animosity in Oregon towards California as it is; raiding us for water would be a complete non-starter. Might make a good talking point for Bernie, but it would be impossible to implement.

If Bernie Sanders proposed a massive infrastructure project that would shuttle water from the Cascades in Oregon all across California, he would win this state. That's how important this issue is here. Since pigeon is from this state as well, I would like to hear his opinion on it.

No. a) illegal as hell, water rights trump basically everything else. b) as mentioned, is like saying 'We'll build a wall!'

Also Oregon is also in severe drought, projected to probably worsen.

Wilsongt

Looks like it's time for Bernie to talk about Clinton's emails.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/why-bernie-sanders-must-address-email_b_10218114.html
Bernie Sanders must go on the offensive politically regarding the FBI’s investigation of Clinton’s emails and address the serious national security implications of this controversy. The current spin regarding the latest State Department report, from the Clinton campaign and supporters, focuses solely upon record-keeping. The mounds of paper Hillary Clinton would have needed to print (in order to abide by existing guidelines), or the archaic technology at the State Department have been integral to creating the narrative this story is simply about “emails.”

Hahah btw.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"It would be a horrible injustice," said DeAnn McEwen, 64, a nurse who attended Tuesday's event. "It would be like me saying: Okay, you're going into the ER for cancer surgery. We're going to put you through this, but we're not going to be able to get it out."
This statement is misguided and dumb on so many levels.

The whole argument about superdelegates not counting until the convention is so silly. You might as well say the pledged delegates don't count until they officially vote in the first convention ballot. Nothing is official enough for these people until that moment.

By the time New Jersey is called, like at least 80% of California residents will have voted already, most of which weeks before the election. 60% from mail ins, and another 20 from the polls being open for hours by that time.

Any depressed turnout from the news declaring Hillary the candidate, will be statistically insignificant, if not entirely non-existent.

There's a bizarre amount of Bernie supporters who don't seem to realize the majority of CA residents will have already voted by next week. It's partly why the debate was extra pointless.

Which is about on the same level of policy proposal as "Mexico will pay for the wall." Oregon wasn't willing to split costs with Washington on a new bridge across the Columbia River at I5; you're daft if you think we're ponying up money to bail out a bunch of midwesterners who don't understand that lawns are a poor choice for a desert climate. There's a lot of animosity in Oregon towards California as it is; raiding us for water would be a complete non-starter. Might make a good talking point for Bernie, but it would be impossible to implement.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. But this is just about winning over Californians, not pleasing Oregonians.

No. a) illegal as hell, water rights trump basically everything else. b) as mentioned, is like saying 'We'll build a wall!'

Also Oregon is also in severe drought, projected to probably worsen.
Sorry, my implicit assumption was that California would pay for the water. I was not aware of Oregon's drought. I was mostly thinking of the recently discovered trillions of gallons in reservoirs under the Cascades.

pigeon

Banned

Who are you suggesting that would actually convert? The Central Valley?

Here in the Bay I don't think anybody gives much of a shit about the drought. They should probably care more, but I don't think they actually do.

Those people that do care, in my observation, already blame the establishment for diverting so much water to agriculture (without necessarily understanding that agriculture is a major part of the California economy and also, duh, requires a lot more water than people do). They are probably already sanders voters.

I'd rather just productionize desalinization than build a pipeline to Oregon, since it would be more generally useful and also I have zero reason to believe Oregon would agree to the plan. Frankly, if we had to get the Colorado River water again I doubt we'd be able to get agreement on that.

Probably a good read on Trump's recent, even more over the top racism.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/over-the-waterfall-into-trump-s-racist-abyss

Trump said:
"Here's what happens. We're in front of a very hostile judge. The Judge was appointed by Barack Obama ... Frankly he should recuse himself ... This should have been dismissed on summary judgment easily. Everybody says it, but I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump, a hater. He’s a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curiel ... The judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great, I think that’s fine ... You know what? I think the Mexicans are going to end up loving Donald Trump when I give all these jobs, OK? ... I’m telling you, this court system, judges in this court system, federal court, they ought to look into Judge Curiel. Because what Judge Curiel is doing is a total disgrace, OK?"

Seriously, this man is the fucking worst.

Uhh... I just got an email with the requirements for the ACT my little brother is taking.

One of the requirements is that your gender must match the gender on your ID.

I'm a bit annoyed at this. It sort of jumped out at me as being rather pointless and stupid.

Clinton will be the presumptive nominee once the New Jersey polls close.

Her poll numbers will coalesce a bit and most of the summer she'll have a 4-7 point average in the polls that will be pretty durable because of partisanship. Her favorables will inch up to maybe the low 40s, but still will be underwater. Trump will still have poopy toilet numbers.

Republicans will regret attaching themselves to Trump in the moment of the year where Clinton's support was the most fractured.

Hillary will win 6-7 points, Obama 12 states + NE-2 and NC.

From that Rolling Stone interview, more magical protesting changing Paul Ryan's mind.

Has he been around for the last 8 years? Presumably he was in the Senate, but still in the United States right?

Here is what I don't get:

1. He says that his Presidency will be different because he will continue to actively campaign and rally support as a sitting President. Ok great.

2. He says that he can't come up with specific solutions because he is too busy campaigning. He also talks about how hard the schedule has been on him.

Wait, being President is one of the few jobs that has a more arduous schedule than running for President. If he is going to continue to devote time and energy to rallying voters, when is he going to find the time to do that whole "Run the country" thing?

Huh... maybe there is a reason that other sitting Presidents don't hold huge rallies twice a week...

mo60

Clinton will be the presumptive nominee once the New Jersey polls close.

Her poll numbers will coalesce a bit and most of the summer she'll have a 4-7 point average in the polls that will be pretty durable because of partisanship. Her favorables will inch up to maybe the low 40s, but still will be underwater. Trump will still have poopy toilet numbers.

Republicans will regret attaching themselves to Trump in the moment of the year where Clinton's support was the most fractured.

Hillary will win 6-7 points, Obama 12 states + NE-2 and NC.

I have a feeling the margin of victory will be 8%+ for clinton.Turnout may be high enough to make that possible. I think she will get around 53-55% of the vote unless the third parties cut into her share of the vote. She will probably get a EV around 350. It may get as high as 380 depending on how lucky she is.

Looks like it's time for Bernie to talk about Clinton's emails.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/why-bernie-sanders-must-address-email_b_10218114.html

Hahah btw.

Bernie does not care about those emails. It's funny how his supporters like H.A.Goodman keep on talking about her emails when he does not really mention them in the first place.

Wilsongt

Next Tuesday. Thank God.

Then you have to go through a few weeks of people yelling voter fraud and voter suppression, a few lawsuits, and then maybe Bernie will concede. But, I think Weaver is going to take this all the way to the convention.

Boke1879

Central Valley needs to stop fucking farming water intensive crops.

The farmers use up so much water. My god. We don't keep our lawn green and we live in Irvine, so it's not like we don't care about appearances. They should probably stop wasting one gallon per single almond or whatever the rate is.

June 7th.

Democratic is "open" to Dems and NP voters. Republican is closed, not that it matters.

[I'm a poll worker weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.]

Don't worry. You got this.

Then you have to go through a few weeks of people yelling voter fraud and voter suppression, a few lawsuits, and then maybe Bernie will concede. But, I think Weaver is going to take this all the way to the convention.

He's like Grima Wormtongue, whispering in the ear of the old & clouded Sanders.

Here in the Bay I don't think anybody gives much of a shit about the drought. They should probably care more, but I don't think they actually do.

Those people that do care, in my observation, already blame the establishment for diverting so much water to agriculture (without necessarily understanding that agriculture is a major part of the California economy and also, duh, requires a lot more water than people do). They are probably already sanders voters.

I'd rather just productionize desalinization than build a pipeline to Oregon, since it would be more generally useful and also I have zero reason to believe Oregon would agree to the plan. Frankly, if we had to get the Colorado River water again I doubt we'd be able to get agreement on that.
Southern California, actually. And I think there are a lot of people in NorCal that are resentful of SoCal for having demanding water use. SoCal will be what propels Clinton forward next week so my hypothesis is based on the possibility of biting into that support.

The farmers use up so much water. My god. We don't keep our lawn green and we live in Irvine, so it's not like we don't care about appearances. They should probably stop wasting one gallon per single almond or whatever the rate is.
I mean, the solution to that is to just raise the price of water for agriculture and the market will handle it. I think. Btw what's the tax rate on gambling?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Isn't desalinization crazy expensive currently?

June 7th.

Democratic is "open" to Dems and NP voters. Republican is closed, not that it matters.

[I'm a poll worker weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.]

Yeah - the crops grown in CA are not the best given the water situation. Not sure if they can do anything about it at this point though.

Good luck at the polls. :D

Kangi

VPg0sKZ.png

pigeon

Banned
Southern California, actually. And I think there are a lot of people in NorCal that are resentful of SoCal for having demanding water use. SoCal will be what propels Clinton forward next week so my hypothesis is based on the possibility of biting into that support.

sf chronicle said:
For all of their progressive image, San Francisco Democrats do not appear to be feeling “the Bern” — with Hillary Clinton besting Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders by 54 percent to 42 percent among likely primary voters, according to a new poll making the rounds.

Clinton is up 15 points on Sanders on the more moderate west side, 55 percent to 40 percent, according to the poll. But even on the very liberal east side of town, the former secretary of state has a 53 percent to 43 percent advantage.

Hillary stomps the Bay Area. Sanders might win the North Bay but nobody cool lives there.

I agree that NorCal people hate SoCal in general because of how much it sucks, but I am not sure that really translates into actual voting. After all, ultimately we must all stand together against the other 49 states.

Isn't desalinization crazy expensive currently?

It has actually gotten a lot cheaper as reverse osmosis has been improved (like 25% of previous energy requirements), but the public perception of it is still that it's too expensive. Graphene will hopefully help once we figure out how to make it. Ultimately, as with so many other things, I don't think desalination is optional, so we need to start making it efficient eventually.

Iolo

Well, the man himself said today Clinton will not clinch the nomination on June 7 because she will not have enough "real" delegates.

@daveweigel said:
Sanders: It will be "factually incorrect" that Clinton will clinch on June 7, bc she won't have majority of "real delegates."

So now that the math no longer works, we are just making up terms and rules.

Well, the man himself said today Clinton will not clinch the nomination on June 7 because she will not have enough "real" delegates.

The best way to convince Superdelegates to side with you is to say that they aren't "real" delegates. Super smart.

Wilsongt

So, basically, superdelegates don't count unless they are for Bernie, which is what Weaver is spewing.

"Here's what's really bad," said RoseAnn DeMoro, the executive director of the pro-Sanders union National Nurses United, after the candidate held an event with its members. "At 5 o'clock, evidently, there's this plan for the media, if Clinton wins New Jersey, to say: 'This is over. She's got it locked up.' That's a lie. That's a lie."

"It's a lie," a nurse in the audience said loudly.

This doesn't sound at all like things you hear in a church or a cult.

I'm really surprised The Irvine Company lets you get away with that

You guys are taking relatively innocuous quotes and ascribing the worst motives.

Have you ever spent time in a Pentecostal church or a cult? Or most churches for that matter?

Invariably you hear a lot of things like:

Leader: They are going to tell you that <evidence> <evidence> <evidence>. That's a lie.

Follower: That's a lie!

Cults of personality can be the same.

itschris

Sorry, Sanders, but superdelegates are just as "real" as pledged ones. Technically, pledged delegates don't vote until the convention either; the only difference is that supers can change their minds. So what you're really asking them to do is overturn the will of the majority of voters, something that would be unprecedented.

And he's never been able to come up with an answer to the fact that without super delegates Clinton would also pass the majority of delegates. The only reason the number is that high is because of supers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom