• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you agree that the second amendment is pointless and should be repealed since it serves no purpose then.

And concurrently are saying that any and all government restriction on possessions be it a gun or a toaster or chemical weapons are unconstitutional. (I'm assuming this is your position is benji so there is no need to answer.)

benjipwns

Banned
The state exists, like any corporation, it's just its claims are illegitimate.

I thought I sent you all flash cards for this.

Valhelm

contribute something
The horrible thing about the second amendment is that it was designed to augment state power, rather than give the public their own leverage. It was passed in the wake of Shays' rebellion, a popular uprising of poor farmers against the interests of capital. Because the US didn't have a standing army back then, groups of loyal working class people were used to maintain social order.

These militias were so much worse in the South, because a "well-regulated militia" meant slave patrols. Poor whites served poor whites by enforcing slavery, because even if their children were barefoot they'd be damned before a black person could be called their equal.

benjipwns

Banned
I agree that the Shay's Rebellion often gets overlooked in the history of the Constitution. (For example it played a huge role in killing off the Triumvirate Executive.)

But the 2nd Amendment was passed four years later. Well after the Constitution and the US government itself came into being. And the language used predates both Shay's Rebellion and The Revolutionary War. By decades.

I'd argue the Rebellion probably had a bigger impact on the Militia Acts than the 2nd. Specifically the power for the President to overrule the state governments to enlist their militias for the federal governments purposes. As used shortly thereafter for the Whiskey Rebellion.

Just saw Joaquin Castro at the sit in. He said like 4 words.

He has now officially contributed more to this cycle and the democratic party than his brother

johnsmith

remember me
Shocking news, Donald Rumsfeld still a horrible person with horrible judgment.

Donald Rumsfeld, George W. Bush’s first defense secretary, said he “can’t imagine” not voting for Donald Trump in November.
Rumsfeld, speaking to Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren on Wednesday night, said he is “clearly” going to vote for Trump before going on to list reasons for which he couldn’t vote for Hillary Clinton.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/donald-rumsfeld-donald-trump-224698#ixzz4CNpLIo2r

Valhelm

contribute something
Benji - the second amendment exists for the establishment of militias. "Keep and bear arms" is used synonymously with "a well regulated Militia". I find it interesting that this militia is not described to exist for the protection of citizens, but instead "the security of a free State."

benjipwns

Banned
The prefatory clause has nothing to do with the objective clause. You can strike it and it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. You can't strike the latter because then it's just a piece of good advice.

olympia

Just saw Joaquin Castro at the sit in. He said like 4 words.

He has now officially contributed more to this cycle and the democratic party than his brother

were they "no bill, no break"?

the house leadership is prohibiting the use of recording or photography devices in the house chamber, democrats are periscoping anyway

the house is adjourned

democrats aren't going home any time soon

pigeon

Banned
Problem is that we sort of know that it isn't gun ownership in of itself that is the issue. 22% of Canadians own guns, 32% of Americans own guns as of 2014 IIRC. Gun death rates aren't the same.

Not necessarily a great comparison. Americans own way more guns per capita even if fewer Americans own guns. I feel like this is cherry-picking statistics.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That reminds me, Rumsfeld is supposedly a name on Trump's VP list.
That would certainly negate Trump's alleged (read: false) opposition to the war in Iraq and any attempt at pretending that makes him smarter than Hillary Clinton.

benjipwns

Banned
He's also 83 so part of me suspects it was one of those "look we've got SERIOUS EXPERIENCED POLICY NAMES on this list" floaters.

John Bolton I think could fill the role yet be younger. He's super popular with Fox News. He's only a penny on that site.

Dems appear to be all over the place. Some want to stay on the floor, some want to come back tomorrow, and some appear ready to wait until July 5th to start back up again

Didn't know that the House is giving up on other (quite important!) business to escape this situation. At least Ryan looks like a loser through this. Yes, it's a political stunt, you dope, but it's one you could very easily remedy and snuff out in an instant were you not a coward.

Also, this is seriously not a winning election issue for Republicans. Not ever, but especially in an election year, and especially this election year. You'd think they would at least throw up some poison pill amendments and hold a circus vote to try to make Democrats look bad. They really were not prepared for this. Especially after the filibuster last week I'm surprised they had no contingencies for further civil disobedience.

Not necessarily a great comparison. Americans own way more guns per capita even if fewer Americans own guns. I feel like this is cherry-picking statistics.
Similarly, I don't really see the point of comparing homicide rates excluding gun homicides vs the rotw total homicide rate. As opposed to like for like gun homicide rates that are ridiculously higher in the US.

Is it that Americans just like killing each other?

CCS

Banned
The FRAUD contagion has spread to the UK, the Brexiteers are already starting to position to blame a defeat on rigged elections and altered ballots.

Guys that idiot that Sanders endorses out of spite for DWS thinks the Dems are going to oust DWS and put in... Sanders as chair

True, I am not running for DNC chair and certainly don't expect to be made chair. What should be done at the DNC? Ban corporate lobby donations to the DNC (Wasserman Schultz had reversed Pres. Obama's 2008 ban) and get rid of super delegates, many of whom are corporate lobbyists. Have the DNC work with all state parties to press them for universal registration and open primaries. And to ensure that the votes cast are the votes counted, real monitoring of the software of voting machines and tabulations. I have heard a rumor that some Democrats want to offer the DNC to Bernie Sanders if he does not get the Democratic nomination. Perhaps that would help unify the party, I don't know. Like many, I am still hoping Bernie will get the nomination at the convention next month.

https://m.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...d4guj1e?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Trump speech doesn't even have front page billing in the Times; the Clinton speech does. The only news about Trump is that he's going to Scotland. Lol. The House Democrats basically usurped the news cycle.

Excuse me, I mean Trump has found an effective way to attack Hillary Clinton by giving teleprompter assisted speeches about her record.

lololol i can't

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Judge of Fox News " If they have enough to investigate, they have enough to arrest"

tumblr_n423g5SVZO1tw1vhco1_500.gif

----

Republican, Sean Duffy on CNN "We want to give the president all the authority to defeat the threat, he didn't expand his authority, he shrunk his authority"

Holy shit these people

thebloo

get rid of super delegates, many of whom are corporate lobbyists

Who exactly is a lobbyist?

437 elected members (with 433 votes) from the Democratic National Committee (including the chairs and vice-chairs of each state's Democratic Party)
20 distinguished party leaders (DPL), consisting of current and former presidents, current and former vice-presidents, former congressional leaders, and former DNC chairs
193 Democratic members of the United States House of Representatives (including non-voting delegates from DC and territories)
47 Democratic members of the United States Senate (including Washington, DC shadow senators)
21 Democratic governors (including territorial governors and the Mayor of the District of Columbia).

The Trump speech doesn't even have front page billing in the Times; the Clinton speech does. The only news about Trump is that he's going to Scotland. Lol. The House Democrats basically usurped the news cycle.

Excuse me, I mean Trump has found an effective way to attack Hillary Clinton by giving teleprompter assisted speeches about her record.

lololol i can't

Ha ha ha. That thread is fun.

The FRAUD contagion has spread to the UK, the Brexiteers are already starting to position to blame a defeat on rigged elections and altered ballots.

As long as y'all stay, I don't care how much FRAUD there is. Hell, PM me a polling location, and I'll go vote a few times. My accent is well good, innit?

Don't fuck this up, please.

CCS

Banned
As long as y'all stay, I don't care how much FRAUD there is. Hell, PM me a polling location, and I'll go vote a few times. My accent is well good, innit?

Don't fuck this up, please.

I don't think we will, but it's going to be a long night because we don't get any decent exit polls.

I don't think we will, but it's going to be a long night because we don't get any decent exit polls.

That just underlines how FRAUDY the FRAUD is though! The exit polls for the last general had Tories doing much worse than they did. So obviously FRAUD FRAUD FRAUDY FRAUD.

Cameron is clearly a FRAUD wizard. So Remain FRAUD. You know?

If I just close my eyes and convince myself I'm not part of a fringe belief, I don't have to worry about my views being out of the mainstream. So... FRAUD.

That just underlines how FRAUDY the FRAUD is though! The exit polls for the last general had Tories doing much worse than they did. So obviously FRAUD FRAUD FRAUDY FRAUD.

Cameron is clearly a FRAUD wizard. So Remain FRAUD. You know?

If I just close my eyes and convince myself I'm not part of a fringe belief, I don't have to worry about my views being out of the mainstream. So... FRAUD.

And also FRAUD.

Ugh, I remember watching those results. I thought maybe there was a slight chance Milibrand's giant fucking block of stone would sway someone's mind and at least give us a hung Parliament. Then, I just got more and more depressed as the night went on. But then I got to laugh at the Lib Dems.

So confusing.

Why am I not surprised so many conservative pundits are pro leave?

I'm surprised so many *aren't*. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that Jeremy Clarkson was strongly pro remain.

Trump is going to Scotland? They hate him over there, hopefully something hilarious happens.

Stuff is already happening. Someone is flying a Mexican flag on the neighboring land to the golf course.

Why am I not surprised so many conservative pundits are pro leave?

Moar freedom brah!

I'm cautiously optomistic based off of the last set of polls I've seen today. Especially the YouGov one where 40% of people think that the UK would be worse off economically if they leave the EU. Only 23% think they'd be better off. I feel like undecideds are more swayed by the economic argument than anything.

Joe Scarborough just completely destroyed Congressman Cole from Oklahoma on MSNBC in relation to having a vote for gun control and the terror watch list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom