• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

skullgirls on 360 seems to crash to dashboard when quitting from the training room, happened to me twice now just after loading when the music for the menu kicks in, everything goes black and i'm back on the 360 dash.

The bottom option quits all the way out of the game.

Pick exit match, that takes back to the menu.

The bottom option quits all the way out of the game.

Pick exit match, that takes back to the menu.

why.jpg

I thought that I was picking the right thing unless i'm just not seeing it.

*edit* I thought xbla games were not allowed to close like that? anyway you can just guide button + y to do the same thing in any game anyway.

Crocodile

Lack of in game move list = No buy. And I really wanted to support this.

Really? Do you realize how petty this sounds? In the time it took you to make this post online, you could have accessed the information probably several times over. For a game that requires a broadband connection to own. Not going to argue that it doesn't suck and needs to be in there but the developers have already explained why it wasn't in and that it will be there soon.

V_Arnold

Lack of in game move list = No buy. And I really wanted to support this.

Turn this around. If you REALLY wanted to support something that will add Move list in its first patch, the most reasonable thing to do is to SUPPORT it by buying it immediately. Supporting something means allowing it to not be perfect immediately, because otherwise it would not need support in the first place.

Really? Do you realize how petty this sounds? In the time it took you to make this post online, you could have accessed the information probably several times over. For a game that requires a broadband connection to own. Not going to argue that it doesn't suck and needs to be in there but the developers have already explained why it wasn't in and that it will be there soon.

Yeah, it's just one of those basic things I've come to expect from a fighting game. Out of curiosity, I've done some cursory searches, what was the reason for the lack of that support?

Edit: Ah, found an article. Basic lack of time. Were they committed to a release date or something? Seems like something that can't have taken that long to implement.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, it's just one of those basic things I've come to expect from a fighting game. Out of curiosity, I've done some cursory searches, what was the reason for the lack of that support?

It would have taken too much time and they had more pressing matters to attend to.

Turn this around. If you REALLY wanted to support something that will add Move list in its first patch, the most reasonable thing to do is to SUPPORT it by buying it immediately. Supporting something means allowing it to not be perfect immediately, because otherwise it would not need support in the first place.

I want to make it clear that I think Skullgirls is a good game.

But this reasoning is fairly ridiculous, as is anyone else's who is saying "MOVELIST? JUST GOOGLE IT, NOOB"

When fighting games started providing in-game movelists, that was considered an improvement. Not having something like that is not an improvement. It's a little silly when somebody says they won't buy Skullgirls because of it, but it's also a little silly to use it as a platform to suggest people buy the game and it's double super silly to defend the lack of an in-game movelist as a good idea.

Even if you complete the tutorial, it's a good idea to have a movelist to reference without having to put down the controller. Suggesting I should buy Skullgirls for a feature it doesn't currently have but might have at some point in the future if I buy it is completely outrageous.

Dachande

Edit: Ah, found an article. Basic lack of time. Were they committed to a release date or something? Seems like something that can't have taken that long to implement.

They were told to get it out the door ASAP, and yes, it can take a reasonable amount of time to implement.

If you really did want to support it, buy the game regardless. Movelists are coming in the first patch anyway.

V_Arnold

But this reasoning is fairly ridiculous, as is anyone else's who is saying "MOVELIST? JUST GOOGLE IT, NOOB"

When fighting games started providing in-game movelists, that was considered an improvement. Not having something like that is not an improvement. It's a little silly when somebody says they won't buy Skullgirls because of it, but it's also a little silly to use it as a platform to suggest people buy the game and it's double super silly to defend the lack of an in-game movelist as a good idea.

Even if you complete the tutorial, it's a good idea to have a movelist to reference without having to put down the controller is a good idea. Suggesting I should buy Skullgirls for a feature it doesn't currently have but might have at some point in the future if I buy it is completely outrageous.

Sorry, man. You can clearly see my post. I did not say google it, "noob". It was HE who said "I really wanted to support it". This is not the attitude when someone REALLY wants to support it. Quite the opposite: it feels like "I really want to find a reason why I should NOT support it".

I am not demanding him to support it. But it would do good to recognize what one means and one one says and whether there is a disconnect between those concepts or not. Because that attitude is not a supportive one. Also, by the time it took to write this down, one character's movelist could be memorized. Easily.

This entitlement mentality is fine with me in an AAA+ game where it is marketed as EPIC SAGA PART 3: FUCK WHOEVER YOU WANT, but with Skullgirl's case, I do not see another indie project on the horizon that needs the support so strongly. If you love the idea of an alternate scene where an indie FGC can actually be played for years to come, Skullgirls IS to be supported.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Even if you complete the tutorial, it's a good idea to have a movelist to reference without having to put down the controller is a good idea. Suggesting I should buy Skullgirls for a feature it doesn't currently have but might have at some point in the future if I buy it is completely outrageous.

Yes but this isn't the 90s where there no were forums and the internet to turn to when you needed to know a move, combos, strategies and the likes. Also unlike back then, people are more willing to help you out when it comes to fighting games.
Developer already explained what happened and it's coming in a patch, it's not like they are totally ignoring the thing.
The important thing is that the game is out, people are enjoying it and it's a success thus far.

Funny thing about all of this. I know a lot of people don't even bother looking at the command list. They just jump in and learn from experience. If you are not new to fighting games, it's just common knowledge to try out things like, QFB, down, down, down, charging, etc in order to figure out moves.

Bottom line is that's a pretty stupid reason not to buy a fighting game. If a fighting game interests you, an in game move list is one of the last things you should worry about.

Yes but this isn't the 90s where there no were forums and the internet to turn to when you needed to know a move, combos, strategies and the likes. Also unlike back then, people are more willing to help you out when it comes to fighting games.
Developer already explained what happened and it's coming in a patch, it's not like they are totally ignoring the thing.
The important thing is that the game is out, people are enjoying it and it's a success thus far.

Funny thing about all of this. I know a lot of people don't even bother looking at the command list. They just jump in and learn from experience. If you are not new to fighting games, it's just common knowledge to try out things like, QFB, down, down, down, charging, etc in order to figure out moves.

Bottom line is that's a pretty stupid reason not to buy a fighting game. If a fighting game interests you, an in game move list is one of the last things you should worry about.

I am a casual fighting game fan. As such I realize most fighting game features aren't meant for me. But there are just some things I won't accept, after getting capcom-burned. Bought Street Fighter 4. Reluctantly bought SSF4. Passed on SSF4AE. Bought MvC3. Passed on UMvC3. Passed on SFxT. The common link? I don't like supporting bad practices. I don't want to buy a promise. I hope the game does well and gets patched and then ill happily buy it. If this earns me scorn and derision, so be it, it's just how I feel.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tried the demo: Gorgeous, friggin' gorgeous and the music is godlike too.
The demo only has 4 or 5 tutorials but god dammit if theyre not awesome.

While i dont like the art direction the game is full with personality and detailed animations.

Anyone got any Cerebella combos? I keep doing basic stuff for 4000-6000 damage.
In fact this one time I did a 7000 damage combo but...I forgot how I did it =V
i posted a pretty simple 7k combo earlier. my new max damage meterless combo does 7693 damage:

j.hk, mp (stagger), j.hk, c.lp, c.mp, hp xx tumbling run -> kanchou (wallbounce), c.hp (launch), j.mp, j.hk (hard knockdown), c.lk (otg), c.mk (relaunch), j.lp, slaps (restand), lp, c.mk xx devil horns, mp, hk (2-hits) xx cere-copter

if you wanna add super at the end using locknload instead, it does 8369 damage. i don't think spending the meter is worth it though unless you plan to dhc. works anywhere but the corner since kanchou doesn't seem to work against cornered opponents.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
May or may not participate in a tournament in Montreal today. Need to think of a shameful anime related name, so be on the lookout.

Beats

May or may not participate in a tournament in Montreal today. Need to think of a shameful anime related name, so be on the lookout.

Is that the Montreal Air Dashers tournament? I didn't know they were having SkullGirls there. I might go if that's the case depending on how late it is.

I am a casual fighting game fan. As such I realize most fighting game features aren't meant for me. But there are just some things I won't accept, after getting capcom-burned. Bought Street Fighter 4. Reluctantly bought SSF4. Passed on SSF4AE. Bought MvC3. Passed on UMvC3. Passed on SFxT. The common link? I don't like supporting bad practices. I don't want to buy a promise. I hope the game does well and gets patched and then ill happily buy it. If this earns me scorn and derision, so be it, it's just how I feel.
The common link? Capcom

Don't let one company shit up an entire genre for you. There won't be anything like Skullgirls on the market(yes, this includes the disc market too) again for years and they've already gone on record stating that they'll be updating the game with patches. I don't know what else to tell you if you want to let one company act as the mouthpiece for an entire genre.

Note for Capcom fans: I'm not crapping on Capcom here. I don't give a shit what they do with DLC, gems or all that nonsense. Capcom is clearly the root of the issue here with this particular guy and I'm trying to make him understand that they are just one of many publishers in the grand scheme of things.

FSLink

Banned
The common link? Capcom

Don't let one company shit up an entire genre for you. There won't be anything like Skullgirls on the market(yes, this includes the disc market too) again for years and they've already gone on record stating that they'll be updating the game with patches. I don't know what else to tell you if you want to let one company act as the mouthpiece for an entire genre.

I agree. Especially since this game does a whole lot right, and leaving out the movelist isn't exactly a "bad practice" when there are actual technical difficulties with the much smaller dev team getting it in on time.

Vice

It isn't convenient. Convenience is worth a lot to consumers, and this is coming from someone who put the PDFs on his iphone to look at during training sessions.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is that the Montreal Air Dashers tournament? I didn't know they were having SkullGirls there. I might go if that's the case depending on how late it is.

Yeah look up the event on Facebook, someone posted a schedule as a reply to a comment. Skullgirls is one of the later events though.

Maybe I'll go as [NG]Fate/Zero Fan 316

about to download this, but is the ps3 version the one to have ?

Smaller load times and less issues when it comes to streaming (so you wont be seeing random hitboxes as often). I would say at this point in time it's definitely the version to buy if you have the option.

Yeah look up the event on Facebook, someone posted a schedule as a reply to a comment. Skullgirls is one of the later events though.

Maybe I'll go as [NG]Fate/Zero Fan 316

Fate Zero is too respectable. Name yourself QwaserDude or something. :)

EDIT: Although raising the awareness of Fate Zero is never a bad thing.

This game is phenomenal! Played a good while yesterday with my friend as Peacock and she is just awesome. This game has incredible amounts of charm and love put into it and it really shows!

How do you unlock the 9th color?

7th color

Story mode

8th color

Arcade mode

9th color

25 wins (yours or the opponent's, I assume it needs to be a human opponent though)

10th color

At the Local Versus controller select screen
360: Down, RB, Up, LB, Y, B
PS3: Down, R1, Up, L1, [], X

Steaks

FYI There's a pretty nasty bug where if you hit "select stage" in online versus as 2P, the game stops being able to proceed.
Is there a screenshot list showing all the color alts for each character yet? I'd love to see what ones are in.

Hit start at the character select screen when selecting a character.

Enk

makes good threads.
Ugh, there's this Peacock + Double guy(s) I keep fighting on the ranks that has become very aggravating. Basically he just sits all the way back flings as much crap at you as possible plus using a Double assist and I could not get in on him at all (I main Valentine). Everytime I get close he would run all the way to the other corner and continues his barrage of attacks. I tried attacking Double as he brought her out but he would bring in the homing ceiling drop that would disrupt my attacks. Very, very annoying.

shaowebb

Ugh, there's this Peacock + Double guy(s) I keep fighting on the ranks that has become very aggravating. Basically he just sits all the way back flings as much crap at you as possible plus using a Double assist and I could not get in on him at all (I main Valentine). Everytime I get close he would run all the way to the other corner and continues his barrage of attacks. I tried attacking Double as he brought her out but he would bring in the homing ceiling drop that would disrupt my attacks. Very, very annoying.

Did it look something like this.
Double has one of the better assists for a zoning Peacock user. I'm also finding Painwheel's fingers to work pretty nice too. Premise is the same. Throw a ton of crap and if you get close have a space eating assist setup to lock you down for a moment. Charge homing attack during the assist portions. People kill themselves trying to get in and often just get shoved back away by the assist.

Its a nightmare when you run into another Peacock with the same tactic though...

Enk

makes good threads.
Did it look something like this.
Double has one of the better assists for a zoning Peacock user. I'm also finding Painwheel's fingers to work pretty nice too. Premise is the same. Throw a ton of crap and if you get close have a space eating assist setup to lock you down for a moment. Charge homing attack during the assist portions. People kill themselves trying to get in and often just get shoved back away by the assist.

Its a nightmare when you run into another Peacock with the same tactic though...

Yep! That video was exactly what all my battles looked like. If this keeps up and I can't find a solid way in then I'll sadly just stay away from ranked.

shaowebb

Yep! That video was exactly what all my battles looked like. If this keeps up and I can't find a solid way in then I'll sadly just stay away from ranked.

I've lost by folks using similar assists to clear paths, good use of double jump/air dash into projectiles (This was Valentine's approach), and blockbuster punishes. Also Filia's hair spike in the hands of someone who knows its range can mess with this. If you're going in with one woman army its rough, but with the right assists its manageable if you remember to block the right stuff.

Cerebella killed my Peacock with those grabs and her range using Valentine's dashing slice thing as her assist. It was basically block, assist called at right time to hit me so I couldn't summon homing attack, them move in and knock the hell outta me. Also Valentine's air scalpel blockbuster was PAINFUL to my zoning. I had to start running with teleports and shotgun. Didn't work.

In hindsight what I think I should do if someone gets in close to Peacock is try for throws. I saw Mike Z do that a lot. I just need a quick move I can pop at short range to induce some block stun to make it beat out people with better ranged throws.

joe2187

Banned
Rushdown valentine is my nemesis, sometimes I get so messed up against her.

I misjudge the recovery on fillia's cr.M and get punished while I try to punish it, so bad.

V_Arnold

So, like Marvel, there is literally NO ONE outside me playing the game in Europe?

Come on, guys, get your shit together! Stop messing around in Soul Calibur V in France :p

Top Bottom