• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yea, that'd be absolutely huge. It be the most blantant proof they were rigging things for the GOP. From there, who the hell knows where we go...

It would also be the one vector possible. Hitting voting machines without detection would be virtually impossible given the vast differences in how the states vote.

Although it looks like it would still be difficult as voter registration is stopped at county level. But the security differences would be vast.

It would also be the one vector possible. Hitting voting machines without detection would be virtually impossible given the vast differences in how the states vote.

I doubt the actual votes were hacked. New Hampshire is entirely paper ballots and they showed the exact same red rural wave as the rest of the damn country.

And I'm not even saying that what Russia did made the difference between Donald winning and losing, just that Russia DID fuck with our actual voting system. That's huge because it means they could pull some shit during the midterm seasons.

Vimes

Does the coup come before or after this scenario?

After, when the right loses their minds even more than they already have.

I'm talking about a scenario where 2018 is a wave election that gains democrats the house, impeachment begins, pence is invalidated by the russia scandal, and the Speaker of The House (presumably Pelosi) becomes president.

They confirmed so fast I have to assume they already had it and wanted it to lead their world news broadcast. I'll be interested to see what exactly they have.

Yeah, I think other news outlets had it too, but The Intercept reported it first. I expect other news outlets to pick it up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You: We shouldn't run on the Paris Accord and clean energy
Me: wE sHoUlDn'T rUn On ThE PaRiS aCcOrD aNd ClEaN eNeRgY

aB5b5R4.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-worried-about-trump/?utm_term=.6c53fde60fa8

Mike Catanzaro, a solar panel installer with a high school diploma, likes to work with his hands under the clear Carolina sky. That's why he supported President Trump, a defender of blue-collar workers. But the 25-year-old sees Trump's withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement as a threat to his job.

...how the fuck does any living, breathing human being on the planet who has heard of the name, Donald Trump, not have any idea which side that fucker is on when it comes to solar energy?

I almost want this idiot to lose his job just out of sheer principle.

Vimes

...how the fuck does any living, breathing human being on the planet who has heard of the name, Donald Trump, not have any idea which side that fucker is on when it comes to solar energy?

leopards, faces, etc.

kess

It's literally "her emails." There's a lot of technically minded people who like money and the mechanics behind solar panels without being environmentalists who have to lose their livelihood before they consider voting against the Republican candidate. I bet this guy bought Trump's man-of-the-people shtick lock, stock, and barrel.

barber

I would say that for me that sounds like usual "I am a man, i like working with my hands" stuff so pretty much blends with the Trump style.
And about the defender of the blue collars part, if you are working in the green energy field and do not see that coal and co. are in the way out and the need to retrain for other skills then... well you end up voting the guy that has said that your field of work is stupid

kess

Is it possible for a general election to be counted without electronics nowadays?

My country dragged out their old voting machines as late as 2010. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, in fact they're pretty damn practical.

Sometimes it's nice to have a machine that only does One Thing.

I assume the states have control over what kind of voting machines they use? The republicans probably aren't in a big hurry to improve security for them if the hacking is going to benefit them.

I assume the states have control over what kind of voting machines they use? The republicans probably aren't in a big hurry to improve security for them if the hacking is going to benefit them.

Private companies like diebold and others that fund republicans. It's been a big issue since Bush v. Gore no one takes it seriously especially the republicans.

Answer isn't lower tech. The quicker we can move voting into the future, the better. We need to be active when it comes to cyber security. Sitting at the gates waiting to catch an intrusion is not effective. We need to move it to separate division in the DoD or DoHS to not only protect American interests but to actively attack and dismantle threats before they happen.

Xando

Answer isn't lower tech. The quicker we can move voting into the future, the better. We need to be active when it comes to cyber security. Sitting at the gates waiting to catch an intrusion is not effective. We need to move it to separate division in the DoD or DoHS to not only protect American interests but to actively attack and dismantle threats before they happen.
More importantly is IT security training. People with access to critical infrastructure need to be educated enough to not fall for something simple like a spear fishing attack.

I've been saying for months now that when Democrats take back power, they need to create a jobs bill that invests in training for 5 job areas:

- Healthcare
- Education
- Clean Energy
- Civil Engineering/Infrastructure
- CyberSecurity

We don't need to scale back other military stuff per say, but we definitely need to ramp up our cyber security training and programs tenfold.

Piecake

Conway slams media for 'obsession' with Trump's tweets

The media, Conway said, has “this obsession with covering everything he says on Twitter and very little of what he does as president.” Conway blamed that obsession for the uproar that began over the weekend when Trump hurled a political attack across the Atlantic, writing online that there had been “at least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/05/trump-london-attack-kellyanne-conway-239132

Kellyanne Conway's husband mocks Trump's tweets on travel ban

George Conway, the husband of White House adviser Kellyanne Conway who was under consideration for multiple positions in President Donald Trump’s administration, mocked the president on Monday for targeting his own Justice Department.

“These tweets may make some ppl feel better, but they certainly won't help OSG get 5 votes in SCOTUS, which is what actually matters. Sad,” Conway wrote, referring to the Office of the Solicitor General, which argues before the Supreme Court on behalf of the Trump administration.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/05/george-conway-mock-trump-tweet-239143

Sad

kirblar

That's smart of Conway to get her husband going aggro. It sends a signal that she's playing a part and isn't actually "in" with the administration that's about to get roasted by Comey. She knows she needs to be looking for a new gig.

That's smart of Conway to get her husband going aggro. It sends a signal that she's playing a part and isn't actually "in" with the administration that's about to get roasted by Comey. She knows she needs to be looking for a new gig.

Her tell-all book will be a bestseller and the basis for the HBO mini-series (mega-series?). Shit, I might have to buy it.

Dems:

Support: 8
Oppose: 82

I:

Support: 22
Oppose: 63

GOP:

Support: 67
Oppose: 25

US Leadership in the world:

Help: 18
Hurt: 55

Int'l efforts to address climate change:

Help: 11
Hurt: 52

US economy:

Help: 32
Hurt: 42

This is why its better he's gone before 2018, much less 2020, and makes that easier.

Not even the oil industry, at least not the larger firms.

Yeah, they've been pivoting for a while now; I think Exxon-Mobil lobbied to stay in I think?

I'm still pulling for Republicans dragging their feet long enough that we end up with First Woman President Nancy Pelosi.

Imagine the meltdowns.

Don't tell me it won't happen, I don't care.

Bump off Trump, then get Pence on some of his own dark business and you have your wish.

broz0rs

So another "the leaks are real, the news is fake" story.

The obvious takeaway is why these documents never saw the day of light.

Part of an ongoing investigation?

I wonder what happens to current investigations now that this particular document is declassified.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Her tell-all book will be a bestseller and the basis for the HBO mini-series (mega-series?). Shit, I might have to buy it.
If she ends up writing a book, I wouldn't believe a word of it. It'd just be another string of lies serving her own agenda.

LOL

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...-latest-obstacle-is-native-american-subsidies

Democrats say House Republicans may have to vote again on their Obamacare repeal bill before sending it to the Senate, citing among other things an obscure provision that affects health care for Native Americans.

Republicans dismissed the problem as hypothetical, but taking another vote is the last thing the House GOP wants to do, after barely managing to pass the bill on May 4 with a razor-thin 217-213 margin after weeks of negotiations with dissidents in their own party. House Speaker Paul Ryan still hadn’t sent the bill to the Senate by Monday afternoon, as lawmakers await a ruling on whether the measure is eligible for a streamlined Senate procedure allowing the GOP to pass it with a simple majority.

The Senate parliamentarian’s decision on that question could come this week, possibly as soon as late Monday.

Republicans and Democrats met with the Senate parliamentarian earlier in the day. Members of both parties say the latest obstacle for the GOP involves a provision in the House bill that strikes Obamacare’s cost-sharing subsidies available to help low-income Americans afford their health policies, including a provision extending them to Native Americans, according to congressional aides.

Democrats argue that the Native American cost-sharing eligibility issue falls under the jurisdiction of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee. If that’s so, the bill wouldn’t qualify for the streamlined procedure, which requires all policy changes to go through either the Senate Health or Finance committees, said Ed Lorenzen, a senior adviser to the independent Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.

"If the parliamentarian rules that repeal of Section 1402 implicates Indian Affairs Committee jurisdiction it would be a fatal violation," Lorenzen said, referring to the section of law containing the cost-sharing. That would require House action "to correct the problem," he said.

And this time, a House vote would be taken after rank-and-file Republicans have seen an analysis of the bill by the Congressional Budget Office. The nonpartisan CBO reported May 25 that Republicans’ revised bill would undermine insurance markets in some states and result in 23 million more people without insurance.

If the parliamentarian finds a significant problem, House Republicans would have to decide how to fix the cost-sharing provision. A GOP leadership aide described the change as a simple technical correction that isn’t worrisome for backers of an Obamacare replacement. It could be passed by voice vote, some Republicans contend.

Democrats say not so fast -- they will insist on an actual floor vote.

Democrats are working to spoil the Republican strategy of passing their own health-care bill with as few as 50 votes -- plus a tie-breaker from Vice President Mike Pence -- and bypassing the usual 60-vote threshold. Democrats are asking the Senate parliamentarian to rule that the House bill contains flaws that prevent Senate Republicans from using the streamlined procedure to avoid a filibuster.

To use that procedure, the measure can’t add to the deficit and the Senate must match the House bill’s $119 billion in deficit reduction over 10 years. In addition, provisions overseen by the Senate Finance and the Senate Health committees must produce $1 billion in cost savings each.

Democrats contend the bill doesn’t meet the requirement of $1 billion in cost savings under the Senate Health committee’s jurisdiction. They say that’s because funds added to the House bill to stabilize state high-risk pools for the very sick push the costs too high to meet the target, according to several Democratic aides familiar with the arguments.

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur 31m31 minutes ago

GRAHAM says he doesn't think Republicans will pass a health care bill in 2017.

"I just don't think we can put it together among ourselves."

#tiredofwinning

Seriously, if not in 17, when?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I doubt the actual votes were hacked. New Hampshire is entirely paper ballots and they showed the exact same red rural wave as the rest of the damn country.

And I'm not even saying that what Russia did made the difference between Donald winning and losing, just that Russia DID fuck with our actual voting system. That's huge because it means they could pull some shit during the midterm seasons.

I agree, i'm talking about the Voter Registration bit.

If you were an outside agent wanting to fuck with the US Election going after voter registration is a vector that very well may be the weakest link. (Other than shit like Fake News and Bots).

I wonder if an analysis was, or can be done, on provisional ballots.
That might help detect if there was tampering with those records.

The distributed nature of voter registration records means oddities with provisional ballots should be clustered in certain counties. As security and access will vary greatly by county.

Vixdean

So they identified the suspect because the scanned copy of the document was creased?

Also, she sent it from her work computer.

Huh.

2018?

No, they identified her because The Intercept burned their source.

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/871841372239802368

Mark Berman‏Verified account
@markberman
Follow
More
Replying to @markberman @theintercept
According to the FBI, a news outlet contacted a govt agency on May 30, that agency told the FBI on June 1, and Winner was arrested June 3

A site founded by a dude championing whistleblowers and leakers burned their anonymous source. Can't make this up!

No, they identified her because The Intercept burned their source.

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/871841372239802368

A site founded by a dude championing whistleblowers and leakers burned their anonymous source. Can't make this up!

Crosspost from the OT thread:

From the Intercept article itself, Greenwald needed to contact the NSA to get corroborations of the important details. The sources he contacted agreed to corroborate most of what Greenwald had been originally given if he agreed to retract some key details (which he says in the article he did).

The NSA sources that Greenwald contacted apparently must have then figured out who leaked the documents and turned that info over to the FBI.

You can't hold it against Greenwald that he wanted shit corroborated. That's a VERY important aspect of journalism.

This is a pretty incredible chart.

VERY GOOD. That's the sort of shit I want to see. Dems going fucking WIDE on the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom