• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I just realized that Rosenstein was the one who went around Trump and appointed Mueller in the first place. So presumably, he wouldn't be firing Mueller anyway, and would force Trump to fire him and a pick a new acting DAG who would.
Fire Sessions, promote Rosenstein to AG, acting DAG Robert Bork can fire Mueller.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

Source close to Trump says the president "is being advised by many people" NOT to fire special prosecutor Robert Mueller.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

Source close to Trump says the president "is being advised by many people" NOT to fire special prosecutor Robert Mueller.

No way.
surprise.gif

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

lol you think?

Edit:
Was Obama one of them? That worked for the whole Flynn thing. Dodged a bullet there by not hiring Flynn.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really think firing Mueller would open the floodgates of leaks from the IC. They'd take him down themselves.

Zolo

Why in the world would he terminate him now? That would look ridiculously bad.

Freaking out because of how fast Mueller seems to be moving, and I assume he's going to submit a budget soon?

I've said before that I figured he'd have done it before now, but he certainly wants to do it at some point. I guess it'd be best to wait until a "calmer" time and the media as well as Republicans have had time to do everything they can to sully Mueller's reputation.

Edit: Also the Comey testimony says he's not directly under investigation, so he may try to spin it as a waste of resources due to that.

Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

I'd almost expect a full-on coup from the IC if he did this. It's an insane move, and no one within the executive branch would ever respect or remain loyal to Trump again. Every move he makes for the rest of his time in office would probably be sabotaged to hell and back. Literally any action would just get fucked up intentionally by every staffer that touched it.

If Trump really did do the dark shit, then, at some point, he doesn't have much to lose. Firing Mueller and creating partisan chaos will serve him better than letting Mueller publish conclusions.

Because he's guilty and it's only a matter of time before the special counsel uncovers something that is worse than just a "bad look"

So obstruct and make it harder to them to get to the bottom of it and rest on the hope republicans are too spineless to take any action

Why would Mueller find something the FBI hasn't in the last two years?
Trump obviously knows the answer

If he didn't he wouldn't have any issue with these probes or fired Comey to begin with.

At least that is the only explanation that makes any sense. Unless you have some wisdom or historical expertise to share with me

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Was Obama one of them? That worked for the whole Flynn thing. Dodged a bullet there by not hiring Flynn.

I am reminded of a comedy sketch (K&P? Chapelle?) where Republicans just do the opposite of what the first black President asks for, without thinking about the substance of it at all...

would the right wing media justify muller's firing with the same jargon about how trump is the boss and he can fire him if he wants like they did with comey?

benjipwns

Banned
Congress will not resurrect the Independent Counsel statute. Nobody wants that back.

Literally nobody on this board including you has any idea what the FBI has or hasn't found, and it has not been two years.
Trump obviously knows the answer

If he didn't he wouldn't have any issue with these probes or fired Comey to begin with.

At least that is the only explanation that makes any sense. Unless you have some wisdom or historical expertise to share with me
So your operating theory here is that there is a grand crime out there with Trump directly implicated and nobody, not the FBI, not the Clinton campaign, not the media, nobody has yet found even the smallest piece looking like anything but somehow Robert Mueller with the same, and probably even less access and shorter timetable, will upend the whole card table.

The Republican commentator machine is already going full bore against Mueller, so it's not as if Trump will face any repercussions from Hill Republicans for firing him.

Although Trump can't personally fire him, he would direct Rosenstein to fire Mueller. If Rosenstein refused, then Trump would fire him and the new acting DAG would fire Mueller - and if he didn't, Trump would fire him then go move through the ranks until he had an acting DAG that would fire Mueller. By which point, Senate Republicans have to explain why a DAG they unanimously voted to confirm just a couple months and a special counsel they've praised up and down deserved to be fired so suddenly.

Comey's firing led to Mueller's appointment as special counsel, so "not at all" seems like a strange read on this, unless your inclination is to believe in the worst of everything!

I'm iffy on the later part of that paragraph, but the bolded is what worries me. There's been little the way of resolution to meet audacity with action on the part of GOP congress (Mueller fell into their lap remember). Those provocateurs know this. They don't want their sugar daddy to fall. They don't want this ride to end. They have too much to lose. They, depending on the "they" could end up in jail.

There's one big thing though: they're clearly desperate, so hopefully these seeds are falling on hard ground. If not, NOBODY wins. NOBODY (American) wins.

Jim Acosta
Jim Acosta‏ @Acosta

God to be a fly on the wall. You KNOW he's raging, just fucking spittle-flying apoplexy.

Congress will not resurrect the Independent Counsel statute. Nobody wants that back

So your operating theory here is that there is a grand crime out there with Trump directly implicated and nobody, not the FBI, not the Clinton campaign, not the media, nobody has yet found even the smallest piece looking like anything but somehow Robert Mueller with the same, and probably even less access and shorter timetable, will upend the whole card table.

No my operating theory is that firing Comey and firing Mueller without legitimate reasons to do so implies guilt to the public and general observers of the situation. But it's only worth it to fire them and look guilty if you actually are guilty, as far as "risk vs reward" goes

He's upset about these probes for a reason. He's fired people for a reason. And I'm just guessing he's willing to take the political heat of looking guilty for a reason

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
No, last time I did it so blatantly around here it wound up with like three people banned for following me around into other threads "calling me out" over it. So I try to remember that joke breaks people on here.
The last time I responded to myself deadpan on here I had two types of response. Some people chuckled sensibly. The rest was abject insanity.

I said moderator alt account, not administrator alt account.
*wipes sweat from brow* I can sleep easier tonight.

No my operating theory is that firing Comey and firing Mueller without legitimate reasons to do so implies guilt to the public and general observers of the situation. But it's only worth it to fire them and look guilty if you actually are guilty, as far as "risk vs reward" goes

He's upset about these probes for a reason. He's fired people for a reason. And I'm just guessing he's willing to take the political heat of looking guilty for a reason

To this point, Trump has a long history of looking guilty as shit while dodging actual charges. He doesn't really know much of anything but he does know exactly what you're posting here; the only reason to take this much heat is that the truth would be more damaging.

benjipwns

Banned
He's an idiot who acts impulsively because he believes he's infallible.

Some of you guys are just starting to sound like Republicans increasingly with every passing week that there's going to be some one-step problem solving revelation. Only faster and it'll be out of the blue with a big public revelation like a fucking TV movie or some shit.

I'm seeing threads and posts where people are regularly calling on abhorrent measures like military coups, Dirty War style coups, the Mueller thread has people calling for Trump to be murdered if he fires him, etc.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Some of you guys are just starting to sound like Republicans increasingly with every passing week that there's going to be some one-step problem solving revelation. Only faster and it'll be out of the blue with a big public revelation like a fucking TV movie or some shit.

I'm seeing threads and posts where people are regularly calling on abhorrent measures like military coups, Dirty War style coups, the Mueller thread has people calling for Trump to be murdered if he fires him, etc.

Who are you talking to?
I'm sick of this generalizing bullshit without any examples.

I mean this is totally possible. But I also think it's possible he has something to hide. Regardless he continues to implicate himself even if he hasn't done what he has been accused of, and people should move forward assuming he has

People calling for coups are insane

I don't see that much at all here. Sure in OT you get a lot of people wanting a movie climax, or even the thought that Trump is going out in handcuffs or something. But the general feel here seems reasonable; Trump has likely broken some rules, certainly not murder but maybe something like obstruction, and so he's trying to get people to leave him alone (because as you say, he thinks he's always right).

Ultimately nothing will happen without a Democratic Congress, but nothing happening is actually much much better than the Trump administration doing anything at all, and so that's a win. It'd be great if we actually got him to resign (go for the full Nixon speedrun), but I'll settle for making him supremely ineffectual.

I really hope your calmness about all this is rewarded.

Because guys like Trump scare the shit out of me.

pigeon

Banned

You should be happy about that! Isn't people recognizing the fundamental illegitimacy of our government like your primary goal in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom