• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Note: benji died on his way back to his home planet
3qJzgQU3YX7hORfea-a3rkynfRo=.gif

dead.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday Moon Jae-in, the center-left candidate, won in South Korea as expected, 20 points ahead of both the right candidate and economic left candidate. The staunchly and only pro-LGBT candidate got 7%, which I suppose shows improvement in that area.

Biggest international takeaway is he wants to take a more diplomatic approach to North Korea, directly at odds with what Trump wants.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have faith that the IC will continue on investigating even under a new director regardless of what he/she tells them. The entire IC was blindsided by this, and it appears many didn't want it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Funny to see Ray Kelly at the top of Fox News's list of Comey replacements as if Trump would pick someone that isn't fiercely loyal to him.

I have faith that the IC will continue on investigating even under a new director regardless of what he/she tells them. The entire IC was blindsided by this, and it appears many didn't want it.
Yea, this is bigger than Comey.

They can delay it all they want, 2018 is right around the corner with a (proper) congressional investigation right behind it

Even if the IC just leaks stuff to reporters and let's them continue to look into it, this is far from over

Trump has just begun massively reshaping American appeals courts

President Trump is reportedly naming 10 nominees to federal courts on Monday — and, intriguingly, at least two of the people he's appointing are likely contenders for the Supreme Court in the future.

There are currently 129 vacancies for federal courts of all types: 101 at district courts, 20 at courts of appeals, and eight at other specialty courts. There are now more than twice as many district and appeals court vacancies as when President Obama took office (as 13 have opened up since the above chart was made).

According to NYT’s Liptak, the 10 Monday nominees are expected to be part of "near monthly waves of nominations." If Trump keeps up this pace and no one else retires, then he'll have nominees for every vacant federal judgeship by May 2018. He could easily finish the process before midterm elections, and the 2018 Senate election map means it’s very unlikely those will end with Democrats retaking the body and slowing down confirmations.

But her fucking emails.

sazzy

Lindsay Graham on Morning Joe:

Comey needed to go; the FBI is bigger than him; Senate and FBI investigation into Russia/Trump will continue; FBI is doing a counterintelligence investigation, will talk about special prosecutor when it turns into a criminal investigation.

etrain911

Comey needed to go; the FBI is bigger than him; Senate and FBI investigation into Russia/Trump will continue; FBI is doing a counterintelligence investigation, will talk about special prosecutor when it turns into a criminal investigation.

He and John McCain are all talk no action and this is proof. What a treasonous, partisan, piece of shit.

On the surface, this seems like a reasonable take.

But we'll have to see

Ernest

Banned
He and John McCain are all talk no action and this is proof. What a treasonous, partisan, piece of shit.
Being the party in power has made them complacent. They know full well Trump is an idiot, but he's their idiot, and they still think they can influence him.

Loudninja

Old news. Will have damage, but won't change much as he's just filling vacancies and not firing judges.

Honestly it's really tiring to hear "but her emails" at this point. It's nothing more than a thing people spam now.
No not really when people continue to make a big deal about he emails.

It was stupid then and its still stupid now.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Being the party in power has made them complacent. They know full well Trump is an idiot, but he's their idiot, and they still think they can influence him.

Plus they don't want to burn the whole party down. They are walking the line trying to save their asses too.

Plus they don't want to burn the whole party down. They are walking the line trying to save their asses too.

It's what makes me think when push comes to shove, and Trump finally tries to do something that doesn't even hold the base argument of "The President technically has that right." they'll spring into action, well aware their own party will, in fact, be on the line at that point.

And can we please tone down the doom and gloom, apocalyptic "democracy is dead all hail fuehrer Trump" BS fear mongering? Yes, this really sucks, yes this could be very very bad in the long run. But I've seen at least two people comment about losing all hope, looking for reassurance, and one actually mentioning suicide as one of their only options for a way out of all this. I'd really rather not people lose their lives over speculative fear-mongering.

While I'm sure some of these remarks were made in frustration, I do worry about people reading this forum and jumping to the gun. Especially in PoliGAF, which is meant to be a bit more sane, I find it disappointing how willfully so many are spouting about the fall of democracy and the end of the US as if fact. That's scary shit, and maybe you're feeling scared to, but that's no reason to produce a line of thinking that only furthers to produce anxiety and depression.

I know tensions were high last night and this development blind-sided a lot of people, but with a day it'd be nice for everyone to calm down a little bit.

IF, IF things were to really get that bad, and a revolution was required to take back the country, hope and faith would be required, not long installed apathy and anxiety.

I'm still so surprised he actually did it! Trump must have no impulse control, and everyone around him is too much of a yes man to point out the inevitable fallout.

While I'm sure some of these remarks were made in frustration, I do worry about people reading this forum and jumping to the gun. Especially in PoliGAF, which is meant to be a bit more sane, I find it disappointing how willfully so many are spouting about the fall of democracy and the end of the US as if fact. That's scary shit, and maybe you're feeling scared to, but that's no reason to produce a line of thinking that only furthers to produce anxiety and depression.

There are like a billion reasons to be afraid that Trump is bringing about the fall of democracy, but the totally legal firing of a guy that everyone kinda thought might be fired at some point is ironically not really one of them. It's crooked as fuck and bad for a bunch of reasons, but it reeks more of trying to get the Russia story to go away than consolidating power for some kind of coup.

That might just be my own brain trying to protect me from the horrible reality we all live in now though.

Nah, they're going to run this train into 2018 and then be utterly shocked and appalled when voters kick them out.

They're true believers in their "cause" and gave up any hope of self preservation awhile ago

Obama made them complacent and cocky

There are like a billion reasons to be afraid that Trump is bringing about the fall of democracy, but the totally legal firing of a guy that everyone kinda thought might be fired at some point is ironically not really one of them. It's crooked as fuck and bad for a bunch of reasons, but it reeks more of trying to get the Russia story to go away than consolidating power for some kind of coup.

Exactly.

benjipwns

Banned
And can we please tone down the doom and gloom, apocalyptic "democracy is dead all hail fuehrer Trump" BS fear mongering? Yes, this really sucks, yes this could be very very bad in the long run. But I've seen at least two people comment about losing all hope, looking for reassurance, and one actually mentioning suicide as one of their only options for a way out of all this. I'd really rather not people lose their lives over speculative fear-mongering.

Please stop shit stirring and gaslighting.

Nah, they're going to run this train into 2018 and then be utterly shocked and appalled when voters kick them out.

They're true believers in their "cause" and gave up any hope of self preservation awhile ago

Obama made them complacent and cocky

That is why i said we are in "put up or shut up" mode with the GOP right now. This is tugging at strings that are going beyond "did russia attack the DNC and our elections" and into full-blown collusion and obstruction of justice (which happens EVERY TIME we see an open hearing LIKE CLOCKWORK). From here on out, repubs like Graham cannot just call it a day, especially right after the french hack n dump; this requires attenitive, serious action and words and not-half measures.

If this results in them cutting the WH lose to face whatevers in these investigations, we won double or nothing on 45s bet. If not, this just got worse.

Blader

That might just be my own brain trying to protect me from the horrible reality we all live in now though.

The president firing the man responsible for overseeing the investigation into whether that same president's campaign colluded with a foreign power -- which is, and of itself, a threat to our democracy -- and now having the power to handpick the next man who will oversee that investigation seems like a totally valid thing to be concerned about.

It IS a consolidation of power insofar as it takes a not-insignificant degree of power away from what is supposed to be an independent investigation and gives it back to the president. Comey's firing for the stated reasons is deserved, but at the same time, those aren't really the reasons he was fired, and I would trust Comey more than I would trust his Trump-chosen successor to carry out this investigation as fairly as possible.

The president firing the man responsible for overseeing the investigation into whether that same president's campaign colluded with a foreign power -- which is, and of itself, a threat to our democracy -- and now having the power to handpick the next man who will oversee that investigation seems like a totally valid thing to be concerned about.

It IS a consolidation of power insofar as it takes a not-insignificant degree of power away from what is supposed to be an independent investigation and gives it back to the president. Comey's firing for the stated reasons is deserved, but at the same time, those aren't really the reasons he was fired, and I would trust Comey more than I would trust his Trump-chosen successor to carry out this investigation as fairly as possible.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I think it's a huge thing to be concerned about. Like, massive. But I don't think the lynchpin of the investigation and our democracy was Comey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom