• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually just shitpost sarcastically in here but it it astounds me that conservatives aren't for singlepayer healthcare (or allpayer healthcare, or any kind of real healthcare plan). There is no such thing as innovation in the insurance market. In medicine, sure; in moving money around and asking your actuarians how likely it is an elderly hispanic woman with diabetes will have health complications next year, no.

Healthcare is a $3 trillion market in the United States and comprises something like 17% of our GDP. The UK spends half as much as us on healthcare. At this point some cockhead says "we're not the UK". No shit, asshole, the numbers say plainly as much, but why can't we be? Best healthcare in the world at half the price, I'd buy that for a dollar. Same thing with drug prices: our pharmaceutical patent system is obviously a government sanctioned monopoly machine but god forbid we put a dent in bank account of the Duke of Pfizer. All this money is churning uselessly like pennies in the drain.

I'm a capitalist. I want everyone to save money on healthcare - everyone. The doctors, the patients, and whoever's footing the bill. And then I want everyone to take that money they saved and spend it on everything else in the world. Fast cars, big guns, or queso dribbling down your chin. Spend it. This is America. Greed is the creed. Yeah, I'm a greedy capitalist, and if you are, too, you should want singlepayer healthcare. The economy grows. People have more money to spend. We all get more shitty stuff, like Apple Watches and man-rompers.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. The entire conservative movement has ditched the historical fact that the rallying cry of the Revolution was "taxation without representation" and now just believe it was "taxation." Single payer would require an increase in taxes, so it's dead to them.

Blader

In the OT thread, someone said early voting wasn't looking good for Osoff. Any truth to this and should I worry yet?

Huh, I had saw just the opposite. Not that that's necessarily a great sign either; Dems make a habit of crushing the early vote only to collapse on the day of.

I thought placed didn't release early vote tallies, or even that it was illegal because it might affect e-day turnout.

Although I guess that's probably a local law thing and it may vary.

Edit: oh yeah it's that thing where their party affiliation on their early votes are counted by what primary they last voted in which would be misleading if we're actually expecting some R crossover voters for Ossof.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. The entire conservative movement has ditched the historical fact that the rallying cry of the Revolution was "taxation without representation" and now just believe it was "taxation." Single payer would require an increase in taxes, so it's dead to them.
Pretty much. My dad says as much. It all comes down to taxes, wanting lower taxes, wanting the government to take less of his money through taxes, and not wanting to "support your own personal family of illegals" with taxes

We're all already taxed! My employer has to pay for my healthcare, so that's lost wages. And people aren't dumb, everyone understands that point readily.

Pretty much. My dad says as much. It all comes down to taxes, wanting lower taxes, wanting the government to take less of his money through taxes, and not wanting to "support your own personal family of illegals" with taxes

Make it available to permanent residents only, much like, uh, most other government programs in the country. Plus, I'd happily do a quid-pro-quo with conservatives if they'd bite: national healthcare system for all Americans, but only if we secure the border, institute national eVerify, and actually go through with deportations of immigrants who shouldn't be here (my mum included, I guess). Conservatives get to go home as saviors of white American culture and progressives get their 3rd greatest accomplishment in all of American history (1st and 2nd being abolition and civil rights).

Ourobolus

Banned
We're all already taxed! My employer has to pay for my healthcare, so that's lost wages. And people aren't dumb, everyone understands that point readily.

You are giving the average person way too much credit. All they see is a paycheck and money that was taken away before they get it.

Chumly

Make it available to permanent residents only, much like, uh, most other government programs in the country.
Wait what? You actually think people understand that is lost wages? 95% of people have not fucking idea how much their employer contributes toward their health insurance. I can't tell you how many people I've had to explain to why buying individual health insurance is more expensive that getting it through an employer

Dads are the worst.

Make it available to permanent residents only, much like, uh, most other government programs in the country.

Nah, people are really, really, really, really, really, really dumb.

Like super dumb.

Also clearly the end game of the Rand (Ayn, not Paul) wing of the GOP's ultimate goal is elimination of all taxation.

Teggy

DBqjZoAWAAAqphu

Anybody here learn the capital of Turkey in Jr. High?

You are giving the average person way too much credit. All they see is a paycheck and money that was taken away before they get it.

Wait what? You actually think people understand that is lost wages? 95% of people have not fucking idea how much their employer contributes toward their health insurance. I can't tell you how many people I've had to explain to why buying individual health insurance is more expensive that getting it through an employer

It's spelled right out for them how much their employer contributed toward healthcare, at least in California. They already know.

Nah, people are really, really, really, really, really, really dumb.

Like super dumb.

If they're really that dumb then we'll just bill this as a tax cut for them, easy. "Your employer is taxing you for healthcare, we're eliminating this tax and giving you back the difference." Republicans want to keep your healthcare tax high, we want to give American families a tax break. Done. Boom. If death panels can catch on, so can healthcare tax cut.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
excerpt from It Takes A Village talking about using prison labor in the Arkansas' governor's mansion

ymmv, I thought it was kinda fucked up though

That's pretty fucked and further shows how terrible the Clintons were about crime in the 90s. I would be curious to hear her reaction if confronted with the issue today

I don't *think* there's any ancaps in the GOP, they need at least a bit for police and military to protect property rights.

I mean they aren't part of the GOP per se but they vote R because they have no other viable option. Johnson/Ron Paul is not viable.

If they're really that dumb then we'll just bill this as a tax cut for them, easy. "Your employer is taxing you for healthcare, we're eliminating this tax and giving you back the difference." Republicans want to keep your healthcare tax high, we want to give American families a tax break. Done. Boom. If death panels can catch on, so can healthcare tax cut.

I mean tricking them would be easier than getting them to form cogent knowledge of healthcare policy but if there's a (D) next to a name it already means "taxes." They've been too poisoned to the brand.

I mean they aren't part of the GOP per se but they vote R because they have no other viable option. Johnson/Ron Paul is not viable.
I don't think Johnson/Paul want zero taxation because they need police to protect their right to liquidate the masses for profit. I think there's more electoral support for Trotskyism in the US than anarcho-capitalism.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah...
Started seeing a lot of posts like this right before the house passed it

Josh Marshall @joshtpm

Getting the sense that 23-25 million people are going to lose their health insurance.

Matt Fuller @MEPFuller

Trust me when I tell you this: Senate Republicans are closer than ever to repealing Obamacare.

royalan

It was a solid, fact-filled comeback. My problem is that I want some democrats with some fire. He is so calm and collected it makes him seem like he has zero energy and doesn't even care. Throw some snark back. Raise your voice a little. Remember Biden destroying Paul Ryan in that debate? That's what I want to see more of.

I missed the beginning of the debate, so keep that in mind. But this was his one shining moment. She demolishes him from here on out, only because she gets visibly passionate and goes on the attack, not just on him but on Democrats in general.

My problem with Ossaff's performance in this debate was exactly what you highlighted. In his effort to seem above it, he somewhat crosses the line into above it all -- in other words, detached. Which is my general issue with how Democrats approach campaigning. You have to allow yourself to get emotional. The risk you run with staying composed is coming across as aloof. Every time she mentioned Obamacare he should have raked her over the coals with AHCA.

Luckily this debate is late in the game and minds are already made up.

Yeah...
Started seeing a lot of posts like this right before the house passed it

Josh Marshall @joshtpm

Getting the sense that 23-25 million people are going to lose their health insurance.

Matt Fuller @MEPFuller

Trust me when I tell you this: Senate Republicans are closer than ever to repealing Obamacare.
This seems like crazy to me. I didn't think they will do it so soon.

The only thing people are going to remember about that debate is what Karen Handel said about a livable wage.

No one watches these things and they're used mainly just to get sound bites for commercials.

I missed the beginning of the debate, so keep that in mind. But this was his one shining moment. She demolishes him from here on out, only because she gets visibly passionate and goes on the attack, not just on him but on Democrats in general.

My problem with Ossaff's performance in this debate was exactly what you highlighted. In his effort to seem above it, he somewhat crosses the line into above it all -- in other words, detached. Which is my general issue with how Democrats approach campaigning. You have to allow yourself to get emotional. The risk you run with staying composed is coming across as aloof. Every time she mentioned Obamacare he should have raked her over the coals with AHCA.

Luckily this debate is late in the game and minds are already made up.

You also have to consider the district. Passionate speeches about the underprivileged in GA-06 isn't a good fit. Ossoff will not win without significant crossover voting.

I'm super excited for his race. This is a really good shot.

royalan

The only thing people are going to remember about that debate is what Karen Handel said about a livable wage.

No one watches these things and they're used mainly just to get sound bites for commercials.

Stick a pin in it: I don't think her soundbite on a livable wage will resonate more than her constant attacks on Obamacare or his San Francisco values.

Luckily, I don't think this debate will move the needle either way. But I was expecting better from him. And what worries me is that Ossaff is being advised by the national Dem machine at this stage: this better not be a sneak peak of their what they have planned moving forward, because his performance was pathetic.

We did it! We finally did it!

I am hopeful after all of brownback's shit we might elect a governor with an ounce of sense. It probably won't be a democrat, but it might be a moderate republican at least.

Hey there from Missouri.

Not gonna happen in KS. Even here in Missouri. Only reason this thing changed was because moderate republicans were voted in the big city areas who realized these taxes are finally starting to hurt them.

Expect the continuation of anti abortion anti poor and more of the border war with Missouri.

We're not doing so hot over here either if it makes you feel any better. Missouri just passed a law that wont allow KCMO to up the minimum wage. Fucking rural Republicans ruin everything.

Averon

I am not at all shocked that the Senate GOP may follow the craziness from the House. A lot of people give the Senate GOP undue benefit of the doubt that they aren't just as radical as their House peers.

Holmes

In the OT thread, someone said early voting wasn't looking good for Osoff. Any truth to this and should I worry yet?
DeKalb early voting numbers are way up compared to the first round and Cobb numbers are down. Ultimately it will come to turnout, with Ossoff having an easier job of getting his first round voters back to the polls while Handel needs to consolidate support from five other candidates and get them all to the polls.

johnsmith

remember me
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336683-eric-trump-dems-not-even-people

Eric Trump continues to be a waste of flesh

President Trump’s son Eric Trump on Tuesday said Democrats are “not even people” to him after their obstruction of his father’s agenda.

“I’ve never seen hatred like this,” he said on Fox News’s “Hannity” Tuesday night. “To me, they’re not even people. It’s so, so sad. Morality’s just gone, morals have flown out the window and we deserve so much better than this as a country."

“You see the Democratic Party, they’re imploding. They’re imploding. They became obstructionists because they have no message of their own.”

Trump additionally criticized the Democratic National Committee’s (DNC) leadership without directly naming Chairman Tom Perez.

“You see the head of the DNC, who is a total whack job,” he told host Sean Hannity. “There’s no leadership there.”

daedalius

Hey there from Missouri.

Not gonna happen in KS. Even here in Missouri. Only reason this thing changed was because moderate republicans were voted in the big city areas who realized these taxes are finally starting to hurt them.

Expect the continuation of anti abortion anti poor and more of the border war with Missouri.

We're not doing so hot over here either if it makes you feel any better. Missouri just passed a law that wont allow KCMO to up the minimum wage. Fucking rural Republicans ruin everything.

They really do

How does that expression go? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones? They've stroked fear and hatred for years and have been the ultimate obstructionists, now when there's resistance to his shit father's "agenda", he goes to cry to Hannity about it. It's so ironic, it's perfect.

I think its current proper use is:

People in houses made of covfefe shouldn't throw covfefe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom