• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

What are the odds of Bernie becoming Jill Stein's running mate? Never gave it much thought but I'll admit I'm a little concerned after seeing some facebook posts from people mentioning it.

Wouldn't that hurt Hillary?

He has more influence continuing to be allied with Democrats than demoting himself down to the Green/Lib tier.

It'd be like George Clooney taking a public access cable show in western Montana as his new job.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think the interrelationship and overlap between systematic oppression of different groups necessarily dictates that specific groups don't have their own distinct burdens. But I could be wrong.

Of course they have their own distinct burdens. That is the point, they are distinct and not necessarily comparable on a scale.

wUV9fSw.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They missed the part when Lord admitted it would be racist for Van to request the dismissal of a white judge due to racial tensions then immediately reaffirmed that what Trump said wasn't racist.

I don't know how Lord does what he does.
Lord works in mysterious ways.

Yes Trump, that rare homio-sapien subset that originated from what we know now as Spain and migrated to South America is indeed outside her natural habitat.

Don't point or shout, it startles them

johnsmith

remember me
“Politicians are so politically correct anymore, they can’t breathe,”Mr. Trump said in an interview Tuesday afternoon as fellow Republicans forcefully protested his ethnically charged criticism of a federal judge overseeing a lawsuit against the defunct Trump University.

“The people are tired of this political correctness when things are said that are totally fine,” he said during an interlude in a day of exceptional stress in the Trump campaign. “It is out of control. It is gridlock with their mouths.”

You tell 'em, Mr Trump! Don't let them silence you!

The only sad thing about Bernie not becoming President, is that we'll never get to see him passing legislation that looks a lot more like what Clinton is proposing than what his current platform promises to do. That would have been a pretty great thing to see play out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The only sad thing about Bernie not becoming President, is that we'll never get to see him passing legislation that looks a lot more like what Clinton is proposing than what his current platform promises to do. That would have been a pretty great thing to see play out.

Based on what we know now, you make a big assumption he would get any legislation through at all.

Of course they have their own distinct burdens. That is the point, they are distinct and not necessarily comparable on a scale.

Sure, the comparison is ultimately fruitless and only serves to stoke racial or gender animus, but on the other hand, I really like comparing stuff.

Also, making Cracked-style lists.

I wish people could understand that politics is way more like Veep than House of Cards. It's a bunch of human people, many of who aren't best equipped or totally prepared for office, doing what they can to bring about the change they want to see while still being susceptible to hubris, political ambition and vanity. It isn't a bunch of sociopathic masterminds interested only in gaining power and wealth with devious plots laid out well in advance who murder or frame their critics and opponents to get them out of the way.

You'd be amazed at how many of my friends that support Sanders think it's like that latter. Or sadly unsurprised.

royalan

They missed the part when Lord admitted it would be racist for Van to request the dismissal of a white judge due to racial tensions then immediately reaffirmed that what Trump said wasn't racist.

I don't know how Lord does what he does.

I don't know why they continue to have Lord on, to be honest. Having him in a panel goes beyond providing fair and contradictory view points. Van said it best in this exchange, there's just no way to logically follow Lord's points. He's purely there to antagonize in a way that even CNN should be above providing a platform for. I mean, when Gloria is jumping in on the pile on (she usually stays quiet during these confrontations) then you know it's gone a bit far.

Even Kayleigh McEnany, as diehard a Trump supporter as she is, tries to make some sense in her arguments and will even occasionally admit when Trump is going too far.

itschris

At least Trump isn't a war criminal. Way to sell out Warren.

Elizabeth you fucked up. You have to admit, with your WISDOM, Elizabeth, that Trump would actually be less dangerous than Hillary. You will never be forgiven. Thank you for your efforts so far, however. Truly will respect you for those times forever.

You are a nasty traitorous sellout. Shame on you. You have lost the respect of millions. You and Clinton have had this planned from the start. Shame on you.

I knew she'd sell out. She held her endorsement for Sanders this whole time just hoping to forward her career. You know the drill people, vote her out. No room for another establishment opportunist, which is exactly what Warren is.

YOU are the one helping Trump win the White House. It will be all on the DNC not the #bernieorbust movement.

Well, there goes my respect and support for you, Ms. Warren. I wonder if you were ever truly supportive of Sanders, or if you were just playing the field. Either way, what a shame, I really liked you. #ByeFelicia

Some more salt from Warren's Facebook page. Though it's not all bad - I'd say about half the comments were positive.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My actual, genuine hope is that a lot of the people who are still in "there's nobody like him, he's the only genuine and uncorrupt candidate to ever win" mode with Sanders actually do come to realize how ultimately flawed he was, and how flawed his platform was in its simplicity and reduction.

I hope Kamala ends up introducing or having a huge part in a hypothetical criminal justice reform act that happens in the senate. It'd be great for her legacy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well, he is a white male compared to a black guy and a woman. Odds are good they wouldn't obsruct on everything. He's a good ol' boy.

He is an abrasive social democrat who seems to have problems with compromise. Not sure he'd have an easier time.

itschris

New York Times: As Democrats Nudge Bernie Sanders, G.O.P. Tries to Rein In Donald Trump

For Democrats impatient to rally around Hillary Clinton as their presumptive nominee, Mr. Sanders has lingered as an obstacle so stubborn and frustrating that only President Obama’s intervention might dislodge him soon.

Mr. Obama is expected to meet with Mr. Sanders in Washington on Thursday and increase the pressure on the irascible Vermonter to defer to Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Obama, White House aides said, intends to nudge Mr. Sanders toward embracing her, stressing that Mr. Sanders can further his policy agenda while unifying the party to defeat Mr. Trump in November.

The White House strategy will culminate with the president’s formal endorsement of Mrs. Clinton in the coming days, followed by an appearance with her on the campaign trail soon after.

But leaders in both parties are approaching Mr. Sanders and Mr. Trump gingerly, fearful that strong-arm tactics might foster resentment.

Each man is essentially being asked to shed part of his core political persona in the interest of party unity. For Mr. Sanders to step away from the roaring crowd, or for Mr. Trump to back away from a televised brawl, would represent a wrenching departure from form.

After reading that Politico article, I'd also be afraid that being too forceful would just make Sanders dig in.

EDIT: Also, from a related article:

To that end, the president will delay any endorsement of Mrs. Clinton until after the meeting with Mr. Sanders. And a joint appearance is unlikely until after the Democratic primary in the District of Columbia on Tuesday. Mr. Obama will not pressure Mr. Sanders to make a concession before that contest, the final one in the long primary season, advisers said.

ampere

I wish people could understand that politics is way more like Veep than House of Cards. It's a bunch of human people, many of who aren't best equipped or totally prepared for office, doing what they can to bring about the change they want to see while still being susceptible to hubris, political ambition and vanity. It isn't a bunch of sociopathic masterminds interested only in gaining power and wealth with devious plots laid out well in advance who murder or frame their critics and opponents to get them out of the way.

You'd be amazed at how many of my friends that support Sanders think it's like that latter. Or sadly unsurprised.

People are obsessed with the "drama" of House of Cards, but I generally can't stand stuff like that. Veep is so much more believable with all the stupid shit Selina does. I can just imagine being a Joe Biden staffer :p

I hope Kamala ends up introducing or having a huge part in a hypothetical criminal justice reform act that happens in the senate. It'd be great for her legacy.

That would be a powerful legacy to help her potential future presidential run, also it'd be good for society

danm999

Who cares what Bernie does honestly. The more negative he's gotten the worse he's done. Let him run the DC primary, get absolutely shellacked. And as the media and his superdelegates turn away from him even his leverage at the convention will wane the longer he stays on.

NeoXChaos

Sanders whole campagn was a bunch of expectation games and the media ate it up. If we win x. y will happen and moving goal post when y didnt happen.

"we are gonna win IA, NH NV and SC in a row". Loses SC and NV. "We hope to do well Super Tuesday" Gets crushed on Super Tuesday. "We can win Michigan" Wins Michigan but math does not change. "We are gonna win OH, PA etc." Loses all 5 and OH is a 14 pt wipe out. "New York is gonna be ours. Narrative will change when we win it. Berniementum" Loses New York in a landslide. "Maymentum" Delegate math is math. "California it is then" Loses California.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hugh Hewitt recommends RNC changes rules to steal nomination from Trump.

They had 3 options.

1.) Moderate their position and piss off the dying base and hope they still show up. Do this via urging a good mid ground candidate and forcing others out to consolidate votes.
2.) Moderate their position and piss off the dying base, do this at the RNC and REALLY piss off everybody.
3.) Don't moderate their position, but let it all go to shit and burn it all down. Recreate something from the remaining contents of the dumpster.

It's too late for 2. The problem with 3 is there is no good way to survive being in a dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom