• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The elephant has long been the mascot of the Republican Party, but former House speaker Newt Gingrich says Donald Trump could take the GOP’s affection for the animal to new heights.
“He is a great showman," Gingrich told the Christian Broadcasting Network’s David Brody. "We have no idea what a Donald Trump convention will be like. I would not be shocked to see him ride in on Thursday night on an elephant. Who knows!?”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-gingrich-elephant-convention-223959#ixzz4ApyGtUGE
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

/DEAD

/DEADER THAN DEAD

kadotsu

Banned
The real question for me is who in their right fucking mind would blow money contributing to a Trump campaign? The only reason to do it is to save downticket races and's basically blowing those up.

Remember when people were giving some Jackasses $15,000 a month for Sarkesian rebuttal videos? Or seed faith donations? There are enough racist people to fund the campaign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When you've lost lyin Ted

CkS8A14WEAAeh5W.jpg

You know what, though? Screw these guys for trying to make it sound as harmless as possible.

"Inappropriate." Give me a break. This goes well beyond "inappropriate."

Wow that's a big number for him. That's 10% of total superdelegates. Kind of surprised people would come out for a loser that late.

I assume these were people he was holding on to, much like Clinton is holding Supers back for after tomorrow. No reason for Sanders to hold them any more.

/DEAD

/DEADER THAN DEAD
To quote Family Guy, the two symbols of the Republican party are the helephant, and an oiled white man afraid of change.

Edit: omg autocorrect. Old. Not oiled.

Hillary should come into the convention on a golden throne carried by hunky, shirtless men...their muscles bulging....small beads of perspiration.... Wait what are we talking about?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Given my work and experiences in life, a Libertarian president might potentially be one of the worst events in the history of our country. Assuming that a Republican Congress goes along with their agenda.

Oh of course (I only tend to agree with their social policies) - but in this scenario

a) a third party starts getting federal funding, and at least the seed is planted for the concept of a third party (or more importantly, the decoupling of social conservatism / liberalism and economic conservatism / liberalism)

b) Johnson HATES Trump - http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/off-message-gary-johnson-libertarian-223922

EDIT: I also couldn't imagine a GOP congress going along with legalizing marijuana and decriminalizing drugs and a whole host of other policy issues.

Hence why I want him in the debate - he would go after Trump hard.

I'm in no way a Libertarian, but I'd love to see them do better and make a third party more prominent. And even better if they could split the GOP base away from the racists and religious regressives.

Which would be my other hope - a strong showing by a socially liberal fiscally conservative party could force a reconstruction of the conservative movement that is grounded in more socially liberal policies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think there's a certain unfortunate irony that the GOP's mascot is an endangered animal.

You know what, though? Screw these guys for trying to make it sound as harmless as possible.

"Inappropriate." Give me a break. This goes well beyond "inappropriate."

If he goes all the way to calling the comments "racist" he triggers every supporter he has who dismisses racism.

In other words, I agree, screw these guys.

To quote Family Guy, the two symbols of the Republican party is the elephant, and an oiled white man afraid of change.

Hillary should come into the convention on a golden throne carried by hunky, shirtless men...their muscles bulging....small beads of perspiration.... Wait what are we talking about?

You autocorrect turns an typo for the world "old" into "oiled."

I do *not* want to see your search history!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So this puts him out of the VP running, right? Others could still come around but Rubio can't be dumb enough to want to be anywhere near this man.

At this point I would legitimately be not surprised if Trump nominated Katrina Piersen.

Wallach

And this before Trump even comes under sustained attack.

I wonder. Let's suppose that Trump makes it past the convention, but then somehow spontaneously implodes during the campaign. Is there then a process for putting up an alternative candidate?

The process is Clinton getting a bunch of Republicans behind closed doors to kiss the ring to mitigate the damage Trump does to the entire party beyond the election. I can only imagine how much she'd revel in them asking her to help save them from themselves.

Priorities USA has an attack ad on Trump mocking the disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUYQUd0Qh8

This type of ad can be effective, IMO. Make people feel full of shame to support Trump.

That's all the Clinton campaign needs to do . Not trying to change the mind of hardcore Republicans , but shame Donald so much that they possibly can't vote for him.

Poligaf on point again, many people were saying how easy it would to beat Trump or that Trump would do too many divisive things. It is quite amazing on how bad Trump is doing his campaign. Like some of his strategies, problems, and his way of running his own campaign is literally self-inflicted wounds that he could have easily handled better or just not do it. He might just go down as the worst notable presidential nominee in history; if he doesn't win he might ruin his own career for the rest of his life.

Once Bill, Hillary, Joe, Obama, the DNC, and the rest of the Dems go after Trump in a blitzkrieg. I truly think Trump would have an epic meltdown again a lot it being his doing . I almost feel sorry for Republicans.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's just baffling with Trump regarding the judge. He should be making hay while the sun is shining and the Democrats are still split.

Instead he's making himself look like a bigoted buffoon and drawing all the more attention to the case itself. For somebody called so media savvy he seems unable to understand that he just needs to change the conversation and the media will drop it. But he keeps going on about it. Playing along with hypotheticals about other ethnic judges he would not trust is just bizarre.

And the judge doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly extreme. It feels like Trump holds him personally responsible there's even a case in the first place.

This particular judge also apparently had to go into hiding for a year a while back because he pissed off some of the cartels on a drug trafficking case.

This judge is literally sticking his neck out for the integrity of the american justice system and trump is questioning his loyalty.

Trump is the scum of humanity.

That's all the Clinton campaign needs to do . Not trying to change the mind of hardcore Republicans , but shame Donald so much that they possibly can't vote for him.

Poligaf on point again, many people were saying how easy it would to beat Trump or that Trump would do too many divisive things. It is quite amazing on how bad Trump is doing his campaign. Like some of his strategies, problems, and his way of running his own campaign is literally self-inflicted wounds that he could have easily handled better or just not do it. He might just go down as the worst notable presidential nominee in history; if he doesn't win he might ruin his own career for the rest of his life.

Once Bill, Hillary, Joe, Obama, the DNC, and the rest of the Dems go after Trump in a blitzkrieg. I truly think Trump would have an epic meltdown again a lot it being his doing . I almost feel sorry for Republicans.

I have a feeling the GE is just going to be a replay of GS Warriors vs Cleveland Cavs NBA Finals.

Makes sense if you consider the shitty Eastern Conference to be the Republican Primary. All Pretenders that a flawed team destroyed and is now playing at the big boy table and getting whacked by a more experienced and polished team.

I guess Bernie could be Portland but there is no OKC in the analogy.

There's a kid who got in trouble for wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat to school. He's in 3rd grade. He wears it because "Hillary and Bernie are going to get rid of all of our amendments."

Fuck....

Maxim726X

There's a kid who got in trouble for wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat to school. He's in 3rd grade. He wears it because "Hillary and Bernie are going to get rid of all of our amendments."

Fuck....

All of the amendments... Or the only one that matters?

#Freethesecondamendment.

I have a feeling the GE is just going to be a replay of GS Warriors vs Cleveland Cavs NBA Finals.

Makes sense if you consider the shitty Eastern Conference to be the Republican Primary. All Pretenders that a flawed team destroyed and is now playing at the big boy table and getting whacked by a more experienced and polished team.

so what you're saying is hillary is the
second
greatest team of all time

ampere

Honestly, the only best thing to me about Johnson possibly getting 5% is whether the Libertarian Party would actually accept matching funds
KuGsj.gif

That is a funny conundrum for them.

Gary Johnson would probably take it, for a Libertarian he's more reasonable. At least he supports driver's licenses lol

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Bernie as PDX is a close approximation. If SAS had gotten past OKC and then gotten beaten in a 6 game series by GSW, then Bernie could have been SAS. But yeah; I put money down on a 4-0 by GSW and that's probably what happens to Trump barring an epic screwup by Clinton

Fuck....

I'll admit, I don't like the idea of kids getting into trouble for wearing a major party candidate's hat to school. Personal distaste for Trump aside; I wouldn't want the same thing happening to a kid who supported the Democratic nominee.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I think Trump will at some point weather the current storm and close the gap a little, but I still think that there's a general trend (which Obama himself even talked about) towards worrying about underestimating the guy.

But honestly, he's been a public figure for 30 years and there's nothing that suggests he has any hidden depths. I've maintained for a long time that he's a fucking disaster of a candidate and that most people are overestimating his capabilities and that he's likely to implode on his own.

He's a clownish known-nothing whose rhetorical skills are highly overrated.

Crocodile

The Libertarian party is the only party that has two elected republican officials on it.

Libertarian will probably siphon equally from GOP and Dems; should work out for Clinton either way. If they have a legit shot at getting a 5% national vote - I might be tempted to vote for them (I vote in WA...so no worries about it tipping a state race) for president just so we can see at least a chance of a third party. Last time they got 1% so not too big of a worry yet.

But 10%? Holy crap. I want them to get to 15 so they can enter the debate!

It's your vote of course but I hate the "I live in X so I can do whatever I want with my vote" mentality. If enough people feel that way that shit actually starts mattering :(

I'm also not convinced the Libertarians getting to 5% nationally will do more to get the GOP to reform anymore than the GOP getting trashed by the Dems. You know we can't have 3 large, mainstream sustainable parties over the longterm.

When you've lost lyin Ted

CkS8A14WEAAeh5W.jpg

Trump never had Ted though. Ted has never endorsed Trump.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

What happens next week when the Cavs win 4 in a row? Does that mean DJT is the next LBJ?

All of the amendments... Or the only one that matters?

#Freethesecondamendment.

He mentioned the 1st and 2nd. Shockingly enough. But, I know the kid stans for the 27th.

What a coincidence.

Don't be shady, be a lady.

I'll admit, I don't like the idea of kids getting into trouble for wearing a major party candidate's hat to school. Personal distaste for Trump aside; I wouldn't want the same thing happening to a kid who supported the Democratic nominee.

Well, it wasn't just the hat. He was also telling kids in the playground that Trump was going to stop illegals from staying in the country. So...there was a bit more to it than that. However, I think if it's a distraction, it's fine for them to tell him he can't wear it. That's why I believe in uniforms, especially in elementary school. That's a whole other can of worms, though.

ampere

I can see the racism connection with Trump gear being a factor, but it's shitty because that kid probably has no idea what it means to wear that hat.

Democrats just want to play on a vanilla Constitution server

lmao

Dierce

Can we be certain that Johnson wont attract a large number of Sanders supporters since a lot of them are mostly against the 'establishment' and not necessarily for any of Sanders policies?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Of course. Who do you consider the 2001 Lakers, then?

You are so fired from all NBA discussions. HERESY.

It's your vote of course but I hate the "I live in X so I can do whatever I want with my vote" mentality. If enough people feel that way that shit actually starts mattering :(

I'm also not convinced the Libertarians getting to 5% nationally will do more to get the GOP to reform anymore than the GOP getting trashed by the Dems. You know we can't have 3 large, mainstream sustainable parties over the longterm.

Heh, when I moved to Seattle, I kept my voter registration as long as I could in Missouri just so my presidential vote mattered in 2008. :D

If Johnson was within like 10 points of either candidate - then I'd be hesitant to not vote Democrat for President - but barring some insane polling numbers in WA - I'd like to at least try to send a bit of a message of "hey, GOP, get your shit together" when it comes to social issues. (Even if I think the libertarian policies about government are batshit insane in many cases). You're right in that there are too many hard-coded laws, policies, rules, etc, that basically destroy the idea of a three party system - but if there was a chance to give the GOP a giant kick to the left when it comes to social policies (and help out a lot of people stuck in GOP held states...which is something like 30/50 states last I checked) - it's hard for it not to be somewhat alluring of an option.

royalan

How long until the Make America Great hat becomes a symbol of hate? This last week has turned that into an honest question.

Saw one in the wild for the first time the other day. Made me a little uncomfortable.

BanGy.nz

Banned

Fuck....
Bye bye 22nd amendment and hello 3rd, 4th and 5th term Obama.

Nah, Bernie's OKC. The glee I feel whenever either of them lose is equal.

OKC was up 8 with 6 minutes to go at home in a closeout game. Nothing like that from Bernie.

That's why he is PDX. Over matched but played hard, made things a bit interesting.

Toronto is Ted Cruz (sorry northern friends). Rubio was Boston (false promise), Jeb was Brooklyn (not as bad as Philly but more pathetic somehow) and jeb! was Atlanta (owned by Trump/Cavs). Rand was probably Philly.

tied for first.

I meant which President is the 2001 Lakers?

You are so fired from all NBA discussions. HERESY.

In your heart you know it to be true. Only the '96 Bulls have a case.

OKC was up 8 with 6 minutes to go at home in a closeout game. Nothing like that from Bernie.

I'm from Seattle and haven't seen an NBA game since 2007. As far as I'm concerned, Bernie is OK-fuckin'-C: Something that I used to love/support, but now can't fucking stand, and I revel in their losses.

Angry Grimace

How long until the Make America Great hat becomes a symbol of hate? This last week has turned that into an honest question.

Saw one in the wild for the first time the other day. Made me a little uncomfortable.

Make America Great Again hats are going to be ironic '10s kitsch in the '30s, sort of like wearing an Ayatollah Asshola shirt to a local brewpub while sporting a handlebar mustache.

Parshias7

Bernie Sanders is the Toronto Raptors, snagged a couple of games off of the heavy favorite, but ultimately never had a chance.

Kind of ruins the whole Republican Party is the Eastern Conference thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom