• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIlent Hill 2 Remake | Review Thread

What scores do you think Silent Hill 2 Remake will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 56-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 36 18.3%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see it's already starting in this thread...

salty-salt.gif

GHG

ok OK OK I was wrong but NOW the age old question.

PS5 VS PC?

Depends on what hardware you're rocking:

The definitive version of Silent Hill 2 is the PC version​

To see the game as it was visually conceived, we first ran it on a computer with the following characteristics

• CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
  • Motherboard: Z790 AORUS Elite AX
  • Cooling system: Aorus Waterforce X240
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
  • SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2

In this configuration, we were able to run it at over 60 FPS natively, finding really spectacular visuals and ray tracing, especially in dark places, which gives it a unique atmosphere that really makes us feel like we are in Silent Hill, but the particle effects of the fog take on a unique realism.

Silent Hill 2 on Steam Deck​

When we interviewed the Bloober team, they had confessed to us that several of them were players of Valve’s portable platform, and boy did they make it clear, because Silent Hill 2 runs great. Whether in the normal or OLED version, the game gives over 30 FPS and is fully playable in the native resolution of 1280 x 800, activating the FSR 1.0 with the default settings in quality and the predefined settings of rendering quality at the lowest, even comes at times to exceed the average of 40 FPS. On the other hand, if you select the performance mode, you can even brush up to 60 FPS, something incredible for the type of game and graphics engine. In the case of the portable PC, Lenovo Legion Go, we could also play it with the highest values, although it is advisable to play it with the same configuration of the Steam Deck in the resolution of 1280x800 and the screen refresh at 60Hz to have a longer battery life.

I'm still waiting on a more thorough analysis to appear, but it's looking like PC should be the way to go provided your hardware is better than what's in the PS5.

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I knew after the most recent footage this was gonna be good.

Sony scores another win console exclusive for the year.

If not for Concord every single release either from them or their partners this year would be a win so far. Incredible .
They have been king of third party releases. FF7 Rebirth, Helldivers 2, and Silent Hill 2 could all contend for GOTY, and Astrobot(first party) is probably winning it. Not to mention Rise of the Ronin, which is probably my GOTY, even with all its quirks

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

I'm still waiting on a more thorough analysis to appear, but it's looking like PC should be the way to go provided your hardware is better than what's in the PS5.
I’m going PC for this. Hopefully the 7900 XTX with its weaker ray tracing can handle it.

Edit: I say weak, it’s RT is about 3090 level.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

Sorry to be that guy but... don't buy into the hype yet gents - I think that most reviewers A) haven't played the OG and B) even if they played it, they must have expected something...not good (it's Bloober after all) and they're actually surprised that it's not so, basically, this is the typical honeymoon period where excitement is at an all time high and most problems can be overlooked - look at the Polish review which is one of the few that mentions the character models for example (i.e, they're bad).

Let's not kid ourselves , while this might not be horrible like many were expecting, Bloober never was nor will it ever be or produce "9/10" material.

Personally, a game with those faces/character models, those janky-ass animations and jerky cutscene jump-cuts and weird framing cannot be a 9/10 in my book.

I insist that Bloober team are lower bid hacks and that they'll never be able to produce something extraordinary (on their own).
Dude I still play block faced games (n64) character models don't influence my enjoyment of playing games. I'm no pussy 😤

TrebleShot

Wow, love this rundown, thank you very much, this site usually have comparisons like this? The steam deck/ally question I was wondering too.

Dafegamer

That's not the argument though. A 10 out of 10 is supposed to be a very rare occasion and they're giving it out like candy which dilutes any 10 they provide for any video game, regardless if they are universally acclaimed or not.
Might be, but I checked it isn't that bad tho. Out of 400 games they reviewed, only 14 are perfect scores. That's only 3% not that bad actually

GHG

Wow, love this rundown, thank you very much, this site usually have comparisons like this? The steam deck/ally question I was wondering too.

No idea, it's just the only article I could find that talks about PC performance at this stage. But yeh, I really do wish more outlets would start including PC handhelds as part of their test suite, surprised digital foundry don't do this.

I am so happy. The game looks amazing, and the performance doesn't seem to be an issue, though haven't seen any PC info yet (please no stutter jittery crap). The low score reviewer must be a rage bait clickbait piece of shit, or they have no experience in what actual games are (or they hope to work for IGN). I am so excited to play this on Sunday, and I hope new players enjoy the experience.

Edit - Just seen that Digital Foundry tweet about the Ray Tracing that someone posted here. That looks amazing too!

Last edited:

GHG

I am so happy. The game looks amazing, and the performance doesn't seem to be an issue, though haven't seen any PC info yet (please no stutter jittery crap). The low score reviewer must be a rage bait clickbait piece of shit, or they have no experience in what actual games are (or they hope to work for IGN). I am so excited to play this on Sunday, and I hope new players enjoy the experience.

Hopefully not, but...

Hohenheim

Link ? Frame gen ?
"The remake takes advantage of recent technologies like FSR, DLSS, and ray tracing, providing a great experience for modern setups. For less powerful machines, it is still possible to enjoy a satisfying visual immersion without sacrificing the overall quality of the experience by adjusting the graphics settings to medium or low."

(Translated)
From this french review:

luca_29_bg

"The remake takes advantage of recent technologies like FSR, DLSS, and ray tracing, providing a great experience for modern setups. For less powerful machines, it is still possible to enjoy a satisfying visual immersion without sacrificing the overall quality of the experience by adjusting the graphics settings to medium or low."

(Translated)
From this french review:

So no frame gen :(

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

The definitive version of Silent Hill 2 is the PC version​

To see the game as it was visually conceived, we first ran it on a computer with the following characteristics

• CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
  • Motherboard: Z790 AORUS Elite AX
  • Cooling system: Aorus Waterforce X240
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
  • SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
What an odd thing to say by the author.

With this configuration, is there any game whose definitive version wouldn't be the PC version?

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
OKay, so.. those of us that "overpaid" and want to play this 2 days sooner... tonight or tomorrow night? I think we preload tonight and this unlocks sometime tomorrow?
I'm a bit more excited, now that we got some kind of picture as to what to expect.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
See PC is better than PS5 I can finally sleep well. In this video I am going to show you all the ways PC is better than shitty PS5 hardware using my $3000 PC.
This is why I can't take this guy seriously. He always has to find the PC > Console angle. I would be more interested in knowing how the PC version scales down relative to Console and benchmark against the an average PC spec that the majority of people actually use for gaming. I guess their target audience are people that just want to re-affirm their preferences one way or another, so whatever keeps them happy.

His comment about a lot of PC UE5 games not shipping with RT on PC may actually be because consoles couldn't handle it in a meaningful way and it was seen as a niche audience that would care on PC even. Maybe (just maybe) the inclusion of better RT capability in the PS5 Pro has now incentivised studios to add it to games they would have previously not bothered with.

This is why I can't take this guy seriously. He always has to find the PC > Console angle. I would be more interested in knowing how the PC version scales down relative to Console and benchmark against the an average PC spec that the majority of people actually use for gaming. I guess their target audience are people that just want to re-affirm their preferences one way or another, so whatever keeps them happy.

His comment about a lot of PC UE5 games not shipping with RT on PC may actually be because consoles couldn't handle it in a meaningful way and it was seen as a niche audience that would care on PC even. Maybe (just maybe) the inclusion of better RT capability in the PS5 Pro has now incentivised studios to add it to games they would have previously not bothered with.

Some of you are crazy lmao, he covers all platforms, recently he covered GoW:R and talked about how PC version even on a high end machine is pretty much the same as the PS5 version and i saw nobody feeling attacked and saying he's insulting the PC community or any stupid stuff like that.

In this case it's great to see Silent Hill is scalable and look great on PC, and it also looks nice on PS5 too, coming from the company who brought The Medium, which struggled on every PC and looked like shit on Xbox and only at 30 FPS, this is good!, tho i still expect the game to have a lot of flaws, after all bloober sucks on the technical aspect.

Gotta say too that it's very curious how this 2024 looked so bad for PS5 back in January and it ended up being the best year up there with 2022, pretty much everything overdelivered, HD2, Stellar Blade, SH, FF Rebirth, Astro Bot, even it got a ninja last hour console exclusive with Wukong, wait and see Lego Horizon getting nice reviews too lol.

And don't get offended that much over anything DF says guys, remember, PS5 is a piece of plastic, it doesn't have feelings!

Top Bottom