• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZluElFp.jpg

...I still don't get it.

Which leaves me wondering. At the very least, Clinton has big names on the Democratic side ready to act as a surrogate for her and the Democratic message. Warren, Frank, and soon Obama(s) and presumably Biden too.

Who's the big names on the Republican side really acting as a forceful campaign surrogate for Trump other than his actual campaign staff?
I think it says something that all three of the living Democratic presidents are pretty good campaign assets. Clinton left office with record approval ratings, Carter's image rehabilitated pretty well, and Obama, while hated by Republicans is immensely popular with Democrats and seems to be pretty agreeable with most swing voters. If nothing else you'll probably see a lot of "both candidates will be worse than four more years of Obama" even from people who voted for Romney.

Flip side - the Bushes seem to be banned from the party for life. Even of GOP presidents who've died more recently, Nixon is obviously out of the question, Ford wasn't there long enough to have any real sway and Reagan's declining health (plus alleged divorce from the GOP in his twilight years - he supposedly voted for Gore in 2000) made it hard for him to be an effective campaigner out of office.

Obama is supposed to be the Democrats' Reagan but the major difference is he'll likely have an integral role in shaping Democratic policy for the next 20-30 years. Or maybe even longer.

royalan

God bless the black man on MSNBC right now who interjected and said that it's not just Hillary's responsibility to bring Bernie's supporters on board. Bernie himself NEEDS to play central role in convincing his supporters that it's ok to support Hillary. And that Hillary's supporters in '08 might not have moved over to Obama so easily if Hillary herself had not gone out and made the case for him as strongly as she did.

I'm tried of seeing people give in to Bernie's selfishness.

Even if they had such a figure on the GOP side - which they really don't - they'd just be with their eyes to the ground as they try and explain away the latest bullshit comment from Trump. We've already seen McConnell have to choke down the words earlier about these judge comments.

I really feel like this is going to be an unprecedented failure of an election for the GOP. it's going to do damage they don't fully recover from, much like Goldwater.

Christie is the only one who's given him a big hug and we haven't even seen him in a while.

Yep too toxic.

Part of me is getting curious to see what the speeches at the GOP convention are going to be like this year. Who's going to get up on stage and give a vigorous, full endorsement of Trump that amounts to anything more than "uh, well... um... we need to... not Hillary."

Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but she's not a candidate that the party apparatus and elected officials want to keep their distance from. That might be reflected during the respective convention atmospheres.

ampere

Who's the big names on the Republican side really acting as a forceful campaign surrogate for Trump other than his actual campaign staff?

Earlier on MSNBC, Mitch McConnell avoided calling Trump a racist when asked about Trump's remarks toward the federal judge. Does that count as campaigning?

ZZZ:

EDIT: This is apparently the official results page if you want to watch it:

http://democratas2016.ceepur.org/Island-Wide.htm

Kev deserves this torture for being so establishment

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Interesting. CNN just mentioned that Obama's super-ready to jump in and endorse after the nominee is named. He's probably as fed up with Bernie as most Dems are.
This is going to be good.

I think it says something that all three of the living Democratic presidents are pretty good campaign assets. Clinton left office with record approval ratings, Carter's image rehabilitated pretty well, and Obama, while hated by Republicans is immensely popular with Democrats and seems to be pretty agreeable with most swing voters. If nothing else you'll probably see a lot of "both candidates will be worse than four more years of Obama" even from people who voted for Romney.

Flip side - the Bushes seem to be banned from the party for life. Even of GOP presidents who've died more recently, Nixon is obviously out of the question, Ford wasn't there long enough to have any real sway and Reagan's declining health (plus alleged divorce from the GOP in his twilight years - he supposedly voted for Gore in 2000) made it hard for him to be an effective campaigner out of office.

Obama is supposed to be the Democrats' Reagan but the major difference is he'll likely have an integral role in shaping Democratic policy for the next 20-30 years. Or maybe even longer.

This is also true, and it's one of Gore's campaign mistakes in not recognizing Bill Clinton's ongoing positive approval ratings during the 2000 election and keeping him distant. Fast forward to 2008 and you had an outgoing GOP president who actually was too toxic to have on the campaign trail.

Just wondering, can we expect Rocky De La Fuente to get a substantial amount of votes here? It seem Puerto Rico would be the only place that he has a possibility to take a good part of the vote.
Reddit is a mistake. A big mistake. Mess. Sad.

How'd abandoning the black vote work out for them in the long term?
Pretty good. They've had 6 presidential terms since Nixon, and have controlled the House of Representatives for many more cumulative years than the Democrats have in the same time period. They also managed to kill the influence of the liberal wing of the Democrat party and forced them to move to the right to get elected in 1992. Between the end of Johnson's presidency and the beginning of Obama's, we haven't had a staunchly progressive president for a whole FORTY years. And currently Republicans hold something like 70% of federal, state, and local offices nation-wide.

So, yeah. Worked out pretty well.

Expect another conservative/nativist dark age after Clinton's first term.

I don't believe Hillary will declare herself the nominee on Tuesday; the campaign could determine that declaring victory early on the east coast could depress turnout in California, and declaring victory at a California rally might not happen until well past prime time for television. I'm more apt to believe she'll hold some type of event in Brooklyn on Wed or Thurs to do it.

Which leaves me wondering. At the very least, Clinton has big names on the Democratic side ready to act as a surrogate for her and the Democratic message. Warren, Frank, and soon Obama(s) and presumably Biden too.

I'd imagine he'll do what he did during the primary campaign: trot out various washed up celebs or figures like Bobby Knight and Sarah Palin. I'd also expect he has a list of former military officials to campaign with him.

Who's going to speak at the convention? There was an article somewhere about Trump potentially speaking multiple times during the convention, instead of simply doing the traditional acceptance speech. Chris Christie seems like he'll get a spot, but outside of that who knows.

This is also true, and it's one of Gore's campaign mistakes in not recognizing Bill Clinton's ongoing positive approval ratings during the 2000 election and keeping him distant. Fast forward to 2008 and you had an outgoing GOP president who actually was too toxic to have on the campaign trail.
I don't agree with it, but I can see Gore's logic for distancing himself. Clinton's job approval was high, but his personal favorability was shot after the Lewinsky scandal.

It's such a great thing that Obama has been totally scandal-free during his eight years, even if the GOP tries to make fetch happen with things like Benghazi. He will be a very powerful elder statesman in his post-presidency years, mainly because he's still very young and sharp. And the millennial generation will largely have fond memories of him as they come into power themselves. There will always be people who just hate him but they will be a firmly entrenched minority.

The fact that he had a solid presidency will make him far more effective than Carter, the fact that he seemed to keep it together in his personal life/private dealings will make him more effective than Clinton. Not to mention Bill will likely be a first spouse and his wife has now run for president twice (as well as the Senate twice) so he hasn't really been above the fray the same way as Obama, unless Michelle or one of his daughters run for something in the future.

So, Katrina Pierson was on. They asked her about the Mexican judge. She spewed bullshit for a few minutes until Joy Reid bitch slapped her down, saying it was incredibly racist. Then they asked her about the "my African American" thing. She said it wasn't racist because Trump always says things like that. Lawrence O'Donnell jumped in and said that Trump has said racist things against AA people. Katrina asked for receipts, so they mentioned the asking for Obama's transcripts. She said that it was completely not racially motivated and everyone always asks for college transcripts. She got hit hard again, telling her it's never been done. She then pivoted and said that it wasn't racist because it's not a policy, therefore, no one can be offended.

And then she had no idea what Birtherism was, and said no one could be offended by that either.

Mess.

All of Trump's lackeys are just like that. Just listen to Omarosa.

pigeon

Banned
Pretty good. They've had 6 presidential terms since Nixon, and have controlled the House of Representatives for many more cumulative years than the Democrats have in the same time period. They also managed to kill the influence of the liberal wing of the Democrat party and forced them to move to the right to get elected in 1992. Between the end of Johnson's presidency and the beginning of Obama's, we haven't had a staunchly progressive president for a whole FORTY years. And currently Republicans hold something like 70% of federal, state, and local offices nation-wide.

So, yeah. Worked out pretty well.

Expect another conservative/nativist dark age after Clinton's first term.

Nope, this is dumb and ignores changing demographics and American political history.

Nope, this is dumb and ignores changing demographics and American political history.
Cherry-picking recent history too. Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of the past 6 presidential elections. The fact that Reagan dominated politics for over a decade is relatively meaningless.

Democrats have a firm advantage in presidential races. That doesn't mean they'll always win, but the GOP will need to moderate themselves dramatically to make themselves regularly competitive and not just winning fluke elections. House and Senate might take some time to catch up (remember that Democrats held the House for 40 years before losing it in 94, even when Nixon, Reagan and Bush won in landslides) but they'll get there.

studyguy

The guy sold me seats where 1 person sits between my girlfriend and I. Hopefully the person between the two of us is okay with swapping a seat otherwise shit's gonna be real real awkward lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom