• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
Link doesn't work. But please don't let it be Kaine. Wtf.
He has no charisma, doesn't really do anything to balance the ticket either. He would be an incredibly poor choice. Plus we lose a Democratic Senator.

"Say people close to Clinton..." which could be anyone in DC. I'm sure they could find 2-3 people in DC that would say Kaine was the favorite. Also the article is on the front page of politico. The next paragraph goes on to describe how much Clinton has been praising Warren.

I'm not sure why people are freaking out about this. VP's aren't that big of a deal unless you pick Sarah Palin.

Edit: Minimizing impact on senate seats of course.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is why Politico is utter trash and I want it memorialized:

Even close allies in the Senate haven’t heard much about their deliberations in recent weeks — the refrain among aides is now “those who talk don’t know, and those who know don’t talk."

....but here we will write a bunch of trash from our sources (i.e. the senate cafeteria janitor) anyway.

Also why is no one writing about who Bernie will pick to be VP???

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You're terrible and your new avatar sucks

If you had said this in all caps with an F-bomb while staring at my avatar, it would have been like every single John Oliver routine.

Y2KEV said:
All you people who switched from Kaine are DUMBDUMBs and I will reign.

I thought the guy running this contest said we couldn't switch because it was too late.

Emarv

Who is even still in Bernie's corner? Can't pick Stein. Forma stabbed him in the back. His one senator is gone.

Now's where he either announces Susan Sarandon or Killer Mike as his running mate. Believe!

"Say people close to Clinton..." which could be anyone in DC. I'm sure they could find 2-3 people in DC that would say Kaine was the favorite. Also the article is on the front page of politico. The next paragraph goes on to describe how much Clinton has been praising Warren.

I'm not sure why people are freaking out about this. VP's aren't that big of a deal unless you pick Sarah Palin.

Edit: Minimizing impact on senate seats of course.

This, and none of the likely choices are disaster-level so who cares, really.

Warren brings enthusiasm and excitement but it's potentially downhill after that if that excitement becomes tempered by virtually anything.

Kaine doesn't bring any excitement but then has a low bar to pass to look perfectly acceptable or even a little bit interesting.

But they're all just marginal or temporary influences on the election.

kirblar

If you have Warren vetting appointees internally instead of criticizing externally, it makes for more annoying conversations, but they don't happen publicly.

Y2Kev

If you have Warren vetting appointees internally instead of criticizing externally, it makes for more annoying conversations, but they don't happen publicly.

I'm not sure I understand. As in Warren vetting potential choices? Wait as a VP? I dum pls use smaller words

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ZjD946a.gif

Farmboy

If Trump picks Gingrich (and I'm still betting he does), who cares what Hillary does? No way she could do worse than that. She might as well pick Raúl Castro.

Teggy

Trump took that NeoNazi propaganda from a NeoNazi forum so yeah, the people that gave him the benefit of the doubt were dumb as shit:

https://mic.com/articles/147711/don...-was-created-by-white-supremacists#.IpURpNdAK

I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

Lewandowski said on one of the shows this morning that this was PC run wild. Sorry, when your candidate has a history claiming he didn't know who David Duke was, and for frequently retweeting white supremacists, it's called a pattern.

Holmes

Obviously Gabriel "Does Clinton even need Warren?" Debenedetti would write a piece about Kaine being the favorite. He wants to say "I told you so" if Kaine gets picked but honestly that piece is just typical Politico speculation that they pass off as fact.

Y2Kev

https://youtu.be/BtNbMD96xgY

This is one my favorite new rules. This should be a Democrat's campaign speech. "Scoreboard bitches!"
I mean, it was. This was Bill clinton's 2012 dnc speech that got reviews as basically the best political speech of the cycle if not the decade or longer.

People that think clinton is a liability focus on the 24/7 Micromedia following him everywhere and not the actual stuff he does that people pay attention to.

I expect Politico to have articles quoting "sources" as saying a dozen different people are the frontrunner by the time the pick is announced.

HUD Secretary Julian Castro is in the driver's seat, according to those in Clinton's inner circle.

New Jersey Senator Cory Booker remains the odds on favorite, sources close to the Clinton camp said.

Those familiar with Clinton's thinking say she is intrigued by the possibility of an all-woman ticket, and has zeroed in on former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.

Citing a recent Rasmussen poll that has the former Secretary of State "shook af," a well-placed source is suggesting that Clinton is looking at professional golfer Tiger Woods as her best chance at countering Donald Trump's "winner" message.

Not saying Kaine won't be the pick, but I'm not putting much stock in Politico stories.

I tend to think he'd be a bad pick. His main virtue was supposed to be that he was a safe choice who would do no harm, but the recent gifts story really suggests that he'd be reinforcing her weaknesses. At the end of the day she should win regardless of who she picks, but I think she can do better than Kaine. I guess if she does pick him, at least I'll win the contest.

For what it's worth, Kaine is still the betting favorite on VP. I didn't really see or hear anyone talking about the expenses story other than what was in here, so I guess it's probably a non factor. Time shall tell.

Seems like the media has no more chickens to fuck regarding the e-mail story itself now that we are 99% sure nothing will happen so they have to concern troll Clinton and Lynch's meeting. This story has been too good for them to just let it die.

Holmes

This quote in the Politico article was interesting and even more revealing than "sources say Kaine is the favorite!!"
Clinton herself has specifically praised Warren behind closed doors, regaling a group of campaign fundraisers at a hotel in San Francisco on Wednesday with the story of their joint Cincinnati event, and repeating to the private audience her public proclamation that she loves how Warren rips into Trump. While Clinton and Warren never overlapped in the Senate, they’ve spoken over the course of the campaign and sat down to chat at Clinton’s hotel before the Ohio rally.

Praising someone behind closed doors, there must be a reason. Maybe to get them excited about Warren or ease them into her as the running mate.

For what it's worth, Kaine is still the betting favorite on VP. I didn't really see or hear anyone talking about the expenses story other than what was in here, so I guess it's probably a non factor. Time shall tell.

I think that's partly due to Warren getting all the attention the past few weeks. Kaine just doesn't get nearly the focus she does, regardless of the expenses story. If he were suddenly tapped for the VP pick, his profile boost would be swift.

I have no doubt that GOP researchers picked up on the Kaine gifts story, though, since he's still one of the leading contenders.

Hmm, I wonder what is more important:

-Donald Trump probably has hired Nazis to work on his teams because only Nazis would have been able to find that meme and then Trump spread Nazi propaganda.

-Bill Clinton talked to a person he knows.

ANYWAY, Poli GAF's favorite writer, Zaid Jilani had things to say in May which were also really stupid:

No he [Trump] does not encourage nazis or hate of jews, he does encourage things in other aspects of bigotry but this one no

Antisemitism is bad but it is never used in a campaign aspect in America because as a form of bigotry in US it has almost no clout

And putting it on par with what other groups in america face today is showing poor use of understanding of social dynamics in 2016 imo

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/728650054932828161

What's wrong with what he said?

If Jeb said: "Black people are no more responsible for the Black Panthers than white people are for various white power groups" do you think this would be received well or would be a reasonable thing to say?

What's wrong with what he said?

It seems to be using ISIS as an analogy for Israel. I understand the point he was trying to make, but as a politician it's on you to ensure your meaning isn't misconstrued. Just the same as when Bernie made that comment about Planned Parenthood being part of the establishment or whatever.

I know what both meant, but it's easily misconstrued, and as a politician you can't afford to be making statements that are easily misconstrued imho.

Chichikov

If Jeb said: "Black people are no more responsible for the Black Panthers than white people are for various white power groups" do you think this would be received well or would be a reasonable thing to say?
I don't think that comparing Netanyahu and his government to the Black Panthers is reasonable on any level.

Also, I'm not aware of a whole lot of people who think that all white people are supportive of white power groups, but there a ton of them of think that most Jewish people support the current government of Israel and that the majority Muslims support ISIS, so I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

It seems to be using ISIS as an analogy for Israel. I understand the point he was trying to make, but as a politician it's on you to ensure your meaning isn't misconstrued. Just the same as when Bernie made that comment about Planned Parenthood being part of the establishment or whatever.

I know what both meant, but it's easily misconstrued, and as a politician you can't afford to be making statements that are easily misconstrued imho.
His comment shows he's not really all that good of a politician, that's sad (at least to a commie like me) but not really surprising at this point.
But I kinda struggle to see how anyone would honestly think he's an antisemite.

I think this is once again a case of shouting antisemitism so we don't have to talk about Israel and how it holds millions of people without basic human rights.
It seems to be working.

royalan

I still think its Warren.

I don't know why Hillary would intentionally create headaches for herself by campaigning so hard with Warren otherwise.

Okay. Just wanted to get this off my chest.

I love all the alumnus/alumna of the Daily Show.

I love Samantha Bee. I love John Oliver. I love Larry Wilmore. And yes, I love Trevor Noah. They all have different takes. I appreciate that everyone has different taste, but it seems that people can't praise without slagging. I also want people to remember that it took a long time for Jon Stewart to get in his groove and become the political satirist that the left so loves.

Also, also, the Daily Show isn't just Trevor Noah. All the correspondents and writers are pulling their weight as well. In particular, Roy Wood Jr and Jordan Klepper are like an 80s buddy cop action flick of comedy. And I'm going to miss Jessica Williams, and when she pops up on her new show, it's gonna be dynamite.

thebloo

Clinton insiders don't spill to Politico. That's why they're still insiders. Like the most secretive politician in the world will let it slip out now.

I still think its Warren.

I don't know why Hillary would intentionally create headaches for herself by campaigning so hard with Warren otherwise.

I can think of a possible reason: To appease people that supported Bernie for his platform and ideals, since Bernie won't campaign with her.

Obviously those Sanders voters who are still on the train are the ones who completely bought into the Bernie Jesus cult of personality or who have decided Clinton is the antichrist and must be stopped at all costs are only going to be convinced that Warren is the antichrist...

but the large majority of Sanders supporters are moving to Clinton, as we know, and Warren I'm sure has helped ease them over, something Bernie should have done, but well... clearly isn't prepared to at least yet.

So that's a very valid reason to campaign with Warren right now.

His comment shows he's not really all that good of a politician, that's sad (at least to a commie like me) but not really surprising at this point.
But I kinda struggle to see how anyone would honestly think he's an antisemite.

I think this is once again a case of shouting antisemitism so we don't have to talk about Israel and how it holds millions of people without basic human rights.
It seems to be working.

Yes. Which is why you've got to be more careful in his shoes, because people are always looking to use tactics like this.

Admittedly, even Clinton has stumbled with her comment on the coal jobs and instead of talking about the issue she was forced to back track and clarify and damage control. She's much more guarded and careful usually, so such slip ups are rare for her fortunately.

royalan

I can think of a possible reason: To appease people that supported Bernie for his platform and ideals, since Bernie won't campaign with her.

Obviously those Sanders voters who are still on the train are the ones who completely bought into the Bernie Jesus cult of personality or who have decided Clinton is the antichrist and must be stopped at all costs are only going to be convinced that Warren is the antichrist...

but the large majority of Sanders supporters are moving to Clinton, as we know, and Warren I'm sure has helped ease them over, something Bernie should have done, but well... clearly isn't prepared to at least yet.

So that's a very valid reason to campaign with Warren right now.

But to this degree?

The only people Hillary needs Warren for convincing are Bernie's extreme supporters. A public rally would fix that. But she's campaigning with Warren behind the scenes now.

Wilsongt

Eh?

H. A. Goodman
H. A. Goodman – ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR

#Bernie2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5hiD5-33M … Hillary Clinton Was Likely Videotaped During Her 3 Hour FBI Interview, Making Indictments Inevitable
YouTube
YouTube

Hillary Clinton Was Likely Videotaped During Her 3 Hour FBI Intervi...

My name is H. A. Goodman and I’m an author, columnist, and journalist www.hagoodman.com Subscribe to Michael Trimm: https://www.youtube.com/user/maapt88 This...
View on web
4:14 AM - 3 Jul 2016
45 RETWEETS60 LIKES

Valhelm

contribute something
Trump took that NeoNazi propaganda from a NeoNazi forum so yeah, the people that gave him the benefit of the doubt were dumb as shit:

https://mic.com/articles/147711/don...-was-created-by-white-supremacists#.IpURpNdAK

Oh, that's much less bad than I expected. Some white nationalist intern found an image from an Neo Nazi site and tweeted it, probably assuming innocuous.

If Trump's campaign actually designed the image with a Star of David, they'd be much more culpable. You can't design that picture by accident.

Eh?

H. A. Goodman
H. A. Goodman – ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR

#Bernie2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5hiD5-33M … Hillary Clinton Was Likely Videotaped During Her 3 Hour FBI Interview, Making Indictments Inevitable
YouTube
YouTube

Hillary Clinton Was Likely Videotaped During Her 3 Hour FBI Intervi...

My name is H. A. Goodman and I’m an author, columnist, and journalist www.hagoodman.com Subscribe to Michael Trimm: https://www.youtube.com/user/maapt88 This...
View on web
4:14 AM - 3 Jul 2016
45 RETWEETS60 LIKES

I realized he was a maniac the first time I went to his website. It's bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom