• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I think it's a huge thing to be concerned about. Like, massive. But I don't think the lynchpin of the investigation and our democracy was Comey.

Yeah I'm not and Benicillin is not (I think) saying that you shouldn't be concerned or upset that Comey was fired. That is upsetting and it is frustrating. But it doesn't warrant this assumption our entire country has collapsed and we're all about to be turned into workforce slaves and be brainwashed like the sheeple in Russia.

royalan

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I think it's a huge thing to be concerned about. Like, massive. But I don't think the lynchpin of the investigation and our democracy was Comey.

Comey was the head of FBI.

So...Like...Yeah, he kinda was the linchpin?

If the next director wants the case closed, the case will be closed. The FBI could be sitting on hard evidence, and the Director would still have the power to shut it down.

Blader

The lynchpin of the investigation was absolutely Comey. He's the director of the FBI! The director determines whether there is or isn't an investigation.

Comey was the head of FBI.

So...Like...Yeah, he kinda was the linchpin?

If the next director wants the case closed, the case will be closed. The FBI could be sitting on hard evidence, and the Director would still have the power to shut it down.

If that's really the case, then Republicans are in for a shitstorm of epic proportions. People aren't gonna take that laying down.

The calculation that people don't really care about Russia is completely wrong. Trump appointing a lackey that shuts down the investigation would almost certainly lose the House, and it turns the Senate from a Loooooong shot to just a long shot.

Maledict

If that's really the case, then Republicans are in for a shitstorm of epic proportions. People aren't gonna take that laying down.

The calculation that people don't really care about Russia is completely wrong. Trump appointing a lackey that shuts down the investigation would almost certainly lose the House, and it turns the Senate from a Loooooong shot to just a long shot.

Why do you believe this? Honest question. We already have the republican leadership defending this move and falling into line behind trump. We've seen that his followers fell in line for ACHA as well. It feels like 40% of the country are basically lost to you now in terms of rational behaviour or the ability to consider their team might have done something wrong.

Blader

Republicans answer to their constituents, many of whom buy into Trump's characterization of the investigation as a politically-motivated witch hunt and/or don't care about whether Russia helped Trump win or not. As long as the base loves Trump and doesn't give a shit about, or actively opposes, this investigation, there's no incentive for Republicans in Congress to be anything but completely aligned with Trump on firing Comey and replacing him with a stooge.

Why do you believe this? Honest question. We already have the republican leadership defending this move and falling into line behind trump. We've seen that his followers fell in line for ACHA as well. It feels like 40% of the country are basically lost to you now in terms of rational behaviour or the ability to consider their team might have done something wrong.

Despite Trump's harcore fans moving towards liking the ACHA, its overall opinion hasn't really moved much

Which is bad for the GOP, not good. The die hards approving it doesn't matter that much, they'd vote for them if they killed their mother (maybe literally in this case). If them moving full on to supporting it, and the overall opinion only moves a couple of percentage points, despite them, that means there's quite a lot of people now against it as well that balance it out. And those against it now might be/probably are swing voters, not die hards.

The majority of people want a special investigation. They want answers. People are furious over this move. They're fighting with the reps to get an investigation. There's a protest happening today.

Yeah sorry you're right guys the investigation is over all the evidence will be destroyed and I'll go back to playing Persona 5 now, hopefully I'll beat it before the world ends.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
It's what makes me think when push comes to shove, and Trump finally tries to do something that doesn't even hold the base argument of "The President technically has that right." they'll spring into action, well aware their own party will, in fact, be on the line at that point.

And can we please tone down the doom and gloom, apocalyptic "democracy is dead all hail fuehrer Trump" BS fear mongering? Yes, this really sucks, yes this could be very very bad in the long run. But I've seen at least two people comment about losing all hope, looking for reassurance, and one actually mentioning suicide as one of their only options for a way out of all this. I'd really rather not people lose their lives over speculative fear-mongering.

While I'm sure some of these remarks were made in frustration, I do worry about people reading this forum and jumping to the gun. Especially in PoliGAF, which is meant to be a bit more sane, I find it disappointing how willfully so many are spouting about the fall of democracy and the end of the US as if fact. That's scary shit, and maybe you're feeling scared to, but that's no reason to produce a line of thinking that only furthers to produce anxiety and depression.

I know tensions were high last night and this development blind-sided a lot of people, but with a day it'd be nice for everyone to calm down a little bit.

IF, IF things were to really get that bad, and a revolution was required to take back the country, hope and faith would be required, not long installed apathy and anxiety.

No reason to say the world is over yet. In the OT threads it is very doom and gloom and everyone jumps to the end of the world. No one looks at it and just takes their time to notice things.

It will be a long process and hope for the best.

Blader

One possible silver lining is that Comey's firing will prompt many of his allies in the bureau to begin leaking out information if they feel Trump's replacement director begins moving against the investigation.

That's a pretty shitty expectation to have for how the FBI should conduct investigations, but it's, fortunately or unfortunately, our current best case scenario.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
One possible silver lining is that Comey's firing will prompt many of his allies in the bureau to begin leaking out information if they feel Trump's replacement director begins moving against the investigation.

That's a pretty shitty expectation to have for how the FBI should conduct investigations, but it's, fortunately or unfortunately, our current best case scenario.

Sessions is already interviewing replacements. So he is trying to get this shut down fast especially the reports of Trump yelling at his tv over the Russia talk.

#BREAKING: McConnell rejects call for special prosecutor–Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel... via @POLITICO for i

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/862311607183044609

Sessions is already interviewing replacements. So he is trying to get this shut down fast especially the reports of Trump yelling at his tv over the Russia talk.

This is only for interim replacements and is also required by law, I think? Like they have one or two days to find an interim director while they look for the long-term replacement.

Blader

Feeling like they're being shut down by a Trump stooge would only further prompt rank-and-file agents to leak info, I would think?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Feeling like they're being shut down by a Trump stooge would only further prompt rank-and-file agents to leak info, I would think?

We can hope. GOP members are falling inline especially the turtle and Cruz.

C_eMsQdVoAIKzmz.jpg

I would have been surprised if McConnell and Cruz didn't fall in line. Cruz has no integrity what so ever. Not even when Trump insulted his wife and accused his father of assassinating JFK.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I would have been surprised if McConnell and Cruz didn't fall in line. Cruz has no integrity what so ever. Not even when Trump insulted his wife and accused his father of assassinating JFK.

How traditional roughneck conservatives who believe in being a "real man" can have respect for Cruz at this point is baffling to me. Because under traditional masculine values, I can tell you exactly what I'd do to a man who spoke about my wife the way Trump did to Cruz's, and it sure as shit isn't to hop on the phones for him.

benjipwns

Banned
How traditional roughneck conservatives who believe in being a "real man" can have respect for Cruz at this point is baffling to me. Because under traditional masculine values, I can tell you exactly what I'd do to a man who spoke about my wife the way Trump did to Cruz's, and it sure as shit isn't to hop on the phones for him.
The Zodiac Killer has to lay low dude

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Right and it wasn't just his wife. He came after his father and himself. Have a backbone and stand up for yourself.

Don't think Spicer will be back anytime soon.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be doing the briefing today because Spicer says he has Navy Reserve duty. This is what he said about her Monday:
C_ePPC_XsAENOAY.jpg

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/862315483550408706

Slacker

I know Trump is incapable of hiring someone even remotely suited for their job, but Sarah Huckabee Sanders is still mystifying to me. How can Trump possibly watch her on TV and think, now there's a person who is articulate and convincing!

Their hate of women and gay people overshadows their dignity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The audacity of it was just amazing. And Cruz? Him folding like a punk just makes it all the funnier.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
A Reporter Was Arrested for Asking Secretary Tom Price a Question

In a day of truly cinematic developments from the executive branch, one nearly slipped by. Journalist Dan Heyman, a producer for Public News Service, approached Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price and his colleague Kellyanne Conway at the capitol building in West Virginia to ask them a question about the American Health Care Act. A few minutes later, he was arrested.

Preliminary eye-witness reports suggest that capitol police were unaware Heyman was a member of the press. He was reportedly detained after getting too close to Price and Conway. Heyman was charged with "willful destruction of state government processes" by the capitol police and held in a regional jail for several hours. He was released on $5,000 bond.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a54993/reporter-arrested-secretary-tom-price/

royalan

The biggest mistake Democrats have made and continue to make is thinking there's any hope left in the Republican party. There isn't.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Right and it wasn't just his wife. He came after his father and himself. Have a backbone and stand up for yourself.

Don't think Spicer will be back anytime soon.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be doing the briefing today because Spicer says he has Navy Reserve duty. This is what he said about her Monday:
C_ePPC_XsAENOAY.jpg

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/862315483550408706
Must be cause the hiding behind the bushes didn't work last night.

C_d5inOWsAAdEdV.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er220am:homepage/story&utm_term=.34ce4abf3374

8enh86Q.jpg

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

The Roger Stone report on @CNN is false - Fake News. Have not spoken to Roger in a long time - had nothing to do with my decision.
10,100 replies 6,638 retweets 21,101 likes
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

caught, he cried like a baby and begged for forgiveness...and now he is judge & jury. He should be the one who is investigated for his acts.
9,877 replies 6,268 retweets 24,173 likes
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

years, as a pol in Connecticut, Blumenthal would talk of his great bravery and conquests in Vietnam - except he was never there. When....
6,443 replies 6,610 retweets 22,745 likes
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Watching Senator Richard Blumenthal speak of Comey is a joke. "Richie" devised one of the greatest military frauds in U.S. history. For....
6,464 replies 7,041 retweets 23,993 likes
Donald J. Trump Retweeted
DRUDGE REPORT‏ @DRUDGE_REPORT 4h4 hours ago

10 SCANDALS ON DIRECTOR'S WATCH... http://bit.ly/2qqMQlq
1,901 replies 4,492 retweets 10,290 likes
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 4h4 hours ago

Comey lost the confidence of almost everyone in Washington, Republican and Democrat alike. When things calm down, they will be thanking me!
17,852 replies 10,041 retweets 37,461 likes

James Comey will be replaced by someone who will do a far better job, bringing back the spirit and prestige of the FBI.
12,667 replies 10,065 retweets 38,711 likes
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 4h4 hours ago

The Democrats have said some of the worst things about James Comey, including the fact that he should be fired, but now they play so sad!

Is it wishing too much that the IC go ham on Flynn and Stone?

Pretty amazing that this vote happened this morning. Yes we may be in the middle of a Constitutional Crisis, but we sure as hell can't delay destroying the environment for a few days.

This actually couldn't have waited a few days because of that stupid 90 day overturn rule. Now McConnell needs 60 votes to overcome a filibuster and won't get it.

Blader

Some GOP have some hope.

Moderate GOPer Charlie Dent: Firing "both confounding and troubling, and it is now harder to resist calls for an independent investigation."

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/862321025253552128

Harder...but not impossible!

This actually couldn't have waited a few days because of that stupid 90 day overturn rule. Now McConnell needs 60 votes to overcome a filibuster and won't get it.

I thought the window on repealing regulations via CRA closed yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom