• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ford pardoned Nixon!

Right. I wasn't trying to be misleading, it'd just take a lot to go over all the ways Ford was unpopular, most of which lead back to either watergate, the economy, or vietnam. It is sort of suprising how good his approval rating was. Eventually beating Reagan in the primary was a pretty big win all things considered.

But I do not know why Clinton was so easily hurt by conspiracy theories. I was too young to experience first hand, and the history books don't seem to line up with public opinion that well. The timing of the approval dips with the scandals line up super well, but how far the dip drops, and the baseline when there isn't a scandal just seems abnormally low.

The only thing that can stop any regression at this point is a solid blue country on all levels. The GOP is pretty clear that they will do anything in the power to achieve their goals.

Joe

WaPo Sunday feature snippet
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.c546a202d200
Across Washington, Trump’s allies have been buzzing about the staff’s competence as well as the president’s state of mind. One GOP figure close to the White House mused privately about whether Trump was “in the grip of some kind of paranoid delusion.”

It's better than nothing but I can't believe this is the extent of GOP concern they're willing to go public with. History won't be kind to them but they don't care about that anyway.

only works if people realize getting amendments into the Constitution means wining state legislatures and governor mansions and appointing young judges

Constitutional amendments aren't subject to judicial review, actually; they become part of the body of reference. So that's one piece of the puzzle we won't have to worry about at least.

Right. I wasn't trying to be misleading, it'd just take a lot to go over all the ways Ford was unpopular, most of which lead back to either watergate, the economy, or vietnam. It is sort of suprising how good his approval rating was. Eventually beating Reagan in the primary was a pretty big win all things considered.

But I do not know why Clinton was so easily hurt by conspiracy theories. I was too young to experience first hand, and the history books don't seem to line up with public opinion that well.
Clinton might have been in a similar position as Trump - remember he only won with 43% of the vote, he hardly had a mandate. There was still some goodwill approval at the beginning of his term but that quickly dissipates.

It's more of an indictment of Trump that he didn't get a similar bump, mainly because everyone knows he's still an offensive shit-for-brains.

FyreWulff

Constitutional amendments aren't subject to judicial review, actually; they become part of the body of reference. So that's one piece of the puzzle we won't have to worry about at least.

true but in general judges all up and down the system collectively steer the country gently one direction or another. Republicans appoint young because they know this. It builds the "ambient" political enviroment in their favor for decades. You can't depend on random Bush appointees siding with Dems for much longer.

true but in general judges all up and down the system collectively steer the country gently one direction or another. Republicans appoint young because they know this. It builds the "ambient" political enviroment in their favor for decades. You can't depend on random Bush appointees siding with Dems for much longer.

Oh for sure.

We need to start playing smarter. Until we can get the kind of ironclad provisions we'll need to be sure that Republicans can never go to the insane lengths they have again, we can't ignore opportunities for power in the name of "good governing" or god forbid bipartisanship.

broz0rs

C_wZgzUVwAAu1jB.jpg

lol I thought there would be nothing interesting in politics tonight, but check out the PR that WH released.

It seems we might have to defend Mother Russia in the near future.

EDIT: it reads like an onion article, so here's the link for clarification
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/863593282990985216
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/863586726039740416

Nelo Ice

Banned
Oh for sure.

We need to start playing smarter. Until we can get the kind of ironclad provisions we'll need to be sure that Republicans can never go to the insane lengths they have again, we can't ignore opportunities for power in the name of "good governing" or god forbid bipartisanship.
Yeah if or when Dems get a D/D/D setup then they need to go scorched earth and ram through everything and appoint young liberal af judges.

Oh for sure.

This is what this country needs right here. Something that nobody can go after, but supports. This is what the man said in the Tom MacArthur's townhall. If the one member of the GOP is willing to bring up a dead bill with unpopular support then we can expect it to happen to anything at this point.

Paches

lol I thought there would be nothing interesting in politics tonight, but check out the PR that WH released.

That can't be real, right? We are so far down the rabbit hole I have no idea what to believe.

The wording of the press release is damn juvenile. Like, this isn't a professionally done release, it read like a hastily written email.

Also wut, Russia lol

EDIT: it reads like an onion article, so here's the link for clarification
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/863593282990985216

This feels more like an incredibly clumsy attempt to try and get Russia involved in dealing with NK more than a declaration that we're suddenly super concerned about Russia, but it's still unbelievably boneheaded. These guys really do think they live in a universe where nobody is still interested in the Russia stuff.

sangreal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.c546a202d200

It's better than nothing but I can't believe this is the extent of GOP concern they're willing to go public with. History won't be kind to them but they don't care about that anyway.
I'm simply baffled. The man is of subhuman intelligence. He suffers from job-crippling delusions. He's either incapable of handling stress or suffering from the dementia his father died of or both. Put him down already, you dolts.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Seeing the USDA appointment, Trump is going to get rid of McMaster as soon as he can.

sazzy

Even if there isn't anything to the Russia story, liberals should keep pressing the Russia button because its very effective in derailing Donald and exposing him as an unhinged person.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood

new NBC/WSJ poll: Americans approving of House Republican health care bill 23%; of Trump firing Comey 29%; of Trump job performance 39%

Please proceed, GOP.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lindsay Graham just went out on a bunch of limbs.

Kept insisting that he personally had seen no evidence of Russian collusion with the campaign, but that trump should absolutely release all his taxes and when pressed, those of his LLC's and shell companies.

Also said he'd ask for a special or independent counsel if anything else showed up.

Diablos

Thinking about the SCOTUS. 2018 is so important. But I'm not sure how Dems win back the Senate and that's the only way we can stop the GOP from making it conservative for a long, long time. Bawww.

Diablos

Somehow hold everything while picking up Heller and Flake's seats.
No way in hell that happens even if 2018 is a huge year for Dems like 2006 was. I also wonder if even Senator Casey here in PA will keep his seat because PA is so fucking conservative now. Trump's approval rating is actually climbing in many parts of the state. Just unbelievable.

Fuck I can't believe the 2006 elections were over 10 years ago. I cannot believe how much power the GOP has gained back and then some since then.

No way in hell that happens even if 2018 is a huge year for Dems like 2006 was.

Fuck I can't believe the 2006 elections were over 10 years ago. I cannot believe how much power the GOP has gained back and then some since then.
Remember the talk of "GOP is now a regional party" back in 2008?

But I will say that even though 2018 looks daunting, at the current moment we have the right ingredients to overcome it because Trump. Can we maintain the course for another year? What if Trump gets impeached between now and then? Will Dems still come out to vote now a typical rightwing politician (Pence) is the President? This is why I want the FBI investigation to drag on for another year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lindsay Graham just went out on a bunch of limbs.

Kept insisting that he personally had seen no evidence of Russian collusion with the campaign, but that trump should absolutely release all his taxes and when pressed, those of his LLC's and shell companies.

Also said he'd ask for a special or independent counsel if anything else showed up.

In all honesty, it seems like Graham is baiting Trump.

Can Garland refuse? Why the fuck would he accept serving as the FBI director at the whims of a totalitarian madman and leave his cushy job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom