• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake releases October 8th 2024! | State of Play

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never get your hopes up for a Bloober Team game. All their games get around 70/100.

On the plus side, their games are usually budget priced. So the game probably isnt $70 US/$90 CDN.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never get your hopes up for a Bloober Team game. All their games get around 70/100.

On the plus side, their games are usually budget priced. So the game probably isnt $70 US/$90 CDN.

tumblr_nftp2plep81tdwamwo4_r1_400.gif

6AcEuKT.jpeg

SenkiDala

Fuck's sake, what happened here? The game looked so damn good in the announcement trailer.
They don't understand what SH2 is... Like they didn't understand Blair Witch... It seems that Bloober remains incompetent at making at least descent games. It looks below the average like all their past productions. Who the fuck at Konami decided to give them this masterpiece to remake ?

Asking Bloober to remake SH2 is like... I dunno, asking the Jonas Brothers to recompose the 4 seasons of Vivaldi, that's out of their reach.

Just pathetic...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
48 hour early access for $80 USD. I don’t get the masks. I will say I’m tempted as a fanboy of this franchise, but some of their design choices are questionably bad. Blooper isn’t even close to Team Silent’s characters and they were on much older hardware. It’s crazy.
5fxCHcz.jpeg

Doom85

Honestly not bad, looks immersive and good to play.
Silent Hill was Always a ripoff of Resident Evil so i dont mind that lol but game looks nice and i will buy it.

This, the complaints of “they made it like RE!” are confusing to say the least.

And while it doesn’t look like a modern gen game, so? Weren’t a ton of people on Gaf saying graphics should stop being overly focused on as it makes game development go on too long and the budget too huge? Where’s the consistency? Just give me a creepy atmosphere, lots to explore, and don’t change the story/characters, and everything indicates they’re doing that.

The most important thing about the trailer was that it confirmed the crosshair can be turned off for maximum difficulty and immersion.

I agree about the gameplay livestream being a much better watch.

Hohenheim

Gameplay shown at transmission looked good, except for the terrible frame rate / stuttering. I'm sure it won't be like that when released though. That would've been the real horror of the game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Season 2 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

I’m not seeing any weapons/items locked behind the deluxe edition, so nothing worth grilling about in my book. Oh no, I’ll miss out on three masks I would never use, how will I survive?

This doesn't seem like the kind of game to pull off Ubisoft style early access shit, just a bit off-putting seeing those charts.

Shakka43

Gameplay shown at transmission looked good, except for the terrible frame rate / stuttering. I'm sure it won't be like that when released though. That would've been the real horror of the game.
Lets just hope it has a performance mode. The Medium didn't run that well either so that part is a bit concerning. Gameplay, visuals and game direction all look fine.

Vick

Gold Member
You guys are fucking insane if you think this game looks bad visually.

The gameplay demo looked breathtaking, a true next-gen and UE5 showcase.
Visually, when it comes to the Gameplay Demo I agree.

Gameplay animations are behind PS2 games though. Not the mention the rest of the game, every aspect of what concerns authoriality and sense of dread in particular, in comparison to the original.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257026897/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1717109160

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Angela looked like Sandy Cheeks, but otherwise....

It gives you a good idea of what their deal is - use Silent Hill 2 remake and the movie to tie into each other demographic/sales wise and try and make movie goers who aren't gamers cross over and vice versa. Someone figured out how to weaponize the Naughty Dog trick. Maybe.

From an appearance and gameplay perspective, yeah....this looks good. Looks like it plays solid, isn't horrifically combat focused, has a behind the back third person camera. I think it's gonna be a killer title.

^ is what I'd say if this came out two or three years after the PS4 launch.

That said, I'd rather have a title that emulates widely accepted game design from 10 years ago than a large majority of whatever the fuck they're doing in contemporary games. It might be a "wait for the Thanksgiving psn sale," style of "I'd rather," but I digress.

Doom85

Hearing the director talk about the Silent Hill 2 movie:

-assumed he would have to explain the game to the production team, set designers, makeup, etc., only for many of them to be fans of the game themselves
-minimal CGI apparently, pretty much all the creatures will be played by dancers and acrobats and such
-Akira Yamaoka‘s music will be used for the film just like the original film

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

It gives you a good idea of what their deal is - use Silent Hill 2 remake and the movie to tie into each other demographic/sales wise and try and make movie goers who aren't gamers cross over and vice versa. Someone figured out how to weaponize the Naughty Dog trick. Maybe.

From an appearance and gameplay perspective, yeah....this looks good. Looks like it plays solid, isn't horrifically combat focused, has a behind the back third person camera. I think it's gonna be a killer title.

^ is what I'd say if this came out two or three years after the PS4 launch.
Animation wise, I'd agree with this take. Otherwise, I think the PS4's jet engine would burn up at the amount of volumetric fog I saw in this slice of gameplay.

Funniest thing I've read all day!

There's a difference between being an inspiration/competitor and a ripoff. Go back and play the original of both series'. One had 3D backgrounds, deliberate lack of combat, and darker themes by a country mile.
People said then when I was a kid. They're two very different games. They shared fixed camera angles and horror themes. But that's all. RE could be considered a rip off of Alone in the Dark. Would you say Galerians is a resident evil rip off or Dino crisis? No. They share similarities because of the technology at the time and how games were made. But the identity and concept of each game couldn't be further apart.

Resident evil is good violence and gore, body horror and plenty of shock. Silent hill was always playing with your mind. Using sound and atmosphere to terrify you.

I have to say though, I'm pretty fucking mad there isn't a physical collectors edition.

Doom85

So zero info on Silent Hill Townfall and Silent Hill F. Disappointing, but I’ll let them cook. The former, I’ve not played their indie games but they’re supposed to be quite good, and the latter is being written by the Higurashi writer and that guy knows him some damn horror.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
People said then when I was a kid. They're two very different games. They shared fixed camera angles and horror themes. But that's all. RE could be considered a rip off of Alone in the Dark. Would you say Galerians is a resident evil rip off or Dino crisis? No. They share similarities because of the technology at the time and how games were made. But the identity and concept of each game couldn't be further apart.

Resident evil is good violence and gore, body horror and plenty of shock. Silent hill was always playing with your mind. Using sound and atmosphere to terrify you.

I have to say though, I'm pretty fucking mad there isn't a physical collectors edition.
giphy.webp

Doom85

Pretty sure most of us are talking about the general control scheme when saying the original SHs were like the original REs, and those saying the SH 2 remake looks like the new REs (due to being fully third person now). The differing elements of the two series weren’t really what most of us were even talking about.

Muffdraul

After the reception of the first gameplay footage months ago, I seriously expected them to re-do the gun sound fx. They still sound like water balloons filled with tapioca pudding being thrown at a brick wall.

Top Bottom