• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, now people think the AP calling the race early had something to do with Bernie losing. I don't know why they care - you didn't believe it anyway!

LOL, I remember before the polls....many BernBros on my Facebook were like "AP is going to be like an awesome thing that Bernie needed, this can make Hillary voters complacent and will sit it out.....yeah!!!!!"

After polls, Fraaaauuuuuudddd!

They don't really care about the integrity of democracy, only about winning--whatever it takes.

Random Bernie Bro " Bernie will force a floor vote and win the nomination at a contested convention. Franklin D. Roosevelt did that in 1932, and launched the New Deal. Bernie will have enough support to win the nomination and the general election

see you in Philly"

Good luck with that/

Speaking of which, I posted on social media that I'm excited that we are having the first female Presidential nominee in history and someone just has to comment on it "she's not a good candidate. Voting third party." Someone else saying "it isn't over until July." Like.. let me be excited. I didn't post to have a discussion. I didn't post to have an argument. I just posted a celebration for having the first female Presidential nominee in history. Why is this such a bad thing to them? I don't do this to their posts when people talk about Bernie..

/endrant

Same thing happened to me. Someone said she's just an oligarch and that it was a sad day for America. Two others outright stated that she won because people don't vote with their intellect.

Another said wait till July

I said nothing in my post about Clinton just that it was a historic day.

So glad a 74 year old white man poisoned the well so much that now a women nominee for President is a tragedy and a sad day for America. Thanks Sanders

thebloo

Tinfoil hat plus a bit of wishful thinking.

Does anybody else think that Bernie wanted to concede initially? His speech seemed to be kinda going there until the Clinton boos. He tried to "swat" them away and then he looked really defeated and went to the stump speech. As I said, wishful thinking.

studyguy

Eh, the man is going to go to the convention.
Make his claims/demands, call for more influence then immediately concede regardless of the outcome claiming a moral victory just for limping to the convention. Diablosing is fun and all but I'd wager the truth will likely be much more dull than we imagine.

Iolo

Man, that big California loss, though irrelevant in terms of math, really fucked him right in his narrative and put the damaged Clinton concern stories to rest this morning.

Eh, the man is going to go to the convention.
Make his claims/demands, call for more influence then immediately concede regardless of the outcome claiming a moral victory just for limping to the convention. Diablosing is fun and all but I'd wager the truth will likely be much more dull than we imagine.

Bernie can absolutely do what he wants now. I am not worried anymore. He has lost a lot of credibility with the saner public out there. Anything past this week will just end up doing damage to himself, and I wouldn't be surprised if there will be more mutiny among his surrogates.

For 18-22 olds for whom this is their first real election I can kinds sorta understand the salt. They're young and naive and the vast majority have no clue how politics works besides what cherry-picked articles their friends on Facebook share.

But for the 30, 40, even FIFTY year olds posting this "ITS NOT OVER YET!" and "SUPERDELEGATES DON'T VOTE TILL JULY!" bullshit, what the fuck?

Seriously, just what the fuck? How the fuck are you this stupid and ignorant about the political process at this stage in your life?

I've done a number of statistical analysises in CA election results and they just don't make any sense. Yup, CA was yet another site of massive election fraud. I am now taking a hard line approach. Sanders needs to run third party. At a bare minimum, Hillary cannot be allowed to win the presidency. Her corruption and control of the MSM will guarantee that this country dies a quiet, unreported death. Can you imagine people questioning "President Hillary" and being called a sexist? Don't worry. It's coming if she wins. Hillary is quite literally, the most vile candidate in recent history. A Trump victory is a quick flame out. A Hillary victory is a nuclear explosion detonated underground - where we find out 8 years later the drinking water is no longer safe to drink.

Fu4m0dg.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So there's this interesting take from Ezra Klein at Vox about Hillary, that goes against what everyone, even her seem to agree on, that she's not a very talented politician.

It may not be impossible for a woman to win the presidency the way we are used to men doing it, but it is unlikely. The way a woman is likeliest to win will defy our expectations.

Perhaps that's why we don't appreciate Clinton's strengths as a candidate. She's winning a process that evolved to showcase stereotypically male traits using a stereotypically female strategy.

And it's working.

But another way to look at the primary is that Clinton employed a less masculine strategy to win. She won the Democratic primary by spending years slowly, assiduously, building relationships with the entire Democratic Party. She relied on a more traditionally female approach to leadership: creating coalitions, finding common ground, and winning over allies. Today, 523 governors and members of Congress have endorsed Clinton; 13 have endorsed Sanders.

This work is a grind — it's not big speeches, it doesn't come with wide applause, and it requires an emotional toughness most human beings can't summon.

But Clinton is arguably better at that than anyone in American politics today. In 2000, she won a Senate seat that meant serving amidst Republicans who had destroyed her health care bill and sought to impeach her husband. And she kept her head down, found common ground, and won them over.

"We have become, actually, good friends," said Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, who served as one of the Republican prosecutors during impeachment. "And that was a surprise to both of us." (It is perhaps not coincidental that Graham is one of the few elected Republicans now calling on his fellow Republicans to retract their endorsements of Donald Trump.)

And Clinton isn't just better — she's relentless. After losing to Barack Obama, she rebuilt those relationships, campaigning hard for him in the general, serving as his secretary of state, reaching out to longtime allies who had crushed her campaign by endorsing him over her. (This, by the way, is why I don't think you can dismiss Clinton's victory as reflections of her husband's success: She's won her own elections and secured a major appointment in a subsequent administration.)

Now Obama says that Clinton "had a tougher job throughout that primary than I did. She had to do everything that I had to do, except, like Ginger Rogers, backwards in heels." It's been clear since early in the primary that he is firmly in her corner, and his endorsement is believed to be imminent.

In this telling, in order to do something as hard as becoming the first female presidential nominee of a major political party, she had to do something extraordinarily difficult: She had to build a coalition, supported by a web of relationships, that dwarfed in both breadth and depth anything a non-incumbent had created before. It was a plan that played to her strengths, as opposed to her (entirely male) challengers' strengths. And she did it.

Hillary Clinton is a generationally talented politician — albeit across a different set of dimensions than men tend to be talented politicians.

When she lost in 2008, Clinton said that after her campaign, it would no longer be remarkable to see women win presidential primaries and nearly win their party's nomination. But no women did it in 2012, and she was the only woman to do it in 2016. It is still not easy, and it is still not unremarkable, for a woman to succeed in presidential politics. Clinton's victory is a remarkable achievement, and it shouldn't be dismissed.

I'm not sure I agree with all of it, it tends to gloss over the demographics of the race, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

I thought she said she wasn't a good campaigner, but even then watching her machine go to work and her making all the connections needed this primary I would say that's no longer true as well. She will never be campaign Obama, but her speech last night reminded me how awesome she can be

So there's this interesting take from Ezra Klein at Vox about Hillary, that goes against what everyone, even her seem to agree on, that she's not a very talented politician.

I'm not sure I agree with all of it, it tends to gloss over the demographics of the race, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Good article. People forgot that Hillary went toe-to-toe with arguably one of the greatest politicians in decades and only lost narrowly in 2008. She is a skilled politician, but I think she's just skilled primarily in ways that most people don't instantly and unanimously associated with being talented.

studyguy

As fun as a super charismatic leader might be, I just want shit to get done. Bams is great but the man was railroaded by a gridlocked congress. We'll have to see how Clinton manages now that the GOP will likely dig well beyond just their heels, shit's gotta be waist deep by now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So how many of HillaryGAF 08 cried last night?

My eyes watered a bit during the speech, but i'm less invested in the candidate than I am in making sure we don't lose what we have pushed for the last 8 years.

pigeon

Banned

I didn't cry, but my wife did. Her feelings on the subject are similar to Adam's mom, actually -- more than just agreeing with Hillary, she was personally angry with Bernie for trying to take this opportunity away from Hillary after everything she's fought through. There's a good amount of personal investment in this election, because it really is historic, and because a woman president will (hopefully) actually make a difference for America in terms of how we understand and approach the problems our country faces.

Most men I know are pretty dumb so I am definitely looking forward to having a woman president.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good article. People forgot that Hillary went toe-to-toe with arguably one of the greatest politicians in decades and only lost narrowly in 2008. She is a skilled politician, but I think she's just skilled primarily in ways that most people don't instantly and unanimously associated with being talented.

Which is pretty much what the article is getting at. You don't go 12 rounds with Obama without being a heavyweight yourself.

Zornack

I'm getting tired of the narrative that dropping out is hard and that we have to give the candidate some time. The Republicans had no issues dropping out when it became obvious that Trump would get a majority of delegates and affirming the pledge they signed to support the Republican nominee.

Either this is an issue with Bernie or maybe, considering Hillary's actions in '08, it's just an issue with Democrats.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That NYTimes piece from earlier, where Clinton says if she had the choice to go back in time and tell anyone what just happened she would chose her mom, was what got me to tear up a bit. Just that image at the end of the piece, of a grown up Hillary Clinton sitting on the train next to her mom as a kid while she rode to grandparents that didn't want her and an incredibly hard future, just got to me. It really made it hit home how important this is for so many people.

Lol. You know things are starting to turn around when Hillary headlines read "Hillary gets emotional" and not "Hillary appears to get emotional".

Hmm, I'm not sure she is fit to be President, when she turns into such a cry baby so fast.

Also, she's totally faking it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Congrats to Tyler on correctly calling 4 out of 6 winners last night, with as little as a 6-point miss in New Mexico! (Wrong winner though. Also the 34-point miss in SD.. and the 22-point miss in MT. And the 11-point miss in NJ.)
As time approaches infinity, Tyler approaches infalliability

Brinbe

What's going to the convention? Bernie's gonna get absolutely destroyed in DC and if he doesn't concede afterwards, he'll basically fall off the face of the Earth anyway. He will not get any meaningful media coverage (except to have journalists lambaste him for not accepting a sound and legit defeat), zero party support, and any reasonable supporter will be long gone by then.

So he'll be stuck preaching to his cadre of cultish supporters who will probably grow bored and move on to the next new hot trend by the time July rolls around.

Anyway, the only thing I'll truly hate on Bernie for is his inability to defend Clinton in the slightest and encouraging this ugly hostility and unnecessary distrust of process/party/policy. By implanting these stupid ideas in his young supporters, he's inherently destroying the idea how of you actually do enact significant change in this country, and potentially ruined the march of achieving a real progressive movement to suit his own ego. Now everybody and everything is an establishment shill or fraudulent if something doesn't go your way. It's so divisive and completely childish.

Who cares? Yall seem to be the salty ones with the 'fall in line' mentality. I majority of the Sanders supporters knows Hillary already won. I find it funny he/them just don't care and are still going regardless. It's at least commendable. His speech at the DNC is going to be interesting.

It's up to Hillary to win the GE and if she some how lost it, its probably the biggest failure of any candidate in history. After all, she was the most electable, right?

Crayons

Banned
Congratulations Hillary on such a historic moment.

I voted for Sanders in the NY democratic primary because I really liked what Sanders has been preaching. I hadn't ever seen myself going out there and knocking on doors, going to rally, and being politically active. At a time in my life where I was feeling especially down on my luck, he gave me a cause that I was passionate about and fighted for. I am really grateful that in my lifetime I was going out there and supporting a candidate who really felt like they were speaking directly to me.

At first, I was drinking the kool-aid how it was rigged against him, fraud, superdelegates etc. As the time went on and he didn't drop out and get behind Hillary for the general election, he basically threw the monopoly board off the table and my view of him really started to sink. It's like he didnt care that what he was doing was trying to bring Hillary down with him. Eventually, I stopped telling people I supported Sanders and stopped defending him because his campaign turned to a complete mess. I didn't want to back a sore loser.

Eight years ago I originally wanted to vote for Hillary. I thought she was a really inspiring woman and I wanted a woman as president of the US. When she dropped it, I was fullt behind Obama. I couldn't vote, though.

This November I will proudly vote for Hillary Clinton. She's not perfect. She needs to rethink some of her policies, like legalizing marijuana (no, not just because I like getting high but because it's just another way to put black men behind bars). I'd also really like single payer healthcare, but it doesn't seem like its plasuble at the moment. I viewed Obama fairly positively and I will be happy to see her continue Obama's legacy. One thing though, I don't care about the email thing. But why did she have her own email server in her house unprotected? As a techie guy, I just think it was really dumb. If I was a politician you'd bet I'd make sure I was doing everything by the book because my life is so public.

Nevertheless,

#ImWitHer

someone pls respond :(

Zornack

Who cares? Yall seem to be the salty ones with the 'fall in line' mentality. I majority of the Sanders supporters knows Hillary already won. I find it funny he/them just don't care and are still going regardless. It's at least commendable. His speech at the DNC is going to be interesting.

It's up to Hillary to win the GE and if she some how lost it, its probably the biggest failure of any candidate in history. After all, she was the most electable, right?

Must be nice to be in a situation where the potential loss of others' rights and livelihoods is a fun sketch to watch.

I was going to quote your hashtag and reply "Yay!" but then I didn't.

Hindl

There is exactly zero chance Clinton won California by 13 points. Zero. I warned you this was coming when the exit polls were canceled, then MSNBC said a week early they would call it after NJ, and ‪#‎HillBought‬ announced her victory.

This is why exit polls were cancelled. That result is outrageous.

Hang on, people, the extent of the fraud is now beyond what any thinking person can accept.

There are people doing exit polls. It will be very interesting to see what they have to say.

See you in a 3-way race in November. Thanks for guaranteeing it today, you corrupt, disgusting, plutocratic traitors.

You just guaranteed change.

Another FB gem

Paskil

Watching the people in the primaries, it was interesting seeing them gradually come to the realization that Sanders was a shitty candidate. Dude had an amazing populist message, so long as you didn't delve any deeper than the surface, or just bought into his message. I had my first qualms about him early on when foreign policy was the topic in the debates. He was also so quick to pivot back to his stump speech rather than give any type of substantive answer to a question. People waved that away just saying he was introducing himself to the country and getting his message out there.

I knew.

It's almost like people were in some type of coma and woke up several months later and have no recollection of the events. I've seen some very confused individuals wondering how or why they bought into Sanders' message so completely. It is all almost cult like in its effectiveness.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I did my best. It was a group interview and I think the other people were more qualified than I was. But I gave it a shot. Thanks for asking

They do group interviews?
ugh

Show me how Sanders is hurting Hillary.

By attacking the party he is part of and making his remaining cult following think that the DNC and Democrats are the problem.
It might be a way to get rabid brainwashed supporters, but it's a great way to turn people off from politics once you (in this case, inevitably) lose.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I did my best. It was a group interview and I think the other people were more qualified than I was. But I gave it a shot. Thanks for asking

What are you going out for? Just because someone's more qualified doesn't mean they're going to be a better fit. Given it's a group interview they likely wanted to see how you performed in a social setting, which means that was likely an important factor.

Man, that big California loss, though irrelevant in terms of math, really fucked him right in his narrative and put the damaged Clinton concern stories to rest this morning.

As irrelevant as it is in the long run, this is why I wanted Hillary to get a big win in California. I didn't want Bernie to be able to claim momentum.

Let he who is without salt toss the first shaker

Zornack

Show me how Sanders is hurting Hillary.

Do you think refusing to stop your supporters from booing the Democratic nominee and refusing to drop out once your competitor clinches is helpful?

You said you think it's funny that he won't drop out. Either you somehow believe his current actions are beneficial to Hillary or you think that increasing the chances of a Trump presidency is a fun time.

Crayons

Banned
Watching the people in the primaries, it was interesting seeing them gradually come to the realization that Sanders was a shitty candidate. Dude had an amazing populist message, so long as you didn't delve any deeper than the surface, or just bought into his message. I had my first qualms about him early on when foreign policy was the topic in the debates. He was also so quick to pivot back to his stump speech rather than give any type of substantive answer to a question. People waved that away just saying he was introducing himself to the country and getting his message out there.

I knew.

It's almost like people were in some type of coma and woke up several months later and have no recollection of the events. I've seen some very confused individuals wondering how or why they bought into Sanders' message so completely. It is all almost cult like in its effectiveness.

You're absolutely right. That described my situation perfectly. II thought that he was a very intelligent man and the reason he kept pivoting back to "the one percent" and all that stuff, was to get his message out there. But eventually I came to the realization that that was really all he had to say. In the end, I felt tricked. And I didn't want to admit that I'd been tricked all along and that's why I was so reluctant to get behind Hillary 100%.. It's like a cult. I felt played. And still do

What are you going out for? Just because someone's more qualified doesn't mean they're going to be a better fit. Given it's a group interview they likely wanted to see how you performed in a social setting, which means that was likely an important factor.

It was for a non-profit. And I'm not too good about being social. Oh well...

Paskil

Final results For CA were 55.8% and 43.2%.

She netted like 69 I think.

California is so far south, it borders Mexico.

It was for a non-profit. And I'm not too good about being social. Oh well...

Bummer, hang in there. :(

Do you have particular qualifications? Like do you have a degree or particular field of expertise? One of my coworkers recently resigned because as a lawyer, she needs experience in healthcare rather than just being a policy analyst for food stamps. She was applying for jobs and even getting second interviews, but just wasn't nailing them shut. Many of her friends and the other candidates were all more seasoned. She went to work as an analyst for an insurer and is still closely working with the state mainly for healthcare compliance issues, but two years or so there will go a long way towards making her more marketable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Welcome aboard. I was behind Hillary in 2008 and I was crushed when she lost. I happily voted Obama and he has been a generationally consequential president.

Obama being so amazin in 2008 deminished Hillary in my eyes. I didn't realize just how amazing he was and what he brought that she didn't have. I get that now. That Hillary was able to hang in there is pretty impressive.

I'm saddened she is sort of scandalous (literally) because I want everyone to share the joy in her femininity that I do. But I also realize she's made some really genuinely selfish and terrible choices and will have to live with those choices (and I don't mean like super predator stuff). I hope for her sake and for mine she can move past this last one and be elected and make this country better for everyone.

Last night was amazing. I was so proud of this country but mostly of the Democratic Party. It's not perfect but it has given us fdr, jfk, Bill, Obama, and hopefully queen within 100 years. The republicans are a sack of shit and they must be shamed and dismantled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom