• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puck You, I'm Doing Me: An EASHL Saga: From Foes to Bros

eznark

Banned
there are pickup hockey games?

Not so much where I live now (takes me like an hour to get to the nearest rink) but when I lived in Boston and Milwaukee there were tons of mens leagues. Boston sucked because I was deemed too "good" (this basically just meant I could skate and was under 30) to play in the shit leagues and was forced to play in the good leagues. The thing that sucks is that the good leagues in Boston are generally former fucking BU and BC guys, some AHL'ers and even some junior players who were home for the holidays. I felt like a retard every Tuesday night!

It was way better in Milwaukee since it was mostly just guys like me who topped out at high school hockey or low juniors and were looking to keep skating.

It's fucking bleak in southern Indiana. I coach my wifes nephew a bit but the rink he skates at has no mens leagues this winter. They apparently did a few years ago but it died.

LiveWire

Reading some of these posts...doesn't ANYONE watch hockey? I figured there would be some learning curve just getting used to the controls for the game but wow, it's like some of you have never even seen a hockey game before, lol. I'm in Vegas this weekend but I will be joining y'all next week to be the garbageman in front of the net.

eznark

Banned
Reading some of these posts...doesn't ANYONE watch hockey? I figured there would be some learning curve just getting used to the controls for the game but wow, it's like some of you have never even seen a hockey game before, lol.

I think listening to Smokey ask hockey questions was one of the most enjoyable experiences of playing this so far!

"yo what da fuck is icing?!"

TheCrow

Reading some of these posts...doesn't ANYONE watch hockey? I figured there would be some learning curve just getting used to the controls for the game but wow, it's like some of you have never even seen a hockey game before, lol. I'm in Vegas this weekend but I will be joining y'all next week to be the garbageman in front of the net.

lol no

are the beezer and pavel bure still playing on the panthers?

Smokey

Not so much where I live now (takes me like an hour to get to the nearest rink) but when I lived in Boston and Milwaukee there were tons of mens leagues. Boston sucked because I was deemed too "good" (this basically just meant I could skate and was under 30) to play in the shit leagues and was forced to play in the good leagues. The thing that sucks is that the good leagues in Boston are generally former fucking BU and BC guys, some AHL'ers and even some junior players who were home for the holidays. I felt like a retard every Tuesday night!

It was way better in Milwaukee since it was mostly just guys like me who topped out at high school hockey or low juniors and were looking to keep skating.

It's fucking bleak in southern Indiana. I coach my wifes nephew a bit but the rink he skates at has no mens leagues this winter. They apparently did a few years ago but it died.

Guess being in Texas skews my view a bit, but that's interesting.

Reading some of these posts...doesn't ANYONE watch hockey?

No.

I'm in Texas bruh football football basketball

I think listening to Smokey ask hockey questions was one of the most enjoyable experiences of playing this so far!

"yo what da fuck is icing?!"

Indeed. My cheeks were hurting from laughing and smiling so much.

Everybody thinks it I just ask it! I'm glad it's all a big joke yall should see the stuff I ask pheeniks on AIM . He's been cool with not straight up loling at me tho

is that the equivalent of somebody asking what holding is in football or something like that

I would say it's probably somebody asking "Why do they keep calling for the ball to go the other way" when somebody just stands in the paint and doesn't move in basketball

Nightz

I'm Asian, I don't know hockey.

Seriously though, I used to watch like in the late 90's. I watched the Mighty Ducks films and started following the real life Ducks. I still don't know what icing is.

LiveWire

are the beezer and pavel bure still playing on the panthers?

Vanbiesbrouck is dead and has been reincarnated as Braden Holtby, and will replicate his feat in 1996 by bringing Lord Stanley's Cup to the Capitals this season. So he's still in the same division at least!

LukeSmith

Yeah I am pretty amused by how little people know about the hockey rules. Crow talking about how it was hard for him to understand "Offsides" yesterday was a delight.

Mexicans have -5 to hockey tho, CB, it's only -2.5 for you, since you're a halfling

Smokey

I would say it's probably somebody asking "Why do they keep calling for the ball to go the other way" when somebody just stands in the paint and doesn't move in basketball

ah ok so it's not that much of a durr question then!

I'm Asian, I don't know hockey.

Seriously though, I used to watch like in the late 90's. I watched the Mighty Ducks films and started following the real life Ducks. I still don't know what icing is.

I am not aloneeeeeeeee

Yeah I am pretty amused by how little people know about the hockey rules. Crow talking about how it was hard for him to understand "Offsides" yesterday was a delight.

Mexicans have -5 to hockey tho, CB, it's only -2.5 for you, since you're a halfling

lol

i picked up offsides pretty quickly. Now I'm trying to move on to understanding strategy because I HAVE NO CLUE. None.

Sokantish

I didn't know what icing was either, I skated around the puck like three times thinking if I touched it I was gonna be called for a penalty :(

I was playing as a center in the be a pro mode, how are you suppose to know where you're suppose to play on the field? I was just wandering around trying to hit people, I don't think that's right

LukeSmith

i picked up offsides pretty quickly. Now I'm trying to move on to understanding strategy because I HAVE NO CLUE. None.

It's k, I got this

I was playing as a center in the be a pro mode, how are you suppose to know where you're suppose to play on the field? I was just wandering around trying to hit people, I don't think that's right

Yeah, Center is not a good new player position.

Sokantish

I just picked center because it was the one that came up by default, I had no idea what I was doing. What position would you suggest?

LiveWire

Ironically I think wingers are best for the noobs. At least you can be focused on mostly trying to score. We need good D-men though, so people should practice that too. It's not a primary scoring position but it is extremely important obviously.

You need to guard the front area of the net and occupy the middle of the ice and kinda help facilitate everything

Don't wander around trying to hit people cause that's what will mess with this team and has been for the first few nights, people who leave their area to puck/hit chase just leaves others on their team wide open and good teams will exploit the shit out of that

Marvie_3

Banned
You need to guard the front area of the net and occupy the middle of the ice and kinda help facilitate everything

Don't wander around trying to hit people cause that's what will mess with this team and has been for the first few nights, people who leave their area to puck/hit chase just leaves others on their team wide open and good teams will exploit the shit out of that

U NEED MOAR DIAGRAMS

TheCrow

It's just hard because offsides to me means something completely different, since it's used in fooball as well. It also makes more sense in football but then again I'm just more familiar with that sport.

Basically people gotta learn that standing around/alone isn't necessarily a bad thing---as you saw a lot of times last night I was camped by the left boards/their defenseman and when the puck got loose or someone on our team had it, I was very wide open and got us into the offensive zone faster

You generally want to try to choke away all their possible passing lanes, if they have 1 guy who beats another one, then so beat it, but let's not have him beat 3

It's just hard because offsides to me means something completely different, since it's used in fooball as well. It also makes more sense in football but then again I'm just more used to it.

Yeah offsides in SOCCER is totally different but in hockey the blue line/offensive zone is their version

BigAT

I grew up an NHL fan, but my interest slowly started to fade and was eventually killed by the last strike/lockout. I haven't been back as a fan, even casually, since then. So I know pretty much all the rules (certainly icing and offsides, lol) but it's a little rusty at the moment.

LiveWire

I grew up an NHL fan, but my interest slowly started to fade and was eventually killed by the last strike/lockout. I haven't been back as a fan, even casually, since then. So I know pretty much all the rules (certainly icing and offsides, lol) but it's a little rusty at the moment.

Well get ready for another lockout on Sat night. NHL 13 will be the only hockey you'll see until next year.

fuck the Rags

LukeSmith

I think a bunch of you wing players should think about what "hand" your player is using, I usually preferred to have left-handed right wingers and right handed left wingers.

Reason being, when those positions move laterally across the crease, they are firing with their forehands, makes setting up for onetimers easier and if you made a big, imposing, John LeClair style winger, you can camp the net a bit and take those rebounds on your forehand.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
God ddamnit I dont know what any of this iis. But I bought a booster pack so atleast my guy won't totally suck

Top Bottom