• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

What does a hung parliament mean, practically speaking? May is still in charge, right? Just can't get legislation through?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
In about 6 days and 22 hours, we will be 10% of the way through Trump's term.

Uh guys hang on, in 2015 the exit polls also said the Tories were short of a majority and they got it

(yes, I'm no fun at a party)

Barely. They only got 6 seats higher than a majority in 15. They're in a worse position here.

Generally, the British exit poll is very accurate.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Live free die free in a pauper's grave at an early age fam.
Sweet! I get to reference lucky ducky twice this week.

6a00d8341c5f3053ef013485dc2183970c-800wi

What does a hung parliament mean, practically speaking? May is still in charge, right? Just can't get legislation through?

Technically she remains PM until she resigns or Parliament votes her out with a vote of no confidence (at least afaik with regard to the latter). However, she would essentially be powerless if she can't command a majority in the Commons (so in case of a hung parliament, I expect her to resign tomorrow in fact).

And even if the projections turn out to be not that accurate and the Tories somehow manage to retain a slim majority, she's toast anyway, because she called that election with the aim to win a sizable majority. They're probably already sharpening their knives at the party headquarters...

Seems being comfy with Trump has backfired. It takes skill to turn a snap election designed to consolidate power into a total clusterfuck like this.

Teggy

Technically she remains PM until she resigns or Parliament votes her out with a vote of no confidence (at least afaik with regard to the latter). However, she would essentially be powerless if she can't command a majority in the Commons (so in case of a hung parliament, I expect her to resign tomorrow in fact).

And even if the projections turn out to be not that accurate and the Tories somehow manage to retain a slim majority, she's toast anyway, because she called that election with the aim to win a sizable majority. They're probably already sharpening their knives at the party headquarters...

How would a new PM be chosen?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Barely. They only got 6 seats higher than a majority in 15. They're in a worse position here.

Generally, the British exit poll is very accurate.

Hasn't been more than 15 seats odd in 25 years.

How would a new PM be chosen?

PMs are appointed by the Queen. However, convention dictates that she'll only appoint someone who can command a majority in the Commons. If the result is indeed a hung parliament, expect difficult negotiations among the various parties first, because the political system of the UK is not really geared towards coalition governments.

As soon as some kind of deal is reached, the Queen will appoint the respective party leader as PM. There could also be a minority government, but that's going to be highly unstable. Not really the way you'd want to go into the Brexit negotiations.

Teggy

PMs are appointed by the Queen. However, convention dictates that she'll only appoint someone who can command a majority in the Commons. If the result is indeed a hung parliament, expect difficult negotiations among the various parties first, because the political system of the UK is not really geared towards coalition governments.

As soon as some kind of deal is reached, the Queen will appoint the respective party leader as PM. There could also be a minority government, but that's going to be highly unstable. Not really the way you'd want to go into the Brexit negotiations.

I can see why the US broke away from a parliamentary government in favor of a more logical one where the loser of the popular vote becomes president.

Kevinroc

Activist Ben Wikler on how to stop Trumpcare.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/872911051628707841

Folks, if you're wondering what to do now that Comey has testified: DEFCON 5 ON TRUMPCARE. ALL HANDS ON DECK. Timeline & how to fight: 1/

(Actually, before the timeline & how to fight: it's actually Defcon 1, "nuclear war imminent," not Defcon 5, "normal readiness." Thx.) 1.5/

TIMELINE: The Senate GOP's plan is to pass this bill FAST—by June 30. Enough time to fight, no time to spare. Here are the steps. 2/

GOP is writing the bill now, in close touch with CBO. Their goal: send it to CBO for official score between now and Tue, unseen by public 3/

In other words, negotiations are nearly wrapped up on what's actually in their bill. What's leaking out is awful. But the bill is secret. 4/

They get it back from the CBO with official score ~2 weeks later—& fast-track it to Senate passage w/privileged status, ie no filibuster 5/

The week of June 26, the score will come out, the bill will be made public, the public will scream, and they'll grit teeth & pass it 6/

NO hearings w/ experts & affected witnesses, NO committee markups, NO consultation with Dems, NO town halls or public forums—undemocratic 7/

Senate learned their lesson from the House: silence is golden. Attention is the enemy. Comey testimony provides perfect cover. 8/

What I'm hearing on the Hill ranges from "they're within a vote or two" to "they have the votes." This is the doomsday scenario. BUT... 9/

Unlike the House vote, where most people only noticed the onrushing train in the final 48 hours, we have 3 weeks to make this toxic. 10/

Here's how we meet this moment and kill TrumpCare. 11/

1. PHONES. Senators are telling me that their phones have returned to normal, pre-Trump levels. A few dozen calls a day. That must end. 12/

The Bible has some good advice about how to remember the number to call Congress, which is 202-224-3121. Listen to the Bible. 13/

Save the 202-224-3121 in your phone as a contact. Put it as a favorite. Say "Hey Siri, remind me to call Congress at 10am on weekdays." 14/

Don't just call Congress—recruit callers. Type "Friends in Tennessee" into Facebook. You'll get a list. Ask 'em to call Sen. Alexander. 15/

Your friends in TN WV LA ME TN AR AZ CO SC NV AK & OH miss you! Don't neglect them! Get in touch & ask 'em to call Congress re Trumpcare 16/

It's GREAT to call Congress and leave your opinion. Senate offices circulate call tallies every day. But calls can go even further: 17/

When you call a Senate office, ask to speak to the relevant Health Legislative Assistant. Hey look, a list of staffer names! 18/

When you get through, explain that you're a constituent and you have grave concerns about how the bill will affect you. Then explain WHY 19/

These staffers are human beings. They work on health care because they care about health. Even if their bosses don't. Tell your story. 20/

What you want is for health staffers to be telling their bosses that they've spent all day with the phone from freaked-out constituents 21/

And then you want to ASK FOR A MEETING, before the vote. With state staffers (or in DC, if you can come). Promise to bring a group. 22/

If you get the meeting with your Senator or their staffers, bring a ton of people & make it huge. @MoveOn can help. (DM me.) 23/

If you don't get the meeting, no problem. You should still recruit a group & show up at Senators' offices. Time to break out the signs. 24/

Incidentally, it's also worth EMAILING the legislative assistants w/personal notes. Here's how to figure out Hill staff email addresses 25/

If I, Ben Wikler, worked for Sen. Murkowski, (I don't; Chelsea Holt is her health LA), I'd be ben.wikler@murkowski.senate.gov. Get it? 26/

So: CALL every day. Ask for health staffers. Email them, too. VISIT local offices—for scheduled meetings or to protest. Bring friends. 27/

Find the letters to the editor submission email address for local papers in your state & send them your story, mentioning your Senator. 28/

And mark your calendar for the last week of June, esp Wed-Fri. There should literally be round the clock vigils. You'll be needed then. 29/

If you believe that nobody should be denied health care because they're sick or can't pay, this is the time to fight. 30/

If you don't think families should be one accident or illness away from bankruptcy, this is the time to fight. 31/

If you think a decent society doesn't abandon those who need help the most, this is the time to fight. 32/

Defeating Trumpcare isn't the end of the battle. We need a system that affordably covers everyone. And we won't give up if we lose. But 33/

This is a moment in politics when lives are on the line.
Our extraordinary power as citizens becomes a duty to act.
#ProtectOurCare.
/end

And here are links to specific tweets with info Wikler mentioned in the tweets themselves.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/872918115687989252

Contains numbers for R senators to call (even ones who are publicly turning to support Trumpcare)

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/872918115687989252

The list of staffer names.

And it was "storified."

https://storify.com/DavidPerlman/defcon-1-how-to-fight-ahca

If that makes it easier.

Ceylan Yeginsu‏Verified account
@CeylanWrites
Follow
More
Tim Bale:" It would not entirely surprise me if @SadiqKhan became the next Prime Minister of the UK." #GE2017

Highly unlikely, but I would laugh my ass off

I can see why the US broke away from a parliamentary government in favor of a more logical one where the loser of the popular vote becomes president.

The voting systems of the UK and the US suck ass for different reasons ;-)

If you're looking for a parliamentary system with a pretty sensible voting system, Germany provides a good example. It has the advantage of having only been established in the mid twentieth century, so they were able to avoid the mistakes of those older experiments in democracy.

I believe that the GOP's incentive structure is basically broken at this point.

They're screwed if they don't pass AHCA. They're screwed if they do pass AHCA.

Since the only policy they believe in is tax cuts for the wealthy, if the electoral incentives are equal, they'll just defer to their core ideology. They're true believers.

Detached from morality (despite being The Morality Party)

Detached from ethics (despite such lip service over the years)

Detached from a functioning ideology (despite this being the genesis of the modern GOP)

Detached from the responsibility of crafting and executing on functional legislation (despite having plans aplenty for years)

Funny how that works huh?

M24uddA.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Because both Dem presidential candidates who have tried to base their primary coalitions out of white rural Americans have failed to do it. (Hillary, '08, Sanders, '16)

...you have very little idea about British politics, don't you?

Corbyn didn't go anywhere near the Shire vote.

kirblar

Please explain how a candidate like Sanders or Corbyn emerges in the United States from anything other than white rural populism.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Please explain how a candidate like Sanders or Corbyn emerges in the United States from anything other than white rural populism.

I mean, that's on the US primaries, not the candidate. If the Democratic primaries are set up in such a way that they generate candidates who lose the presidential, you need to change the primary system.

And YOU apparently have little idea about American politics.

I mean, that's on the US primaries, not the candidate. If the Democratic primaries are set up in such a way that they generate candidates who lose the presidential, you need to change the primary system.

So basically, you want the Democratic primaries to be less democratic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Labour's "primary" (leadership election) was considerably more open than the Democrat's. So I think my answer is pretty comfortably "nah".

ACA has become more popular with Democrats since repeal started looking real, not with Republicans.

The Republicans voting for these senators and congressmen are either too partisan or too stupid to care about how their elected officials are about to gut their healthcare, and I don't see a significant bloc of them suddenly having a come to Jesus moment that motivates them to vote Democrat next year in retaliation for this. There's no snapping out of it. Being a Republican and hating Democrats is so core to how many of these people identify themselves in this country that they'd sooner sacrifice their healthcare and well-being than vote D.

I would love to be wrong, and see a great blue wave in ACA-reliant red states and districts next year. But after years and years of this shit, now crystallized in a Republican government led by Donald Trump, I am just not convinced at all that the fever will ever break here.

This x100. There is no breaking that fever, even if the AHCA kicks them all off healthcare, they'll still blindly vote (R). Even if their R Senator came to their house and shit on their dinner table after finger-banging their mom in front of them, they'd still chant "MAGA" while voting (R) afterward.

What can break the fever?

Labour's "primary" (leadership election) was considerably more open than the Democrat's. So I think my answer is pretty comfortably "nah".

Except it was Hillary who won more of the actual PRIMARIES while Bernie was winning more of the Caucuses.

And "open" primaries are dumb. The only excuse for voting in the democratic primaries and not being registered as a democrat is if you are in a state that has jungle primaries.

kirblar

It's not set up in a way that generates "candidates who lose the presidential." American politics works on a pendulum in most circumstances and you can't avoid hitting the end. The systemic issue we're now running into is the electoral college systemically overweighting white rural voters nationwide, and to fix that, you need to end run around it. (Which you can do if you can get to the other end of the pendulum w/ massive gains in a scenario without screwing it up w/ a Carter or Trump-type situation.)
kirblar's point is lol but I don't think this is true? you have to pay for membership to vote Labour right?
I don't understand how "Democrats are the party of cosmopolitan urban areas" is "lol". Populism in the US is historically white and rural, and Clinton-'08 and Sanders-'16 both tried to play off the "WWC" vote as their primary bloc and failed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
kirblar's point is lol but I don't think this is true? you have to pay for membership to vote Labour right?

£1.00 ($1.28) if you're unemployed, otherwise £3.00 ($3.84). It's not arduous. In return, you have a single constituency AV election which essentially anyone can participate in and where you can vote online.

£1.00 ($1.28) if you're unemployed, otherwise £3.00 ($3.84). It's not arduous. In return, you have a single constituency AV election which essentially anyone can participate in and where you can vote online.
maybe I'm just overrating the fee because that seems kind of crazy here

but fwiw I think membership fee party membership is very cool in healthy multiparty democracies

can I move to the UK pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom