• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

It's definitely election stuff. People, I think, are starting to look back on the last 8 years and realize things were pretty good, and Obama didn't really fuck anything up.

There are fair criticisms of Obama's foreign policy and domestic spying, but I realize I don't have all the information he does and he's not in an easy position.

So, not 100% happy with what he did, but I don't think I could do it better.

Iolo

So 8pm eastern for NJ results, about 1am for Cali?

If it's close, we won't know until halfway through Wednesday. It depends what is still out at what %. Early vote will favor Hillary by far, her margin will shrink as time goes on. (Mail-in ballots will be tallied immediately, don't get your hopes up when early counts are Hillary at 55%+.)

CkW0oDSWEAQz1G8.jpg

studyguy

Eh, no need to quibble over individual posters going every which way. It's like bickering over the Huelen vote, the majority is what matters. Not someone on GAF driveby shitposting.

Slayven

How do you go from Bernie to Trump? HOW HOW HOW

That's easy to answer, they are both not Hillary.
They never cared to begin with

If it's close, we won't know until halfway through Wednesday. It depends what is still out at what %. Early vote will favor Hillary by far, her margin will shrink as time goes on. (Mail-in ballots will be tallied immediately, don't get your hopes up when early counts are Hillary at 55%+.)

CkW0oDSWEAQz1G8.jpg

California results won't be out until midday tomorrow at the earliest. They have literally millions of absentee ballots to get through,

I hope Wolf gets a power nap in

Alcander

Just voted in CA. I live in the bay area, literally right next to google, and there were like 4 people there. Its still early but I was surprised it was so empty.

CkW0oDSWEAQz1G8.jpg

Buy Hillary YES now, sell Hillary YES when polls close and early counts are released, immediately buy Hillary NO, go to bed, sell Hillary NO in the morning, dump everything into Hillary YES, drive to work.

#predictit

Iolo

I don't remember what the reasoning was in that vote graph for 100% precincts reporting with 70% final vote tallied.

BiggNife

How do you go from Bernie to Trump? HOW HOW HOW

The argument I have heard is that "I'd rather take an unpredictable non-establishment candidate then another garbage establishment nominee who has always been awful"

Of course these people always ignore the elephant in the room, which is the empty supreme court spot

pigeon

Banned
I don't remember what the reasoning was in that vote graph for 100% precincts reporting with 70% final vote tallied.

California allows mail-in voting through the week after the election as long as your ballot is postmarked by the election date. It's probably that (although 30% post-election mail-in votes sounds unlikely).

Owzers

Trump may say racist things but there's a better chance of us getting our agenda passed with him than Hillary.

When people like Paul Ryan say this, do they not realize that it sounds like that reflects on their agenda too?

The argument I have heard is that "I'd rather take an unpredictable non-establishment candidate then another garbage establishment nominee who has always been awful"

Of course these people always ignore the elephant in the room, which is the empty supreme court spot

I firmly believe anyone that politically uninformed will not bother voting in the GE (just like they never voted before)

benjipwns

Banned
Right now it looks like there will be 18 black delegates at the GOP convention, or .7% of the total. I was trying to come up with a football team joke but really that's just sad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...are-going-to-be-at-the-republican-convention/
That's probably representative of the % of black GOP voters though.

The Dems quota system is kinda dumb nowdays considering how delegates are chosen and what they actually do at the conventions. It made way more sense back when they implemented it. Kinda like the 2/3rds rule.

Fuchsdh

I firmly believe anyone that politically uninformed will not bother voting in the GE (just like they never voted before)

Feel similar. A certain segment of people are pissed off at the process and that never convinced them to actually, you know, vote at any point previously.

These "You're the real racist!" comebacks from Trump's team makes no sense.

Paul Ryan: "Saying someone can't do their job because of their race is the textbook definition of racism."

Jeff Lord: "Paul Ryan accepts identity politics here, making him the real racist!"

.... I mean, I've seen a lot of bad "Real racist!" arguments before, but literally none of them have been as bad as this.

These "You're the real racist!" comebacks from Trump's team makes no sense.

Paul Ryan: "Saying someone can't do their job because of their race is the textbook definition of racism."

Jeff Lord: "Paul Ryan accepts identity politics here, making him the real racist!"

.... I mean, I've seen a lot of bad "Real racist!" arguments before, but literally none of them have been as bad as this.

I imagine a lot of Trump staffers are already getting the fuck out. They all know how crazy this is. It's amazing the GOP is going to tie themselves to this for the rest of their political careers. In any compeitive race from now on, the fact they supported Trump will come up.

benjipwns

Banned
Feel similar. A certain segment of people are pissed off at the process and that never convinced them to actually, you know, vote at any point previously.
For one thing, it's because the primary process is treated like an actual election, when it's not one. Obama losing in 2008 would have done the same thing. Much like how Gore's loss in 2000 suddenly resurrected the fact that the Electoral College exists and running up big margins in safe states doesn't mean shit.

Another failure of public schooling.

And one with a simple fix: eliminate the state.

Gilmore/benji 2020: Commit Violence By Proxy One Last Time

HylianTom

Banned
Joan Walsh tweets:
Jeff Weaver tells @mitchellreports "there will be unity events" involving both Democratic candidates, whoever is the nominee. A start

I hope this is where the rhetorical shift begins. But who knows? He could be breathing flames at the Establishment 10 minutes later.

kess

"Claiming a person can't do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment," Ryan said at a news conference. "I think that should be absolutely disavowed."

But, Ryan said that Republicans would still be better off with Trump in the White House than Hillary Clinton.

I think Ryan underestimates how important this is. People can (and will) forgive a candidate for a loony opinion on religion and/or economics, but coming out and saying "I KNOW this is racist, but..." sends the impression this racist speech is harmless, or somehow, a less important consideration compared to other issues.

This is an incredible black mark and step backwards for the party, as if Trump wasn't already a strike against it.

Zornack

Ryan has got to be furious that he endorsed Trump last week. Now he's forced to say he'd prefer a racist over a Democrat. That's insane.

Joan Walsh tweets:

I hope this is where the rhetorical shift begins. But who knows? He could be breathing flames at the Establishment 10 minutes later.
They've been flip-flopping so hard I'm sure he'll say something to the opposite effect five times between now and the polls closing tonight.

Btw I think Sanders will concede tonight. But I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Either way I think the "contested convention" crap will end pretty soon.

Clefargle

Anyone moving to trump from Bernie never really care about the issues in a he first place. They either value antiestablishment rhetoric more or they are a misogynist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom