• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Con-Man Donald or Thin-Skinned Trump off the top of my head.

Con Man Don was my first thought, too. I considered Confidence Don, because I think it sounds better rhythmically, but I'm don't think 'confidence' would make people think 'con' and instead sound too much like a compliment.

My other option was Know Nothing Donald. Either you want to emphasize that he's ripping you off, or that he doesn't know what he's doing, since I don't really think you can do both.

Holmes

LA Times California Poll:

All voters:
Bernie: 44%
Hillary: 43%

Likely Voters:
Bernie: 39%
Hillary: 49%

Democrats Only:
Bernie: 37%
Hillary: 53%

Nonpartisans Only:
Bernie: 48%
Hillary: 35%

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-latimes-presidential-primary-poll-20160602-snap-story.html
All voters, as in every registered voter in the state? Nice to know California would be a swing state in a Clinton vs. Sanders general election, although I kind of believe that.

Okay, PoliGAF

It's August. Clinton v. Trump. But, surprise! Trump is slaughtering Clinton in the polls. 30 point margins. And the culprit is obvious. "Crooked Hillary Clinton." It's everywhere. Google Auto-completes searches to say Crooked Hillary. The anchors on CNN call her that because they assume it's the only name people will know her by. MSNBC and John Oliver and Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are all on board. A few Democrats in interviews have been saying it when trying to support her. Congress even passed a bill saying that candidates must be known by their nicknames on ballots nationwide, so in November, people will even be voting for Crooked Hillary Clinton. The situation is grim.

But the Clinton campaign has a shot. They recruit you to come up with a nickname for Donald Trump. A one or two word branding like "Lyin' Ted" or "Little Marco" or "Low Energy Jeb" or "Crooked Hillary" or "Wacky Bernie" to destroy him. It's the only way to reverse the trend and save the country. What name do you use on Donald?
Diminutive Digit Donald.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The way the GOP crushed Kerry as a "flip-flopper" in 2004 should be the exact blueprint for the democrats right now with Trump. There are literally hours upon hours of footage out there with him flip-flopping, and some being within hours of the original statement.

Can someone explain why isolation is supposed to be a good strategy?

Honestly, I don't get it. Based on history, isn't a policy of isolation like.. bad? It never ends well, does it?

Why would America be any different if we suddenly went into isolation mode?

The idea is that the US foreign policy decision making is incompetent and brings bad things to the world every time.

Okay, PoliGAF

It's August. Clinton v. Trump. But, surprise! Trump is slaughtering Clinton in the polls. 30 point margins. And the culprit is obvious. "Crooked Hillary Clinton." It's everywhere. Google Auto-completes searches to say Crooked Hillary. The anchors on CNN call her that because they assume it's the only name people will know her by. MSNBC and John Oliver and Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are all on board. A few Democrats in interviews have been saying it when trying to support her. Congress even passed a bill saying that candidates must be known by their nicknames on ballots nationwide, so in November, people will even be voting for Crooked Hillary Clinton. The situation is grim.

But the Clinton campaign has a shot. They recruit you to come up with a nickname for Donald Trump. A one or two word branding like "Lyin' Ted" or "Little Marco" or "Low Energy Jeb" or "Crooked Hillary" or "Wacky Bernie" to destroy him. It's the only way to reverse the trend and save the country. What name do you use on Donald?

I mean, nothing would actually work in that exact scenario but I get what you're asking.

Whining Trump, Whiny Baby Trump, Manbaby Trump, I don't know, something like that. It's patently obviously that he's thin-skinned and whiny, and if you don't mind being low and sexist about it, you probably need to emasculate him. Also makes it hard to complain about since he'll just sound.. whiny. It's why that "thin-skinned" attack in her speech was so good and resulted in that hilariously off-balance tweet from him.

itschris

Yeah, it's strange the way the article emphasizes the registered voters numbers so much more than likely voters. Anything to show a close race!

So is California open? How likely (possible) is it that a bunch of Republicans vote Bernie to screw with the numbers?

Democrats and Independents can vote, but not Republicans.

I asked my mom for Donald nickname suggestions. F*uckhead is her current choice. She also suggested Dumbass Donald. Then she started ranting about Bernie.

"Republicans fall in line" when all of the Democrat politicians cleared out for Hillary and when the Republican voters destroyed the party and humiliated every politician in it.

I don't know.

Why bother putting ALL VOTERS for California.
That's not how the state primary works at all.

I think it means all eligible registered voters (D + I). Which is still kinda dumb days before the primary but it's at least potentially relevant. If it's literally all registered voters that's super dumb.

Anyone who believed for a second about this whole "Republican Civil War tearing the party apart!" crap is a goddamned idiot.

Paul Ryan supporting Trump is the least surprising thing on the planet. People in government like him have spent their entire lives being Republican, and they're voted in by people who have spent their entire lives being Republican. Even if Ryan found Trump to be the most reprehensible person on the planet, he'd still eventually endorse him because his idiot base would demand that he do so. No matter how bad Trump can get, the alternative is a Democrat candidate that most Republicans would commit suicide before they even think about supporting.

I will say that I am somewhat surprised that the Bush family has held firm. I'm legit impressed by that. Still, those guys are no longer in government positions and no longer in the public eye period, so they have little to lose.

The money hasn't fallen in line yet. Until the big donors write their checks, the party is fractured.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Off the top of my head?

Double-Dealin' Don

Gotta go for that alliteration bonus

I would think Romney's dead politically after 2012 and Jeb's been exposed pretty badly.

I suspect the desperation after Trump might bring Romney back to the forefront (especially if Ryan despises the GOP after being the speaker for that long)

I would say that being forced to coalesce your party around Trump counts as losing the civil war. Yeah, they surrendered instead of being fully routed, but on very unfavorable terms as far as their future prospects in the face of implacable demographic changes.

This is also a possibility

Can someone explain why isolation is supposed to be a good strategy?

Honestly, I don't get it. Based on history, isn't a policy of isolation like.. bad? It never ends well, does it?

Why would America be any different if we suddenly went into isolation mode?

Globalization (and our leaders response to it, both Clinton and Bush) did hose the US lower / middle class pretty damn well. Once the H1-B visas start flowing for programmers and start targeting middle / upper-middle class jobs, this will explode as a much bigger issue in the US. It's somewhat natural that people want to go back to isolationism after being abused by globalization. (It's a bad idea, but understandable)

Diminutive Digit Donald.

Problem with going after the hands comment is that Trump and the GOP would destroy Clinton on the double standard sexism involved. Clinton's running on the "woman" platform heavily, and making sexist attacks (even if deserved) against Trump would lead to an asswhooping by Trump. It also blows up the "Hillary is the cool headed professional compared to Trump" narrative.

ampere

Anyone who believed for a second about this whole "Republican Civil War tearing the party apart!" crap is a goddamned idiot.

Paul Ryan supporting Trump is the least surprising thing on the planet. People in government like him have spent their entire lives being Republican, and they're voted in by people who have spent their entire lives being Republican. Even if Ryan found Trump to be the most reprehensible person on the planet, he'd still eventually endorse him because his idiot base would demand that he do so. No matter how bad Trump can get, the alternative is a Democrat candidate that most Republicans would commit suicide before they even think about supporting.

I will say that I am somewhat surprised that the Bush family has held firm. I'm legit impressed by that. Still, those guys are no longer in government positions and no longer in the public eye period, so they have little to lose.

I still think there will be negative ramifications for downticket stuff, though not as significantly as I had initially thought. Trump is alienating women more than any GoP nominee has in the past.

And Romney and the Bushes actually grew spines. I'm impressed as well.

johnsmith

remember me
I still think there will be negative ramifications for downticket stuff, though not as significantly as I had initially thought. Trump is alienating women more than any GoP nominee has in the past.

And Romney and the Bushes actually grew spines. I'm impressed as well.
It's not that impressive when the only never trump people are those who are never running for office again.

itschris

I think it means all eligible registered voters (D + I). Which is still kinda dumb days before the primary but it's at least potentially relevant. If it's literally all registered voters that's super dumb.

It's "voters eligible for the Democratic primary". Of course, the likely voters number is the one that counts (like all the other California polls since January). This +10 Clinton poll plus the recent +2 polls puts the average at 48% Clinton, 41.8% Sanders (+6.2 Clinton).

Could early voting be causing the discrepancy in those rv/lv numbers?

No, it's just the screen they're using. There's always a discrepancy between LV and RV, but usually you try to report on who you think will actually show up than all voters who are registered to vote. You almost never publish RV numbers for an election for that reason. It's sort of, I don't want to say gauche, but very unusual.

I asked my mom for Donald nickname suggestions. F*uckhead is her current choice. She also suggested Dumbass Donald. Then she started ranting about Bernie.

Your mom is a bit older, right? Is she in her seventies?

I can't wait until I reach the age that your mom is at where she clearly gives no fucks and will say what the fuck ever she wants and go on long rants about injustice and stupidity.

I enjoy hearing the running commentary from your mom, is what I'm saying.

"Tiny Hands Trump" if you want to be low-brow, "Delusional Donnie" if you want to belittle him in a less juvenile way. "Says he'll build a wall - delusional. Says he'll start a trade war with China - delusional. Says he's worth a billion dollars - delusional. Every time he makes another false promise, every says 'There goes Delusional Donnie again!'"

Ted Strickland is fucking up his run. I haven't seen a single ad from his campaign at all. Portman's on the air, as his affiliated Super PACs. Come on, Ted. If we're going to lose, I'd rather lost with Sittenfeld.

Your mom is a bit older, right? Is she in her seventies?

I can't wait until I reach the age that your mom is at where she clearly gives no fucks and will say what the fuck ever she wants and go on long rants about injustice and stupidity.

I enjoy hearing the running commentary from your mom, is what I'm saying.

"Tiny Hands Trump" if you want to be low-brow, "Delusional Donnie" if you want to belittle him in a less juvenile way. "Says he'll build a wall - delusional. Says he'll start a trade war with China - delusional. Says he's worth a billion dollars - delusional. Every time he makes another false promise, every says 'There goes Delusional Donnie again!'"

She's older, ya. Not quite in her 70s yet. She's getting close though. Zero fucks are given. To be fair, she's never been one to entertain idiots anyway. But, she's gotten a lot more vocal in her later years. She'll read a bitch just to see what happens.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, it's just the screen they're using. There's always a discrepancy between LV and RV, but usually you try to report on who you think will actually show up than all voters who are registered to vote. You almost never publish RV numbers for an election for that reason. It's sort of, I don't want to say gauche, but very unusual.
I mean couldn't that have been manipulating the screen?

"Have you voted already" makes you 100% a likely voter

It's June.

I know, but still. Portman is running ads that are actually decent. I mean, they're basically blaming Strickland for the entire recession, but they fit a narrative that is already there. He totally should be doing something (anything) to try and combat this.

The one from one of Portman's SuperPACs was a video of Strickland talking about how great it was to be a paid lobbyist, basically. How he made more money last year than he's ever made in his life. I'm just saying, cut an ad or something. Just anything.

I also have issues with Strickland. He is definitely a "hold your nose and pull the lever" candidate for me. I'd have rather had SIttenfeld, if I thought he had a chance. I voted for him in the primary...but...meh.

royalan

Great speech from Hillary today.

I've been hearing a lot of pundits say that Hillary needs to find the right way to attack Trump while also remaining positive and running on her record. I think this speech hit the nail on the fucking bead.

She ripped Trump apart, highlighted her record and experience in a way that drove home her point, and painted a picture of a great America all in the same speech.

Probably the best speech she's given since her 2008 concession.

WatTsu

Read the transcript of Hillary's speech and immediately started thinking "SLAY QUEEN" proving I've spent too much time lurking in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom