• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember this shit coming up in the pre-debate period with Bernie and Hillary where Bernie supporters were absolutely insistent that Bernie was gonna slaughter Hillary in the debates because of how powerful his message is. Then it turned out he showed up to most them basically unprepared and unfocused. Seriously, the thing people remember most about the debates is Bernie telling the moderator to not talk about email.

I don't know why everyone forgets Hillary is a sharp when it comes to debates. Did the GOP brass forget Hillary owned the entire GOP in a literal televised interrogation?

HylianTom

Banned
Clinton's speech has Chris Matthews neither regions all a twitter.

I'm not used to this degree of positive reaction. It feels weird. There's usually a lingering "but.." or Mika & Mike's hushed faux-concerned voices or Andrea trying to steer things back to email..

Slayven

They’re not even really ideas: just a series of bizarre rants, personal feuds, and outright lies. He’s not just unprepared, he’s temperamentally unfit to hold an office that requires knowledge, stability and immense responsibility. This is not someone who should ever have the nuclear codes — because it’s not hard to imagine Donald Trump leading us into a war just because somebody got under his very thin skin.

Like, I think Hillary needs to hammer this home all election season. I think this can be a very effective method of attack.

Guy Benson ✔ ‎@guypbenson
Shorter Hillary: I'm a serious adult who knows things.

Trump is a reckless, unhinged know-nothing.

Yes. This is the way to go. A vote for Trump is a vote for a clown. That's the 2016 election.

Now that Paul Ryan has shown himself to be a significantly worse Speaker than Boehner and just as accepting of white nationalism as anyone else, I think the Dems should go harder after his House seat.

I'm sick of how political correct the media is. The only way to describe Trump's comments about the judge in the Trump U case is as "racist conspiracy rambling."

thebloo

This is a good speech. It's probably "boring" for the general public, but she'll get good press for it. Grown-up Hillary.

I still flinch every time she says something about his hands, waiting for the joke. I don't think she'll go there. Yet.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I remember this shit coming up in the pre-debate period with Bernie and Hillary where Bernie supporters were absolutely insistent that Bernie was gonna slaughter Hillary in the debates because of how powerful his message is. Then it turned out he showed up to most them basically unprepared and unfocused. Seriously, the thing people remember most about the debates is Bernie telling the moderator to not talk about email.

I don't know why everyone forgets Hillary is a sharp when it comes to debates. Did the GOP brass forget Hillary owned the entire GOP in a literal televised interrogation?

Because she ran into the Obama buzzsaw in the last major set of debates she had prior to this primary; and people tend to remember the last thing someone does and over-prioritize it in their memories (aka recency bias).

I do think Trump's kind of underrated in debates - he did basically light the GOP candidates on fire and send them into irrelevancy one debate at a time - but the debates between the two will be interesting. It's nuance and facts vs persuasion and simplicity.

Trump is pretty much calling for the Final Solution to the Muslim problem and no one cares.

Trump is too stupid and reckless to beat Hillary, but I expect that genocide of Muslim people will happen under a more sane-sounding candidate in the future unless people start more aggressively combating bigotry in this country and in Europe.

thebloo

A thought I've not seen discussed. Trump started the campaign on offence, but now he's mainly playing defense and will most likely do so for a while. I mean even before the speech, he was already defending himself.

I know that his "base" won't move, but a large part of his image is that he's tough, so playing defense may hurt him more than the stupid stuff he says.

My neighbor's bumper stickers: "Life's a bitch! Don't elect one.", "Hillary Clinton for Prison 2016", "If the bitch wins, we all lose", "HilLIARy", "Obama Bin Lyin", "think twice cuz I won't" with a pic of a gun, Ben Carson 2016 and "JESUS SAVES".

I know this dude's wife a bit and she must be fucking mortified when riding around in that truck lol.

itschris

New Los Angeles Times California poll: 49% Clinton, 39% Sanders among likely voters; 44% Sanders, 43% Clinton with all eligible voters.

Also interesting, from FiveThirtyEight:

The State Of The Polls, 2016

In the Democratic race, the polls had a 1.8 percentage point bias toward Clinton (and against Sanders) overall. However, it varied significantly based on the demographic makeup of the state, with Clinton outperforming her polls in diverse states and Sanders beating his in whiter ones. Specifically, in states where at least 25 percent of the population is black or Hispanic, the polls had a pro-Sanders, anti-Clinton bias of 5.7 percentage points. But they had an 8.2 percentage point bias toward Clinton, and against Sanders, in states where less than 25 percent of the population is black or Hispanic.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyone who believed for a second about this whole "Republican Civil War tearing the party apart!" crap is a goddamned idiot.

Paul Ryan supporting Trump is the least surprising thing on the planet. People in government like him have spent their entire lives being Republican, and they're voted in by people who have spent their entire lives being Republican. Even if Ryan found Trump to be the most reprehensible person on the planet, he'd still eventually endorse him because his idiot base would demand that he do so. No matter how bad Trump can get, the alternative is a Democrat candidate that most Republicans would commit suicide before they even think about supporting.

I will say that I am somewhat surprised that the Bush family has held firm. I'm legit impressed by that. Still, those guys are no longer in government positions and no longer in the public eye period, so they have little to lose.

God I can't wait for the GE ads to hit. There are so many quotes to just run a series of "Donald Trump On: Women/Foreign Affairs/Workers/Immigrants/Religious Minorities/Energy/Housing/Etc"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone who believed for a second about this whole "Republican Civil War tearing the party apart!" crap is a goddamned idiot.

Paul Ryan supporting Trump is the least surprising thing on the planet. People in government like him have spent their entire lives being Republicans, and they're voted in by people who have spent their entire lives being Republicans. Even if Ryan found Trump to be the most reprehensible person on the planet, he'd still eventually endorse him because his idiot base would demand that he do so. No matter how bad Trump can get, the alternative is a Democrat candidate that most Republicans would commit suicide before they even think about supporting.

I will say that I am somewhat surprised that the Bush family has held firm. I'm legit impressed by that. Still, those guys are no longer in government positions and no longer in the public eye period, so they have little to lose.

Romney's held firm too. They all have more balls than I ever gave them credit for.

God I can't wait for the GE ads to hit. There are so many quotes to just run a series of "Donald Trump On: Women/Foreign Affairs/Workers/Immigrants/Religious Minorities/Energy/Housing/Etc"

A dog could cut decent ads with the material Trump's doled out, I can't wait to see what her team gets out there.

I just watched that John Oliver bit on primaries. Ugh.

I hate this view of politics as politicians needing to on high fix everything so its easy and oh so simple.

That's not how politics ever has or ever will work. Its literally asking for the laws of how power works to stop just because

Okay, PoliGAF

It's August. Clinton v. Trump. But, surprise! Trump is slaughtering Clinton in the polls. 30 point margins. And the culprit is obvious. "Crooked Hillary Clinton." It's everywhere. Google Auto-completes searches to say Crooked Hillary. The anchors on CNN call her that because they assume it's the only name people will know her by. MSNBC and John Oliver and Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are all on board. A few Democrats in interviews have been saying it when trying to support her. Congress even passed a bill saying that candidates must be known by their nicknames on ballots nationwide, so in November, people will even be voting for Crooked Hillary Clinton. The situation is grim.

But the Clinton campaign has a shot. They recruit you to come up with a nickname for Donald Trump. A one or two word branding like "Lyin' Ted" or "Little Marco" or "Low Energy Jeb" or "Crooked Hillary" or "Wacky Bernie" to destroy him. It's the only way to reverse the trend and save the country. What name do you use on Donald?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Paul Ryan supporting Trump is the least surprising thing on the planet. People in government like him have spent their entire lives being Republican, and they're voted in by people who have spent their entire lives being Republican. Even if Ryan found Trump to be the most reprehensible person on the planet, he'd still eventually endorse him because his idiot base would demand that he do so. No matter how bad Trump can get, the alternative is a Democrat candidate that most Republicans would commit suicide before they even think about supporting.

Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line.
Romney's held firm too. They all have more balls than I ever gave them credit for.

A dog could cut decent ads with the material Trump's doled out, I can't wait to see what her team gets out there.

I think there is prep for 2020 involved in this as well.

Okay, PoliGAF

It's August. Clinton v. Trump. But, surprise! Trump is slaughtering Clinton in the polls. 30 point margins. And the culprit is obvious. "Crooked Hillary Clinton." It's everywhere. Google Auto-completes searches to say Crooked Hillary. The anchors on CNN call her that because they assume it's the only name people will know her by. MSNBC and John Oliver and Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are all on board. A few Democrats in interviews have been saying it when trying to support her. Congress even passed a bill saying that candidates must be known by their nicknames on ballots nationwide, so in November, people will even be voting for Crooked Hillary Clinton. The situation is grim.

But the Clinton campaign has a shot. They recruit you to come up with a nickname for Donald Trump. A one or two word branding like "Lyin' Ted" or "Little Marco" or "Low Energy Jeb" or "Crooked Hillary" or "Wacky Bernie" to destroy him. It's the only way to reverse the trend and save the country. What name do you use on Donald?

Either Con-Man Donald or Thin-Skinned Trump off the top of my head.

Sianos

I would say that being forced to coalesce your party around Trump counts as losing the civil war. Yeah, they surrendered instead of being fully routed, but on very unfavorable terms as far as their future prospects in the face of implacable demographic changes.

Grexeno

Okay, PoliGAF

Tiny Hands

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, PoliGAF

Off the top of my head?

Double-Dealin' Don

Gotta go for that alliteration bonus

I think there is prep for 2020 involved in this as well.

I would think Romney's dead politically after 2012 and Jeb's been exposed pretty badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom