• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
A world of Bernies and Corbyns
giphy.gif

Labour's "primary" (leadership election) was considerably more open than the Democrat's. So I think my answer is pretty comfortably "nah".

Number of people who voted for Corbyn in Leadership race: 168,216

Number of people who voted for Clinton in Primaries: 16,914,722

UK population: 65.14 million
US Population: 321.4 million

Percentage of population that chose Corbyn: 0.2%
Percentage of population that chose Clinton: 5%

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have no doubt Trump will throw Flynn (which we started to see signs of today), Sessions, and Kushner under the bus to save his own hide. I fully expect it over the next 18 months.

*blink*

*blink*

(not that the US is perfect or doing great, but Canada is right there.)
Canada only has 3 parties other than BQ and Greens and the NDP is way less powerful than Labour

parties with healthier multiparty democracies have better voting systems than FPTP but I'll take what I can get in the anglosphere

Gruco

Banned

So, we have this and we have Comey saying that he knew Sessions would recuse well in advance of the moment we all realized that he committed perjury.

Mueller coming for Trump, for Flynn, for Jared, for Pence, and for Sessions.

Steve Bannon: the moral north star of Trump's inner circle.

Actually, I would watch a sitcom about Bannon and Priebus running the country by themselves because literally everyone else went to prison.

=======

Hopefully Ossoff can shake this out. That, + a bad CBO score right after + a show of force (calls, rally, etc) as a 1-2-3 combo seem like the last best hope.

kirblar

Ossoff may be part of the reason you're seeing the panic mode on pushing the ACHA through. If he wins, it's an even harder sell.
@mkraju

In private briefing, Comey told sens Sessions may have had a third meeting with Kislyak - at Mayflower hotel. Based on Russian intercepts
More detail. The spec about the Mayflower appears to have been accurate.

Gruco

Banned
Ossoff may be part of the reason you're seeing the panic mode on pushing the ACHA through. If he wins, it's an even harder sell.

By this do you mean that they're more worried about low enthusiasm from under-delivering than from a backlash? Or that they're already in "fuck it, let's burn it down on the way out the door" mode?

kirblar

By this do you mean that they're more worried about low enthusiasm from under-delivering than from a backlash? Or that they're already in "fuck it, let's burn it down on the way out the door" mode?
More that you need to keep your marginal votes on board, and you can't have them panicking.

The thing about the AHCA is, if they pass it, even if you got to sit out? It doesn't matter. It'll take you down with it regardless. Dems learned that the hard way w/ the ACA.

kess

The fluidity in the British constituencies is really impressive. Newcastle East, for example, just swung 18% to Labour at the highest percentage since 1945...

People on the right clinging onto desperate strawmen is fucking surreal. ("Speaking of impeachment, look who was impeached twenty years ago *insert Bill Clinton jpg*")

Gruco

Banned
More that you need to keep your marginal votes on board, and you can't have them panicking.

The thing about the AHCA is, if they pass it, even if you got to sit out? It doesn't matter. It'll take you down with it regardless. Dems learned that the hard way w/ the ACA.

Ah, I misunderstood your post. Yeah, I've held this as the fundamental theorem of fighting Trump. The general electorate needs to be as scary to the GOP as their primary electorate has been. They'll feel the ability to be degenerates with impunity until we start collecting scalps.

The fluidity in the British constituencies is really impressive. Newcastle East, for example, just swung 18% to Labour at the highest percentage since 1945...

Well, even though the Tories are terrible, the center of their party is more Susan Collins than whatever yahoo is the center of the GOP right now.

So it's a lot easier to buy some of their BS I'd you're a low info voter.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wouldn't read too much into this. Theresa mays just a fuckin loser who uses her shoes to distract the press from how much she sucks

kirblar

I wouldn't read too much into this. Theresa mays just a fuckin loser who uses her shoes to distract the press from how much she sucks
She's a conservative who managed to not only not leverage two terrorist attacks that occurred shortly before the election, but to instead use them to shoot herself in the foot multiple times.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
She's a conservative who managed to not only not leverage two terrorist attacks that occurred shortly before the election, but to instead use them to shoot herself in the foot multiple times.
Shoot herself in the shoes

Tommy DJ

Yeah I couldn't believe she straight up said "fuck human rights" in public. I know the United Kingdom has gone through a right wing lurch and I think she was trying to evoke Trump to bring conservatives/UKIP to the roost.

But why the hell would you say that in the way she said it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
£1.00 ($1.28) if you're unemployed, otherwise £3.00 ($3.84). It's not arduous. In return, you have a single constituency AV election which essentially anyone can participate in and where you can vote online.

Wait, you bitched about the US Dems having closed primaries cause the state helps pay for it.
But you are OK with requiring a fee to vote in a primary?

You have some weird positions, like some sort of hybrid libertarian ideology for voting where governments should not subsidize voting in primaries.

Tommy DJ

but everyone here told me that because of corbyn the tories would rule the uk for 1000 years

Realistically she should have. But, like Clinton, she and the Tories seem to have said and done some really dumb shit. The handling of Brexit so far looks really terrible from an outsider's point of view as it looks like the Tories are trying to suck Trump's dick at the expense of the European mainland. With Trump's first few months in government, do you really want to be doing that?

Like I still can't understand why you would say that you would get rid of human rights laws if they prevented anti-terrorism legislation in the way she did. Normally you don't even mention human rights laws when promoting authoritarian masked as anti-terrorism legislation because people start thinking "slippery slope".

Ogodei

I see BritGAF hooting & celebrating in OT. That should've been us on November 8th.

tumblr_inline_o3x6ohuH581rvmil5_500.jpg

Meh. Clintonverse would have its own problems, like the fact that we couldn't have flipped the House even if we might've tied the Senate (a world where Clinton narrowly won on election night is a world where we probably tossed Toomey and Ron Johnson too), and the Senate would already be debating articles of impeachment tossed over from Paul Ryan while Trump TV fomented a toxic wave election in 2018 and the Democrats' decade-long slide from power at lower levels only got worse.

Plus side is Gorsuch wouldn't have been seated and we'd still be in the Paris Accords, but it would be a tenuous situation.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, you bitched about the US Dems having closed primaries cause the state helps pay for it.
But you are OK with requiring a fee to vote in a primary?

You have some weird positions, like some sort of hybrid libertarian ideology for voting where governments should not subsidize voting in primaries.

That's not quite my position. I think that if the state is going to pay, then primaries ought to be open. If primaries are not open, then they're not a public affair, and the public has no business subsidizing them.

Kusagari

Republicans winning in 2016 was probably the best thing for the future of the Democratic Party overall. Unfortunately we ended up with the Orange Menace being that Republican.

Grym

Looking forward to Tuesday

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/08/53214...-new-questions-about-jeff-sessions-and-russia

Former FBI director James Comey may have done more damage to Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday than even President Trump, whom Comey publicly accused of waving him off part of the Russia investigation.

Sessions will soon face questions from senators. He is scheduled to testify on Tuesday in a committee hearing about the 2018 budget for the Department of Justice — but it's a pretty sure bet that Russia will come up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's not quite my position. I think that if the state is going to pay, then primaries ought to be open. If primaries are not open, then they're not a public affair, and the public has no business subsidizing them.

I mean, you can have that opinion. But you do realize it sounds really libertarian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom