• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...cle_efb6ca46-5c14-5b5b-8c2a-e6105a12842e.html

Bozeman Reacts

Bozeman voters standing in line at the polls Thursday had plenty to say about the news of U.S. House candidate Greg Gianforte facing a misdemeanor assault charge after an altercation with a reporter.

- “I’m going to body slam my vote for (U.S. House candidate Rob Quist) into the ballot,” said Adam Majors. “This is a historic election here in Montana, and I’m glad I get to be a part of it.”

- “I’m shocked. Nobody should put their hands on anybody, especially not a politician,” said Mike Herrick. “I’m glad I don’t have to change my vote.”

- “I’m not shocked at all,” said Suzy Chambers. “He clearly has bad anger management skills, and I’m glad I’m voting for Quist.”

- “I think that this is hilarious,” said Sherrie Proctor. “Watching the parallels to the presidential election is so surreal. I read comments saying that this was what Quist needed, but then I look back at the presidential election and I get worried. When you look at things the president has said, I’m worried this won’t be enough to stop Gianforte.”

- “I’m surprised that someone would do that,” said Harper Lubich. “Not only as a politician, but as a person. It says a lot about his stances on issues if he would rather attack someone than defend his position.”

- “When I first heard about it, I thought it was satire or fake news,” said Adam Waldorf. “It genuinely surprised me to find out that it was legitimate. I feel like it kind of screws up his election though, politicians need to be smarter.”

-“It’s a little disappointing,” said Rob Biggs, who voted for Gianforte. “The poor guy probably didn’t sleep anything last night.”

-“I feel like it’s a little set up,” said Luanne Biggs, who also voted for Gianforte. “I understand the frustration of someone being right in your face.”

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt he serves a single minute of jail time. Probation or something equivalent at most. If he was sentenced to 6 months in jail, there'd be tremendous pressure on him to resign and we'd get to do this whole song and dance again.

And if democrats can't even win this one with the news, how could the ever win the next one?

At most it's just one less moderate they can release from voting for the Senate's AHCA bill before the seat gets filled again.

And if democrats can't even win this one with the news, how could the ever win the next one?

At most it's just one less moderate they can release from voting for the Senate's AHCA bill before the seat gets filled again.

The news will have a negligible effect on the election. Assume this election is running without yesterday's news.

I guess this is kind of a downside to lax early voting laws, but nothing like this could have been predicted.

It's only 2:30 pm on the east coast.

I was replying to the reports that Montana would take until the middle of the night or tomorrow morning to count.

Spot the difference:

APHqyIA.jpg

Xewg6TO.jpg

I'm not an #expert in Montana, but my guess on things to look for:

Gallatin (Bozeman): swung to Democrats, including Chillary, in 2016. A swing county usually. Highly educated. Quist needs to run up the margin here. Tester had a really good swing here.

Cascade: Split county of Bullock/Trump. Fifth biggest county. If Quist is winning here, he probably is winning the night.

Lewis And Clark (Helena): Bullock/Trump county, but just barely Trump. Quist needs a huge margin here.

Missoula County: Quist will win, but needs big numbers and TURNOUT. Solid turnout here is good if Quist can cut into Gianforte's numbers in the rurals.

Silver Bow County (Butte): A place where national Dems still do well. Labor strong hold. Should be great for Quist. If he's meh here, he's going to lose.

Yellowstone County (Billing): The big one. Biggest county in the state. 48.7% Gianforte, 47.9% Bullock. If Quist wins here, Quist wins. Even if Gianforte wins here, watch the margin. If it's a small win of a point or so, Quist has a good shot of winning the state. We knew that Tester was probably going to win because he actually won Yellowstone, unlike Bullock!

royalan

The problem was thinking that this is the kind of bad news that would effect most Republicans.

Body slamming liberal journalists is the exact kind macho bullshit Republicans would like in their dream candidate.

Gallatin (Bozeman): swung to Democrats, including Chillary, in 2016. A swing county usually. Highly educated. Quist needs to run up the margin here. Tester had a really good swing here.

Cascade: Split county of Bullock/Trump. Fifth biggest county. If Quist is winning here, he probably is winning the night.

Lewis And Clark (Helena): Bullock/Trump county, but just barely Trump. Quist needs a huge margin here.

Missoula County: Quist will win, but needs big numbers and TURNOUT. Solid turnout here is good if Quist can cut into Gianforte's numbers in the rurals.

Silver Bow County (Butte): A place where national Dems still do well. Labor strong hold. Should be great for Quist. If he's meh here, he's going to lose.

Yellowstone County (Billing): The big one. Biggest county in the state. 48.7% Gianforte, 47.9% Bullock. If Quist wins here, Quist wins. Even if Gianforte wins here, watch the margin. If it's a small win of a point or so, Quist has a good shot of winning the state. We knew that Tester was probably going to win because he actually won Yellowstone, unlike Bullock!

Should have led off with "I don't know how much the rest of you know about Montana (I'm an expert)..."

Seriously though, thanks for this.

Rush call-ins? Pretty much a self-selected sample.

Nobody in their right mind thought Gianforte would lose his entire voting base because of this. The hope is that he loses 2-3% of the population, mainly swing voters and it costs him the election.

The fact that a handful of hard-right voters haven't changed their minds is literally irrelevant to that.

Only the last one is a Rush caller. The other two were in-person.

Not a sample, just there are shitheads (and good people) everywhere.

Gallatin is also very important because it covers the section of Yellowstone Park that it's in Montana. The bison vote is very important, though it's the elk you've got to watch for.

Yeah, I (sadly and reluctantly) agree with dropping gun control as a major issue. The problem is even when you get 90% consensus on like background checks for example, the only people who are motivated to vote by that issue are the 10% nutjobs who are against it. Then they tell two friends, they tell two friends and oh look at that, 50% of the country thinks your gun control bill goes too far when in reality it doesn't go anywhere near what we need.

I've felt the same way for a bit now.

There are plenty of people who are otherwise liberal who also love guns.

The Democrats nuanced approach to guns often falls on deaf ears when the right wing takes your arguments and boils it down to, "The state wants to disarm you".

Gun violence and gun culture is a very real problem in this country.

This is super good, thanks!

I'm gonna be really bummed if Gianforte still wins. Between having already lost an election there, the CBO report, assaulting the reporter, having his endorsements retracted, mail-in voting favoring dems, and MT having same-day registration following the assault story we couldn't give many more advantages to Quist hete.

Ironically, Montana's special was going to be all mail-in as a cost-saving measure and the Republicans blocked it because golly gee, that would help the Democrats! But this actually would have hurt them in this instance.

Blader

I'm gonna be really bummed if Gianforte still wins. Between having already lost an election here, the CBO report, assaulting the reporter, having his endorsements rettacted, mail-in voting favoring dems, and MT having same-day registration following the assault story we couldn't give many more advantages to Quist hete.

CBO report, assault, and retracted endorsements happened much too close to election day. If these things had come out maybe a week ago, it would've been a much bigger advantage to Quist. At this point, a majority of voters may have already physically locked in to their choices well ahead of any of these things.

Drakeon

I don't think so.

Close doesn't cut it. They have to start to actually lose in order for any alarms to go off

Unless Gianforte won by like 10%, they probably ignore the results, chocking it up to his assault. Even if they lose, they probably won't acknowledge they have a problem unless ossoff wins.

Alex Moe‏Verified account @AlexNBCNews 15m15 minutes ago

Source close to Gianforte campaign says have raised over $100k online in last 24hrs w/ very lg majority of $ coming post incident last night

To cover his legal fees lol

Making friends #NatoDinnerLeaks:

Mathieu von Rohr‏Verified account @mathieuvonrohr 27m27 minutes ago
More
! Trump tells EU leaders: "The Germans are bad, very bad", will "stop" German car sales to US http://m.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/a-1149282.html ...

Mathieu von Rohr‏Verified account @mathieuvonrohr 13m13 minutes ago

Trump to EU leaders on Germany: "Look at the millions of cars they're selling in the US. Terrible. We will stop this."

Mathieu von Rohr‏Verified account @mathieuvonrohr 22m22 minutes ago

EU officials were reportedly appalled by lack of knowledge about trade deals in Trump's team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom