• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pelosi continuing to be House Democratic Leader going on...what 15 years or so...continues to utterly baffle me. And Hoyer's been her number two for that entire time too.

Whom would you suggest to replace her? I want her to be Speaker again, not least of all because I'll relish the series of "How Nancy Got Her Gavel Back" articles that will infuriate Republicans.

Can that be the thread title if the Democrats regain the House?

I've been burned too many times to get my hopes up, but I'd really love for this to be true. Outside of the political ramifications (and I think they're probably screwed no matter what they do at this point) I don't want millions of people to lose their coverage, and I'd rather Dems be able to focusing on fixing and expanding Obamacare once they get a trifecta rather than also needing to undo the damage of the AHCA.

This was something we were hearing randomly throughout his campaign and presidency- Obama is an introvert, and it drove a lot of people nuts cause they didn't understand not to take his lack of attention personally.

It reminds me of that Marlo quote from The Wire: "you want it to be one way, but it's the other way." I think a lot of leaders and interest groups within DC assumed Obama would walk in and rub shoulders with everyone, spread the love, etc. That's never been who he is. There's no question it led to some resentment and confusion, especially within the Congressional Black Caucus.

IMO Pelosi's issue was moreso not like Obama's leadership approach, but all wounds are healed when you win (passing healthcare). But even still, imagine Pelosi's disgust at the 2011 budget negotiations, which were perhaps the president's biggest mistake IMO.

I also wanna say the media overblows all this in regards to relations with republicans. Obama had a decent relationship with Boehner and a few republicans...didn't help a damn thing. Obama being nicer or inviting xyz to dinner or drinking with such and such wasn't going to accomplish jack shit.

Vixdean

The only thing that has a chance of passing is some sort of Obamacare opt out for states. Basically like the Medicaid expansion but for the entire law. The only tricky part of that is the taxes, as I guess only residents of opt-in states would be subject to the federal tax hikes that are part of the law. Of course, if they passed this, about the only states that would opt-out are red states with an economy large enough to sustain their own healthcare system and a populous stupid enough to go along with it. Basically just Texas and Florida. It would either be politically impossible or a guaranteed healthcare crisis anywhere else.

The only thing that has a chance of passing is some sort of Obamacare opt out for states. Basically like the Medicaid expansion but for the entire law. The only tricky part of that is the taxes, as I guess only residents of opt-in states would be subject to the federal tax hikes that are part of the law. Of course, if they passed this, about the only states that would opt-out are red states with an economy large enough to sustain their own healthcare system and a populous stupid enough to go along with it. Basically just Texas and Florida. It would either be politically impossible or a guaranteed healthcare crisis anywhere else.

So what you're really saying is Kansas is going to opt out

benjipwns

Banned
That's more surprising to me, given how much he hates Pelosi.
A cursory Google search I did about how Pelosi stays in power led to a story in which one anonymous source suggested she does it partly to block him from moving up as they hate each other and she's just trying to outlast him lol

I totally approve of this as a reason for her to be House Democrat Leader for Life and I say that having no specific opinion of Hoyer.

A cursory Google search I did about how Pelosi stays in power led to a story in which one anonymous source suggested she does it just to block him from moving up as they hate each other lol

Why do you think Elizabeth stays on the throne? To prevent Charles's ascension! Queens can be petty.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've been burned too many times to get my hopes up, but I'd really love for this to be true. Outside of the political ramifications (and I think they're probably screwed no matter what they do at this point) I don't want millions of people to lose their coverage, and I'd rather Dems be able to focusing on fixing and expanding Obamacare once they get a trifecta rather than also needing to undo the damage of the AHCA.

I noticed it too in a number of R senators' tone and confidence. Further and more tellingly one of them inferred it was really the house bill rather than the senate bill.

Sessions is just going to cite executive privilege for everything.

He can't cite executive privilege about his conversations with Comey. Did Comey ask Jeffy to protect him? Also no executive privilege about the exact parameters of his recusal. Did he recuse himself from the Manafort case? And of course there is no executive privilege to him answering, under oath, who he met with at the Mayflower Hotel.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He can't cite executive privilege about his conversations with Comey. Did Comey ask Jeffy to protect him? Also no executive privilege about the exact parameters of his recusal. Did he recuse himself from the Manafort case? And of course there is no executive privilege to him answering, under oath, who he met with at the Mayflower Hotel.

In reference to this:

Glenn Thrush‏Verified account @GlennThrush

This interminable cabinet spray, where everybody pays tribute to Trump, is one of the most exquisitely awkward public events I've ever seen.

This is a real response from a Breitbart writer:

Charlie Spiering‏Verified account @charliespiering 53m53 minutes ago
Replying to @GlennThrush @maggieNYT

Disagree. Very effective way to show Americans what his team is doing to make their country better.

These people are morons.

benjipwns

Banned
I want to say the first public cabinet meeting of the year is always like this, they introduce everybody and everybody talks about how sweet everything is and how great the President is. And then the President talks about how great the cabinet heads are and how this year is going to be awesome with jobs and no terrorism and bipartisanship.

It'd be funnier if after they went around the table then the President shit talked each of them on how they've disappointed him.

You know, like Festivus. Trump seems ideal to introduce this practice.

And obviously they would do the feats of strength after.

benjipwns

Banned
f553d7cc-4be9-4f80-ba0f-850d0be460c1_800.jpg

Holmes

Trump at 36/59 on Gallup today. Seems like the Comey testimony hurt him despite he and his minions screaming about vindication in the face of Comey repeatedly calling him a liar.

KingV

Trump at 36/59 on Gallup today. Seems like the Comey testimony hurt him despite he and his minions screaming about vindication in the face of Comey repeatedly calling him a liar.

My guess is they will keep up the charade of it all being false/vindication for another few weeks, and once it becomes clear that that isn't working/didn't vindicate him/he actually IS under investigation, move to some other dumb tactic.

Everything they do is short term.

The Sessions hearing is the real wildcard here. Largely, I know Trunpnis done but had assumed Sessions had some level of intelligence. So I'm curious what the game is with the hearing, and I'm not sure how it's going to play. It's a pretty risky move to offer it up.

Kusagari

Don't see why he's pushing this as it has been past the 90 day ban. Sooooo it should be unnecessary now, right?

His continual crying about the ban instead of discussing any progress on the improved vetting that was supposed to only take 90 days to begin with does a great deal in showing the true aim of the bill.

Because it was never going to just be 90 days. And at this point, it's about winning in getting it through.

His continual crying about the ban instead of discussing any progress on the improved vetting that was supposed to only take 90 days to begin with does a great deal in showing the true aim of the bill.

Forgot his addiction to winning. That said, he is probably going to use this on his base. Look at all these liberal judges trying to make you unsafe. Please ignore the conservatives that also blocked it.

It'd be funnier if after they went around the table then the President shit talked each of them on how they've disappointed him.
You ever seen the Idi Amin documentary? There's a scene where he does just that. And the most disappointing minister is found dead in Lake Victoria not long after.

If today's sample is mediocre for him we could see an all-time low tomorrow. He's just a point away from his previous record (35/59, -24) and I believe the first day of today's sample was "good" for him.

benjipwns

Banned
You ever seen the Idi Amin documentary? There's a scene where he does just that. And the most disappointing minister is found dead in Lake Victoria not long after.
Which one is that? There's like twenty of them including one he tried to get director credit on.

I've seen like 90% of them probably lol

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...would-make-social-media-a-presidential-record

Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) introduced legislation Monday to classify presidential social media posts — including President Trump's much-discussed tweets — as presidential records.

The Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement (COVFEFE) Act, which has the same acronym as an infamous Trump Twitter typo last month, would amend the Presidential Records Act to include "social media."

Presidential records must be preserved, according to the Presidential Records Act, which would make it potentially illegal for the president to delete tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom