• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Also, I think she sent the document to multiple news sources - I think the Intercept was the only one who was willing to publish it.

With the House at risk?

Eh, I think there's a credible argument to be made that they're doomed either way. (If they are, in fact doomed). They promised a repeal and fail = they lose the house. (The 1994 scenario) They promise a repeal, and we get this incredibly unpopular bill instead = they lose the house. (The 2010 scenario)

So if they're losing their majority regardless, the electoral incentives aren't as powerful and they may just default to their default political mode: slashing the social safety net to give the rich another tax cut.

Ernest

Banned
Hypothetical question...

What if they found, beyond a shadow of a doubt with irrevocable PROOF that enough votes were suppressed/invalidated, along with proof that if they weren't, Clinton would've handily won the electoral vote as well?

Hypothetical question...

What if they found, beyond a shadow of a doubt with irrevocable PROOF that enough votes were suppressed/invalidated, along with proof that if they weren't, Clinton would've handily won the electoral vote as well?

I mean, nothing. There is no mechanism for special elections in American politics. There is no way to invalidate elections once certified. Trump would maybe be impeached at that point, or he'd step down (unlikely on the latter) and Pence would become president.

But there is no way to have a new election once the electoral college vote is certified.

So this is interesting:

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871783117266309122

The replies are on point too.

Life, uh, finds a way

Zito @_Zeets 4 hours ago
Life really does come at you fast
DBlG_KgXcAAKwBj.jpg
DBlG_bnXkAIaeUT.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
Hypothetical question...

There is no mechanism in the Constitution for a do-over.

Wilsongt

Hypothetical question...

It goes down the line. We'll never get a Hillary presidency ever.

If they dont pass a healthcare plan in 2017, what are the chances of them passing one in 2018?

They can do it, but it'll be much harder because you may get a repeat of 2010 when the Democrats passed ACA this time however, you are taking away their healthcare. Politically, may not be a smart idea and I doubt Trump would help. I think slim to none.

Hypothetical question...

Nothing, because we don't have rules for that sort of thing.

But it doesn't matter because that hypothetical won't happen. You need to understand that 2016 happened the way it happened for a few reasons:

1) Hillary's campaign was too data focused and didn't do enough actual ground game in many states

2) Hillary's campaign spent too much ad time and campaign time on policy wonk shit and anti-trump stuff instead of taking a note from Bernie and realizing that it's better to make sure even the uninformed voters know of your basic policy proposals

3) Russia-fakenews-wikileaks-ect

4) Comey protecting himself from getting fired by Trump on day 1

5) Trump energized his fanbase of white rural conservatives to turn out in ridiculously high numbers while our side was not as enthusiastic about voting

6) The GOP knew Hillary was going to be the nominee as early as December 2012 and so spent 2013 through 2016 refocusing all their antiObama attacks into antiHillary attacks that convinced 60% of voters to hate her.

Teggy

So this is interesting:

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871783117266309122

The replies are on point too.

One could sustain themselves on the schadenfraude for a good year.

Ew.

On the campaign trail, President Trump's children rolled through dozens of small towns across the country, reveling in the adoration of the crowds. But they were less enamored of the budget-friendly hotels along the way, an assortment of run-of-the-mill offerings that were barely distinguishable from one another.

That led to a business idea.

On Monday, the Trump Organization is expected to announce plans for a new three-star hotel chain with a patriotic flair, echoing President Trump's campaign slogan about putting America first and reflecting the organization's promise to enter into new deals only in the United States. The intention is to differentiate the chain, called American Idea, by featuring artifacts of American culture in the hotels, such as an old Coca-Cola machine in the lobby or American-made sundries in the rooms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/...ican-idea-hotel-chain.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Thank you I was wondering why Matthews was wasting his time with Carter. This is some CNN level garbage which I don't like to see on MSNBC.

Isn't it a good thing that we have such a nimrod doing interviews since the more he talks, the more team Trump gets implicated?

Why oh why does Carter Page keep doing interviews. And on MSNBC of all places... :lol

Btw, I had no idea Trump's Gallup approval rating nose-dived to 36% over the weekend. I thought he was having a little mini-surge after the foreign trip. I guess the moral of the story is Trump's approval rating goes up when he's 8.000 miles away from American soil.

Why oh why does Carter Page keep doing interviews. And on MSNBC of all places... :lol

Btw, I had no idea Trump's Gallup approval rating nose-dived to 36% over the weekend. I thought he was having a little mini-surge after the foreign trip. I guess the moral of the story is Trump's approval rating goes up when he's 8.000 miles away from American soil.

Paris accord withdrawal was a gigantic gigantic fuck-up.

This is fucking terrifying.

There's no coming back from this, is there? Best case scenario we come out on top in 2018, but the GOP will have normalized threats and acts of violence against the media.

Fucking hell.

Another fear would be that out of fear for their bottom line, a lot of these for profit media companies could mandate a tonal shift in coverage and essentially go even lighter on Trump and the GOP than they do now.

Another fear would be that out of fear for their bottom line, a lot of these for profit media companies could mandate a tonal shift in coverage and essentially go even lighter on Trump and the GOP than they do now.

Nothing brings in viewers than constant scandals and train wrecks from the GOP.

See: Fox News' slipping ratings

Gruco

Banned
Hypothetical question...

I imagine, the same thing that happened in November 2001, when we learned that Gore won Florida.

Sounds like you guys should expand and simplify voting access.
hell yeah AVR is really good we need it everywhere

AVR%202017%20Map.png

map is slightly out of date because Illinois just passed it but otherwise works. Most of these wouldn't be too life-changing, but because there's so few voters in Alaska it might be the difference between winning or losing in a wave and there's a few CDs in big states like California and Illinois that it could make the difference in (plus one in Colorado) and it could especially be a big help in Georgia on that list. The other states that have passed it are pretty locked into their current congressional delegations and don't really have any swing offices or districts that it would make a difference in probably.

Voting by mail is the best way to not have your midterm turnout crater as well, though I like the idea of voting in person for sentimental reasons. The difference in turnout for Colorado in 2010 and 2014 (between which they adopted mail ballots) was something insane like ten points.

I wrote a paper on this once I realized a policy analysis of publicly owned municipal utilities would take too much research to do in one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom