• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

Draugoth

Gold Member
ghost-of-tsushima-2-confirmed-as-ghost-of-yotei-at-state-of_3vap.jpg

Source

Earlier this week during Sony's State of Play, the company announced Ghost of Yotei, the first sequel to the acclaimed Ghost of Tsushima. But instead of continuing the story of Jin Sakai, Ghost of Yotei jumps ahead a few centuries and introduces a new female ronin named Atsu, who has adopted Jin's Ghost persona as her own. Somewhat predictably, Atsu's very existence has already sparked a backlash from gamers who don't want to play as a heroine. That led to a direct response from ex-Sony executive Shawn Layden.

Layden, who was the former chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios, reacted to a post on X that complained about Atsu. Layden's reply was simple: "It's a game. If you don't like it, don't buy it."

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I like him, because he was the one who listened to the public and supported Gravity Rush.

And speaking of the game, the protagonist seems to be made of clay or plastic.

LordCBH

I don’t think there’s an issue here?

Like that main character is a chick. So what? Nothing has led me to believe the game won’t be like the first one: fucking great. Sucker Punch has a great track record, and, until I see something worth complaining about, it’s fine.

The actress playing the character being crazy doesn’t mean the character is. Until we see any actual evidence the game is pushing things that it shouldn’t, I’ll continue to ravenously look forward to it.

Wait. There's a controversy regarding the game protagonist being a woman? I don't see any problem with that. As a matter of fact, since the days of Samus, Lara Croft and even Lightning from FFXIII, I'm a big supporter of female protagonist in games and in stories overall.

Do not confuse this with being a supporter of 'forced inclusivity'. That and having a good female protagonist are two very different topics altogether.

HogIsland

"don't like it, don't buy it" is a pussy response from a person who's apparently interested in growing the audience for videogames.

it should be "don't like it, you're a degenerate who will never enjoy the loving embrace of another human"

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
He hasn't worked for Sony in years, but the statement is true. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Water is wet. Doesn’t mean we need to remind folk. Not everyone knows he’s not with Sony. I mean, I don’t keep track of who all comes and goes. This statement sounds like it comes from someone involved with the project.

FingerBang

are people really complaining about the protag being a woman? all i've seen is caution cause the motion actor is omega woke.
People are going full retard, proving again and again that both the woke and the anti-woke are mentally ill.
Yes, the actress seems to be super woke... like most goddamn actors? But she's not a writer on the game, she's there to act.

For fuck's sake, I played the entirety of Rise of the Ronin as a chick. Plenty of women as important characters, including warriors. Was the game woke? Did it lecture me about systemic racism and cisheteronormativity? Nope.

The "keep politics out of my games" now see politics everywhere.

Aenima

I think the players already got that memo, look at Concord, ppl didnt liked it, didnt bought it, game crashed and burned, studio most likelly to be closed.

I like the protagonist of Ghost of Yotei... so far. If later i see something i dont like about it, i have no problems in not buying it too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Water is wet. Doesn’t mean we need to remind folk. Not everyone knows he’s not with Sony. I mean, I don’t keep track of who all comes and goes. This statement sounds like it comes from someone involved with the project.
It's literally in the title. (Former PlayStation CEO)

This is an enthusiast board where people ball hock executives past and present all the time. No excuses, NO MERCY!

Cobra Kai GIF by NETFLIX

Bombolone

Gold Member
Yep. They are going to get in Sucker Punch’s way.
Masterfully done Sony.
I look forward to the unhinged rant, maybe even music video? from the VA actress in the near future.

It's fascinating how angry some people got over a short trailer where the protagonist didn't even say or do anything other than standing still and giving wolf a nod. All this anger just because the main character is a female.

Wait. There's a controversy regarding the game protagonist being a woman? I don't see any problem with that. As a matter of fact, since the days of Samus, Lara Croft and even Lightning from FFXIII, I'm a big supporter of female protagonist in games and in stories overall.

Do not confuse this with being a supporter of 'forced inclusivity'. That and having a good female protagonist are two very different topics altogether.
Yes and no. I encourage you to head over to the GoY thread to understand the discussion better. There is nuance and points made by many posters with different POV.
Bartski Bartski also has a thread where we get to share our ideas and hopes for what is in store for us in 2025!
Both very fun threads in the community!

midnightAI

People can say what they want and customers can buy what they want.

I always find it amazing how brash video game employees are against gamers on social media. It's pretty hard to find execs or employees in other industries smack talking back when customers dont like something.

A truly combative bunch.
You do know he doesn't work for Sony anymore don't you?

Top Bottom