• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puck You, I'm Doing Me: An EASHL Saga: From Foes to Bros

TheCrow

Good games Soka and pheeniks. We won 4-1 and lost 3-2 but felt we played well in both games. Starting to get a hang of defense but it helps when the front of the goal isn't crowded by everyone.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Good games Soka and pheeniks. We won 4-1 and lost 3-2 but felt we played well in both games. Starting to get a hang of defense but it helps when the front of the goal isn't crowded by everyone.
Very true. One thing that we need to cut down on is the amount of trying to do the jobs of others. Wingers need to stay near the blue line for outlet passes and pressure the opposing defensemen/cycling wingers who are trying to keep the puck in the zone/in the slot. Center needs to float in the middle and also contribute to outlet passes and disrupt centering passes in the slot. Lastly, the defensemen need to work together, but not on top of one another. If the puck goes left of the goal, the LD needs to go defend and the RD needs to move in front of the goal and move anyone who is trying to screen/snag rebounds. And vice-versa when the puck goes right.

DenogginizerOS

LD
RD
LW

I love playing defense in this game. Reading the other thread it's funny because I love starting fast breaks while apparently it has killed the game for Marvie.

I get his frustration. If a good defenseman is patient and distributes the pass well, there can be a lot of breaks IF the opposing wingers and center do little to play defense. With the momentum in skating, if you get caught moving forward on D or anywhere else, people are going to blow by. But people get in these situtations because they stay deep in the offensive zone and don't leave until much too late.

eznark

Banned
I do too, but good God I would not want to play on a video game hockey team that takes this shit so seriously. The most fun is easily the inter-squad games. Once we start diagramming and bitching at each other for improper power play umbrella set up I am out! ... We should box-1 to set up the McNeily knuckle puck anyway!

^lolol denogg

DenogginizerOS

I do too, but good God I would not want to play on a video game hockey team that takes this shit so seriously. The most fun is easily the inter-squad games. Once we start diagramming and bitching at each other for improper power play umbrella set up I am out! ... We should box-1 to set up the McNeily knuckle puck anyway!

^lolol denogg

I do like the lack of "seriosuness", but there are times when we want to win and I am just pointing out some ideas or philosophies. Believe me, I have heard the sighs and comments from a couple when a turnover occurs on D and I am not interested in playing in that environment.

DenogginizerOS

Hell yeah!

I help out with a youth program in Kentucky for kinds under 8. I am confident that I could get them to cycle consistently before we could do so in a video game. It just doesn't seem like (even with the solid skating engine) the game is really built for it.

It all comes down to zone control. We have done it in games, albeit spontaneously, and it is really rewarding to work the puck around for an open shot and get it. But having a laugh is also great, and I get not wanting to overthink this.

eznark

Banned
It all comes down to zone control. We have done it in games, albeit spontaneously, and it is really rewarding to work the puck around for an open shot and get it. But having a laugh is also great, and I get not wanting to overthink this.

I still think the God awful starting ratings make trying to hold the zone complete folly. That combined with the bizarre decision by EA to make catching a puck or picking up a puck along the board impossible and pinching is hard as balls.

McNei1y

So I guess the booster packs are just there to make the beginning better? And that it is necessary to turn it off when you have gained enough xp?

DenogginizerOS

I still think the God awful starting ratings make trying to hold the zone complete folly. That combined with the bizarre decision by EA to make catching a puck or picking up a puck along the board impossible and pinching is hard as balls.

I maxed my puck control and have had some success pushing the stick towards the board rather than just positioning my player close. Without boosts earned or bought, the defensemen are hamstrung with puck control compared to the pokers at wing and center.

And yes, the boost pack is good for early on, but once you get to Veteran/Super Star level, they are worthless. I have my Super Star 1 up to 78 with stats and some boosts I have earned (and a few I bought).

I bought puck control (+5), offensive awareness (+5) and slap shot accuracy (+5). With season ticket discounts, that was less than 600 points and helped add 3 points to my overall score on my Defensive Defenseman.

DenogginizerOS

Here are the positions by interest so far (not ranked in any kind of order or preference):

Center
Denogg
Crow
Nightz
Luke

Left Wing
Nightz
Denogg
Eznark
Sanjuro
Luke

Right Wing
Nightz
Denogg
Luke

Left Defense
Crow
Denogg
Eznark
Mcnei1y
Eznark
Nightz
Luke

Right Defense
Mcnei1y
Crow
Eznark
Nightz
Denogg

LukeSmith

I'm not sure when I'll have time to play again, but my three favorite positions are probably:

C
RW
LD

my three best rated heroes are

C
LW
LD

DenogginizerOS

Clearly, we are a defensive bunch.

I am going to work on improving either my Center or Right Wing. I am passable at face-offs, but I feel more comfortable on the wing overall. My personal best position as far as success has been primarily left defense. Besides being a defensive machine, I have a 92 in slap shot power with an 87 in accuracy. :D

Mrbob

C RW LW

Favorite positon: C against Luke. 100% faceoff win rate!

The easiest money that can be had!

Had a bad experience playing with randoms. Playing Center, and yet our douche RD kept on trying to take the puck up the ice himself on breakaways every time. Pass it to an offensive player, asshole! Killed my position play rating too, ended up with a fucking C+ because I was constantly out of position. I had to play defender as a center on the blue line nearly all game because RD douche kept skating towards the net.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
C RW LW

Had a bad experience playing with randoms. Playing Center, and yet our douche RD kept on trying to take the puck up the ice himself on breakaways every time. Pass it to an offensive player, asshole! Killed my position play rating too, ended up with a fucking C+ because I was constantly out of position. I had to play defender as a center on the blue line nearly all game because RD douche kept skating towards the net.

Sounds familiar...

DenogginizerOS

Sounds familiar...

Yup. Pretty much happens about half the time in drop-in games. The best is when people yell at you on D for not stopping an odd-man rush where you are forced to either skate between the oncoming skaters or try to check the puck away from one before they dish to the other.

C RW LW

The easiest money that can be had!

that is really funny because when we play you are never in the right spot either and demand passing at the worst times
Only when phee's shitty friend isnt doing his job

And im just good enough to pull it off too

he shouldn't have rushed up as much as he did, and I told him to quit being a smartass, but our forwards yesterday kept crowding the defensive area/loose puck situations. unless there is nobody back there you should try to let the dman get it and wait for a pass up top cause having 3 back there is redundant, and gets us more breakaways

and dmen should pass to a forward quickly but I am clearly am no expert o that

but this club is PYIDM and you want to roam so be it!

TheCrow

and dmen should pass to a forward quickly but I am clearly am no expert o that
It'll be easier to pass it up when the forwards stop chasing the puck. Right now there is usually only one guy near the blue line and he is surrounded by defenders.
Bo Jackson has no preferred position because he knows how to play all of them so well.
Bo needs to try playing forward more after those goals you got yesterday.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
You could understand why i would chase the puck down. Half the time its the defenders wondering why they cant take the puck from the dude. The other half is them self goaling.

Those same games where i was roaming and chasing things down is where i scored one goal and assisted on another. Im capable of playing both roles

You could understand why i would chase the puck down. Half the time its the defenders wondering why they cant take the puck from the dude. The other half is them self goaling.

Those same games where i was roaming and chasing things down is where i scored one goal and assisted on another. Im capable of playing both roles

If you're chasing the puck because you don't think the defender can get it, then you can't blame him when he wants to leak out to the spot where you're supposed to be on offense. You're supposed to receive passes to leak out, not the other way around

McNei1y

If you're chasing the puck because you don't think the defender can get it, then you can't blame him when he wants to leak out to the spot where you're supposed to be on offense. You're supposed to receive passes to leak out, not the other way around

That's definitely the main problem with us. We all play out of position and we all chase the puck. That one team we played yesterday in the 6 on 6 game all stayed in precise zones and it was perfect for them since they could pass the puck around. We were like 4 men deep by the goalie running around like we were in a Scooby Doo chase scene.

But it's still funny as shit and I know we'll get over it at some point.

Top Bottom