• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Perfect is the enemy of good, and to be perfectly frank, all gun laws are ultimately flawed in some way. Better to start actually passing something though, and maybe we cut into the stats. But if we keep this hunt for loopholes going, we'll never pass anything.

That's...that's not a damn loophole. That's literally going "anyone the government doesn't like can be banned from getting a gun". Next GOP president, no one associated with #BLM will be allowed to buy a gun. Label them as "potential terrorists" internally (since the list is secret and arbitrarily decided), and boom, no guns.

pigeon

Banned
Does this NOT point back to collusion/collaboration?

The last 'supposedly' leaked documents I posted spoke of how the DNC was using the media to muddy the waters around HRC ethics. Isn't it a bit curious that none of the mainstream media, with the exception of Fox (which will illicit an eye-roll, I completely understand), is reporting on these leaks, basically saying before Hillary was even a candidate, she was a front-runner? The Young Turks have spoken on it.

Uh, why? Anybody who was paying attention knew that Clinton's been preparing a run for office since 2012, if not earlier.

Hillary was the front-runner before the primary officially started because she spent the whole time talking to Democrats and Democratic interest groups to get their support. That's why nobody ran against her.

How is this collusion? Like, spell that out. It's not a relay race. Politics is about convincing people to vote for you. Despite Bernie Sanders's choices, you aren't required to start from zero in doing so. You are allowed to talk to people before you officially run.

I want you to be really explicit in answering this question: if, before I run for office, I talk to a lot of people who will vote in that election or influence others and determine that they like me and will support me, how is that collusion?

What about the California Elections? Why is it seeming more and more that any other candidate, let alone Bernie Sanders, never stood a chance?

I'm not going to watch a 40-minute video to understand your argument. Do you want to spell it out, or just let it go unheard?

This is making the rounds; it isn't just isolated to liberal news outlets, yet the DNC, Hillary's campaign, no one is speaking out to even denounce it. That doesn't scare the shit out of anyone else, even if she is your candidate of choice? Its almost like your vote doesn't count, and no one is denying it..

Or maybe it's almost like a dumb conspiracy theory that's ignorant of how elections work and people don't generally waste their time arguing with conspiracy theorists.

Kangi

Isn't it a bit curious that none of the mainstream media, with the exception of Fox (which will illicit an eye-roll, I completely understand), is reporting on these leaks, basically saying before Hillary was even a candidate, she was a front-runner?

Ignoring the California conspiracy nonsense, seriously... how is this "curious"? Yes, she was a front-runner before she even announced her candidacy. EVERYONE knew she was going to run. EVERYONE knew it was her election to lose. Hence, y'know, Republicans doing everything they could to try to stop it. Hello, Benghazi Committee.

It's pure silliness to pretend she wasn't expected to be the Democratic nominee. Just as it is to assume this means the DNC pulled the strings to make it happen; there's zero evidence of it, nothing that suggests it, and the actual votes show she didn't even remotely need anything like it.

itschris

I threw down the gauntlet last week and refused to see my dad because he was being ( dad or not) so dismissive and patriarchal. And he told me people would think I'm a crack pot for insisting the media is biased and that the election was stolen. Remember everyone gave me all those links? Later on or maybe the next day he told me about looking like a crackpot. You know, I would really hope anyone who had known me over forty years might give me the benefit of the doubt. No. He is too brainwashed.

So after he was being a jackass and would not back off I told him if he was voting for Clinton he could do it without me. He's made it clear for months that he felt after our " token" Bernie vote we should support the party and vote for that turd. And I made it clear that NFW. But did I go on his Facebook page in front of all his boomer friends and talk down to him? No. I tried to ignore it and hoped she would get indicted in time to avoid the general.

And so now it's Father's Day tomorrow and I'm letting my husband bring the children to see him but no way will I. I'm so unhappy that he would keep dismissing me, I'm a logical adult that always researches. I'm not taking the kids to visit this summer, either. My sister said he was 74 and I should cut him a break but he is heavily involved with social media and is probably dripping weak ass support the party talk all over. Screw that. He is doing damage and is beyond reason so I am using blackmail.

Anyone voting for Hillary is not welcome in my life because they are squandering my children's future on a lie. He can see the light or find somewhere else to go for Christmas.

pigeon

Banned
I threw down the gauntlet last week and refused to see my dad because he was being ( dad or not) so dismissive and patriarchal. And he told me people would think I'm a crack pot for insisting the media is biased and that the election was stolen. Remember everyone gave me all those links? Later on or maybe the next day he told me about looking like a crackpot. You know, I would really hope anyone who had known me over forty years might give me the benefit of the doubt. No. He is too brainwashed.

So after he was being a jackass and would not back off I told him if he was voting for Clinton he could do it without me. He's made it clear for months that he felt after our " token" Bernie vote we should support the party and vote for that turd. And I made it clear that NFW. But did I go on his Facebook page in front of all his boomer friends and talk down to him? No. I tried to ignore it and hoped she would get indicted in time to avoid the general.

And so now it's Father's Day tomorrow and I'm letting my husband bring the children to see him but no way will I. I'm so unhappy that he would keep dismissing me, I'm a logical adult that always researches. I'm not taking the kids to visit this summer, either. My sister said he was 74 and I should cut him a break but he is heavily involved with social media and is probably dripping weak ass support the party talk all over. Screw that. He is doing damage and is beyond reason so I am using blackmail.

Anyone voting for Hillary is not welcome in my life because they are squandering my children's future on a lie. He can see the light or find somewhere else to go for Christmas.

This is copypasta, right?

Does this NOT point back to collusion/collaboration?

The last 'supposedly' leaked documents I posted spoke of how the DNC was using the media to muddy the waters around HRC ethics. Isn't it a bit curious that none of the mainstream media, with the exception of Fox (which will illicit an eye-roll, I completely understand), is reporting on these leaks, basically saying before Hillary was even a candidate, she was a front-runner? The Young Turks have spoken on it.

What about the California Elections? Why is it seeming more and more that any other candidate, let alone Bernie Sanders, never stood a chance?

This is making the rounds; it isn't just isolated to liberal news outlets, yet the DNC, Hillary's campaign, no one is speaking out to even denounce it. That doesn't scare the shit out of anyone else, even if she is your candidate of choice? Its almost like your vote doesn't count, and no one is denying it.

Edit: Eh, I guess the Gun reform sit-in and Libertarian meeting or whatever are more important than something like this. Nothing to see here.

Hillary Clinton and the DNC didn't steal the primary so that's why the media is talking about actual news.

What the fuck.

I hate people. That poor man.

I think it's quite shocking that the DNC hasn't prepared response strategies for future President Y2Kev. There's clearly something going on here.

I don't know why no one is reporting on this. Except for CNN because it smells like farts.

That's...that's not a damn loophole. That's literally going "anyone the government doesn't like can be banned from getting a gun". Next GOP president, no one associated with #BLM will be allowed to buy a gun. Label them as "potential terrorists" internally (since the list is secret and arbitrarily decided), and boom, no guns.

Sure, that's certainly possible. Granted, I'm in favor of no one in BLM owning a gun (in addition to the rest of the populace!). You don't need or have any reason to own one that can't be satisfied by weapons kept at a police precinct. Your argument is "people might be denied firearms for arbitrary reasons"; my argument is that I simply don't care what comes after "firearms" in that sentence.

And I'd like anyone to name some gun reform. I'll poke some massive holes in all of them. And that doesn't stop me from wanting to pass it all. Hell, the biggest problem with every gun control solution is that virtually none of it (other than an outright ban) would have stopped most mass shootings. Background checks, waiting periods, none of it.

But it should still be passed! Because no one needs a damn murder tool.

benjipwns

Banned

bless your heart

This sounds hilariously like something Biden would probably do. He probably actually does this at important meetings with foreign dignitaries.
This article was amended on 18 June 2016 to reflect that Jill Biden did not tweet about Joe Biden running down the halls with a “rainbow flag tied on like a cape high-fiving everyone”.

olympia

Op4xEiY.jpg

lmbo

itschris

Don't let the biased MSM fool you, this isn't over. The counting in California isn't finished yet, and the superdelegates don't vote until the convention. And if the supers decline to vote on the first ballot, it goes to the second ballot and the pledged delegates will be free to vote for Martin. If you don't believe me, check out TheYoungIrelanders or this hour-long Youtube video for proof.

There's still a clear but narrow path to victory! #MartinOrBust #StillOMalley

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Sure, that's certainly possible. Granted, I'm in favor of no one in BLM owning a gun (in addition to the rest of the populace!). You don't need or have any reason to own one that can't be satisfied by weapons kept at a police precinct. Your argument is "people might be denied firearms for arbitrary reasons"; my argument is that I simply don't care what comes after "firearms" in that sentence.

And I'd like anyone to name some gun reform. I'll poke some massive holes in all of them. And that doesn't stop me from wanting to pass it all. Hell, the biggest problem with every gun control solution is that virtually none of it (other than an outright ban) would have stopped most mass shootings. Background checks, waiting periods, none of it.

But it should still be passed! Because no one needs a damn murder tool.

If you want to ban guns outright, then just say it. This gives every pro-gun advocate who believes that gun-control advocates are just looking for ways to slowly overturn the 2nd amendment and take their guns away legitimate confirmation.

Also, the police precinct aspect won't work for several million people, fwiw. They a) don't have one within an hour's drive or b) may not have one at all.

If you want to ban guns outright, then just say it. This gives every pro-gun advocate who believes that gun-control advocates are just looking for ways to slowly overturn the 2nd amendment and take their guns away legitimate confirmation.

Also, the police precinct aspect won't work for several million people, fwiw. They a) don't have one within an hour's drive or b) may not have one at all.

I did say it, but it'll never pass. Hence, perfect being the enemy of good.

And those people don't need guns. You're just diving into the same Rambo fantasy they have about it.

benjipwns

Banned
You don't need or have any reason to own one that can't be satisfied by weapons kept at a police precinct.
You want the police to have not only have their own taxpayer provided guns and military surplus but everyone elses private arms?!?

Kathryn Johnston is rolling in her grave.

I don't really get why this false dichotomy exists in the US between preserving the second amendment and outright banning all firearms.

The second amendment as interpreted today is stupid. It should be eliminated.

That doesn't suddenly ban the ownership of guns wholesale.

It would, however, remove the special snowflake status that these deadly dick waving toys have.

I can buy a gun in Australia if I for some bizarre reason felt that I wanted one.

This, though I would support some pretty high restrictions since a ban isn't feasible.

You want the police to have not only have their own taxpayer provided guns and military surplus but everyone elses private arms?!?

Sure, it's not like it matters. The main idiocy in the "guns prevent gov't tyranny" is that the US military could wipe out every militia in the country with a Blackhawk (or a fleet of drones). If this gov't wants to conquer you, they will. I don't have fears of massive conspiracies and whatnot, but if you do, then I'd suggest a coping mechanism of some kind (because coping with that knowledge is your only solution). No militia today is going to stop the US Coast Guard, let alone the Air Force.

Though I'd like to see police officers having their sidearms taken away, and replaced with weapons locked in the trunk of their cars. The presence of a gun increases aggression and violence; keep them out of sight.

edit: And as you'll note, Johnston's own weapon didn't prevent her murder at all.

Louie Gohmert just shouted "Radical Islam killed these people!" on the floor and is now fighting(?) with Corrine Brown. What if I want neither to win?

ctothej

I noticed that Chris Christie VP shares on PredictIt are only 9c... Isn't he one of the three legitimate contenders? Has something changed?

benjipwns

Banned
Sure, it's not like it matters. The main idiocy in the "guns prevent gov't tyranny" is that the US military could wipe out every militia in the country with a Blackhawk (or a fleet of drones). If this gov't wants to conquer you, they will. I don't have fears of massive conspiracies and whatnot, but if you do, then I'd suggest a coping mechanism of some kind (because coping with that knowledge is your only solution). No militia today is going to stop the US Coast Guard, let alone the Air Force.

Though I'd like to see police officers having their sidearms taken away, and replaced with weapons locked in the trunk of their cars. The presence of a gun increases aggression and violence; keep them out of sight.

edit: And as you'll note, Johnston's own weapon didn't prevent her murder at all.
Whooosh.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Effect

Tomorrow is going to be crazy and very likely ultra bad for republicans. Crazy but not surprising they're handling things like this.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
lmao at that fucking reddit copypasta

a 40-year old grown ass man is all NO YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP DAD over hillary

classic

Actually, if I'm reading that right, I think it's a grown ass woman.

I did say it, but it'll never pass. Hence, perfect being the enemy of good.

And those people don't need guns. You're just diving into the same Rambo fantasy they have about it.

...even the freaking Obamas have pointed out that "those people" need guns.

http://time.com/4172374/michelle-obama-gun-control-town-hall/

But please, continue to tell the Obamas about their Rambo Fantasies.

I don't really get why this false dichotomy exists in the US between preserving the second amendment and outright banning all firearms.

The second amendment as interpreted today is stupid. It should be eliminated.

That doesn't suddenly ban the ownership of guns wholesale.

It would, however, remove the special snowflake status that these deadly dick waving toys have.

I can buy a gun in Australia if I for some bizarre reason felt that I wanted one.

Because, as stated earlier in this thread, and through the multiple OT threads that pop up, there are a crap ton of people who want to remove the 2nd amendment purely as a prelude to banning guns.

I'd also like to point that all of these fantasies don't have any solution for the 200 million+ guns that are already out in circulation.

olympia

i put $5 today on trump dropping out of the race in a week. i have $5 left, any other shitty longshot bets you think i should blow the rest of my deposit on

Because, as stated earlier in this thread, and through the multiple OT threads that pop up, there are a crap ton of people who want to remove the 2nd amendment purely as a prelude to banning guns.
I'm not sure why you state your first paragraph as some sort of outrageous notion. If they want to, there shouldn't be an enshrinement in law that prevents such attempt. And people would be free to oppose said bans. Without being able to wrap themselves in special protection that denies even the most basic restrictions.

There is strangely no enshrinement that protects any "right" to own an ironing board or a deep fryer. Or any number of infinitely more useful, less deadly possessions.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm not sure why you state your first paragraph as some sort of outrageous notion. If they want to, there shouldn't be an enshrinement in law that prevents such attempt. And people would be free to oppose said bans. Without being able to wrap themselves in special protection that denies even the most basic restrictions.

There is strangely no enshrinement that protects any "right" to own an ironing board or a deep fryer. Or any number of infinitely more useful, less deadly possessions.
The cool thing is we don't even need the 2nd Amendment to protect the fundamental right since the government isn't granted any power to restrict them in the first place and we've got a backup plan enshrined that also takes care of your irony board and deep fryer:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Bing. Bang. Boom.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
To be totally honest with you Cybit, if I would really like to move towards a complete ban of firearms for private citizens, and even for cops.

I mean, I have no idea how it could be accomplished, but I'd love for that to be the end goal. The benefits of gun ownership just don't mean shit (IMHO) when you place it next to the bodies.

Problem is that we sort of know that it isn't gun ownership in of itself that is the issue. 22% of Canadians own guns, 32% of Americans own guns as of 2014 IIRC. Gun death rates aren't the same.

The problem is that the (very) current climate is around restriction and banning, rather than training, registration, waiting periods, universal background checks. Now I want to strangle the NRA for opposing those, and most gun owners are perfectly fine with those kinds of changes. (Worth mention; even if you removed all gun related homicides from our homicide rate, it would still be higher than the total homicide rate for most of the countries we compare ourselves to).

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/06/guns-and-states/
http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/10/guns-and-states-2-son-of-a-gun/

EDIT: Benji explains it better than I do.

olympia

Link or summary?

sorry i'm watching an xfinity stream....

still sallwell's periscope footage, but democrats are making opening statements because the house votes to adjourn and start new legislative day at 2:30 et

gerry connolly rep-virginia: "without life there is no liberty or pursuit of happiness"

garamendi is ripping the house a new asshole right now and calling them cowards

Valhelm

contribute something
I feel like a gun ban, without police reform, would do more harm than good. I'm all for reducing gun proliferation, but that would necessitate buyback programs for illegal firearms and bottom-up reorganization of our law enforcement.

Democratized and proportional local police chapters might be a good idea, but this could backfire in predominately white neighborhoods and promote segregation.

benjipwns

Banned
A link from another entry on that blog:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...the-mango-during-the-Cultural-Revolution.html
Wang Xiaoping, 70, a worker at the factory, recalled the fascination. "What is a 'mango'? Nobody knew. Few had even heard the word, let alone seen one," she said in a recording for the exhibition.

"Knowledgeable people said it was a fruit of extreme rarity, like Mushrooms of Immortality. It must be very delicious. Its appearance nobody could describe. To receive such a rare and exotic thing filled people with a surge of excitement."

"That day was indeed a festive one for the factory. People were wild with joy ... everyone held their wax model of the sacred fruit solemnly and reverently. Someone was even admonished by senior workers for not holding the fruit securely".

Plastic, wax and papier mache facsimile mangoes were sent out on special lorries to tour the provinces, while enamel mugs, washbasins and plates were decorated with mangoes. Fake mangoes in glass cases were handed out to thousands of workers in Beijing to display in their homes.

Mango-brand cigarettes were a bestseller, and huge baskets of mangoes were the central floats of the 1968 National Day parade.

One dentist in a small village, who dared to compare a touring mango to a sweet potato was put on trial for malicious slander and executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom