• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If they get one democrat to sign it the Dems will be unable to capitalize on this crap.

I can't figure out of "Employee offered healthcare" means government as well so I figured I would ask here. Will the AHCA affect healthcare of government employees who receive it through their job in any way? I'm talking largely about Police Officers and Fighter fighters when I mean government employees.

If you're an employee of the US Government or a blue state then your healthcare benefits are safe. Those are negotiated in the collective bargaining agreements that exist nearly everywhere in public sector employment, Yay unions.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm not sure I follow the logic of making a disaster of a bill that passes the house and then they scrap it and "fix" it in the Senate.

Like... why not just pass around a post-it saying "Obamacare sux and we're repealing it" and then punt it off to the senate? It has the same end goal of originating in the house, as needed, without the stigma of being a bill that strips the insurance away from 25 million people and causes the elderly's rates to sky rocket.

This whole process seems self destructive, unnecessary, and just plain weird.
Rational choice theory might finally be stumped.

Zolo

I guess technically the bill's now at where it was expected to be at the beginning rather than it taking weeks as far as passing house and going to the senate.

Rational choice theory might finally be stumped.

It just doesn't make any sense at all that they wasted the last two months, the terrible PR and the toxic, potentially career ending vote that has the same exact end goal that everyone knew was the end goal and everyone was saying was the end goal since they started the whole process, when a clean bill that didn't do anything but repeal Obamacare would have been sufficient.

There was literally no reason for the House to even come up with any complex bill at all if the goal for the last few months was to let the senate actually write the bill.

Slacker

I guess technically the bill's now at where it was expected to be at the beginning rather than it taking weeks as far as passing house and going to the senate.

It's pretty funny that President P-Grabber is celebrating like his team just won the superbowl, when in reality they managed to pass a single bill in the house with a 40 seat majority. Score!

Wilsongt

Alabama can now deny gay couples to adopt.

Also: Flint residents can be foreclosed upon for not paying their bill on toxic water: 1 page

Clinton says she is going to start a grassroots movement to raise money: 9 pages of calling her terrible, telling her to fuck off, and fellating Bernie.

Slizeezyc

Alabama can now deny gay couples to adopt.

Also: Flint residents can be foreclosed upon for not paying their bill on toxic water: 1 page

Clinton says she is going to start a grassroots movement to raise money: 9 pages of calling her terrible, telling her to fuck off, and fellating Bernie.

I mean the one is a talking point. It's like when you say don't watch Stephen A Smith or Colin Cowherd or whoever and they would just go away in the sports world. It's just, like, people are going to go to their talking points and flock to the place where they can bash Clinton. It's just a thing. I don't get people who do that, especially when they're not important anymore on a grand scale, but it's not surprising or disheartening anymore to me. People like talking about things they think they're comfortable with or feel like they can have an "opinion" on and so will go there and do it again. Some people love to rehash again and again.

pigeon

Banned
I wrote a game about colonialism a while back and one of the rules is that the richest player out-of-game gets a particular job.

Keep in mind this is a game about colonialism so most of the people who play it are at least open to discussing race and privilege. That's why they're there.

People very frequently outright refuse to follow this rule because they're totally unwilling to even talk about which of them is actually the richest.

Just something to think about!

I don't think poor racist whites are winning because they're clearly going to get fucked by the GOP. People of color are going to get fucked worse, in general, sure. But comparing privilege is not productive!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't agree that class is that irrelevant, but I was thinking about this literally this morning (before the vote). I think I've finally figured out how to articulate my problem with historical materialism. I think economic relations constrain other social relations, but they don't determine them, and positions that start from economic and class relations as the only foundational infrastructure (gah can you tell the sort of texts I've been reading?) really don't seem to adequately explain race relations in the US

I genuinely don't understand the GOP's political calculus today. How does passing a bill that won't get considered in the Senate and is enormously unpopular help them? Is it JUST about getting a "win" to energize their base, and they assume everyone will forget about this come 2018?

I genuinely don't understand the GOP's political calculus today. How does passing a bill that won't get considered in the Senate and is enormously unpopular help them? Is it JUST about getting a "win" to energize their base, and they assume everyone will forget about this come 2018?
Yeah, I think so. Their base was getting demoralized *and* everyone else hated them, so they decided to fix that first part. I don't think there's any strategy beyond "winning feels better than failing."

pigeon

Banned

The theory is that they can't go to 2018 saying "yeah you elected President Trump and we control both houses of Congress but we still can't repeal Obamacare."

They would either have to be totally incompetent or shameless liars. In fact they are both, but they'd like to keep that quiet.

So they have to do SOMETHING. The problem is that the thing they promised is impossible.

They have no good choices. Somebody decided that passing something bad was better than not passing anything. Not sure this will turn out to be correct.

Rich people are the primary reason this bill passed. You can scream racism and sexism because of course those things helped these people get elected but it's the richest of fucks who wanted this bill so bad so they could get a tax cut. A bill that will be murderous to so many people.

Yet you want to tell me there's no class war.

The theory is that they can't go to 2018 saying "yeah you elected President Trump and we control both houses of Congress but we still can't repeal Obamacare."

They would either have to be totally incompetent or shameless liars. In fact they are both, but they'd like to keep that quiet.

So they have to do SOMETHING. The problem is that the thing they promised is impossible.

They have no good choices. Somebody decided that passing something bad was better than not passing anything. Not sure this will turn out to be correct.

idk, once the CBO score comes out, how do you defend against attack ads accusing you of wanting to take healthcare away from like 30 million people and make rape victims unable to be insured for subsequent rape-related problems they may have?

I wonder if there is just an assumption that Trump and the far right are going to be able to whip up anti-"snowflake" fever when the time comes, since things are so partisan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom