• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"President Trump, will you continue former President Obama's policy of not admitting Puerto Rico as a state?"

Checkmate.

It's something I am looking at very carefully, me and my staff, because we have to really. I know it would be wonderful for the people of Puerto Rico to join our great country, our great union, they would really like to, but we have to make sure it's great for the rest of the country. But we'll look into it very carefully, because really you have to, you really do, people voted in this process, in such great numbers, I think they had more votes than ever before when they did this thing previously. The people of Puerto Rico are great, they really are, I have known many Puerto Ricans in my life, great people, and I think they really want to join us now because they know we're going to make this country great again, they believe it more than a lot of democrats really, more than a lot of folks in the fake news media for sure, and maybe some think we'll build another wall like the one we are building now across the border with Mexico, as you know, and, that's going very well by the way, it's way ahead of schedule, it's been going very well, but I think it could go even faster if the Democrats supported it, but they don't want to. But I think once it's more advanced, I think they'll come along and support it not to lose face, because otherwise they'll have to say there's still no wall, where's the wall? But it will be obvious to everyone that there is one, you might even see it from space, like the great wall in China! You can see it from space! So I think they'll support it in the end.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Cut wasteful spending" is such a great political slogan because it's absolutely meaningless.

Yep, everybody has different definitions of what is wasteful. Pushing for efficiency is at least more honest.

daedalius

So a friend of mine told me about a local comic artist that is pretty deep in the scene, so I was trying to chat him up a bit.

Of course tonight, Facebook notifies me that he liked a page called "US Patriots For Donald Trump!" Before that, he commented on a Breitbart post.

Now of course I don't even want to talk to this guy... ever. With Trump I feel like these political divides are more toxic than ever, I can't just ignore it when I am talking to someone. My wife literally wanted our family to never have contact with my parents ever again.

I realize I am part of the partisan problem, but how the fuck am I supposed to talk to someone who is so deep into Breitbart and other shitty internet garbage? (pretty sure my father still listens to Limbaugh every fucking day)

Man, fuck Trump.

Sorry, had to vent.

So a friend of mine told me about a local comic artist that is pretty deep in the scene, so I was trying to chat him up a bit.

Of course tonight, Facebook notifies me that he liked a page called "US Patriots For Donald Trump!" Before that, he commented on a Breitbart post.

Now of course I don't even want to talk to this guy... ever. With Trump I feel like these political divides are more toxic than ever, I can't just ignore it when I am talking to someone. My wife literally wanted our family to never have contact with my parents ever again.

I realize I am part of the partisan problem, but how the fuck am I supposed to talk to someone who is so deep into Breitbart and other shitty internet garbage? (pretty sure my father still listens to Limbaugh every fucking day)

Man, fuck Trump.

Sorry, had to vent.
Yeah, I feel like it's different with people you already know (family, friends from school/growing up etc.) versus just meeting someone for the first time.

Luckily my work is in theatre which is 90% liberal although there are plenty of third party/both sides assholes too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Man, fuck Trump.

Sorry, had to vent.

Makes me somewhat grateful that my father is only drenched in Fox News and still believes Snopes over the crazy stories on facebook and email he gets.

I can't imagine what it'd be like if he fell all the way into the fake news rabbithole of breitbart and chain letters.

daedalius

Makes me somewhat grateful that my father is only drenched in Fox News and still believes Snopes over the crazy stories on facebook and email he gets.

I can't imagine what it'd be like if he fell all the way into the fake news rabbithole of breitbart and chain letters.

I posted a rant about pussy grabbing when Trump was elected, my father told me a while later that I should be careful posting 'that kind of stuff' on social media. But then he backtracked, said 'well, you're an independent, so I guess that wouldn't matter.'

I just looked at him funny, because I couldn't really figure out what the fuck he was saying, but I'm pretty sure he was saying 'well, you're outing yourself as a democrat, so a republican wouldn't want to hire you in the future'. At least, I think so; but who knows.

I'm pretty sure if someone was offended in the future, because they were a republican, I'd be happy to remind them they voted in a guy who bragged about grabbing women's pussies before getting up and walking out.

He also told me a little while back that 'the daily show' will rot my brain. I suppressed the urge to ask about his daily Limbaugh/The Five habit.

Loxley

John Oliver closed out this week's episode of Last Week Tonight (which focused on the UK election and Brexit) with a very special guest:

Lord Buckethead himself XD

Pixieking

Banned
A very interesting article on coverage of Trump in the media:

Is media coverage of Trump too negative? You're asking the wrong question.

Margaret Sullivan is The Washington Post's media columnist. Previously, she was The New York Times public editor, and the chief editor of The Buffalo News, her hometown paper.

She was the Public Editor immediately prior to Liz Spayd, and I think did good work in the role which was then entirely done by Spayd.

Choice quote, which should also be thought of in relation to the 2016 campaign and negative coverage of Hillary:

Do news sites give serious, sustained attention to policy issues as well as publishing innumerable hot takes about the ­personality-driven dust-up of the moment?

Harvard professor Thomas E. Patterson, the study's author, sees trouble on that last point.

”The press is focusing on personality, not substance," he said recently on public radio's ”On the Media" program. And that reflects ”not a partisan bias but a journalistic bias," the tendency to seek out conflict. (No mystery there — it's more interesting.)

”It's the press in its usual mode, and that erodes public trust," Patterson said.

As a person who lives with someone that did fall into the fake news rabbithole, I can tell you it's draining

DCHZTa0VoAEWARw.jpg:large

Ryuuroden

Hey at least cars still exist in that game, God forbid such a terrible timeline comes to pass.

I do think banning cars is probably a smart move in the medium term but smart moves + culturally sensitive things like cars is a recipe for disaster

What are the rules for this ban? How am I supposed to transport all my work tools to job sites in rural areas or hell, any area, I have 8 cordless drills, 2 jigsaws, 2 hammer drills, 2 corded drills, grinder, belt sander, 2 screw boxes plus extra stock, metal band saw, laser levels, tool boxes, miter saw, table saw, extra cabinet fillers and a bunch of other odds and ends per truck. My company also covers 8 states. Employees have to travel there too and there's only room for 2 per van so how are they supposed to get there without a personal vehicle? I get that the proposed ban might not ban work vehicles but construction workers also have many personal tools they carry with them as well. I'm just saying its not a black and white issue, just because some people don't need cars doesn't mean everyone doesn't need cars. That's liberal elitist east and west coast talk where you have all that federal supported public transit. Us liberals in "flyover" country as the east coast elite call it don't have the options you have for the longer distances we have to travel. Give me the ability to purchase efficient electric work vehicles that can travel long distances instead and ill happily invest in it. As it is, I use the most fuel efficient vehicles I can find as it is because it just makes fiscal sense.

Wilsongt

Fox and Friends has 2 minutes of talking heads and 5 minutes if commercials. They know who their target audience is. A rotting mango with the attention span of a fly looking for a ripe pile of shit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't get McCain. Him publicly slamming Trump yesterday with his "Obama was a better leader" comment was out of nowhere.

Fox and Friends has 2 minutes of talking heads and 5 minutes if commercials. They know who their target audience is. A rotting mango with the attention span of a fly looking for a ripe pile of shit.

Same scheduling structure as morning network TV game shows. Old people don't seem to mind, I guess.

I don't get McCain. Him publicly slamming Trump yesterday with his "Obama was a better leader" comment was out of nowhere.

Same scheduling structure as morning network TV game shows. Old people don't seem to mind, I guess.

My current theory is that forces are currently at play in the GOP and we see this in veiled comments and random accurate hot takes like this before the speaker dives back into silence or non-commital pablum. Hopefully the rather spineless patriot/self-preservation crowd wins the scrum, as the fuckery going on now is getting harder for the GOP as a whole to ignore.

I don't want to click the link, especially at work. Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what this is?

Gamergator makes a game about Gator Thangs, manages to stay in the shadows with that until they got to the MS stage, alt-righters then play victim when the lights come searchin'.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Matt Ford‏Verified account @fordm

Growing theme amomg pro-Trump allies and media figures in recent days: laying the groundwork for ousting Mueller.

It's actually moving forward. Out of nowhere last night and this morning, Gingrich, Ingraham, and Coulter brought up that Mueller isn't needed any more. It's going to spread like wildfire.

I cannot believe they're actually trying to plant the seeds for this. This would be an insane move.

Something must have happened to the Obamacare repeal this weekend, because they're back to pessimism and "let's just vote on it and have it fail so we can end it" stuff again

It's actually moving forward. Out of nowhere last night and this morning, Gingrich, Ingraham, and Coulter brought up that Mueller isn't needed any more. It's going to spread like wildfire.

I cannot believe they're actually trying to plant the seeds for this. This would be an insane move.

This would be an absolutely crazy move that would send ripples through the entire GOP.

The leaks would be unreal.

Wilsongt

Yep. I heard the Gingrich soundbite this morning.

I hope one day there will be something that comes to light that ends up silencing these Trump brown nosers.

It's just honestly pathetic that there are people choosing Donald Trump of all people to throw away any shred of dignity and influence they might have had with normal people.

It's been 1 year since the Pulse nightclub shooting in my town and the country rewarded the LGBT community with:

-local radio/news going out of its way to say it wasn't an attack on LGBT but instead all Americans
-using it as a means to be xenophobic and try to wedge the LGBT community against foreign religions
-the country as a whole pushing super hard to make it easier for people to get guns
-electing one the the most anti-LGBT governments in recent time
-erasing us from the census again

Thanks USA, guess you won't be happy until you can do even more to us, but you'll still demand we be patriotic.

Literally Watergate. Firing the Special Counsel didn't exactly... work out that well for Nixon, to put it mildly. But if they really want to go down that rabbit hole, I suppose they're welcome to it.

What was MS thinking showing that alt-right fanfiction on stage? Not a good look.

Probably didn't know. I certainly had never heard of it but liked the art style. If the plot is alt right, then I'll pass. If not, then I'll check it out
by pirating it. None of my money is going to that guy.

I honestly have no idea what the hell would happen if they tried firing Mueller. It might be their only option at this point, but the IC may go ham on the GOP. They'd never trust them again that's for damn sure.

Activists are sounding the alarm again, saying not enough people are calling in to complain about Trumpcare. Might be a case of the GOP trying to lower expectations yet again.

That doesn't seem to be the case. The bill is clearly struggling and they're behind their original schedule (which was already an aggressive schedule with little room for delays).

The original plan was to have it to the CBO late last week. That never happened. Now they're struggling to get a draft to the CBO this week, yet there's no real indication that's going well.

If the CBO doesn't get it by Friday, this isn't getting voted on before their July 4th recess, which pretty much everyone in the senate has said would mean it's dead.

I don't think there's some devious master plan to use the media to lower expectations and then hit people over the head with it. I tend not to buy into such ideas because they seem way too complicated and difficult to pull off. I also don't really even get the point. If they know this is a bad bill for constituents, but are going to pass it no matter what, it's not really going to matter if they riot now or riot later.

My guess? That poll showing AHCA had a 17% approval rating came out last week and freaked everyone out.
If true, probably something like that. Or perhaps they have internal polling that suggests that GA-6 is indeed going really terrible for them and if so likely in large part because of the AHCA, and that's giving them pause.

Either way though, I'm just hesitant to let my guard down about this. I want it to be true and I want the thing to fail of course, but they managed to surprise me by finding a way to get it past the House somehow, so I'm definitely not ready to say they won't find a way to pull another rabbit of their hat until time actually is up for them.

Kevinroc

That doesn't seem to be the case. The bill is clearly struggling and they're behind their original schedule (which was already an aggressive schedule with little room for delays).

The original plan was to have it to the CBO late last week. That never happened. Now they're struggling to get a draft to the CBO this week, yet there's no real indication that's going well.

If the CBO doesn't get it by Friday, this isn't getting voted on before their July 4th recess, which pretty much everyone in the senate has said would mean it's dead.

I don't think there's some devious master plan to use the media to lower expectations and then hit people over the head with it. I tend not to buy into such ideas because they seem way too complicated and difficult to pull off. I also don't really even get the point. If they know this is a bad bill for constituents, but are going to pass it no matter what, it's not really going to matter if they riot now or riot later.

I can understand that attitude. And I certainly think there might be something to how bad a shape Trumpcare is doing in the Senate.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/874271777341493251

My mother called Toomey in PA. Staff told her they "don't know anything about any healthcare bill."

That's what "running scared" sounds like. Keep up the pressure!

I look at this response and wonder. But I feel like we've seen this song and dance before of Trumpcare on the ropes and it still pushes forward. So I take nothing for granted.

Paches

Yes, but 1) obstruction charges come from that firing and 2) you would think he's learned something

But to see a former speaker that's so spineless is really increasing my rage levels. I fucking hate Gingrich.

Was Gingrich like this in the 90s? I was too young to be following politics then, so I don't really know what he was like, but it feels like he has gotten more and more extreme over the years? I could use some education on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom