• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Only the AP went to the step of waiting until the day before the last few primaries to call a bunch of super delegates for a "survey" (which implies off the record conversations) and then use that to justify calling the race a day earlier than everybody had planned.

I honestly feel like this is the media trolling Hillary Clinton again. There's no new information in calling the race early. All it does is piss off literally everybody involved by screwing up the plan everybody knew was going to happen.

I don't think they would have been off-the-record or the AP couldn't count their endorsement to the total. This was a fuck-up by the superdelegates IMO. I don't think it will effect things much in the long run, thankfully. I'd just be pretty annoyed if I was Clinton; a few sharp phonecalls would be made.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Imperial Germany violated the FUCK out of Belgium's sovereignty. I don't really know how the hell Britain could have avoided getting involved in the war at that point.

I don't think Britain gave two shits about Belgium's sovereignty, to be entirely blunt, it was just a plausible justification. The main fear was that an unopposed Germany could build a naval fleet to rival the Royal Navy, which threatened Britain's Empire. Mind you, if we're trying to assign blame for unnecessariness in World War I, I think Tsarist Russia is actually more culpable than Germany. Serbia was not a strategic priority, that was just dick-waving. Even then, Russia was mobilizing before Serbia rejected Austria-Hungary's ultimatum; they wanted war. Replace Sergey Sazanov with someone else and I think you could have averted World War I, at least for some time. It's worth remembering Germany actually attempted to mediate the Serbian dispute peacefully for some time (the Beograd settlement) and we have reasonable evidence to suppose that was a good faith attempt.

Brinbe

i think I would've respected Linds more if he hadn't tepidly supported Trump in the first place. He doesn't get a takeback now.

studyguy

Jumped into the Wrestling OT and took a minute to figure out if it was actually the PoliGAF OT or not.

Anyway, primary day. I've voted by mail, so it's time to vote in person now. Gotta do my part for the F R A U D

Plumbob

I wouldn't be too worried about voter turnout in CA. All my roommates and I are voting, tons of mail in ballots, nobody seems to be reacting to the AP story.

Zornack

Wow Weaver is on CNN and he just said they should have waited until tonight to announce Hillary as the candidate.

It's over. If Weaver's balls have been cut off, it's over.

Now I'm more inclined to think there's a slight chance Trump bails on the whole election because he's being treated SO UNFAIRLY by his own party, the press, judges...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow Weaver is on CNN and he just said they should have waited until tonight to announce Hillary as the candidate.

It's over. If Weaver's balls have been cut off, it's over.

That's a dramatic shift...
No weasel speak adjoining it?

Man, Obama job approval is now up to +5. This is just fantastic. I'm letting myself feel really good about this election now.

Kinda wonder if election anticipation+Trump's implosion is playing a bigger role in this than I initially thought. Last month's jobs report was terrible, and that type of slowdown is usually felt by people well before the BLS confirms it. I would have expected Obama's numbers to be taking a hit now.

Zornack

I mean yeah he also talked about how Supers don't vote until July and that they'll make a case to get them to switch, but compared to how Weaver usually is this is basically him coming out with an endorsement for Hillary.

He also answered a question about Sanders dropping out by being very specific about there being a zero percent change of him dropping out tomorrow. So this'll take some time but it looks like they're resigned to it being over.

Or he's dropping out today, in which case what he said would still be true.

Plus he had no qualms with the idea of Obama stepping in.

benjipwns

Banned
Kinda wonder if election anticipation+Trump's implosion is playing a bigger role in this than I initially thought. Last month's jobs report was terrible, and that type of slowdown is usually felt by people well before the BLS confirms it. I would have expected Obama's numbers to be taking a hit now.
People are liking Obama as a person again now that the GOP has stopped his radical agenda and they know Trump is lined up to fix everything done wrong over the last eight years.

Obama is always judged more harshly in a vacuum because people compare him to the post-partisan, hope and change etc. cartoon unicorn version of him. When he has an actual opponent or alternative, his numbers go up. The same exact thing happened in the run-up to the 2012 election.

I think Hillary will get a similar "oh well I guess she's not THAT bad" bump, especially once Obama endorses her. I don't know if she'll ever break even but at least unifying the Democratic base should nudge her up to 45% or so. She's basically running as an incumbent who starts out hated by half of the country.

It's definitely election stuff. People, I think, are starting to look back on the last 8 years and realize things were pretty good, and Obama didn't really fuck anything up.

Zornack

Is it? I've never subbed and I check it every morning for my daily source of sodium and crazy

Hmm I could be wrong but I think I remember going to /r/s4p a few months ago and it being private with the same message about Clinton.

I've always gone straight to /r/SandersForPresident

We won't know for another couple of months but I think May's weakness is a combination of the Verizon strike and employers being too aggressive in hiring early in the year. Not a sign that the economy is slipping into recession. Weekly unemployment claims are still very low so companies aren't feeling pressure to lay people off.

Iolo

Worse yet, how many chicken nuggets will go to waste?

sb0V1FA.jpg

Maledict

The number of people on S4P who say they were okay with Hillary at the start of the campaign but now would never ever vote for her is truly mystifying. She's done literally nothing to justify that shift - she's treated him with respect and kid gloves, she's announced a clear and transparent left wing agenda, and he's pushed her to talk more about areas he considers important.

What *exactly* has changed, other than the fact she won? More and more the vocal minority of people on Reddit just come across as a cult.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Samantha bee shits on everyone. Her show says more with less time and is funnier (and she has better timing) than anyone on TV. Queen.

She called out Obama this episode.

That Gary Johnson interview is... weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom