• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Manchin. I looked at a 538 chart that shows how much senators are voting for Trumps agenda. Most republicans are voting 97-100%, the "mavericks" are voting 92 and 95%, Manchin is only voting 58%. Yeah, thats alot more than we'd like, but opposing Trump 42% of the time is a hell of alot better than 0%, which is what would happen if a republican were the senator in WV.

The most conservative democrat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any republican.

The most conservative democrat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any republican.

Yeah, this should also be part of the DNC's push in the future. Letting "moderates" like Collins, Hogan, Baker, etc... get elected because we wanted the GOP to actually be a moderate party was a mistake.

The message should be that the only good Republican is one who just lost an election. Don't let a single one of them separate themselves from the group.

fantomena

Haha.

18403610_1321271721297970_7412331315960764036_n.jpg

Ithil

Now this is an interesting development:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...tate-deals-said-to-be-probed-by-n-y-s-top-cop

New York State has opened an investigation into the real-estate dealings of President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, deepening the already intense legal scrutiny of the young administration.

The probe by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, one of the most outspoken critics of the president, is in a preliminary stage, according to a person familiar with the matter who asked not to be named because the investigation isn’t public. Manafort, who ran Trump’s campaign from April to August last year, has owned property in the Hamptons and Trump Tower in Manhattan.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is also in the early stages of an investigation into Manafort’s transactions, a person familiar with that probe said. Representatives for Schneiderman and Vance declined to comment.

The inquiries by the two Democrats could pose added legal peril for Manafort if investigators find evidence of a crime. Unlike a probe by the U.S. Justice Department and FBI, the president and Attorney General Jeff Sessions have no authority over New York state investigators scrutinizing whether Manafort broke state laws. Schneiderman is responsible for enforcing New York’s securities laws under the Martin Act, which gives him broad powers to pursue white-collar crime.

"If someone’s leaking information about an investigation, that’s a crime," Manafort spokesman Jason Maloni said in a phone call on Saturday.

The Wall Street Journal on Friday reported on the state investigations. The newspaper also said the Justice Department had requested Manafort’s banking records from Citizens Financial Group as part of its inquiry into whether Trump’s former campaign associates colluded with Russia during the 2016 election.

Manafort stepped down amid sinking poll numbers and controversy over his past work for a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine. He has offered to speak with the House Intelligence Committee about his ties to Russia and denied any improprieties in his contacts with Russian officials or intermediaries.

Manafort’s business dealings have featured prominently in discussions of links between the Trump campaign and Russia. He used Cypriot bank accounts to receive money from Russian tycoon Oleg Deripaska and Ukrainian clients, according to court records and former executives at the bank where the accounts were kept. Manafort and Deripaska have said the accounts were opened for legitimate business transactions.

Two congressional committees, along with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, are investigating the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia and Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Mike Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, was forced to resign after misleading Vice President Mike Pence about conversations he had with Russian officials, and Sessions recused himself from any decisions related to the Russia probes after he failed to reveal his talks with Russian officials during his confirmation hearing.

It's only just starting out so results may be a while away, but the most important thing to know from this is that this investigation would be independent from the DOJ (and free from Sessions' meddling), and would concern state laws, which the President can't pardon crimes for. Also, the AG in New York has huge reach in this area as mentioned in the article due to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Act

Manafort may be boned thoroughly now.

Yeah, this should also be part of the DNC's push in the future. Letting "moderates" like Collins, Hogan, Baker, etc... get elected because we wanted the GOP to actually be a moderate party was a mistake.

The message should be that the only good Republican is one who just lost an election. Don't let a single one of them separate themselves from the group.

"Bonfire of the Moderate Darlings"

wutwutwut

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...tate-deals-said-to-be-probed-by-n-y-s-top-cop

It's only just starting out so results may be a while away, but the most important thing to know from this is that this investigation would be independent from the DOJ (and free from Sessions' meddling), and would concern state laws, which the President can't pardon crimes for. Also, the AG in New York has huge reach in this area as mentioned in the article due to this:

God damn it, didn't Claude Taylor talk about Schneiderman?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, you don't want to mess around with the sort of shit Manafort was doing in NY. There's been a lot of it out in LA and Miami, but not as much here for obvious reasons. That said, most of the high end real estate deals in NYC are done in cash. So if you've got enough balls you can certainly use the market here to launder dirty money and it wouldn't be that hard.

Sort of not great for Handel if a Republican isn't winning a Gravis poll? But these pollsters that've done GA6 have been Bad and congressional specials are very hard to poll.

It's a coin flip.

Sharpeye

Sort of not great for Handel if a Republican isn't winning a Gravis poll? But these pollsters that've done GA6 have been Bad and congressional specials are very hard to poll.

It's a coin flip.

New early voting locations have been made and the Ossoff campaign claims they are registering over 100 new voters a day. That, combined with the momentum from the healthcare repeal and the FBI controversy, I think gives Ossoff a slight edge. Either way, this democrat wave I feel will help turn Georgia blue in the future or at least turn it into a toss up state.

New early voting locations have been made and the Ossoff campaign claims they are registering over 100 new voters a day. That, combined with the momentum from the healthcare repeal and the FBI controversy, I think gives Ossoff a slight edge. Either way, this democrat wave I feel will help turn Georgia blue in the future or at least turn it into a toss up state.

Yeah gotta keep that Sun Belt turning our way. Even if we pulled off the White House plus Senate, we've always needed to move off of the Rust Belt as a crucial region. Moving forward, we should prioritize the Sun Belt and the bluer Rust Belt states like Wisconsin and Michigan. I think Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa are gone except for incumbents we already have.

Chumly

Gravis GA-6

Ossoff 47
Handel 45

Among voters who didn't vote in the primary, Ossoff leads 53-32.

AHCA favorabilty is 33-42.

Oh god we're gonna lose

Gravis sucks
Prior to comey and the AHCA passing the house I would have given ossoff a 5% chance to pulling this off but this I think will give him the push to be the favorite to win.

Ogodei

Yeah gotta keep that Sun Belt turning our way. Even if we pulled off the White House plus Senate, we've always needed to move off of the Rust Belt as a crucial region. Moving forward, we should prioritize the Sun Belt and the bluer Rust Belt states like Wisconsin and Michigan. I think Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa are gone except for incumbents we already have.

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were the blue wall and we still can't afford to lose them. They're losing Electors and Representatives in 2020, but not fast enough to be declared irrelevant.

Texas is the big prize, they're getting 4 new Electors/Representatives, and 2024 might be the time the party is finally competitive there given 8 more years of demographic shift and elderly GOP dying off.

So this is fun, and I didn't see it posted:

Manafort's Real-Estate Deals Said to Be Probed by N.Y.'s Top Cop

New York State has opened an investigation into the real-estate dealings of President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, deepening the already intense legal scrutiny of the young administration.

The probe by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, one of the most outspoken critics of the president, is in a preliminary stage, according to a person familiar with the matter who asked not to be named because the investigation isn’t public. Manafort, who ran Trump’s campaign from April to August last year, has owned property in the Hamptons and Trump Tower in Manhattan.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is also in the early stages of an investigation into Manafort’s transactions, a person familiar with that probe said. Representatives for Schneiderman and Vance declined to comment.

The inquiries by the two Democrats could pose added legal peril for Manafort if investigators find evidence of a crime. Unlike a probe by the U.S. Justice Department and FBI, the president and Attorney General Jeff Sessions have no authority over New York state investigators scrutinizing whether Manafort broke state laws. Schneiderman is responsible for enforcing New York’s securities laws under the Martin Act, which gives him broad powers to pursue white-collar crime.

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were the blue wall and we still can't afford to lose them. They're losing Electors and Representatives in 2020, but not fast enough to be declared irrelevant.

Texas is the big prize, they're getting 4 new Electors/Representatives, and 2024 might be the time the party is finally competitive there given 8 more years of demographic shift and elderly GOP dying off.

Yeah I mentioned MI and WI, but forgot PA. My main point is that I think heavy resources in Ohio, Iowa, or Indiana would be a waste even if Obama won them once. We should still keep a party apparatus going in case we get opponents like Vitter with major baggage, but other than incumbent holds, I don't like our chances there long term.

I agree on Indiana, but I want to see what Ohio and Iowa do next year before completely writing them off. When people talk about exasperated Trump voters those are the ones that come to mind for me. Rod Blum's career looks pretty toasty this early out.

I agree on Indiana, but I want to see what Ohio and Iowa do next year before completely writing them off. When people talk about exasperated Trump voters those are the ones that come to mind for me. Rod Blum's career looks pretty toasty this early out.

The state GOP succeeded in banning public sector unions so Iowa is gone much like Wisconsin.

Indiana was never really considered a swing state. Obama won it in 2008 because (1) he won the overall election easily (2) he was a Midwesterner and (3) he completely out-organized McCain, who couldn't really afford to contest there (Obama had superior resources and McCain's only hope of winning the election was in a scenario where his national numbers improved to the point where Indiana was a given). Even then, he barely won.

Iowa and especially Ohio are traditional battlegrounds and, yes, it would appear they have lost that status. At a presidential level they're not going to be worth contesting for the forseeable future outside special circumstances (like if say Trump is unpopular in 2020 and Sherrod Brown is the nominee, Ohio could be in play). I still think they're worth investing in downballot, but I also think some amount of investment should go to every state.

Yeah I remember a while ago a poll came out that showed Trump's approval in Iowa was pretty mediocre/bad, I'd like to see how it goes there before writing it off.

NeoXChaos

How did we go from one election and OH/IA are off the table so fast?

Atleast from a presidential level OH has been competitive for Democrats. Statewide the party has been in shambles aside from 06 in the last 25 years. IA Democrats until recently had been doing better on a presidential and statewide level.

The statewide and presidential success difference in the Midwest for the party has been jarring over the last 30 years anyway.

The state GOP succeeded in banning public sector unions so Iowa is gone much like Wisconsin.
I'm not ready to give up on either state. We still need the Midwest until AZ/GA/TX flip.

Wisconsin in particular was decided by under 30,000 votes last year. Scott Walker, like many GOP politicians has benefited greatly from never having to run during a presidential election.

Writing off WI/MI/PA, states Trump barely carried by a point each at most, is utterly foolish.

I'm not saying we give up on any state, but it's a matter of finite resources and I'd rather money went to states like Wisconsin or Arizona than Ohio or Iowa.

Or even just spend locally in those states to work on House districts and mayors.

Obviously long term strategy will depend on a bunch of unknowns, but short term we have to contest WI/MI/PA. We lost those states by, what, 70K votes collectively and they would get us over 270. You still work at pushing states like GA and AZ, but WI/MI/PA (plus holding states like NH, MN, and ME) is probably going to be the easiest path to victory in 2020.

IA and OH look tougher because the shifts were so dramatic. Obama won IA by 6 points in 2012. In 2016, TX was closer than IA.

Given how these past few months have gone it's really hard to predict where we will be. However, given Trump's terrible approval ratings, the growing resistance to Trump, the GOP's Healthcare plan, Georgia special election results, and surge in political activism shows good signs for Democrats. We can't rule out the Midwest given the current circumstances. Now is the time for Democrats to strike aggressively in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, The Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and Texas. Obviously not letting up in the NE and west coast.

Obviously long term strategy will depend on a bunch of unknowns, but short term we have to contest WI/MI/PA. We lost those states by, what, 70K votes collectively and they would get us over 270. You still work at pushing states like GA and AZ, but WI/MI/PA (plus holding states like NH, MN, and ME) is probably going to be the easiest path to victory in 2020.

IA and OH look tougher because the shifts were so dramatic. Obama won IA by 6 points in 2012. In 2016, TX was closer than IA.

Right I agree with this. In fact, even lumping all the Rust Belt states together doesn't really paint the right picture. There's a very real difference between Wisconsin and Iowa.

Crocodile

Wisconsin Gov race is in 2018 right? If we get a Democrat in there, can we reverse the damage done to unions and voting rights in the state? Does the GOP have a stranglehold on the state legislature? I think winning the Governor's mansion in that state (plus smaller offices) bodes well for reclaiming the state in 2020.

As an aside, here is an interesting article about declining functionality of American Politics (written before election but still informative I believe)

Wisconsin Gov race is in 2018 right? If we get a Democrat in there, can we reverse the damage done to unions and voting rights in the state? Does the GOP have a stranglehold on the state legislature? I think winning the Governor's mansion in that state (plus smaller offices) bodes well for reclaiming the state in 2020.

As an aside, here is an interesting article about declining functionality of American Politics (written before election but still informative I believe)

The legislature is super gerrymandered and out of reach, but the governor could veto any new maps for the next redistricting. Of course, first the Democrats need to recruit a decent candidate for once.

How did we go from one election and OH/IA are off the table so fast?

Atleast from a presidential level OH has been competitive for Democrats. Statewide the party has been in shambles aside from 06 in the last 25 years. IA Democrats until recently had been doing better on a presidential and statewide level.

The statewide and presidential success difference in the Midwest for the party has been jarring over the last 30 years anyway.

Because non college whites bolted from Democrats.

You win Ohio if 2020 is a wave election. If it's competitive you spend your resources in the closer states.

chadskin

White House chief of staff Reince Priebus issued a stern warning at a recent senior staff meeting: Quit trying to secretly slip stuff to President Trump.

Just days earlier, K.T. McFarland, the deputy national security adviser, had given Trump a printout of two Time magazine covers. One, supposedly from the 1970s, warned of a coming ice age; the other, from 2008, about surviving global warming, according to four White House officials familiar with the matter.

Trump quickly got lathered up about the media’s hypocrisy. But there was a problem. The 1970s cover was fake, part of an Internet hoax that’s circulated for years. Staff chased down the truth and intervened before Trump tweeted or talked publicly about it.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/15/donald-trump-fake-news-238379

Lol, Mika dishing that Kellyanne Conway would say "Bleccch! I need to take a shower" immediately after she finished shilling for Trump on Morning Joe during the campaign

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That reads like a parent telling his extended family to not give the kid candy.

"You all know lil'donny has informational diabetes, if you give him any printed text his fake-news level will spike and he could go into a twitter coma. Low text maps are still okay, no more than two colors per map please."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom