• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizeezyc

My favorite bit about this btw, and how badly they would F themselves actually passing the form of this bill:

"For an older Obamacare enrollee, the problem would be even more acute, because insurers would be allowed to charge the oldest enrollees five times as much as the youngest enrollees. This would have the result of raising premiums for Obamacare enrollees in their 60s.

CBO estimates that a 64-year-old earning $26,500 would see their annual tax credit decline from $13,600 to $4,900. The amount they pay out of pocket for their premiums, meanwhile, would go up from $1,700 in annual premiums under current law to $14,600 under AHCA. Right now, with the tax credit, that person spends very little of her own money on a premium. Under the new bill, she’d spend nearly half her annual income on health insurance."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/4/15544238/acha-winners-losers-obamacare-plan

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think I found the amendment:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2192/text

To amend the Public Health Service Act to eliminate the non-application of certain State waiver provisions to Members of Congress and congressional staff.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. ELIMINATION OF NON-APPLICATION OF CERTAIN STATE WAIVER PROVISIONS TO MEMBERS OF CONGRESS AND CONGRESSIONAL STAFF.

pigeon

Banned
Is the Senate vote required for this to pass a majority 50 or 60 under reconciliation? Nobody's making this clear and it seems pretty important.

Nobody knows.

Each separate provision of the law must be judged as being germane to the budget. If it is not, it requires 60 votes. The parliamentarian decides this for each provision and she hasn't made any public statements. Nor will she until the point of order is actually raised.

The entire law must also not increase the deficit within the budget window. If it does, it requires 60 votes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Nobody knows.

Each separate provision of the law must be judged as being germane to the budget. If it is not, it requires 60 votes. The parliamentarian decides this for each provision and she hasn't made any public statements. Nor will she until the point of order is actually raised.

The entire law must also not increase the deficit within the budget window. If it does, it requires 60 votes.

Who is the parliamentarian, and how is that position decided?

My guess is that because seemingly nothing about this has changed and none of the things republicans have ran on (like the state lines thing) are included is because they can't be.

I can imagine they only pushed this through as is because they won't need dem votes to pass it

Slizeezyc

My guess is that because seemingly nothing about this has changed and none of the things republicans have ran on (like the state lines thing) are included is because they can't be.

I can imagine they only pushed this through as is because they won't need dem votes to pass it

I mean this is a more conservative version of what was already put up, it's going to be super awkward now in the Senate because it's even worse for them than what was already maybe going to end up on their doorstep. The House intentionally fucked the Senate, which seems very Republican/Freedom Caucus/Trump/Ryan thing to do based on their recent history.

Sibylus

Banned
24 million people in destitution and these ghouls are all grinning. Every day it gets a little bit harder to argue for a peaceful restoration of democracy.

Does this vote basically say that republican congressmen dont fear thier constituents? It sounds like they believe they'll get thier votes even if they take thier healthcare away.

Chumley

Banned
24 million people in destitution and these ghouls are all grinning. Every day it gets a little bit harder to argue for a peaceful restoration of democracy.

2018 is it. If it doesn't happen then, there is no peaceful option left, and everyone on the fence about leaving the country will actually do it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I have another suggestion for a new ethical requirement: if you support taking away people's healthcare, you get pushed into a volcano.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well I'll be attending a live show of Pod Save America this weekend with Kamala Harris as a guest. The show should be quite interesting with Trumpcare passing the house.

Kusagari

Reince's football analogy is actually pretty fitting. By the words he used, he basically said Trump kicked a touchback.

Which is hilariously accurate, considering they've won nothing with the Senate getting ready to butcher this thing and send the entire healthcare situation back to the 20 yard line.

Sibylus

Banned
2018 is it. If it doesn't happen then, there is no peaceful option left, and everyone on the fence about leaving the country will actually do it.

I would consider the holding of free and fair elections in 2018 a wild-eyed blessing at this rate, and far too long to wait.

jtb

Banned
Does this vote basically say that republican congressmen dont fear thier constituents? It sounds like they believe they'll get thier votes even if they take thier healthcare away.

You're going to see a lot of early retirements, too. Push one last hurrah out the door before leaving.

I mean, the logic makes sense. If you're going to lose your seat no matter what, you may as well do something you "believe" in.

Slizeezyc

https://twitter.com/philipaklein/status/860211993571098624

Like, all this celebration for the trash they passed in the house, and the senate is literally throwing it into the garbage and writing their own bill.

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so fucking terrifying

The ACA fixes aren't even *that* hard to make that would really move this forward in a positive way for most everyone; I find that the more baffling part, but the hardcore right-wing constituents just have too much sway in the House to say "we fixed Obamacare" and not get in trouble.

NeoXChaos

well atleast most of them don't. Most of these guys will be safe to return in 2019. It's the swing/lean red or blue R seats that should be worried.

@ASimendinger

Americans will look at Rose Garden celebration PIX and think the Affordable Care Act was repealed and replaced. (And that's the messaging)

Basically, even if this dies in the Senate. Many Americans will now think their Obamacare is Trumpcare and like it more than they do today while thinking the benefits they are getting is due to Trump.

Slizeezyc

So you can barely say that they passed anything.

Shouldn't this be the top of things to be talking about right now?

I mean we've already been talking about it. But you have to cover the vote and that it passed first, at least. It's like the sugar high before the CBO score and all the people against it etc. in the Senate and medical field are the fat and downer that come after the sugar high.

Slizeezyc

Basically, even if this dies in the Senate. Many Americans will now think their Obamacare is Trumpcare and like it more than they do today while thinking the benefits they are getting is due to Trump.

To be fair, there were plenty of reports that they already felt this way based on some non-existent tax credit etc. from right after he took office. Also the concept that people like the ACA but not Obamacare and on and on. Messaging is always muddled here, this is not a new thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom