• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did it become ageism to observe that people who are 78 are actually subject to physical and mental deterioration and risk of sudden death? 78 is really fucking old!

Also frankly I'm tired of the Boomers ruining the country.

A 78-year-old is not a Boomer. The oldest Boomers turn 71 this year and will be 74 in 2020.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did you see McCain trying to ask Comey questions?

I did, but I'm not instantly writing off every other person his age.

When did it become ageism to observe that people who are 78 are actually subject to physical and mental deterioration and risk of sudden death? 78 is really fucking old!

Also frankly I'm tired of the Boomers ruining the country.

People in good shape can be mentally sharp into their 90s.

Dems need to run young blood, not old dudes and dudettes. Kamala Harris with VP Al Franken strikes me as the right reimagining of the Obama formula, assuming she has decent political chops.

I still have doubts Kamala Harris can draw in voters nationally.

The real gut punch is that the GOP DON'T have to do it this way. They can work with Dems to actually improve Obamacare, fix the flaws, stabilize the markets, increase coverage, help people AND give themselves/Trump a political win. Instead they would rather murder millions of people and probably lose a shit-ton of seats in upcoming elections for tax cuts. Monsters.

They can't work with the Dems because if they actually did what as required to help improve Obamacare, any GOP senator or congressman that votes for such a bill would get primaried.

The GOP is being as secretive as possible because that is literally the only way they are going to get the AHCA passed.

But it's stupid of them because this whole point of this was so that they could advertise to their fanbase that they repealed the ACA, which will require advertising the AHCA and the shitshow that it is.

He'll be 78, actually.

I'm going to be quite honest--I'm a bit confused by the ageism in here.

McCain's age was a concern back when he was running in 2008. 78 is way too old to be running. That's not agism unless you think its agism to say that someone below the age of 18 shouldn't be president either.

kirblar

Did you see McCain trying to ask Comey questions?
Or what appears to be Trump having early dementia and wandering around.
Or Reagan developing Alzheimer's in office.
Or Hillary getting Pnuemonia on the campaign trail.

People's minds and bodies start falling apart fast at that age.

benjipwns

Banned
If we can't settle the question of who the Boomers are/aren't then we'll never figure out this Millennial thing.

Maybe Aunt Maxine is one after all.

"No, listen, the arbitrary line starts here."

The Baby Boom started immediately after World War II when the soldiers returned and used the peace and prosperity as an excuse to procreate prolifically. Sometimes the ending dates can be fuzzy and arbitrary, but the majority of historians peg the beginning at 1946 or thereabouts because of its ties to historical and societal developments.

Someone Joe or Bernie's age can't be classified as a Baby Boomer by any definition of the term.

Ogodei

It's "easy" to stay healthy into your 90s if you lead a healthy lifestyle, but the core of the matter is that a federal politician or most anyone up high enough to be a presidential appointee doesn't lead a healthy lifestyle.

Judiciary seems to be the exception (pray for RBG, people. There are no more norms so she has to last until inauguration day 2021).

benjipwns

Banned
The Baby Boom started immediately after World War II when the soldiers returned and used the peace and prosperity as an excuse to procreate prolifically. Sometimes the ending dates can be fuzzy and arbitrary, but the majority of historians peg the beginning at 1946 or thereabouts because of its ties to historical and societal developments.

Someone Joe or Bernie's age can't be classified as a Baby Boomer by any definition of the term.
Maybe their parents did it as he was being shipped off to war in case he didn't come back.

It's "easy" to stay healthy into your 90s if you lead a healthy lifestyle, but the core of the matter is that a federal politician or most anyone up high enough to be a presidential appointee doesn't lead a healthy lifestyle.

Judiciary seems to be the exception (pray for RBG, people. There are no more norms so she has to last until inauguration day 2021).

Paul Ryan sees your comments and returns to his punishing P90X workout.

royalan

They're so short sighted it's almost impressive. In their mind it's all about a giant tax cut and being able to say they did what they promised. Thy could have just as easily campaigned on "Fix Obamacare" but they just want to shot on Obamas legacy, and I have a feeling most working class whites thing Obamacare only benefits minorities.

This gets at the big problem Democrats have, and why I personally believe Republicans are going to go through with AHCA despite how catastrophic it could be for them...because they don't think it will be.

Republicans dominate Democrats in messaging, and they know it. And they're counting on Democrats to continue to suck at messaging and continue to look for any reason to reach across the aisle for the sake of "bipartisanship."

You see it in their spin now: we had to do this! When AHCA passes, expect to see Republican spin experts flooding the media with passion-filled tales of how Republicans had no choice but to do this, how it's really Obama's fault, Oh-but-Hillary!, and my personal favorite in their arsenal, "let's stop focusing on mistakes made in the past and think about the future!" And before you know it, Republicans are winning elections on promises to fix a system they broke in the first place.

And they'll expect Democrats to stand there and take it. Because you know why? We usually do.

PBY

Banned
This gets at the big problem Democrats have, and why I personally believe Republicans are going to go through with AHCA despite how catastrophic it could be for them...because they don't think it will be.

Republicans dominate Democrats in messaging, and they know it. And they're counting on Democrats to continue to suck at messaging and continue to look for any reason to reach across the aisle for the sake of "bipartisanship."

You see it in their spin now: we had to do this! When AHCA passes, expect to see Republican spin experts flooding the media with passion-filled tales of how Republicans had no choice but to do this, how it's really Obama's fault, Oh-but-Hillary!, and my personal favorite in their arsenal, "let's stop focusing on mistakes made in the past and think about the future!" And before you know it, Republicans are winning elections on promises to fix a system they broke in the first place.

And they'll expect Democrats to stand there and take it. Because you know why? We usually do.

Yup. I agree with your point re messaging. I can't help but think that the Dems should try to be more affirmative in their messaging. I know congresspersons are strained for legislative resources - but what is the harm in dropping a new Medicare for all bill now?

I want the Dems to start putting forth new plans, not just run counter to the Rs.

Just me tho

Blader

oh shit VJC! Miss that guy in movie-GAF.

He'll be 78, actually.

I'm going to be quite honest--I'm a bit confused by the ageism in here.

Because the base likes young and sexy.

And it's not an altogether terrible idea to have fresh faces lead a refreshed Democratic Party. It undermines the rebuilding effort a bit if your standard bearer is a former Vice President and 30-year senator who already mounted two failed presidential bids before.

I still have doubts Kamala Harris can draw in voters nationally.

I do too, but that's what the next primary is for. :p

He really is this stupid, isn't he?

Judy Woodruff‏Verified account @JudyWoodruff 9m9 minutes ago

.@ChrisRuddyNMX tells me Pres Trump is "considering perhaps terminating" Robert Mueller as special counsel @NewsHour

https://twitter.com/JudyWoodruff/status/874397738108145665

This seems to me more like a trial balloon to rile people's shit than an actual serious consideration.

Ernest

Banned
Check out the transcript to today's circle-jerk:

DCIxhW0XcAACFYG.jpg:large

royalan

He really is this stupid, isn't he?

Judy Woodruff‏Verified account @JudyWoodruff 9m9 minutes ago

.@ChrisRuddyNMX tells me Pres Trump is "considering perhaps terminating" Robert Mueller as special counsel @NewsHour

https://twitter.com/JudyWoodruff/status/874397738108145665

Is it really stupid if there will be no consequences, tho?

I mean, it's a terrifying thought, but consider: the only thing saving us from a full-on dictatorship is Republicans maintaining the thinnest veneer that they give a shit. But they don't, Paul Ryan has already made it plain that there is not a damn thing Trump could do that would make him start the impeachment process. So, if you're Trump, why NOT fire Mueller?

PBY

Banned

I mean, it's a terrifying thought, but consider: the only thing saving us from a full-on dictatorship is Republicans maintaining the thinnest veneer that they give a shit. But they don't, Paul Ryan has already made it plain that there is not a damn thing Trump could do that would make him start the impeachment process. So, if you're Trump, why NOT fire Mueller?

Dude, same.

People thought firing Comey would fuck him... and did it really? Not at all, he just went full on stupid and may have committed some light obstruction.

Blader

The Republican commentator machine is already going full bore against Mueller, so it's not as if Trump will face any repercussions from Hill Republicans for firing him.

Although Trump can't personally fire him, he would direct Rosenstein to fire Mueller. If Rosenstein refused, then Trump would fire him and the new acting DAG would fire Mueller - and if he didn't, Trump would fire him then go move through the ranks until he had an acting DAG that would fire Mueller. By which point, Senate Republicans have to explain why a DAG they unanimously voted to confirm just a couple months and a special counsel they've praised up and down deserved to be fired so suddenly.

Dude, same.

People thought firing Comey would fuck him... and did it really? Not at all, he just went full on stupid and may have committed some light obstruction.

Comey's firing led to Mueller's appointment as special counsel, so "not at all" seems like a strange read on this, unless your inclination is to believe in the worst of everything!

Ogodei

It digs him in a deeper and deeper mire for 2020. If he actually had a plan to become dictator or something there could be a dark side to his trampling all over norms, but the American people disapprove, and the Democrats will work to patch the holes that allow for Trump's abuses of power once they restore control.

For the moment i'd say "please proceed." I haven't really been worried about the damage the administration could do since February, they'll always shoot themselves in the foot first.

Chumley

Banned
Dude, same.

Exactly.

We have to march on Washington. Nothing else will get him out unless we want to wait till 2018.

Paul Ryan sees your comments and returns to his punishing P90X workout.

Granted, Ryan specifically works out because his family has a nasty habit of dying in their 50s to heart attacks.

I've said this before here, but there's no response to this post. If the GOP has legitimately and completely given up across the board on not committing tons of crimes, then I don't see the point of doing anything. Guess I'll go withdraw campaign donations and cancel voter registration drives here. I mean, why bother?

royalan

It digs him in a deeper and deeper mire for 2020. If he actually had a plan to become dictator or something there could be a dark side to his trampling all over norms, but the American people disapprove, and the Democrats will work to patch the holes that allow for Trump's abuses of power once they restore control.

For the moment i'd say "please proceed." I haven't really been worried about the damage the administration could do since February, they'll always shoot themselves in the foot first.

The comfort Republicans have with Trump's behavior makes me seriously worried for future elections in this country.

Because we saw with North Carolina how far Republicans are willing to go to try and maintain power. We have YET to see them reach a line they wouldn't cross.

Blader

Exactly.

We have to march on Washington. Nothing else will get him out unless we want to wait till 2018.

Marches on Washington don't get rid of unpopular presidents. Elections do.

One would assume that Rosenstein would resign and he might take a good chunk of the DOJ with him. Republicans would be very concerned and we would see an insane amount of IC leaks.

Rosenstein would be doing the firing. So if Rosenstein was really that opposed to firing Mueller, he would just resign first or be fired by Trump.

royalan

I've said this before here, but there's no response to this post. If the GOP has legitimately and completely given up across the board on not committing tons of crimes, then I don't see the point of doing anything. Guess I'll go withdraw campaign donations and cancel voter registration drives here. I mean, why bother?

This isn't meant to be defeatist. I'm just as politically active as I was last year, if not more so (I don't think I've EVER been involved in so many "call your reps!" initiatives simultaneously in my life).

But I do think we need to stay awake. Too many Democrats (sadly, in our leadership mostly) seem to be waiting for this moment to come where Republicans wake from their fever dream, shout "enough is enough!", and reach out for our outstretched hands to walk together towards the sun. That's just not going to happen. Republicans have thrown their lot in with Trump; they will rise and fall with him. And we need to operate knowing that.

benjipwns

Banned
Although Trump can't personally fire him, he would direct Rosenstein to fire Mueller. If Rosenstein refused, then Trump would fire him and the new acting DAG would fire Mueller - and if he didn't, Trump would fire him then go move through the ranks until he had an acting DAG that would fire Mueller. By which point, Senate Republicans have to explain why a DAG they unanimously voted to confirm just a couple months and a special counsel they've praised up and down deserved to be fired so suddenly.
Hey now, Nixon only had to go through two people before he found Robert Bork willing to do it.

Blader

Unless Trump and the Republican controlled government cancel the election.

Let's launch that coup when we come to it. In the meantime, let's continue under the assumption that our democracy will hold for the next three years and work toward winning elections.

benjipwns said:
Hey now, Nixon only had to go through two people before he found Robert Bork willing to do it.

borked

KingV

Dude, same.

In 6 months firing Comey and the fallout from that (including the hearing, and what comes after) will look like the turning point for hobbling his Presidency. We just can't see it as clearly because we are in the middle of it.

That happened like last month, his numbers are still falling and he is becoming more clearly unhinged.

Not sure any republicans outside of Burr (and maybe McCain/Graham) would throw a fit if Trump fired Mueller. The consequence would ultimately be the IC deciding to air Trump out in public and force congress' hands with some major leaks that make Trump look bad.

I don't think Trump will fire Mueller, it would be too convoluted (he'd presumably have to fire the dept AG, then replace him with someone willing to fire Mueller) and make him look guilty as fuck. But...imagine if Sessions' hearing goes poorly, more leaks come, all of this fucks up the AHCA somehow...I could see Trump going off the rails enough to start the firing process.

Blader

I just realized that Rosenstein was the one who went around Trump and appointed Mueller in the first place. So presumably, he wouldn't be firing Mueller anyway, and would force Trump to fire him and a pick a new acting DAG who would.

Zolo

I just realized that Rosenstein was the one who went around Trump and appointed Mueller in the first place. So presumably, he wouldn't be firing Mueller anyway, and would force Trump to fire him and a pick a new acting DAG who would.

Also possible for Trump to repeal some regulation and fire Mueller directly.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Can't get removed under the 25th amendment if everyone in your cabinet says nice things about you.

Thinking_Guy.jpg

I'd like to set aside some time for each of you to praise me. Go on.

It can be the subject of this entire page.
The best thing about shinra-bansho is that they are not just an upside down y2kev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom